Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Had a lovely hike this morning. He is doing an excellent job with the gentle leader and basically walks loose-leash the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Good doggo!

Uh, probably don't want to let him drink pond/lake water though.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pond, no, fresh water in a flowing stream? Sure.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So my poor large boi managed to gouge himself on a broken branch in the yard and needed five stitches, which he got yesterday. He's eight months old and eighty pounds. He's wearing a cone now.

We're supposed to keep him inactive but he's an eight month old puppy. When he is loose in the house he runs around and slams his cone edge into our legs with all his mass behind it and it hurts horribly and is making our other dog snarl at him. When he's in the crate he whines miserably because the crate is sadness.

Any tips on how to cope and manage a large injured pup who doesn't understand why he can't jump and play right now?

We're doing walks of course but those are limited due to our work schedules.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think proper crate training might help? He should learn to associate the crate with safety and goodness, not sadness.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Keep him leashed to you or in an x pen so he's not storming around like a wrecking ball in the house. Try other cone options like a comfy cone or inflatable donut. Ask your vet about some good drugs to make him chill out a little.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Collarchat: I found these gorgeous ones at a local store while I was debating what to buy online. I wish the hardware was metal instead of plastic, but it otherwise seems sturdy enough at least for wearing around the house. https://wolfgangusa.com/collections/beast/martingale

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Slow News Day posted:

I think proper crate training might help? He should learn to associate the crate with safety and goodness, not sadness.

Yeah he's normally very good in the crate, it's just the enforced boredom getting him down.

I'll try keeping him leashed indoors near me. Thats probably the best option.

And yeah I'll order a big inflatable donut for him, good thought, thanks.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

If the pup can tolerate it, go with a topical like Advantix because it also repels as well as kills. With the edibles, the ticks and fleas need to bite to be killed so your dog can still end up having them crawl around on them and bring them inside.

Thanks for the advice, we'll stick with the oral for now but this sounds like a good option to try at some point.

Next question: puppy is 10 weeks old, largely eating out of a bowl right now. We're trying to switch him over to eating his meals out of a kong. Just his kibble soaked in a bit of water and then frozen inside a kong, with a bit of peanut butter + beef liver at the opening to get his attention. So far (and it's only been a day of trying) he really doesn't get it. We tried Kongs in the past, just filled with his dry kibble, and he was happy to push them around and have the kibble fall out, but he's not into chewing on them. Now that it's frozen inside he'll lick the opening a bit but he doesn't seem interested in trying to chew it.

Would love to get him trained on chewing. Should we be persistent? After ~6 hours we just gave him some food in a bowl because he was getting really hangry. Should we just be persistent? Another tactic?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Turds in magma posted:

Thanks for the advice, we'll stick with the oral for now but this sounds like a good option to try at some point.

Next question: puppy is 10 weeks old, largely eating out of a bowl right now. We're trying to switch him over to eating his meals out of a kong. Just his kibble soaked in a bit of water and then frozen inside a kong, with a bit of peanut butter + beef liver at the opening to get his attention. So far (and it's only been a day of trying) he really doesn't get it. We tried Kongs in the past, just filled with his dry kibble, and he was happy to push them around and have the kibble fall out, but he's not into chewing on them. Now that it's frozen inside he'll lick the opening a bit but he doesn't seem interested in trying to chew it.

Would love to get him trained on chewing. Should we be persistent? After ~6 hours we just gave him some food in a bowl because he was getting really hangry. Should we just be persistent? Another tactic?

Gobi is the same way. He gets bored of any toy that isn’t consistently delivering food. I tried frozen kings for weeks, he just didn’t care. In fact lately he has been getting bored of his food and will eat breakfast over a 2-3 hour period.

What I have found that works is combining food and training. Dinner is when I train Gobi, and I usually just mix in some cut up treats/chicken/cheese with his kibble and use it to train.

Did a sit? Here’s a handful. Stay? Chicken and kibble. It’s a great way to keep their attention, get them to eat quickly, and practice commands.

Despite not chewing on toys, Gobi is chewing on everything else. Put a small hole in my wall, tore up a shoe, and would probably put a hole in me if I let him. He only does it around me though. I’ve started going into work half days and he’s an angel when I leave. Soon as I get home though it’s bite city: population me.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Gobi is the same way. He gets bored of any toy that isn’t consistently delivering food. I tried frozen kings for weeks, he just didn’t care. In fact lately he has been getting bored of his food and will eat breakfast over a 2-3 hour period.

What I have found that works is combining food and training. Dinner is when I train Gobi, and I usually just mix in some cut up treats/chicken/cheese with his kibble and use it to train.

Did a sit? Here’s a handful. Stay? Chicken and kibble. It’s a great way to keep their attention, get them to eat quickly, and practice commands.

Despite not chewing on toys, Gobi is chewing on everything else. Put a small hole in my wall, tore up a shoe, and would probably put a hole in me if I let him. He only does it around me though. I’ve started going into work half days and he’s an angel when I leave. Soon as I get home though it’s bite city: population me.

Thanks for the perspective - does Gobi chew on other things? Our dog will happily chew on a nylabone or a rope toy or my hand, but is just not interested in Kongs. Right now he waits for the food to thaw inside them and then bats them around until it falls out. Which works, I guess, but isn't exactly the chew training I wanted.

Maybe it takes more than 2 days...

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Turds in magma posted:

Thanks for the perspective - does Gobi chew on other things? Our dog will happily chew on a nylabone or a rope toy or my hand, but is just not interested in Kongs. Right now he waits for the food to thaw inside them and then bats them around until it falls out. Which works, I guess, but isn't exactly the chew training I wanted.

Maybe it takes more than 2 days...

You can work up to a fully frozen long by starting with kibble in the Kong first, then slowly replace some kibble with wet food towards the mouth of the Kong until the whole thing is wet food, then freeze that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Still struggling to manage my ACD foster's energy levels. We do multiple fetch sessions throughout the day. After each one, he lies down on the floor panting. Sometimes takes a 15-20 minute nap. Then he bolts up, comes and sits next to my computer chair and just... stares at me, sometimes for an hour straight, until I can catch another break from work. It's like this the entire day, sometimes until like 8-9pm. Only then does he kinda sorta calm down.

He's a really sweet guy, very loving and loyal and smart, but man, the only reason I haven't adopted him is because I frankly don't see how it would work long term, especially once I'm vaccinated and ready to start going out again. And it kinda makes me sad. He has been with me for eight months now...

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 11, 2021

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Slow News Day posted:

Still struggling to manage my ACD foster's energy levels. We do multiple fetch sessions throughout the day. After each one, he lies down on the floor panting. Sometimes takes a 15-20 minute nap. Then he bolts up, comes and sits next to my computer chair and just... stares at me, sometimes for an hour straight, until I can catch another break from work. It's like this the entire day, sometimes until like 8-9pm. Only then does he kinda sorta calm down.

He's a really sweet guy, very loving and loyal and smart, but man, the only reason I haven't adopted him is because I frankly don't see how it would work long term, especially once I'm vaccinated and ready to start going out again. And it kinda makes me sad. He has been with me for eight months now...

That's just a herding dog thing. You get used to the laser eyes or teach them a solid "go to your bed" so at least they're staring from further away.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

That's just a herding dog thing. You get used to the laser eyes or teach them a solid "go to your bed" so at least they're staring from further away.

I put his bed behind my desk so as to form a barrier, but that just makes him not stay in the bed for more than one minute. I guess that explains why. I'll try moving it to the other side of the room or something...

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone have resources or advice on taking a dog camping?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Seconding this! Doggo is not thick furred, so some sort of sleeping bag or blanket is going to be necessary in this climate.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 11, 2021

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

My dog is pretty reactive toward other dogs, and we're working on counter conditioning and desensitization to try to reduce that problem. Results so far are promising during our group class sessions, but haven't yet yielded real-world improvement. I'm optimistic that we're making progress, though.

Perhaps related, or perhaps not, is another behavior that I've been noticing lately. When we return from somewhere (the park, day care, etc.) in the car, the dog gets amped up from 1 to 10 right when it's time to get out of the car. This doesn't happen at all when we are going somewhere, only when we're returning home. He tears out of the car and barks at anyone or anything within view. Sometimes the party continues while we're heading into the apartment building and through the halls. This doesn't happen when we've been on a walk and get back home on foot. It's a real pain in the rear end. How can I help this guy stay a little more chill when we're driving home?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Seconding this! Doggo is not thick furred, so some sort of sleeping bag or blanket is going to be necessary in this climate.

I have this
https://whyld-river.com/products/whyld-rivers-doggybag
Really well made.

Been looking at Ruffwear backpacks/harness, both to have her carry some of her own stuff, but also for the handle to help at tricky spots.

I carry food in ziploc bags and have a small plastic container that doubles as food and water bowl.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I have this
Really well made.

Been looking at Ruffwear backpacks/harness, both to have her carry some of her own stuff, but also for the handle to help at tricky spots.

I carry food in ziploc bags and have a small plastic container that doubles as food and water bowl.

Thanks!

I am not planning on taking her winter camping, but even summer nights can feel cold for a little dog if the night is moist. Is a sleeping bag easy for dog to get used to?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Thanks!

I am not planning on taking her winter camping, but even summer nights can feel cold for a little dog if the night is moist. Is a sleeping bag easy for dog to get used to?

I took it to the park a few times and had her lie on it there. She's not a huge fan, but once it was bed time in the tent and it was a bit chillly, she did not object at all!.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Random question but why do GSDs’ hips seem to sag? I don’t have one but it’s something I’ve noticed. Almost like they’re in a crouch position.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Show breeders

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

GSDs originally were a "tending" breed, where they acted like a fence by pacing along the perimeter of the flock of sheep all day keeping them in a property. In theory the long, sloping back helps them maintain a fast "flying trot" all day with less effort. Here's a video on GSD tending.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc80Gly-7kw

In practice, all breeds are capable of a flying trot if you get them trotting fast enough and the flashy trot and long back are mostly just for show judges. Sometimes it is less exaggerated than it seems because they are stacked in a 3 point stack, instead of the standard four square that most breeds are shown in and that stack can get really extreme even on dogs that would look fine if they were standing normally. A lot of times they just are hosed up in the spine with weak hocks that flap around like flippers when running. You can still find good-looking, functional GSDs but they have split into so many different lines that you really have to know what you're looking for.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How much do puppies cost? I think I halucinated a post ages ago saying that if you're paying for a dog you're doing it wrong. Have things changed since shelters and neutering/spaying have gotten better? Also, is covid demand making prices rise?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Even rescues can be several hundred depending on age of the dog and appearance so unless its literally a kid with a bunch of pups on the side of the road youre probably going to pay. Just try not to give a breeder 5 grand for a puppy unless thats really what you want for some reason.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Sharing a sleeping bag is possible, depending on the dog. The harness for lifting over scrambly bits is nice. The dog bowl remains an important part of our kit, despite last pupper no longer being with us

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Epitope posted:

How much do puppies cost? I think I halucinated a post ages ago saying that if you're paying for a dog you're doing it wrong. Have things changed since shelters and neutering/spaying have gotten better? Also, is covid demand making prices rise?

In a rural tiny shelter in upstate NY we paid roughly a hundred bucks for a sub-1 year old Apollo, and that included neutering. This was in 2017.

e: Found them again. Prices have gone up:

UFHA adoption fee is $200.00 for puppies/baby (8 weeks to 6 months), $150 for young dogs (7 - 12 months) and $125 for adult dogs (1 year or more). Purebred dogs with papers are $200.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 14, 2021

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Puppy prices have gone way up in the last decade or so, even at rescues. County pounds will still mostly offload any dog you want for $75 with nothing but a rabies shot but I don't know any rescue charging less than $250 and I live in podunk Ohio. My rescue dog was $175 in 2010 and the same rescue now charges $325 for adult dogs, $400 for puppies. I've seen rescues in bigger cities charge $500+.

If you're going to a good breeder with all the health testing etc expect to spend $1200-$3000 depending on breed.

Now kittens you can still scoop out of half the dumpsters in the country for free any day of the week.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Puppy prices have gone way up in the last decade or so, even at rescues. County pounds will still mostly offload any dog you want for $75 with nothing but a rabies shot but I don't know any rescue charging less than $250 and I live in podunk Ohio. My rescue dog was $175 in 2010 and the same rescue now charges $325 for adult dogs, $400 for puppies. I've seen rescues in bigger cities charge $500+.

If you're going to a good breeder with all the health testing etc expect to spend $1200-$3000 depending on breed.

Now kittens you can still scoop out of half the dumpsters in the country for free any day of the week.

Ok thanks. This more or less matches what we're encountering. Roughly double from last time. Seems like a lot o moolah, but if that's the price of entry guess that's what we gotta pay

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Demand for dogs has skyrocketed during the pandemic. You'll be able to get an untrained 18 month old somethingdoodle for pennies on the dollar soon

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, wow, just looked at my local shelter and they're all 250-300.

I think I paid $150 and $175 for my two in '17 and' 19 respectively. Wild.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m running into a weird issue with Gobi (5 1/2 month male Shiba) re: eating and peeing.

Eating:

when I first got him I would do breakfast in his cage (to help crate train) and dinner as a training reward. For the first two months or so he was ravenous, scarfing down every meal along with the training treats I’d give him throughout the day for potty training, commands,etc.

Over the past few weeks he has basically stopped eating unless I’m watching him or feeding him as an activity (like training with kibble). When we do that he’ll chow down, but when I just sit his bowl in the cage (or elsewhere) he won’t touch it all day. I’ve started doing half days in the office, and soon I will be gone all day so I’m prepping him for that. When I come home and kind of tell him to eat or play some game he’ll scarf it down no problem. Otherwise it sits there all day.

On one hand I know dogs will eat when they’re hungry, and he obviously still has an appetite, but it’s strange.

Peeing:

Similar situation with this. He has a grass turf potty pad that he’ll use sometimes when I’m home. He drinks a ton of water, so I take him out often, but sometimes I’m stuck in a meeting and he has to go, which is fine.

Lately I’ve been out in the afternoons, and sometimes I come back and he hasn’t peed at all. Again, this isn’t actually a real problem, as id rather him go outside exclusively, but it’s just a weird new thing he’s doing.

Maybe both of these are just him adjusting to me being gone regularly after being at home 24/7 the first few months I had him?

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I’m no expert but it sounds like Gobi is just adjusting to the new schedule.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

prom candy posted:

Demand for dogs has skyrocketed during the pandemic. You'll be able to get an untrained 18 month old somethingdoodle for pennies on the dollar soon

I don't believe it. Over the past eight months of fostering this ACD I've gotten less than ten emails from interested potential adopters.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Maybe both of these are just him adjusting to me being gone regularly after being at home 24/7 the first few months I had him?

That'd be my guess. Around 6 months is also when they are starting to mature a bit more from the baby puppy stage and some just need to eat less/eliminate less at that point.

Slow News Day posted:

I don't believe it. Over the past eight months of fostering this ACD I've gotten less than ten emails from interested potential adopters.

That's because no one sane wants an ACD.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Slow News Day posted:

The D in ACD doesn't stand for Doodle

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I have this
Really well made.

I'm wondering if I should get something like this for in-home use as well. The foster likes to sleep on the bed, under the blankets... which requires much more frequent bed sheet washing than normal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

The demand for puppies was through the roof at the start of quarantine but then no one actually trained them so now there’s a glut of year-old untrained dogs back on the market as people go back to work.