Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

twistedmentat posted:

Some I like but have mixed feelings about are Inquistor; Martyr and Gladius. Martyr is a Diablo style game while Gladius is a 4x game.
I used to chime into these discussions to point out how great a proper bioware-style inquisitor RPG would be. Guess I now have to chime in fantasizing about an Eisenhorn remake \ sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kennel posted:

I'm not sure why anyone thought this wouldn't happen (e. after Game Pass got an updated version).

easy for me to say that now, but whatevs

This should have happened within the first week of the game's release after it had become a smash hit success. If they were cheap enough back then to avoid paying a single programmer to fix a bunch of easy-to-deal-with issues, then there'd be no reason not to expect them to be weird about it now. Better late than never, I guess.

On a different note, two new entries in the Dread X Collection series have been released recently: Dread X The Hunt and Dread X 3.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The best WH40K game is undoubtedly E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy.

Since the thread is on the topic of disappointments, I just completed Aquanox: Deep Descent. It's a game that befuddles me, since it falls short of the Aquanox standard, which isn't terribly high to begin with. I consider the series a guilty pleasure, there is nothing else quite like it even if they aren't terribly good games. I even backed the kickstarter, on the basis that it wouldn't be that hard to live up to the quality of the Aquanox series. I suppose I didn't think that the developers wouldn't have any idea of what worked for the Aquanox games to begin with and so create systems that are worse in every way. I enjoy the submarine gameplay of the Aquanox games, which generally have a great deal of maneuverability in somewhat open maps. In Deep Descent every single map is either a narrow canyon or a cavern. Coupled with abysmal maneuverability on the subs themselves, there is no useful positioning in combat, you are always a sitting duck and the only viable strategy is to take the beefiest, slowest submarine available to you. This is exacerbated by how combat encounters are designed, which is to have half a dozen enemies spawn immediately surrounding you. So combat gameplay is simply sitting in place popping one enemy sub after another as they continue to spawn surrounding you, and using repair items to stay alive, until you have killed all the waves of enemies. Weapons have also been simplified, and there are no cases for finesse since all combat unfolds at close range. No need for different types of missiles, sniper weapons, or anything exotic. Close-range DPS is all that matters.

It's not even like I expect much in terms of story from an Aquanox game, but DD goes out of its way to make what lore exists for the franchise worse. After 3 games the Bionts were still a creepy unknown: all anyone knows is that they are ships piloted by neural tissue hardwired into the controls and hostile to all human ships. DD retcons Bionts into literally just the Borg. DD also introduces aliens on Earth and pervasive alien technology, which undercuts any themes the series has. The setting is that the surviving bits of humanity have all been forced to survive underwater after the surface of the Earth has become uninhabitable because of pollution and nuclear war. Of course humanity refused to learn anything and has established new warring civilizations undersea. Not terribly original, but it is something. Now it turns out that humanity is trapped underwater as penitence forced on us by aliens that found humanity unworthy.

My expectations weren't high. Like the voice-acting is bad, but Aquanox has quite possibly the worst English voice-acting I've ever heard in a game, so that isn't worth complaining about. But Aquanox: Deep Descent was worse that even my low expectations, and damning for a game, lost all the gameplay fun the series had.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just saw Terminal Velocity is on Steam. When did that happen? 13 of my friends own it so it must have been a while ago.

God drat if they got Fury 3 up on there I’d be delighted. Then probably dissapointed when I actually played it. But definitely delighted for a bit.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

twistedmentat posted:

Some I like but have mixed feelings about are Inquistor; Martyr and Gladius. Martyr is a Diablo style game while Gladius is a 4x game.

I find the best quality of Gladius be that in multiplayer it seems to avoid the usual 4X pitfall of the whole game is a cold war between players where people are afraid to initiate any conflict. As the game is pretty much a wargame masquerading as a 4X the action starts at the moment you see anybody. I have played too many usual 4X multiplayer games where the game usually fizzles out when it seems someone is winning without any meaningful resolution.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm asking this over here too since it gets quite a bit more traffic but I'm closing in on 600 hours on Dyson Sphere Project and I'm getting to a point where I can see considering maybe playing something else, some weeks or months down the line. Excluding Factorio and Satisfactory, what games are going to compare to DSP? I don't mean strictly "space factory game" but I like the gameplay loop and progression model especially, where you get to a point where there's a billion things in your world and you're like "I made all of these things". I don't know if I'm looking for gameplay as much as a vibe.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

Since the thread is on the topic of disappointments, I just completed Aquanox: Deep Descent.

My expectations weren't high. Like the voice-acting is bad, but Aquanox has quite possibly the worst English voice-acting I've ever heard in a game, so that isn't worth complaining about. But Aquanox: Deep Descent was worse that even my low expectations, and damning for a game, lost all the gameplay fun the series had.

Well that sucks rear end. I held off grabbing it even as much as I enjoyed Aquanox in the past (and still do) because it had a pretty rough development cycle and it just looked like it didn't come out great but that's even more disappointing than I imagined.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just saw Terminal Velocity is on Steam. When did that happen? 13 of my friends own it so it must have been a while ago.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ok y'all weird question that I think I know the answer to. I've been porting over my older roms to Steam so I can just stream them from my computer to my shield and tablet without having to have everything downloaded three different places. I got everything working properly for RPCS3 and PCSX2 but when I looking into doing Retroarch I found out that they're adding that to Steam natively so I wouldn't have to do any shenanigans with it. I got it up and running, but when I hopped on my shield to test everything out in Big Picture Mode, Retroarch refuses to show up in my library.

It shows up in my "Resume and Explore" page, as long as it's one of the most recent games I've played:

But not in any other library at all:

I'm sharing my library with my boyfriend, so it'll fall off the Resume and Explore page really quick, and then I wouldn't be able to run it again remotely until I run it locally first. Which kind of defeats the purpose of running it through Steam completely.

So basically, I'm wondering if there's a setting or something I need to hit to show Playtest games in the Big Picture Mode (that's what seems to be the issue) or if I'm better off just removing the Steam version from my library and then adding it as a Non-Steam game like my other two emulators. I figure it's that last one, but if there's something I overlooked that'd save me some effort.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Soysaucebeast posted:

I got it up and running, but when I hopped on my shield to test everything out in Big Picture Mode, Retroarch refuses to show up in my library.

didnt someone else here recently have the exact same problem with retroarch?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Rebel Blob posted:

Since the thread is on the topic of disappointments, I just completed Aquanox: Deep Descent.
[...]

:(

The German voice acting in Aquanox was always pretty good, but this does not instil confidence.

I just want another Schleichfahrt dammit.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Awesome! posted:

didnt someone else here recently have the exact same problem with retroarch?

Oh man, I skimmed the thread some but I guess I missed that. Did they get it resolved?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

other people posted:

Hey I have a dumb problem with steam and my kid really hopes someone can help me.

We use the steamlink app on a samsung tv to stream steam and it works fine.

But, the past few weeks, one game (Retroarch) no longer appears in my library when in Big Picture mode. So we can't play Mario Bros on the TV :(.

I have rebooted, updated, joined Beta, and ensured that while in big picture mode there are no filters applied. I've tried adding the game to my favorites but Big P does not list any favorites.

Otherwise, the game is still in my library and I can see and run it fine locally, just not in Big Picture. What the gently caress.

And yeah I've tried googlin' but other than checking library filters i haven't found anything more about this problem.

Looks like there was no definitive solution but someone did mention trying to add the exe as a non-steam game and seeing if that works. Not sure that we had an update after that from what I can tell. You can click the quote to go back and see the discussion about it

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

:(

The German voice acting in Aquanox was always pretty good, but this does not instil confidence.

I just want another Schleichfahrt dammit.

I'd wish for a game with a German VO as great as Gothic 2 again :/

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

explosivo posted:

Looks like there was no definitive solution but someone did mention trying to add the exe as a non-steam game and seeing if that works. Not sure that we had an update after that from what I can tell. You can click the quote to go back and see the discussion about it

Yea, I only went back 20 pages, looks like that wasn't far enough. Oh well though, I was running into the same thing all over online, people went from being able to run RetroArch in BPM to suddenly not being able to and I couldn't find a solution anywhere. I did end up just going back to the stand alone program and then adding it as a non-steam game. It runs exactly the same, only now I get thumbnail art too (for some reason the steam version didn't show any). I guess when they do the official release I'll think about swapping back, but I'm good for now. Thanks for the assist though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PlushCow posted:

Maybe the bad press will pressure them to reach out and make changes and they'll stop digging in their heels :negative:

I strongly doubt it. Besides their complete refusal to hear criticism and wiping out chat logs, there's a basic mechanic of the game ("karma") to strongly discourage you from being violent... which is kind of weird for a revenge fantasy game where we know the violence would have been justified. But, you know, don't they know it's all about incremental change and decorum?

The racism is too well ingrained.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 13, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zesty posted:

I strongly doubt it. Besides their complete refusal to hear criticism and wiping out chat logs, there's a basic mechanic of the game ("karma") to strongly discourage you from being violent... which is kind of weird for a revenge fantasy game where we know the violence would have been justified. But, you know, don't they know it's all about incremental change and decorum?

The racism is too well ingrained.

The karma thing as described is a real bad take. Facing down total war and extermination apparently killing your enemies cattle will make other tribes less likely to ally with you.

Maybe don't make a revenge fantasy game based on a real life genocide if you really want to pull the "truth is in the middle" card.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I mean, that just sounds like a heat, wanted level or escalation meter by another name, intending to push players more towards the stealth side of stealth-action?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I mean, that just sounds like a heat, wanted level or escalation meter by another name, intending to push players more towards the stealth side of stealth-action?

Indigenous people telling me this mechanic is reminiscent of racist arguments used to keep them compliant with genocide.

But I like it!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rebel Blob posted:

Since the thread is on the topic of disappointments, I just completed Aquanox: Deep Descent. It's a game that befuddles me, since it falls short of the Aquanox standard, which isn't terribly high to begin with. I consider the series a guilty pleasure, there is nothing else quite like it even if they aren't terribly good games. I even backed the kickstarter, on the basis that it wouldn't be that hard to live up to the quality of the Aquanox series. I suppose I didn't think that the developers wouldn't have any idea of what worked for the Aquanox games to begin with and so create systems that are worse in every way. I enjoy the submarine gameplay of the Aquanox games, which generally have a great deal of maneuverability in somewhat open maps. In Deep Descent every single map is either a narrow canyon or a cavern. Coupled with abysmal maneuverability on the subs themselves, there is no useful positioning in combat, you are always a sitting duck and the only viable strategy is to take the beefiest, slowest submarine available to you. This is exacerbated by how combat encounters are designed, which is to have half a dozen enemies spawn immediately surrounding you. So combat gameplay is simply sitting in place popping one enemy sub after another as they continue to spawn surrounding you, and using repair items to stay alive, until you have killed all the waves of enemies. Weapons have also been simplified, and there are no cases for finesse since all combat unfolds at close range. No need for different types of missiles, sniper weapons, or anything exotic. Close-range DPS is all that matters.

It's not even like I expect much in terms of story from an Aquanox game, but DD goes out of its way to make what lore exists for the franchise worse. After 3 games the Bionts were still a creepy unknown: all anyone knows is that they are ships piloted by neural tissue hardwired into the controls and hostile to all human ships. DD retcons Bionts into literally just the Borg. DD also introduces aliens on Earth and pervasive alien technology, which undercuts any themes the series has. The setting is that the surviving bits of humanity have all been forced to survive underwater after the surface of the Earth has become uninhabitable because of pollution and nuclear war. Of course humanity refused to learn anything and has established new warring civilizations undersea. Not terribly original, but it is something. Now it turns out that humanity is trapped underwater as penitence forced on us by aliens that found humanity unworthy.

The only thing I remember about aquanox is it's outstandingly horny cover art

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zesty posted:

Indigenous people telling me this mechanic is reminiscent of racist arguments used to keep them compliant with genocide.

But I like it!

That's a huge leap from "killing masses of people and their livestock attracts more heat than stealth and assassinations". Honestly, the only issue is that they called it "karma", and not any other label.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rebel Blob posted:

I had no idea it had even come out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's a huge leap from "killing masses of people and their livestock attracts more heat than stealth and assassinations". Honestly, the only issue is that they called it "karma", and not any other label.

Dig up.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It sure sounds like trying to gamify a real-life tragedy was a really stupid and lovely idea. (Somebody remind me to dig up this post whenever 6 Days comes out)

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 14, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
while it is possible to make a not-racist stealth-shooter sandbox with crafting game set in a generic north american frontier setting with highly stereotyped north american indian pastiches, probably the worst way to go about it is to make it a game where the stereotypical pastiche character slaughters thousands of european settlers. there's really no way to drain the racism from that concept

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There should be a game where you take part of the Pemmican Wars. You go out and shoot a bunch of buffalo then you go out and shoot the most dangerous game of all: Man

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Mierenneuker posted:

A game can be obviously extremely flawed, yet still oh so fascinating and enthralling. It can become an obsession to beat it. To overcome it.

I know it all too well.

How many hours of your total playtime were spent trying to get the connected contracts achievement? So many people hop onto your contract and then don't help at all, hoping you'll do the work of six people by yourself. Almost every Volition game of the past decade has had some weird network-related achievement (like upload your character to the now defunct servers) that really confuses me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I see that TemTem just got an update to add another island, a bunch of new (ugh) Tems, and other gameplay stuff. Did anyone keep up with this after it launched in EA? I played it for ~5 hours and actually really liked it but at that point it was super light on content but it looks like they've added a lot of new stuff since then!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Rebel Blob posted:

This is objectively correct.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Here's my regret.

Wargroove was one of the games I was eyeballing in one of the Humble Choice Bundles. I did not like it. It... It feels so slow. After two hours in, the pace didn't increase. I remember Advance Wars having a faster pace, but maybe I'm wrong? The single Barracks spawn thing is just so bad. Maybe it'd be okay if wagons could carry two infantry units or something. Hopefully it improved (more Barracks?) for people that went beyond the two-hour mark, but eeeerrrrrugghhhhhhh.

Gonna try Wildfire and Chimera Squad soonish, as I was looking forward to those as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're not wrong, Wargroove is a bad (in a long line of them) Advanced Wars clone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I see The Medium is on sale, I vaguely recall seeing mention of it awhile back but largely it has just slipped completely under my radar (I'm gonna assume it was on some stupid exclusivity deal or something?) - an extremely cursory look gives a Control-ish vibe, is the game anything at all like that?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jerusalem posted:

I see The Medium is on sale, I vaguely recall seeing mention of it awhile back but largely it has just slipped completely under my radar (I'm gonna assume it was on some stupid exclusivity deal or something?) - an extremely cursory look gives a Control-ish vibe, is the game anything at all like that?

I've played a bit into it, only 45 minutes or so, and it's not really comparable to Control in gameplay at all. So far it's just been walking around and solving some modest traversal puzzles (some of which use the main gimmick of both game worlds rendered in real time side by side). I will probably pick it back up at some point and keep playing it but nothing's really holding my attention all that well right now.

E: also I've been playing it on game pass and spent no additional monies on it, so I may not be giving it the most critical eye right now, but I am sort of getting silent hill vibes so far which I definitely like.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thanks! Sounds like something I might look at when I have far less in my backlog to deal with and it's at a lower price point.

I usually dig games with the ability to jump between realities (Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver :rip:) but having them rendered side-by-side seems like a weird way to do that type of thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks! Sounds like something I might look at when I have far less in my backlog to deal with and it's at a lower price point.

I usually dig games with the ability to jump between realities (Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver :rip:) but having them rendered side-by-side seems like a weird way to do that type of thing.

It's on pc game pass too so if you wanted to see if it's your jam you could always snag a trial and give it a go. Also you could find out if your pc can run it at a playable framerate because mine sure couldn't. Playing it on a series x now that I have one.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jamfrost posted:

Here's my regret.

Wargroove was one of the games I was eyeballing in one of the Humble Choice Bundles. I did not like it. It... It feels so slow. After two hours in, the pace didn't increase. I remember Advance Wars having a faster pace, but maybe I'm wrong? The single Barracks spawn thing is just so bad. Maybe it'd be okay if wagons could carry two infantry units or something. Hopefully it improved (more Barracks?) for people that went beyond the two-hour mark, but eeeerrrrrugghhhhhhh.

Gonna try Wildfire and Chimera Squad soonish, as I was looking forward to those as well.

Nah, it's just bad. Slow, and way worse level design. It makes you realize how well put-together those old maps were. The hero mechanics were interesting, but they end up making every map where you have to fight an enemy hero an incredible slog.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Wargroove wasn't bad but it was just mediocre enough that I got too bored to continue playing. It looks pretty though.

There have been a lot of indie games that manage to make a decent clone of an old niche game so I can't fault their execution too much, but the experience is just not good enough to be worth playing. It's like I play enough to remind me of how much I like the original and so I just go and play that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've watched some stuff on The Medium and it looks interesting and the kind of spooky game i'm looking for, being mostly an investigative and puzzle solving game, rather than trying not to die to horrible monsters that pop out of the darkness. It just looks so, fleshy. The same reason I probably will never play Scorn, if it ever comes out.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bloodplay it again posted:

How many hours of your total playtime were spent trying to get the connected contracts achievement? So many people hop onto your contract and then don't help at all, hoping you'll do the work of six people by yourself. Almost every Volition game of the past decade has had some weird network-related achievement (like upload your character to the now defunct servers) that really confuses me.

Oh, I imagine something between 12-20 hours. There is a segment of a certain mission in particular I played over and over again to farm certain elite units. I quickly learned which contracts I didn't need to bother with altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

the medium, and this is not an exaggeration, uses the holocaust to humanize a pedophile

it’s also a barely functional hack job of a game that relies on apeing SH’s aesthetics to make a decent trailer, and the split screen gimmick is a clownish mess - imagine the heroine constantly, passionately shouting and gesturing at things that aren’t there, and what that does to the tone of a scene

do not buy the medium

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 14, 2021