Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nessus posted:

This is one of the little thingies you see on the outside of Official Scrolls and poo poo in drawings of ancient times, right?

Like corn cob holders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Deteriorata posted:

There's been lots of them found in Egypt, and they're all about this size:

so probably not.

I had no idea urethral sounds were made so early!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mycomancy posted:

I had no idea urethral sounds were made so early!
I mean if your gonna just come out and say what I was thinking

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does anyone else have really fond memories of the Disney Hercules tv show? I don't want to rewatch it and poison the nostalgia, but holy gently caress I remember it being too clever for what it was. Hercules going to high school and his best friends were Icarus and Kassandra. It was so stupid it looped back to good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
well, you get what you pay for

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that's only slightly less accurate than nassim taleb's writing about phoenicians

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does anyone else have really fond memories of the Disney Hercules tv show? I don't want to rewatch it and poison the nostalgia, but holy gently caress I remember it being too clever for what it was. Hercules going to high school and his best friends were Icarus and Kassandra. It was so stupid it looped back to good.

I remember it was alright, but I've never gone and revisited it. It was nice to get some more use out of all the designs they came up with after the movie was kinda weirdly paced and ended up underperforming (when they were comparing it to Aladdin and Lion King, because the movie industry is all about being a failure if you don't make all the money at once).

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I really liked it too. I remember there was one where Hercules was trying to stay up all night to study and Morpheus kept being like "hey bro you know you want to sleep!!!"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the hercules extended universe was fun even if meg and hades were the only really good parts of the film

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

the hercules extended universe was fun even if meg and hades were the only really good parts of the film

Hades was so good that I actively ignore everything his voice actor says and does because he gives it his all basically every time the character is used and it's delightful even as the man behind the character is a piece of poo poo.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Man this proto-CK2 game got weird fast.

Then again, there were real, documented Viking trips up the Guadalquivir right into the middle of Andalucia. They even caused the Muslim rulers at the time to increase their river defenses to avoid being sacked. So reality can also get a tad weird sometimes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Don Gato posted:

Hades was so good that I actively ignore everything his voice actor says and does because he gives it his all basically every time the character is used and it's delightful even as the man behind the character is a piece of poo poo.

That is the point of acting yeah.

I wonder who the first playwright in Greece was that got rid of masks

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

euphronius posted:

That is the point of acting yeah.

I wonder who the first playwright in Greece was that got rid of masks

i bet they gave you a bit of security when you're performing the latest Aristophanes and had to point at some pillar of the community everyone knows sitting in the front row and deliver a one-liner about how he's getting hosed by his boyfriend

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Hercules cartoon had all kinds of deep cuts, it does seem like they were having a lot of fun with it.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
Interesting integration of ancient architecture into modern buildings.

https://twitter.com/archaeologyart/status/1382053497231790092

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a really cool bistro in Istanbul that incorporates some of the oldest architecture in the city into its design. 4th century, apparently it was on the old waterfront and was part of the harbor

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293974-d8051522-Reviews-Arch_Bistro-Istanbul.html

Cool place. That arch is the oldest thing I've ever eaten under

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CrypticFox posted:

Interesting integration of ancient architecture into modern buildings.

https://twitter.com/archaeologyart/status/1382053497231790092

Just visited Split. The entire old city is inhabited and there’s apartments and stores everywhere in the palace. Even a record shop. Sheesh.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Crab Dad posted:

Just visited Split. The entire old city is inhabited and there’s apartments and stores everywhere in the palace. Even a record shop. Sheesh.

truly ancient history

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ChubbyChecker posted:

truly ancient history

Yeah I was curious who the hell is buying CDs still.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The tower is made on the bones of the main entrance to the palace proper. The view is from the top. The first picture is just a street view.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah I was curious who the hell is buying CDs still.

Nobody but plenty of people are buying vinyl records.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FreudianSlippers posted:

I looked in and it was mostly CD's. Even in Reijka there's a record shop proudly displaying new CD's. It's weird.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FreudianSlippers posted:

Plenty of people are buying used CDs for cheap now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Love the pipes on the outside of the stone wall houses

Stone walls own but not really all that convenient for modern life

Also you can already see the street rising avoid the level of the buildings which is cool

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So I just watched the HBO show Rome, and I was wondering if there was anything else like it out there, either in book or show form? I did see Spartacus and didn't care much for it, except the prequel season which was decent. Plebs was fun as hell too, but I had to DEFINITELY LEGALLY download it since it's not streamable anywhere outside the UK. I've always had a thing for republican/early imperial Rome so any books/shows/the like y'all could recommend would be awesome.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nuclear War posted:

So I just watched the HBO show Rome, and I was wondering if there was anything else like it out there, either in book or show form?

If you're looking for an entertaining book (series) about roughly the same era try First Man in Rome by McCullough.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cessna posted:

If you're looking for an entertaining book (series) about roughly the same era try First Man in Rome by McCullough.

Can confirm, the books are an intimidating size/page count but very accessible

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nuclear War posted:

So I just watched the HBO show Rome, and I was wondering if there was anything else like it out there, either in book or show form? I did see Spartacus and didn't care much for it, except the prequel season which was decent. Plebs was fun as hell too, but I had to DEFINITELY LEGALLY download it since it's not streamable anywhere outside the UK. I've always had a thing for republican/early imperial Rome so any books/shows/the like y'all could recommend would be awesome.

The BBC’s I, Claudius is the 70s version of Rome. Not to be missed, although it’s even worse about “drat, there sure are 100,000 people just offscreen” than Rome is

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's that german show on netflix where the germans speak modern high german and the romans yell at everyone in italianlatin

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's that german show on netflix where the germans speak modern high german and the romans yell at everyone in italianlatin

its decent. it plays more with history than Rome did, though it does not alter any actual events, just backstories and relationships and such. Varrus is Arminius' adoptive father in the series for instance.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isn't Italian just the modern version of vulgar latin?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Isn't Italian just the modern version of vulgar latin?

All Romance languages are modern versions of Vulgar Latin

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just looking at the Trier bruecke and its uh . . . been rebuilt.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Can confirm, the books are an intimidating size/page count but very accessible

Thirding this series (Masters of Rome.) The first half takes in the Marius/Sulla stuff that preceded and enabled Caesar and the back half covers roughly the same period as HBO Rome. It owns.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

skasion posted:

All Romance languages are modern versions of Vulgar Latin

Isn't Romanian the closest?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mighty Wome

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

F4rt5 posted:

Isn't Romanian the closest?

Depends what precisely you are looking for closeness to, I guess. Maybe if we knew what the Vulgar Latin of early third century Dacia had been like, we could assess the similarity of Romanian to that. But the various Italian languages are closer to Classical Latin than anything else that I’m aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

skasion posted:

Depends what precisely you are looking for closeness to, I guess. Maybe if we knew what the Vulgar Latin of early third century Dacia had been like, we could assess the similarity of Romanian to that. But the various Italian languages are closer to Classical Latin than anything else that I’m aware of.

I think I've heard that Sardinian specifically is the closest, which would make sense. I think it's similar to how Icelandic is the most conservative of the languages derived from Old Norse: isolated Island communities are sometimes really conservative linguistically.

Also fo good Roman media, I absolutely love the Marcus Didius Falco mystery books; they're set during the Flavians and have a few modern sensibilities but they're great fun for fans of Roman history. Her sequel series, the Flavia Alba books, is ongoing now and also fantastic.