Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Heavens feel is like the Char's counterattack of the nasuverse

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fate is 77, UBW is Empire, and HF is Return.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Gaius Marius posted:

The easiest way to think of the Routes is in terms of Kanye albums

First Route is obviously Heartless, You can see where it's going, it ain't bad, but it feels underdeveloped

UBW is My beautiful Dark twisted fantasy, the obvious Magnum Opus, Everything is built on to amazing results, you're going to be blown away

Heaven's Feel is Watch the Throne It's not bad, but after the last route you're expecting more, there's real doldrums, but goddamn when it hits it hits

I think that's the best way to describe Fate

I buy this.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I think the real question is which route is The Chronic, which is 2001, and which is Compton.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
but which one is the dark souls of the nasuverse?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I'd love a Platinum style fighting game in the Fate-verse.

Screaming Rules of Nature while Saber beats gently caress out of some giant Beast.

I guess there's the Extella musou games but they don't really click the same way.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hf3 was loving rad. Rider v saberalt was incredible. but I agree it’s missing some serious explanation of what the gently caress is going on at the end. If you aren’t a turbo nasuverse nerd it’s not especially apparent.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

When Rin blew up her gem sword and tried to go in with a knife was that her actual plan? She had to know Sakura could shrug off stab wounds right?

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

Inflammatory posted:

but which one is the dark souls of the nasuverse?

Angel Notes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Polgas posted:

When Rin blew up her gem sword and tried to go in with a knife was that her actual plan? She had to know Sakura could shrug off stab wounds right?
I'll be honest I never really understood how it was supposed to work and we've already seen Sakura literally regenerate from getting sliced apart from Gilgamesh. I've always just assumed Rin had like, a super duper secret Tohsaka knife and/or she knew of a specific weak point. Or the gem sword explosion had secondary field effects to help it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Polgas posted:

I seem to recall the VN implying pretty strongly that despite all her talk, Rin wasn't actually willing to kill Sakura when it came down to it.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Thuryl posted:

I seem to recall the VN implying pretty strongly that despite all her talk, Rin wasn't actually willing to kill Sakura when it came down to it.

Except for the bad end where she does.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Thuryl posted:

Her mindset for the endgame confrontation was to ostensibly give Shirou as much of a chance as possible, but when the rubber hit the road she was going do what she felt was necessary. Hence why a fair amount of her dialogue was about buying time with the Gem Sword until she felt she no longer could (I honestly can't remember how much of this was portrayed in the movie version though).

Except, well, "Oh, I can't".

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It just occurred to me, how was Shirou able to project Rule Breaker? I guess it means that Archer encountered it at some point? Would that "some point" be his random adventures, or does he (Archer) have a specific, presonal canon FSN route that he went through? Or did he go through them all? If he went through them all, it kinda makes his performance a bit unremarkable considering this is almost New Game+ for him

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shirou saw it in the first film.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Shirou sees Rule Breaker when he and Saber confront Caster where it looks like she had murdered Kuzuki with it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

OnimaruXLR posted:

It just occurred to me, how was Shirou able to project Rule Breaker? I guess it means that Archer encountered it at some point? Would that "some point" be his random adventures, or does he (Archer) have a specific, presonal canon FSN route that he went through? Or did he go through them all? If he went through them all, it kinda makes his performance a bit unremarkable considering this is almost New Game+ for him

Shirou just by looking at a Sword basically knows everything he needs to know about it; and basically he saw Rule Breaker when Shirou and Saber were at the temple when the Shadow ate Medea.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Both the anime and the VN went out of their way to show Medea holding Rule Breaker when Shirou arrived.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah that's a big Chekhov's Gun they make sure to set up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I still don't understand why Rider's NP is called Bellerophon when it's loving Pegasus. I mean, I understand the tangential story link between the name and the creature, but it still makes no loving sense.

Nasu gonna Nasu, I guess.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
NP names aren't always literally the thing in question. Sometimes it's a reference to something else.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

"He is also known for capturing the winged horse Pegasus with the help of Athena’s charmed bridle, and earning the disfavour of the gods after attempting to ride Pegasus to Mount Olympus to join them."

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

medusa's big np is blood fort andromeda

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly the weirdest part to me is that her EYES aren't her big NP, since that the main thing she's remembered for. Other than the snake hair, of course, but it seems that part was metaphorical or something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's sorta works given that half her deal in the novel is the difference in how she is vs how she's perceived.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Aurora posted:

"He is also known for capturing the winged horse Pegasus with the help of Athena’s charmed bridle, and earning the disfavour of the gods after attempting to ride Pegasus to Mount Olympus to join them."

Thanks for quoting wikipedia like I didn't already know that. :rolleyes:

So this begs the question on what Bellerophon would think of Medusa having a NP with his name. He's obviously famous enough to be a servant in his own right.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

So this begs the question on what Bellerophon would think of Medusa having a NP with his name. He's obviously famous enough to be a servant in his own right.

Mordred's NP shares its name with Arturia.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Mordred's NP shares its name with Arturia.

That makes more sense though, as the whole point of released Clarent is that it is fueled by Mordred's hatred of her father. And it isn't like "Arthur" is the name of the sword, just a form of Clarent.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is basically Mordred yelling gently caress you Dad but doing so shoots a giant laser beam.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

don't ask stupid questions ig

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

It's sorta works given that half her deal in the novel is the difference in how she is vs how she's perceived.

But her eyes at least seem to work similar to the legends.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah but at a lesser effect, like how she really isn't as bad a person as she seems in legend.

In all honesty I think the Servants in base fate are weak as hell. Half are gods or demigods that's some nonsense, nearly all the spinoff's have done better

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gaius Marius posted:

In all honesty I think the Servants in base fate are weak as hell. Half are gods or demigods that's some nonsense, nearly all the spinoff's have done better

You mean from a story/character perspective?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Both but to a lesser extent as character's although HA does a lot to fix that. But c'mon man, Medusa and Hercules are both bullshit, and Gil barely gets a pass.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Clarste posted:

Honestly the weirdest part to me is that her EYES aren't her big NP, since that the main thing she's remembered for. Other than the snake hair, of course, but it seems that part was metaphorical or something.

This is honestly probably due to the idea of Mystic Eyes already being in Kara no Kyoukai and Nasu not wanting to look like he was just rehashing another character with special eyes being their big thing. Having them be Mystic Eyes of Petrification and just something people had in the Age of Gods works well enough for me, at least.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

But as we've seen, like, a lot, a Noble Phantasm doesn't have to be an item or anything. It could be a spell or a trait they have or whatever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The FSN servants are cool and I like how their stories link to their masters.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
In fairness, it's a tall order to make eyes dramatic enough to support her scenes. It wouldn't be enough on its own to let Rider look down on the other Servants. A Noble Phantasm has to be something that lets the one who has it tower over others, at least when it's at its peak. It's a high bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

nrook posted:

In fairness, it's a tall order to make eyes dramatic enough to support her scenes. It wouldn't be enough on its own to let Rider look down on the other Servants. A Noble Phantasm has to be something that lets the one who has it tower over others, at least when it's at its peak. It's a high bar.

Isn't that basically what Blood Fort is? It's just her mystic eyes in the form of a bounded field. It's just she's usually nerf'd by having Shinji as a proxy master, so it's basically never seen at full power.