Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Walking the same way on a street where only one other person is walking, and they just keep pace uncomfortably close behind you instead of crossing the street or passing you or anything. Get away from me motherfucker.

Call me an antisocial shut in goon but I will turn and do a loop around a block before I just walk blocks with some rear end in a top hat ten feet behind me going the same way. It's fine in a city with lots of people on the street but where I am now and it's just the two of us... noooooooooooo

Why not just duck to the side and let them pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who rate recipes and start out with "followed the recipe to a T"...and then proceed to list the various ways they altered it. That is not what to a T means!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Walking the same way on a street where only one other person is walking, and they just keep pace uncomfortably close behind you instead of crossing the street or passing you or anything. Get away from me motherfucker.

Call me an antisocial shut in goon but I will turn and do a loop around a block before I just walk blocks with some rear end in a top hat ten feet behind me going the same way. It's fine in a city with lots of people on the street but where I am now and it's just the two of us... noooooooooooo

Ten feet is uncomfortably close? Three meters? How fast do you want them to go to overtake you?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Edgar should just exercise one of my top peeves that most people across the world seems to have mastered: whip out your phone and stop dead in your tracks. They will either collide with you or go around. Problem solved until the next wave.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Get down on the sidewalk and start doing the worm.

\/ I don't think anyone was calling each other wrong (except for the fascist talking points guy), this is the peeves thread and I got to learn something about non-American English.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Apr 10, 2021

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Wait, so like 160M people in the UK, Australia, and Canada use the word "holiday" to refer to a day they don't have to work, and the rest of the english speaking world uses the word "holiday" as a day people find special, usually (but not always), for religious reasons.
And the overwhelmingly larger group of people is wrong.

Edit -
On further consideration, having a major figure in your history start an entirely new world religion just to get laid probably screwed up your cultural definition of "holy day" so it's not your fault.

Silly Newbie has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Apr 10, 2021

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
My walking pet peeve is people who walk in the dead centre of the footpath. Stick to a side! I don't care which side but if you're in the dead centre and I'm coming up behind you faster than you walk I'm forced to either get uncomfortably close to you to squeeze around, pop out into the street, or follow at an awkwardly slow pace close behind them until a reasonable opportunity to pass occurs. Also for people waiting on the bus and standing in the optimal position to block as much of the sidewalk as possible. At least they're usually looking around and often notice they're in the way and move.

Similarly for people who weave or zigzag around the place. Walk parallel to the sidewalk damnit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Silly Newbie posted:

Wait, so like 160M people in the UK, Australia, and Canada use the word "holiday" to refer to a day they don't have to work, and the rest of the english speaking world uses the word "holiday" as a day people find special, usually (but not always), for religious reasons.
And the overwhelmingly larger group of people is wrong.

Edit -
On further consideration, having a major figure in your history start an entirely new world religion just to get laid probably screwed up your cultural definition of "holy day" so it's not your fault.

peeve: people considering canadian english to be part of the british sphere. yes, colour has a u and centre is french, but that's just spelling. canadians speak north american english. don't lump Canada in with the wibbly wobbly brekkie eaters.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who rate recipes and start out with "followed the recipe to a T"...and then proceed to list the various ways they altered it. That is not what to a T means!

Online recipes are the worst! 3/4s of the votes are people saying "Looks good! 5 Stars, will try some day!" and the rest are "I followed this recipe EXACTLY except I used hornet venom in place of vanilla extract and now my face is numb 0/5"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

fizzymercury posted:

People need to stop making fun of accents. I know I sound like a deep woods swampland Texas redneck, I am one. But you don't have to think I'm stupid for it. Wait until I prove it, it won't take long. If you open a conversation by laughing at my dialect you are a dick.

Wait until you hear me talk to kinfolk. That there is a bit worth laughin at I tells ya, you ain't know goshitall dangit!

On the other hand it is always ok to make fun of the accent you yourself have and other people who have your accent because it results in some hilarious spite. My girlfriend is uk born and raised and she completely hates the uk bar none more than most, and she is constantly saying her entire extended family talks like inhuman fish people

Edit: and she doesn't mean it but she's definitely still complaining and it is very funny how willing she is to describe her Welsh ancestry as if they are lovecraft creatures

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Apr 10, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Canada has only been it's own country since like 1982.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Spek posted:

My walking pet peeve is people who walk in the dead centre of the footpath. Stick to a side! I don't care which side but if you're in the dead centre and I'm coming up behind you faster than you walk I'm forced to either get uncomfortably close to you to squeeze around, pop out into the street, or follow at an awkwardly slow pace close behind them until a reasonable opportunity to pass occurs. Also for people waiting on the bus and standing in the optimal position to block as much of the sidewalk as possible. At least they're usually looking around and often notice they're in the way and move.

Similarly for people who weave or zigzag around the place. Walk parallel to the sidewalk damnit.

Related are groups of people who spread out and take up the whole pavement and then walk very slowly and you can't get past them without either going into the road or having to speak to them to get them to shift over at which point they look very startled about the whole situation.
Bonus points if they are tourists and are paying more attention to the sights than where they are going.
At least there's been no tourists here for a year now.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I know it's stereotyping and wrong, but people with a deep Cajun English accent giving me a clear and understandable explanation of something very technical will never stop being funny to me.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Canada has only been it's own country since like 1982.

Eh, the Queen is still on their money.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Helith posted:

Related are groups of people who spread out and take up the whole pavement and then walk very slowly and you can't get past them without either going into the road or having to speak to them to get them to shift over at which point they look very startled about the whole situation.
Bonus points if they are tourists and are paying more attention to the sights than where they are going.
At least there's been no tourists here for a year now.

This reminds me of the groups of older/middle aged women who walk together in my neighborhood. They walk in the street instead of the sidewalk and always like 4-6 of them side by side completely oblivious to any cars coming up behind them. There is a reason sidewalks exist ladies!

This is a pretty quiet suburban neighborhood so it's not like they're in any real danger of getting squashed they're just an enormous pain in the rear end when multiple groups are out at once all doing the same routine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inspector 34 posted:

This reminds me of the groups of older/middle aged women who walk together in my neighborhood. They walk in the street instead of the sidewalk and always like 4-6 of them side by side completely oblivious to any cars coming up behind them. There is a reason sidewalks exist ladies!

This is a pretty quiet suburban neighborhood so it's not like they're in any real danger of getting squashed they're just an enormous pain in the rear end when multiple groups are out at once all doing the same routine.

Happens at my apartment too. There are sidewalks all over it, but nope has to be the middle of the roadway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I get people walking all over the street at my apartment complex too, except there are no sidewalks so I can't really blame the people.

However I absolutely can, and will, blame the people who do that at night, wearing dark clothing, and don't have so much as a flashlight. You are practically invisible, you gently caress! I don't want to run over your dumb rear end!

I have no idea who I would complain to to get sidewalks put into this place... It's a fairly densely populated area and it's ridiculous that there are no sidewalks!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I used to work as a driving instructor in a town where twice a year, in the summer, they would have a "garage sale day" where everyone at once could set up tables on their front lawn and sell their worthless crap for 35¢, so for the entire day, both sides of every single street was lined with parked cars and dozens of people would walk in the middle of the street going from house to house like it's Halloween for spinsters. And man did they not give a poo poo if a car was trying to get somewhere or if their kids just ran off into the street from between two parked cars...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Silver Falcon posted:

I get people walking all over the street at my apartment complex too, except there are no sidewalks so I can't really blame the people.

However I absolutely can, and will, blame the people who do that at night, wearing dark clothing, and don't have so much as a flashlight. You are practically invisible, you gently caress! I don't want to run over your dumb rear end!

I have no idea who I would complain to to get sidewalks put into this place... It's a fairly densely populated area and it's ridiculous that there are no sidewalks!

In my hometown it's not on the city but on the property owner to decide if they want sidewalks or not. Which is extremely dumb.

There are some neighbourhoods where one or two good citizens have disconnnected sidewalks running the length of their lawns and then the rest of the street has none.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I know someone that cups their hand in front of their ear when they're having trouble hearing something instead of behind it, and every time it happens I question why I allow her to be near me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dip Viscous posted:

I know someone that cups their hand in front of their ear when they're having trouble hearing something instead of behind it, and every time it happens I question why I allow her to be near me.

They actually have hearing with the gain too high, the signal gets all blown out unless they shield the mic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Referring to the covid vaccine as the "jab". Why is everyone doing this, like as though it's somehow the official/correct term?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Referring to the covid vaccine as the "jab". Why is everyone doing this, like as though it's somehow the official/correct term?

I think it’s a mix of Britain getting their program running early and the internet. Lots of that term floating around led to non-brits picking it up.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

What else are you going to call it?
Getting ‘shot’ sounds terrible.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've just been saying "the shots" or "my shots". There's not a person alive right now who doesn't know what you mean by this.

It also has the benefit of not being "Fauci Ouchie" which is some extremely brain-damaged wine mom poo poo even by the low standards of modern culture.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pastry of the Year posted:

It also has the benefit of not being "Fauci Ouchie" which is some extremely brain-damaged wine mom poo poo even by the low standards of modern culture.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

I think the official CSPAM term is "slut juice."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the official CSPAM term is "slut juice."

Why though

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Helith posted:

What else are you going to call it?
The word "vaccine" works fine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Someone jokingly called their shot slut juice and it just ran from there, you know the way any meme takes off.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tiggum posted:

The word "vaccine" works fine.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

My bad for interacting with Tiggum in the peeves thread, but unless you're seeing people telling others 'it's not called a vaccine it's called a jab' or something then lmao wtf, people are allowed to use slang instead of being obligated to use the ~correct~ terminology

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think the terminology is that because they jab you in the arm with a needle, hence "jab"

Also, I got the jab on saturday and it still feels like someone threw me down the stairs and I landed on my shoulder. That's a peeve right now, I don't want my arm to hurt anymore! Truly a Fauci Ouchie.

I'm sorry croissant mod but I have never heard "Fauci Ouchie" before just now and I cannot stop laughing at it

fauci ouchie

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:37 on Apr 14, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

My bad for interacting with Tiggum in the peeves thread, but unless you're seeing people telling others 'it's not called a vaccine it's called a jab' or something then lmao wtf, people are allowed to use slang instead of being obligated to use the ~correct~ terminology

What do you think this thread is about?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hot take 'fauci ouchie' is good actually

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killingyouguy! posted:

Hot take 'fauci ouchie' is good actually

It signifies someone as a moron that I would not want to associate with.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s a vaccine until you get it. Then it’s a vaccsawn

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

slang is bad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Actually, it is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko