Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He paints warhammer models

So he likes to decorate. Case closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you know the army it can be used to calculate his position on the Kinsey Scale.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

superman teaching dr manhattan to be nice is oen of the funniest things ive ever seen. just an enourmous petty gently caress you to alan moore who will never read it

Its always funny how Watchmen very clearly wanted comic books to go back to being silly kid stuff and nobody who says it "inspired" them gets it at all

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

watching Stardust again, starring Daredevil as the main character and Superman as the bully

funny how that works out

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
Moore didn't want comic books to return to being silly stuff for kids he wanted the opposite. He wanted them to transcend superheroes and be taken seriously as a creative medium. That's why he hates the term "graphic novel" and prefers "comic" because it insults comics and makes his work sound like a watered down version of a novel. Instead of drawing inspiration from the creative storytelling in Watchmen and expanding what comics could be, people just look at the violence and said: "wow, Rorschach is so cool give me more of that please--preferably in movie form." And that's why Moore hates everything.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

lmao re: Stardust (and Cavill) at the end just before 1h59m as streamed by Netflix De Niro winks at Cavill and Cavill winks back

forgot about that

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

James Gunn and Romero wrote dawn of the dead which explains a lot.

yeah its funny how you can tell gunn was responsible for the best parts of dawn of the dead. and he's a pretty good director on his own, but he lacks the big stupid visual flair that snyder puts into stuff. slither is still my favorite gunn movie and i think its the one that most honestly delivers on what he wants to do, which is homages to troma movies

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

FFT posted:

watching Stardust again, starring Daredevil as the main character and Superman as the bully

funny how that works out

i watched this the other day and wondered why they both looked so familiar lol

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its always funny how Watchmen very clearly wanted comic books to go back to being silly kid stuff and nobody who says it "inspired" them gets it at all

this is a pretty weird take given how alan moore went on to write From Hell, a brutal black-and-white comic about jack the ripper, and Lost Girls, which is... yeah

edit: i think alan moore doesn't really want the comic industry to go in any particular direction, he's just a misanthrope who will complain about any given trend

Aglet56 has issued a correction as of 16:08 on Apr 14, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

FacelessVoid posted:

Moore didn't want comic books to return to being silly stuff for kids he wanted the opposite. He wanted them to transcend superheroes and be taken seriously as a creative medium.

which is funny because almost everything he ever wrote for the medium is just superheroes + aesthetic

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

MoS/BvS/JL are easily more enjoyable than any Marvel movie except the recent Spideys imo, and even then I probably take MoS over Homecoming

this is an insane take to me. BvS is one of the most miserable watching experiences of my life. that movie drains the souls out of you. id rather watch ironman 2 over it

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

babypolis posted:

this is an insane take to me. BvS is one of the most miserable watching experiences of my life. that movie drains the souls out of you. id rather watch ironman 2 over it

yeah bvs is really bad and im a snyder apologist

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i get it, i'd rather watch something weird and terrible than the dark empty void that is a MCU flick

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

so basically "ill take my cock and ball torture over your mundane, boring pleasures any day of the week"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to see what a Snyder Cut of BvS would be like

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd like to see what a Snyder Cut of BvS would be like

There is the BvS ultimate edition

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

indigi posted:

which is funny because almost everything he ever wrote for the medium is just superheroes + aesthetic

I wouldn't quite say everything. But League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Absolutely. Like a couple of kids mashing together all their toys together and making up reasons why GI Joe is fighting the Lone Ranger with the help of your sister's Raggedy Ann doll.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

nonathlon posted:

I wouldn't quite say everything. But League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Absolutely. Like a couple of kids mashing together all their toys together and making up reasons why GI Joe is fighting the Lone Ranger with the help of your great-grandmother's Golliwog doll.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

BvS is uplifting tho? I mean I guess it doesn't have many quips in it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean is that stuff really any meaningful difference from superhero crossovers except with the brand names involved, done right it's loving rad

Like the whole deal with superhero settings is one big collision of genres, sci-fi meets fantasy meets noir meets martial arts etc etc. Basically why Mortal Kombat works.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Its all fun and games till Mr. Hyde rapes the Invisible Man to death

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MacheteZombie posted:

There is the BvS ultimate edition

cool thanks for the hot tip gonna watch this

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean is that stuff really any meaningful difference from superhero crossovers except with the brand names involved, done right it's loving rad

Like the whole deal with superhero settings is one big collision of genres, sci-fi meets fantasy meets noir meets martial arts etc etc. Basically why Mortal Kombat works.

It's why BvS is so good, it's pure comic book craziness. Not many directors who'd put Mad Max Batman in their film

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Speaking of comic book craziness, finally caught up to doom patrol, and it rocks, go watch it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BvS is fun as hell and insane paranoid murderer Batman is the only realistic take on the character. also Jessie Eisenberg made a fantastic Lex Luthor

e: also the scene at the end where Batman takes the warehouse is one of the best action sequences in any superhero movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

cool thanks for the hot tip gonna watch this

coolio

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Aglet56 posted:

this is a pretty weird take given how alan moore went on to write From Hell, a brutal black-and-white comic about jack the ripper, and Lost Girls, which is... yeah

edit: i think alan moore doesn't really want the comic industry to go in any particular direction, he's just a misanthrope who will complain about any given trend

Hmm i fear i have fallen for the "its so over the top it must be satiric" trick once again

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

indigi posted:

BvS is fun as hell and insane paranoid murderer Batman is the only realistic take on the character. also Jessie Eisenberg made a fantastic Lex Luthor

e: also the scene at the end where Batman takes the warehouse is one of the best action sequences in any superhero movie

It's funny that if WB had their way the movie would have been even more dark and grim and that Chris Terrio was pushing back on the darker stuff, with help from Zack

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
BvS vs Butthead

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

BvS vs Butthead

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

paul_soccer12 posted:

BvS vs Butthead

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Di_PJyDGIg

The inevitable obituary on the collapse of america should contain the fast and furious and superhero movies in the pop culture chapter

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the fast and furious is explicitly un-american because it actually has a diverse cast.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the Fast 9 trailer had me laughing out of excitement

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Fast and the Furious/This is Us mash-up

e: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is pretty good. It's how I first learned or even heard of imperialism :psyduck:

Fleetwood has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Apr 14, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

most of his ABC stuff was fantastic

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hahaha yesss

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

McCloud posted:

It's why BvS is so good, it's pure comic book craziness. Not many directors who'd put Mad Max Batman in their film

No it isn't. It is absolutely miserable in a way most comics arent

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i hope Vin keeps doing these til he dies. like he's a wizened old man behind the wheel of whatever hot as fire car and he's just tearing up the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it do be cool when batman kills all those dudes tho