Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
i'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Morpheus posted:

I'm really getting tired of the hacker sidekick that can hack literally anything. Like, a person that's not just good with computers, they can break into the most secure databases in the world without breaking a sweat, and somehow they're typically either just a nobody or like a student or something.

It's just so boring having a walking plot device to avoid the hero having to actually think about how to do things in the modern world.

In English, please!!!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
More like
"this is the most secure system in entire city, I need you to-"
"I'm already in, getting you access now"

Like gently caress off, how lovely is cyber security in your world.

Bonus when they somehow have the ability to like monitor a dozen things at once like camera feeds, GPS, hacking poo poo, alerts, and also have a conversation while using a single monitor (usually a laptop)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Morpheus posted:

More like
"this is the most secure system in entire city, I need you to-"
"I'm already in, getting you access now"

Like gently caress off, how lovely is cyber security in your world.

Bonus when they somehow have the ability to like monitor a dozen things at once like camera feeds, GPS, hacking poo poo, alerts, and also have a conversation while using a single monitor (usually a laptop)

I have bad news about real life cyber security.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

packetmantis posted:

In English, please!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S73nmMU1LDs

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

letthereberock posted:

The funny thing is, while the cut is always instantaneous, it’s implied that the characters had to travel some distance and time to get there; but their conversation will pick right back up where it was, meaning the two characters did not talk AT ALL the whole trip there. There’s no way that would happen in real life, the second person at some point would be like “tell me where the gently caress you’re taking me or I’m not going!”

Reminds me of in sitcoms when the characters return home and are always mid conversation like "wow, I can't believe the theme park was closed", implying they never once talked about it on the ride home.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Morpheus posted:

Like, a person that's not just good with computers, they can break into the most secure databases in the world without breaking a sweat

I wanna be honest with all of you. I've been hacking into government and corporate systems all over the country. All over the world. I have discovered more information than any hacker ever has. Ever. What I have found will shock you. Here are the files and supporting documents. And supporting truths. The factual documents. I'm releasing these files to the public today.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One of the few genuine good bits in Godzilla vs Kong is the hunt for the wilderpeople kid trying to hack into the super science computer while the other guy yells at him, like, "Aren't you supposed to be mr computer hacker?" and the kid is like "that just means I know how to pirate movies!" and then intentionally dumping a drink all over the keyboard.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Annabel Pee posted:

Reminds me of in sitcoms when the characters return home and are always mid conversation like "wow, I can't believe the theme park was closed", implying they never once talked about it on the ride home.

Or when people drive somewhere and right as they are about to arrive they'll say "ok, here is the plan..." I understand it from a pacing standpoint, but it always seems odd in universe that nobody discusses the plan ahead of time (in case they need to grab gear) or at least on the drive over.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At least sometimes they'll throw in a "Let's go over it again" in those scenes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Morpheus posted:

Lemme tell you something, I used to work for something like a 911 operators office that also handled CCTV for some facilities.

Even with a full team, doing real-time tracking is really, really loving hard.

HINT: If you want to get away with anything, duck in to a bathroom, change your shirt and add or remove a hat.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That's actually happened a few times, on I think it was NCIS New Orleans. They were trying to find a suspect in a mall, and the dude just strolled into a store, put on a new jacket and hat, and walked right out an exit.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Lemme tell you something, I used to work for something like a 911 operators office that also handled CCTV for some facilities.

Even with a full team, doing real-time tracking is really, really loving hard.

HINT: If you want to get away with anything, duck in to a bathroom, change your shirt and add or remove a hat.

I used to do QA for Panasonic's video camera software division and this is 100% true. Not only are the resolutions often lovely even on very high end cameras, but it's really difficult for the human mind to wrap itself around incomplete camera coverage, even in a building you know really well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Monkey posted:

I used to do QA for Panasonic's video camera software division and this is 100% true. Not only are the resolutions often lovely even on very high end cameras, but it's really difficult for the human mind to wrap itself around incomplete camera coverage, even in a building you know really well.

Yepppp.
Our solution was to have a team of three, if possible, where the main operator would keep track of the subject as accurately as possible, the person on the left would constantly shift their cameras to where they just were and the person on the right would shift theirs to where they think they are going. Lots of people were lost because we were understaffed, only one person was trying to do all three roles and the subject double-backed in a blind corner.

Having a ground team is much more important than doing camera work, unless you need footage as evidence.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Does that kind of evidence run into the CSI problem where juries think CCTV should be more reliable/comprehensive than it can possibly be? I know that's a thing with DNA evidence where juries sometimes get hung up on thinking the borderline-magical stuff in procedurals is real. Not blaming them either, I mean, that's what it's like on the shows, that purport to be realistic.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Inzombiac posted:

Yepppp.
Our solution was to have a team of three, if possible, where the main operator would keep track of the subject as accurately as possible, the person on the left would constantly shift their cameras to where they just were and the person on the right would shift theirs to where they think they are going. Lots of people were lost because we were understaffed, only one person was trying to do all three roles and the subject double-backed in a blind corner.

Having a ground team is much more important than doing camera work, unless you need footage as evidence.

gotta say that as I sit here stewing in interminable meetings that are at best mildly tangential to my actual job, this sounds like a cool fuckin' gig

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Meanwhile, programs like Adobe are getting to incredible levels of image enhancement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfTbrJP5TXs

Yes :goonsay: that's still images vs. video but it's now more "when" the tech will be what we show in media instead of "if."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Schitts Creek, the episodes I’ve seen have Jonny rose and Stevie giving the guy Roland something to do but he always messes it up or bungles it. Why would you continue to place any responsibility in someone who has consistently proven themselves unreliable?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

oldpainless posted:

Why would you continue to place any responsibility in someone who has consistently proven themselves unreliable?

My credulity was strained by Kim’s repeated annoyance and coldness to Jimmy in Better Call Saul, only to have her madly in love with him two scenes later.

You can apply this trope to Jesse in Breaking Bad too, he’s just a walking gently caress up. Oh, and loving Ziggy in The Wire too, characters that are basically walking conflict points.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My favourite hacker dialogue was in the pilot of Kevin Bacon's The Following
Context is Carrol has escaped prison thanks to the library's internet connection

code:
INT. WAREHOUSE - DAY
A LARGE VIDEO MONITOR is filled with digital data. URLS and
IP TEMPLATES. Weston explains to the others.

WESTON
Carroll never visited the same web
address twice which suggests he was
communicating through various URLs.

RYAN
Who with?

WESTON
There’s the rub. Every time I
access an IP address it mutates.
It’s a fairly sophisticated virus.
It’s gonna take a while.

RYAN
It’s a stalling tactic.

MASON
Yes, a very good camouflage job.

RYAN
Where were the guards when Carroll
was sitting there chatting online?
Who were these idiots? 

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

oldpainless posted:

In Schitts Creek, the episodes I’ve seen have Jonny rose and Stevie giving the guy Roland something to do but he always messes it up or bungles it. Why would you continue to place any responsibility in someone who has consistently proven themselves unreliable?

Johnny Rose is a good businessman but a terrible manager and Stevie doesn't give a poo poo either way.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

Meanwhile, programs like Adobe are getting to incredible levels of image enhancement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfTbrJP5TXs

Yes :goonsay: that's still images vs. video but it's now more "when" the tech will be what we show in media instead of "if."

But aren't these programs inventing details that don't exist in the original images using algorithms and assumptions? You're ending up with a guess, not an actual enhancement.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

Because otherwise they'd have to interact with him more as he'd always be following them around to talk or complain or whatever.

rydiafan posted:

But aren't these programs inventing details that don't exist in the original images using algorithms and assumptions? You're ending up with a guess, not an actual enhancement.

Unless you're dealing with a perfect image, your brain is also guessing to fill in blanks for images that are blurry or slightly pixelated or whatever.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Torquemada posted:

You can apply this trope to Jesse in Breaking Bad too, he’s just a walking gently caress up. Oh, and loving Ziggy in The Wire too, characters that are basically walking conflict points.

Ziggy is there because his dad is the boss.

The world is full of Ziggy's.

He's also got a lot of pararels with D'angelo Barksdale who isn't very interested in a life of crime and isn't really cut out for it but stays because it's the family business and what he was born into.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Torquemada posted:

Jesse is no more a gently caress up than Walter is. Arguably even less because, unlike Walter, he doesn't get deeper and deeper in trouble until he have to recruit loving nazis.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Torquemada posted:

My credulity was strained by Kim’s repeated annoyance and coldness to Jimmy in Better Call Saul, only to have her madly in love with him two scenes later.

The entire conflict around Ziggy is that everyone realizes he's an absolute gently caress up and no one gives him any responsibilities. His entire fall is triggered by his fairly competent cousin cutting him entirely out of the loop while still taking care of him, which is a blow his pride can't take.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ziggy was pretty competent with the car heist. He was just completely unsuited to be a stevedore and had a massive chip on his shoulder about it

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

HopperUK posted:

Does that kind of evidence run into the CSI problem where juries think CCTV should be more reliable/comprehensive than it can possibly be? I know that's a thing with DNA evidence where juries sometimes get hung up on thinking the borderline-magical stuff in procedurals is real. Not blaming them either, I mean, that's what it's like on the shows, that purport to be realistic.

It's not nearly as bad as the DNA issue you described. The prosecution team is responsible for requesting the timeframe and areas they want footage from. There's just too much for them to say "give us absolutely everything from the past year". I haven't seen it in court but from what I know it is usually framed against a social media post or other info that ties that person to the footage without any doubt. Like if they are at an airport, their check-in is solid enough proof to place them in a space at a specific time.

Rockman Reserve posted:

gotta say that as I sit here stewing in interminable meetings that are at best mildly tangential to my actual job, this sounds like a cool fuckin' gig

It really was. I loved it for the most part except the hours were unpredictable, the pay was poo poo and the surrounding environment was so toxic that I've been in therapy for a few years now.
There was a lot to like. Every day was something new, you had to think on your feet, be creative and have ice water for blood. A lot of people thought they could hack it but would wash out after a couple months. Some days absolutely nothing happened, so you'd do your regular reports and then play video games and the boss wouldn't give a poo poo.

rydiafan posted:

These types of programs are very interesting but you've hit the nail on the head, legally speaking. You could offer this in court but it would have to be backed-up with a lot of other material in order to be convincing. Any half-decent defense attorney will make your argument and cast very strong doubt without much fuss. If you took a 15x15p picture of a face from a security system, you could train an AI upscaler to make them look like just about anyone, if you're devoid of integrity.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Apr 14, 2021

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Roland is a screwup and a pretty gross person but he’s also had Johnny Rose’s back at some crucial times throughout the series so it’s understandable Johnny would still include him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Alhazred posted:

Jesse is no more a gently caress up than Walter is. Arguably even less because, unlike Walter, he doesn't get deeper and deeper in trouble until he have to recruit loving nazis.

Hell, multiple times Jesse almost gets better, but Walt drags him back down. Jesse's main problem outside of his existing addictions is Walt's psychological abuse.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I was going to make that argument, but he did leave the RV keys in the ignition which is pretty gottdang dumb tbh

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

christmas boots posted:

Ziggy was pretty competent with the car heist. He was just completely unsuited to be a stevedore and had a massive chip on his shoulder about it

He pulls off the actual heist part ok, and then proceeds to drive one of the stolen cars as a personal vehicle and totally get dunked on during the negotiations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Silly Newbie posted:

He pulls off the actual heist part ok, and then proceeds to drive one of the stolen cars as a personal vehicle and totally get dunked on during the negotiations.

Fair. I guess my point is that Ziggy isn't totally incompetent and he probably could have done fairly well in a different environment than the one he was in.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So I've been watching The Rookie lately and I know it's copaganda to the max which kinda makes it an interesting experience in an 'okay that would go totally different in reality because racism'-kind of way. Also I'm in mourning and drinking a fair bit so it's like the perfect balance between fun, kind of out there stories while not requiring too much investment, and I enjoy Nathan Fillion so whatever.

But I'm watching s02e09 now and I swear to god, while they show was always just ignoring conflict of interest problems for the narrative (and I'm good at suspension of disbelief so it never bothered me too much) this episode takes to to a whole new level, and I'm spoilering this just in case:

So a women brings in a small little dog she found with blood on her paws, the cops check out the registered owner and find her dead with her young teenage (I'm guessing 13 or so years old?) son hiding in the bathroom being pretty much unresponsive which is explained as trauma. So far so good, kinda convoluted but sure, they never shied away from (children's) trauma in this show before, which is a touch of realism I actually like about it. Haven't really seen an instance where they dealt with trauma in a blatantly offensive way so far.

So they get the kid checked out in the hospital and whatever, make sure he's okay more or less, and then all the bullshit happens. They have some random detective (best friend of Nathan Fillion's character this season of course) question the kid despite him not having any established credentials or whatever in dealing with these kind of cases. This is a traumatized kid, so realistically speaking they'd have someone trained specifically to deal with this kind of thing would deal with it, not a random major crimes detective. Okay, lack of resources, this is the US (specifically LA) we're talking about, so that might actually happen because yeah, America. Butnot only that, the case worker from CPS is present, who is in a romantic relationship with one of the officers who is present at the interview, which is a HUGE conflict of interest in itself.

Also they're questioning the kid in this random glass walled meeting room I assume somewhere in the bureau, holy poo poo.

So at this point I'm kinda laughing my rear end off because holy poo poo this is like the completely wrong way to go about things, but I already see what's coming:

See, everyone thinks that the mother's boyfriend murdered her but then the kid tells them that while his mother and her boyfriend did get in a fight, the boyfriend was kicked out and left. He tells them he and the boyfriend had some great times playing video games and the mother was pissed off about the time they spent doing that so you can guess where this is going, the kid probably killed his mother. At this point the CPS woman tells the kid to ask for a lawyer, there's a short back and forth between her and the detective "Why are you making my job harder?"-kind of thing, but the kid asks for a lawyer.

But the other regular officer present (not the one in a romantic relationship with the CPS woman) is in a relationship with a defense attorney that has a thing for pro-bone civil rights issues and all that, really goody-goody two-shoes.

GUESS WHO BECOMES THE KID'S LAWYER?

Holy poo poo it's just a complete spiderwebby-clusterfuck of conflicts of interests and it's so loving ridiculous it's just too silly.

I know the show is bullshit. The 'rookie' has to deal with a biological terrorism threat, a false alarm nuke attack, the death of his captain in a white supremacist plot, and numerous super unlikely scenarios all in like the first 6 months on the job, but this is just so blatantly unethical I had to make a post about it.

Ironically the B-plot of this very episode is about two of the other main cops having to be technical advisors for a cop show showing the talent and director all the things they get wrong (and also deal with a stalker). It's so blatantly ridiculous I kind of love it.

e:
lol also the lawyer is dealing with severe PTSD which complicated matters

Taeke has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Apr 14, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Imagined posted:

One of the few genuine good bits in Godzilla vs Kong is the hunt for the wilderpeople kid trying to hack into the super science computer while the other guy yells at him, like, "Aren't you supposed to be mr computer hacker?" and the kid is like "that just means I know how to pirate movies!" and then intentionally dumping a drink all over the keyboard.

Weird. That was one of the few stupid humans doing stupid human poo poo that actually bothered me as being too stupid. Even for this move.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
pretty much any protagonist-centered bullshit where the protag can get away with all kinds of unethical poo poo without being the bad dude. Walt White was not a good guy. Meredith Gray is supposed to be a good guy but loving hell every episode of that drat show (it is at least better than the cop porn shows) the doctors are loving ethics so hard it got a prolapse. Stealing organs for their own special patients because the organ donor list is soooo long or kidnaping children or ignoring DNR orders because they doctors, they got to save his life!

edit: my mom and half the universe watched Bridgerton. And apparently half the universe is furious/shocked the duke/main sexy dude isn't coming back because the next few seasons focus on other people in the show. I barely watched any of it, but wasn't he a main character?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cowslips Warren posted:

pretty much any protagonist-centered bullshit where the protag can get away with all kinds of unethical poo poo without being the bad dude. Walt White was not a good guy. Meredith Gray is supposed to be a good guy but loving hell every episode of that drat show (it is at least better than the cop porn shows) the doctors are loving ethics so hard it got a prolapse. Stealing organs for their own special patients because the organ donor list is soooo long or kidnaping children or ignoring DNR orders because they doctors, they got to save his life!

edit: my mom and half the universe watched Bridgerton. And apparently half the universe is furious/shocked the duke/main sexy dude isn't coming back because the next few seasons focus on other people in the show. I barely watched any of it, but wasn't he a main character?

Gray's Anatomy is one of those where I like the show alright but the titular protag is so lame. I don't understand her appeal specifically. Also loving George for all the obvious reasons. Like some of the smaller characters are just a lot more likeable or sympathetic and Dr Gray's loving problems are just super uninteresting.

But I am a sucker for a medical drama :munch:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Gray's Anatomy is one of those where I like the show alright but the titular protag is so lame. I don't understand her appeal specifically. Also loving George for all the obvious reasons. Like some of the smaller characters are just a lot more likeable or sympathetic and Dr Gray's loving problems are just super uninteresting.

But I am a sucker for a medical drama :munch:

The wrong Gray died on that plane

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cowslips Warren posted:

It is the opposite of this that shits me.

I hate it when they have to make the protagonist such a squeaky clean goody goody guy. Or a super charming affable, everybody who has ever met them loves them and wants to cuddle kind a fella. gently caress that poo poo, it's boring and one dimensional. Real people have flaws, interesting characters have flaws.

To use an example that you used. Walter White was in no way a good guy. But he was an interesting character. His ego, his stubbornness, his selfishness, and all his other flaws make him interesting enough to build a story a story around him and his misdeeds. Which is why that show was cool and fun.

I will agree that it sucks when people see a flawed protagonist, (or indeed a protagonist that is as much of a bastard as Walter White), and then aspire to be like them because they are the protagonist. But I would argue that TV and movies etc. are big enough to be able to accommodate stories where the character that drives the narrative doesn't have to be the "good guy", or indeed a good person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP468OEln4U