Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I presume that's why one of her videos has a title about saving cats. Not gonna watch the video to confirm, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've posted excerpts before in this thread but Save the Cat is a v epic book

quote:

Take a hip, slick movie like Lara Croft 2 for example. They spent a fortune on that film. And everyone is still wondering what happened. They can’t figure out why they didn’t bring in the audience of targeted men. It’s not surprising to me. What’s wrong with this picture? Where did the filmmakers go awry? To me it’s really very simple: I don’t like the Lara Croft character. Why would I? She’s cold and humorless. And while that’s fine in the solitary world of video games and comics, it doesn’t make me want to leave my home to go see the movie. The people who produced this film think they can get you to like her by making her “cool.” This is what amounts to “character development” in au currant movies: “She drives a cool car.” That’s someone’s idea of how to create a winning hero.

Well, folks, I don’t care about how “cool” it is, this isn’t going to work.

Why?

Because liking the person we go on a journey with is the single most important element in drawing us into the story.

Which brings us to the title of this book: Save the Cat!

Save the what?

I call it the “Save the Cat” scene. They don’t put it into movies anymore. And it’s basic. It’s the scene where we meet the hero and the hero does something — like saving a cat — that defines who he is and makes us, the audience, like him.

In the thriller, Sea of Love, Al Pacino is a cop. Scene One finds him in the middle of a sting operation. Parole violators have been lured by the promise of meeting the N.Y. Yankees, but when they arrive it’s Al and his cop buddies waiting to bust them. So Al’s “cool.” (He’s got a cool idea for a sting anyway.) But on his way out he also does something nice. Al spots another lawbreaker, who’s brought his son, coming late to the sting. Seeing the Dad with his kid, Al flashes his badge at the man who nods in understanding and exits quick. Al lets this guy off the hook because he has his young son with him. And just so you know Al hasn’t gone totally soft, he also gets to say a cool line to the crook: “Catch you later…” Well, I don’t know about you, but I like Al. I’ll go anywhere he takes me now and you know what else? I’ll be rooting to see him win. All based on a two second interaction between Al and a Dad with his baseball-fan kid.

Can you imagine if the makers of Lara Croft 2 spent $4 on a good Save the Cat scene instead of the $2.5 million they spent developing that new latex body suit for Angelina Jolie? They might’ve done a whole lot better.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also the bizarre Memento grudge:

quote:

So now that I’ve laid out these 15 beats for you, and used examples like What’s Up, Doc?, I’m sure all you hip, young screenwriting whipper-snappers are saying, yeah, right old man. Maybe this applied in your day, but we don’t need it anymore. We eschew the need to “like” a hero (we dig Lara Croft!!!) and those boring old story beats are passé. Who needs ’em? What about Memento!! Have I grasped the basic gestalt of your objection?

Existential dilemmas are what close on Saturday night, as the low-performing art house gem Memento proves. Gimmick or really dull movie? You decide.

If so, and though I’ve tried to pepper my examples with many newer movies, like Legally Blonde, you still may not believe me when I say this stuff applies. Still. Always. So for you nay-sayers, who say nay, let me use an example from my genre, PG Comedy, that shows how these beats apply in the modern world you need to master.

Oh, and btw, screw Memento!

quote:

For extra credit, look at Memento. Yes, it’s an entertaining movie; yes, it even falls into the category of genre “Dude with a Problem.” Does it also match the beats of the BS2? Or is it just a gimmick that cannot be applied to any other movie? HINT: For all the hullabaloo surrounding Memento, guess how much it made?

And if you want to seriously debate the value of Memento in modern society, please go ahead and contact me at the e-mail address provided in Chapter One. But be ready for one hell of an argument from me!! I know how much Memento made.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao olds

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I didn’t know misterbibs wrote a book.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The writer of that book won a Razzie for worst screenplay.

The last movie he wrote was Blank Check in 1994.

:lol:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Srice posted:

Ah, like how Clark saves those guys on the oil rig at the start of Man Of Steel!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Srice posted:

So did the writer of the book quote a dumb person in order to make a point or..?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Or how he burns his identity and current home and job to stop a guy from sexually harassing a co-worker

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Srice posted:

Just so.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

There are a handful of solid books about the creative side of filmmaking and screenwriting written by people who actually made succesful films and have solid credits but the vast vast majority are written by total failsons with a few middling credits.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I dont think there's anything wrong with being clear in your message, but there's also definitely being too overt (see: how probably nobody who disagreed with Elysium went to see it).

The guy who wrote Blank Check shouldnt be the person saying such though.

E: That Lara Croft 2 quote, good lord.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Wonder Woman saves those kids in WW84 but people mock that scene. According to the book that should've endeared us to her character! The book lied!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It would be far more useful to interview a passle of screenwriters, both ones that failed and ones that succeeded, about the decisions they made and why they made them. This would be far more illuminating than attempting to turn the screenwriting process into a Chinese Room exercise.

They pass in: a card with the words "cool protagonist" on it
You pass back: a scene where the protagonist is humanized
They pass in: a card with the words "non linear narrative"
You pass back: nothing, you tore up the card because it's a stupid gimmick

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

AccountSupervisor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4znT1rgXNE

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Srice posted:

I missed this the first time around but Save The Cat is absolutely worth a read, it's even dumber than Youtube poo poo if you can believe it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MacheteZombie posted:

That horse doesn't shitpost nearly as much

not very familiar with horses, are you

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That's uhhhhh quite a description for that video

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I missed this the first time around but Save The Cat is absolutely worth a read, it's even dumber than Youtube poo poo if you can believe it.

I think my favorite part (besides his grudge against Memento for being a successful movie despite not fitting his formula) is that he keeps bragging about how many scripts he has sold, and that he even sold a script to Spielberg!

Sure, Spielberg never made a movie out of his script. And as for the rest only two movies based on his scripts were ever made. But he sold *so* many scripts!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lmao

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Martman posted:

That's uhhhhh quite a description for that video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcoT1X0Qn3c

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's a bold claim. Now I have to check it out, I hope you're proud of yourself.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This is now the Blake Snyder Memorial Dome: Sometimes You Save The Cat, And Sometimes... The Cat Saves You.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The airstrike feels a little on-the-nose, to be honest.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
gently caress, I didn't think I could actually be interested in a zombie movie in 2021 but goddamnit Snyder you've done it again.

Robot Style posted:

I mean, popular screenwriting books like Save the Cat literally have a required story beat called "the theme is stated", so this is something people actually believe.

I think somebody on here did a breakdown of that book and pointed out that a) it's full of poo poo and b) the guy who wrote it is also completely full of poo poo and c) was actually a really poo poo writer.

It's the absolute archetypal "guy who has failed at doing it moving on to failing at teaching it"

EDIT: never mind, somebody posted the breakdown and it's as bad as I remember. The funny thing is that, even accounting for inflation, Sea of Love only outgrossed Cradle of Life by about 20% domestically, and Cradle of Life did really well overseas. If 'Saving the Cat' matters, then audiences don't really seem to give a poo poo.

It's worse than that, the only previous movie he wrote before Blank Check was 'Stop or My Mom Will Shoot' which is a low point even among Stallone's many 90s low points.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

It's worse than that, the only previous movie he wrote before Blank Check was 'Stop or My Mom Will Shoot' which is a low point even among Stallone's many 90s low points.

That's what he won the Razzie for.

The ultimate irony would be if somehow he was a blood relative of Zacks.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That's what he won the Razzie for.

The ultimate irony would be if somehow he was a blood relative of Zacks.

yeah, but there's razzie winners (Con Air won a razzie) and then there's Stop or My Mom will Shoot, which Arnie tricked Stallone into being in.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

I actually saw Lara Croft 2 last year and it owned. It's basically 90 minutes of Jolie doing stunts on motorized toys.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On one hand I don't need a character verbalizing the themes of a movie because either the film actually conveys them or it doesn't, on the other hand people like my mother exist and watch lots of movies and don't like movies that don't clearly verbalize what they are all about so I'd be hard pressed not to have something in the film for those people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

yeah, but there's razzie winners (Con Air won a razzie) and then there's Stop or My Mom will Shoot, which Arnie tricked Stallone into being in.

I feel there's a story here but I assume it's Arnie being asked to be in so many godawful movies that he decided to make Stallone take one for him

Best thing about it was the reference in Mortal Kombat.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Arnold posted:

"So I went in – this was during our war – I said to myself, I'm going to leak out that I have tremendous interest. I know the way it works in Hollywood. I would then ask for a lot of money. So then they'd say, 'Let's go give it to Sly. Maybe we can get him for cheaper.' So they told Sly, 'Schwarzenegger's interested. Here's the press clippings. He's talked about that. If you want to grab that one away from him, that is available.' And he went for it! He totally went for it. A week later, I heard about it, 'Sly is signing now to do this movie.' And I said, [pumps fist] 'Yes!'"

https://screenrant.com/schwarzenegger-tricked-stallone-stop-or-my-mom-will-shoot/

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Save the Cat was required reading and treated like an actual Bible by both students and lecturers on my filmmaking course and even being an actual idiot with no idea about filmmaking back then it didn't really sit right with me, but man, trying to convince anyone that having an inciting incident occur at precisely minute 17 (or whichever interval of time it would fall under for longer films) is not a unifying rule of well-paced storytelling or that worthwhile films that do not fall under Snyder's* formula exist used to be shut down hard.

What an absolute waste of time and money.

*Blake Snyder obvs, but I'd love to see Zack Snyder write a filmmaking book.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It reminds me of the Plinkett review of Phantom Menace where he says that unless you're one of, like, 40 very well respected directors, you shouldn't bother trying to diverge from the formula.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Roth posted:

It reminds me of the Plinkett review of Phantom Menace where he says that unless you're one of, like, 40 very well respected directors, you shouldn't bother trying to diverge from the formula.

I'm really glad I've never watched that review.

The problem is viewing writing (or film making) rules as actual rules instead of guidelines that you should absolutely chuck out in a moment if they're holding you back from doing something good.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
that advice is fine. it's just a writing/directing version of 'walk before you can run.' anyone who's hung around hopeful writers knows there's dozens of people who think they'll break the market open with some crazy idea - when they can't write a single compelling chapter. the issue with the advice is that George Lucas is absolutely one of those people who could break from the formula, and did. save the cat is absolutely garbage those, as is just about any book that promises to teach you how to write.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

that advice is fine. it's just a writing/directing version of 'walk before you can run.' anyone who's hung around hopeful writers knows there's dozens of people who think they'll break the market open with some crazy idea - when they can't write a single compelling chapter. the issue with the advice is that George Lucas is absolutely one of those people who could break from the formula, and did. save the cat is absolutely garbage those, as is just about any book that promises to teach you how to write.

Well, if it's phrased anything like the way Roth said (I'm not watching the review) it's more 'only walk. A certain, small number of pre approved people can run' which is recursive since most of those acclaimed directors got to that point by diverging from a formula.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

drat, that shot owns

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

iirc that part of the review was talking about how TPM didn't have "good" characters that were relatable, or weren't central in the way Luke was in ANH. They mention that this isn't always the case, but considering that pretty much every movie they mention is also the first in a series, as opposed to TPM being a prequel, their point kind of falls apart because TPM was definitely advertised around the idea of "how did we get to where we were in ANH? let's go back and see these beloved characters 20 years earlier". Anyway, after they establish the "typical" way sci-fi, action, adventure genres tend to be structured, they then go on to say that not everyone follows this formula "but unless you're the Cohen Brothers, David Lynch, Paul Thomas Anderson, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Lars von Trier, Quentin Tarantino(really?), Martin Scorsese, (and a bunch of others but you get the idea) you really shouldn't strive away from this formula, especially if you're making a movie that's aimed towards children".

so yes, the Plinkett reviews very much a "no, we don't like what you did, here's a bunch of reasons why we think it sucks" but it was lightning in a bottle in 2009 for internet critic videos. If you want a modern, more leveled deep dive into the prequels I recommend this series https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP7v2GoLok34IPYPPHA9sLZymDSSS4vvf
the reviewer does not shy away from criticisms of the prequel trilogy but is treating it more like a documentary of how we ended up with the films we got, not positing what could have been or trying to vilify Lucas

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Roth posted:

You'd think if you spent around two minutes listing exceptions to your rules, you'd realize they might not be as important as you're making them out to be. But what do I know, I'm a cultist because I like movies that some other people don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arnold is great