Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Pretty sure Odin's remark there is about Redcloak's state of mind.

The nail is Redcloak's grievance and his mission - in the original cliche, "nails" are problems. Every solution looks like a hammer meaning that every solution seems bad to him, because having the nail is more important to him than... I guess the overall carpentry project in this metaphor. Allowing any of the hammers to hit the nail might be good for the stability of the project, but it does mean you have to give up the nail. And the nail... is all he has. His entire life, right down to his name itself, has been about The Plan. He can't give it up.

Or I'm reading way too much into it.

I was thinking something along those lines, but nowhere near as clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail = you're universally applying the one solution you know how to use, even when it's inappropriate

so

When all you have is a nail, everything looks like a hammer = you have a problem but no means to solve it, so you'll try anything that remotely seems like it'll work

Durkon isn't using the method to deal with Redcloak that Thor originally recommended, but Thor won't second-guess him because he knows it's a tricky problem and they're desperate to do whatever it takes to solve it.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
In some sense the Gate is a nail, right? There's a magical patch over the holes in reality and the Gates are like nails keeping the patch in place. Maybe that's how Odin means it - all they have left is one nail.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

What if the nail is lawful good but the hammer is chaotic evil?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

rocketrobot posted:

I believe in this scenario the hammer will hit everything BUT the nail, causing the nail immense distress at the hammer not doing its job properly.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 13, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

rocketrobot posted:

Then what is true neutral? A plank?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nenonen posted:

Then what is true neutral? A plank?
Only if a dab is chaotic neutral

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

I believe in this scenario the hammer will hit everything BUT the nail, causing the nail immense distress at the hammer not doing its job properly.

Highly accurate response to my joke post

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Raenir Salazar posted:

He did forget the exact significance as to why Greenhilt is the larger threat than the Paladins.

There is literally no reason why Greenhilt should be a larger threat to him than the paladins, other than the fact that he's one of the main characters we've been following and the paladins are not. It wasn't a misdirection, what the MitD said was absolutely, 100% correct.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Clarste posted:

There is literally no reason why Greenhilt should be a larger threat to him than the paladins, other than the fact that he's one of the main characters we've been following and the paladins are not. It wasn't a misdirection, what the MitD said was absolutely, 100% correct.

I'm not sure what a misdirection has to do with anything; the point was to point out that while Redcloak remembered that he really should kill Roy for some reason he couldn't when prompted remember why when trying to convince Xykon. The point being that Redcloak isn't that detail oriented to remember Nale.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Gnoman posted:

Pretty sure it isn't, because Rich hasn't read Discworld. Not only that, but he actively avoids reading it because he doesn't want to be influenced.

OTOH, those posts are from 6 years and 12 years ago, respectively. He might have read Pratchett since then.

Sky Shadowing posted:

See, this is how you alignment-post.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sky Shadowing posted:

:perfect:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Only if a dab is chaotic neutral

We bringing glue into this?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think you'll find that the glue is stronger than the alignment system it's holding together.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

We are now!

The Gorilla Glue gorilla is Lawful Evil.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure what a misdirection has to do with anything; the point was to point out that while Redcloak remembered that he really should kill Roy for some reason he couldn't when prompted remember why when trying to convince Xykon. The point being that Redcloak isn't that detail oriented to remember Nale.

Well, my point was that there actually is no particular reason why he should kill Roy. It's not that he forgot, he just realized on thinking about it that Greenhilt wasn't as important as he thought.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Clarste posted:

Well, my point was that there actually is no particular reason why he should kill Roy. It's not that he forgot, he just realized on thinking about it that Greenhilt wasn't as important as he thought.

Actually no. Redcloak absolutely decides Roy needs to die and is a threat.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
It's basically the same as why Redcloak tried to murder Durkon on sight and had to be talked down before negotiations could even get started: anyone he can identify as definitely working to thwart their goals, he wants to murder on general principle. Even if they're not a huge threat, he sees no reason why he shouldn't take a few extra minutes to exterminate any potential obstacle. He's always giving it his all to kill whoever threatens his personal goals. He knows the Order is trying to keep Team Evil away from the Gates now, and that's all the reason he needs to murder them, whether they're strong enough to be a serious challenge or not.

Xykon, on the other hand, has no problem letting someone go if they're not in his immediate way, he doesn't feel like they're a serious threat, and he doesn't feel like it'll be particularly fun or amusing. When he met Roy at Azure City, he straight-up told Roy to come back later when he was high enough level for a proper climatic boss fight.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The only time Xykon put any effort into fighting the Order was when Darth Suvius showed up and that was because V challenged his villain cred directly.

He may actually be the most likable villain I've encountered of those who have zero redeeming features by design. He's just in it for the game and he knows it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The only time Xykon put any effort into fighting the Order was when Darth Suvius showed up and that was because V challenged his villain cred directly.

He may actually be the most likable villain I've encountered of those who have zero redeeming features by design. He's just in it for the game and he knows it.

well he is a sorcerer, which means he has high charisma :hurr:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Fair point, but I've also always cared way more about Durkon and Belkar than Roy or Elan, so that can't be the whole story.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
There’s something almost refreshing about a villain with no real redeeming qualities. What was it that Rich said in Start of Darkness? Something like he may be a villain, but he’s also kinda a dick. That’s easy to enjoy hating.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Vizuyos posted:

It's basically the same as why Redcloak tried to murder Durkon on sight and had to be talked down before negotiations could even get started: anyone he can identify as definitely working to thwart their goals, he wants to murder on general principle. Even if they're not a huge threat, he sees no reason why he shouldn't take a few extra minutes to exterminate any potential obstacle. He's always giving it his all to kill whoever threatens his personal goals. He knows the Order is trying to keep Team Evil away from the Gates now, and that's all the reason he needs to murder them, whether they're strong enough to be a serious challenge or not.

Xykon, on the other hand, has no problem letting someone go if they're not in his immediate way, he doesn't feel like they're a serious threat, and he doesn't feel like it'll be particularly fun or amusing. When he met Roy at Azure City, he straight-up told Roy to come back later when he was high enough level for a proper climatic boss fight.

Yes, Redcloak has a GENERAL reason to kill Roy, same as he has a general reason to kill anyone in his way, but no particular reason.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Clarste posted:

Yes, Redcloak has a GENERAL reason to kill Roy, same as he has a general reason to kill anyone in his way, but no particular reason.

However though it wasn't true that Redcloak had a "Well I guess it isn't important" moment; Redcloak got more determined to kill Roy than less; and got visibly angry when Xykon told him no.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Raenir Salazar posted:

However though it wasn't true that Redcloak had a "Well I guess it isn't important" moment; Redcloak got more determined to kill Roy than less; and got visibly angry when Xykon told him no.

Redcloak views Roy as a strategic threat. He holds no animosity per se.

He's a meticulous planner and wants to run down problems as soon as possible. Same reason he tried to kill durkon during negotiations.

He's evil and kills without remorse or second thoughts, but that's not the same as wanting to kill someone

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Hey just a dumb thought. When the series finally ends, do you think we'll see the 'camera' pull back to reveal a bunch of dudes sitting around a kitchen table surrounded by Cheetoes and pizza boxes?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gynovore posted:

Hey just a dumb thought. When the series finally ends, do you think we'll see the 'camera' pull back to reveal a bunch of dudes sitting around a kitchen table surrounded by Cheetoes and pizza boxes?

Exceedingly lame, and by this point after 15-20 years of tabletop webcomics, a tired cliche. Probably not.

I think all we'll get on that front is that one page with Belkar and Shojo, which honestly was sufficient of a glimpse and played off well.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 14, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gynovore posted:

I think that subtracts from the story, by assigning the writing of the story to new fictional characters who were never developed.

The problem isn't that it's a hacky cliche, though let me stress that it is. The problem is that the story doesn't need that, and after the first chapter, almost nothing in oots is wasted or unnecessary for developing a plot or a character or making a joke.

I mean that. Find a page where even a single balloon of dialogue isn't going somewhere. That kind of unforshaowed ending would be Game Of Thrones level selling out the story.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He had that as one of the delirious awful ideas he was spouting while sick in a side panel once

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gynovore posted:

I’m pretty sure this has been all but directly shot down?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m pretty sure this has been all but directly shot down?
Repeatedly!

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I don't understand why it's such a popular trope. For me at least it instantly kills any tension in the story. Who cares about the results of someone's home D&D campaign?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My high school girlfriend said that that’s how the movie Dungeons & Dragons (the 2000 one, the best one, I’ll die on this hill) should have ended, and that’s when I knew deep down that we had to break up.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

This is explicitly a comic about a world which is a self aware stick figure parody of roleplaying games.

That's literally how the world was made.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sure, but there aren't players behind the main characters (despite them explicitly being "PCs"). The world, in-comic, is still real. Everything we see exists (again, in-universe), it's not a story/game being played by other characters, which is what people are discussing.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
The gods are the player/game developer stand in. Everything about the creation myth (the Snarl, constant short-lived setting iterations, the "let's try this dumb idea next, it doesn't matter in the long run") are all meta-commentary on how the hobby has evolved over the years. OotS is ending with the characters trying to call their players out on literally toying with their lives and their world for their own amusement.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

OotS is ending with the characters trying to call their players out on literally toying with their lives and their world for their own amusement.

no its not

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
As much as I love Undertale I am pretty sure the lesson of Oots isn't going to be even remotely similar to Undertale's.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The gods are the players and the whole Dark One/fourth quiddity plotline is an extremely tortured metaphor for the girl they invited who was played one game and never talked to anyone involved ever again because one player creeped her the gently caress out and none of the others wanted to tell him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

The gods are the player/game developer stand in. Everything about the creation myth (the Snarl, constant short-lived setting iterations, the "let's try this dumb idea next, it doesn't matter in the long run") are all meta-commentary on how the hobby has evolved over the years. OotS is ending with the characters trying to call their players out on literally toying with their lives and their world for their own amusement.

Negative. The story, and the author, have already rejected this notion. They even did poked fun at the idea back when Belkar had his vision quest. The D&D framing device is not important to the actual themes of OotS beyond the alignment system being a gateway to meditations on good and evil.