Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Wargroove wasn't bad but it was just mediocre enough that I got too bored to continue playing. It looks pretty though.

There have been a lot of indie games that manage to make a decent clone of an old niche game so I can't fault their execution too much, but the experience is just not good enough to be worth playing. It's like I play enough to remind me of how much I like the original and so I just go and play that.

I am of the opinion that not one single Advance Wars follow-on has been good enough to play instead of just playing Advance Wars again. I don't think I'm alone in this but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

twistedmentat posted:

I've watched some stuff on The Medium and it looks interesting and the kind of spooky game i'm looking for, being mostly an investigative and puzzle solving game, rather than trying not to die to horrible monsters that pop out of the darkness. It just looks so, fleshy. The same reason I probably will never play Scorn, if it ever comes out.

It has a bunch of really terrible sequences where you have to escape from monsters, and not really much investigation. The puzzles are obtuse, requiring very specific solutions with very few hints, and the writing is godawful.

It's a bad game, best avoided.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

A sequel to Oxenfree was announced for later this year.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oxxidation posted:

the medium, and this is not an exaggeration, uses the holocaust to humanize a pedophile

it’s also a barely functional hack job of a game that relies on apeing SH’s aesthetics to make a decent trailer, and the split screen gimmick is a clownish mess - imagine the heroine constantly, passionately shouting and at things that aren’t there, and what that does to the tone of a scene

do not buy the medium

Huh. Not the sort of themes I want to have in games that are supposed to be fun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Huh. Not the sort of themes I want to have in games that are supposed to be fun.

being unfun gets you a pass in a lot of horror games, clunkiness is practically a genre mainstay. but the medium is just badly designed all over - lame puzzles, repetitive environments, outside threats are usually limited to scripted chase sequences, and of course that spoilered section. a man's girlfriend was captured and killed by the nazis and the trauma of that apparently drove him to molest kids. the game expects this to be a sympathetic moment. it also ends on a smash-to-black cliffhanger, because of course it does

everything bloober team has released gives the horror genre a bad name

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they also profess to be fans of silent hill but don't understand the game design or storytelling philosophy that makes those games classics

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anno posted:

Neat. I wasn't as down on Afterparty as I feel some were but it wasn't as strong as Oxenfree - maybe because it tried jumping the line between comedy and drama too often and how they handled one constantly detracted from the other. Oxenfree mostly stayed in its thriller/horror lane and was better for it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
wargroove has the magic of taking serious issues with advanced wars, like mech spam, and then giving their mech analog a bonus if you mech spam.

it does make boats affordable, though, so that's nice

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Getsu Fumaden roguelite is coming out in early access next month, includes a free port of the famicom game, hopefully translated to english?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDcMVvtPh4

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Gamerofthegame posted:

wargroove has the magic of taking serious issues with advanced wars, like mech spam, and then giving their mech analog a bonus if you mech spam.

it does make boats affordable, though, so that's nice

Never played Advance Wars except for like 20 minutes of the Wii U VC version. Which one is the mech?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Captain Walker posted:

Never played Advance Wars except for like 20 minutes of the Wii U VC version. Which one is the mech?

Mechanized infantry. They’re the infantry with a bazooka

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
From what I've seen, the Medium captures a snapshot of a bygone place and time: Poland in the early post-communist years. It was a gloomy era, but I still got nostalgic seeing a Polonez in a modern day video game. I wanna eventually check it out for that reason alone.

Kinda sucks that most of the in-world text is English, though.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Anno posted:

Tentatively optimistic, but I'm not sure Oxenfree needs a sequel. We'll see, I guess.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Begemot posted:

It has a bunch of really terrible sequences where you have to escape from monsters, and not really much investigation. The puzzles are obtuse, requiring very specific solutions with very few hints, and the writing is godawful.

It's a bad game, best avoided.

Based on that, and what you posted earlier, uninstalled.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

twistedmentat posted:

Based on that, and what you posted earlier, uninstalled.

Yeah, I might keep going a bit and see for myself but that sounds pretty dire. It's a shame because I've found the opening hour or so to be fairly promising, but I liked Layers of Fear so I probably just have terrible taste.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

SuperGreatFriend, the legendary goon who did the Deadly Premonition LP, did a blind runthrough of The Medium. It lives up to the negative impressions people have been posting about it.

In other artistic horror game news, Wadjet Eye is publishing Wormwood Studios' (Primordia) game Strangeland, with a May 25 release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBqDgGlGLlw

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doctor Nutt posted:

Yeah, I might keep going a bit and see for myself but that sounds pretty dire. It's a shame because I've found the opening hour or so to be fairly promising, but I liked Layers of Fear so I probably just have terrible taste.

Yea that's how long the Giant Bomb (or was it outside xbox?) video I watched was, so I guess the first hour is pretty decent then it goes down hill?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Last impression on Age of Decadence.

I went back to play through following a walk-through for a hybrid class optimized to see the most content. There's way more to the game then I saw in a pure social skills playthrough, from extra map locations, side quests, even city areas that I couldn't go to because of combat encounters. Playing with the merchant class, I probably missed a good 70% of the major content. A fair bit of that is tied into whichever class quest you pick and who you side with among the city lords. A ton of stuff is gated by combat encounters, and even if you were a sole fighter you couldn't access it anyways without dipping into a bunch of social skills. The optimal strategy is to hoard skill points and level as needed, plus there's tons of times you can talk to people and get free skill points or level increases from training.

The combat is definitely a slog though if you aren't always skilled to the max with the best gear possible. For most of the game it's basically save or die, since critical hits ignore armor if the enemies get lucky and do more then 2 critical hits you're probably going to lose. Armor damage is a on-hit, permanent effect to, so a bad combat round where you take 11 armor damage requires you to find a blacksmith to repair it. You can also suffer permanent stat damage, which requires an expensive trip to the healers to fix.

Playing a hybrid class more of less required perfect outcomes for combat to work in the beginning. Early on there was a fight, and I followed a guide that said if you didn't start first, reload. Throw a bomb and if it doesn't knock down the shield fighter, reload. I ended up saving and reloading no less then 10x per fight for a while until I said gently caress it and cheated so I always had full health. Once you learn the tricks it gets easier, but still a lucky enemy getting 2 critical hits in a row can mean the end for you.

Overall, aside from the 90s crpg hard combat, its a really impressive game. It definitely went for the old school vibe and managed to succeed at still making a really interesting game in general if held back by an excessively punishing and grinding combat mode.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Trickyblackjack posted:

Tentatively optimistic, but I'm not sure Oxenfree needs a sequel. We'll see, I guess.

It does not need a sequel, but their sophomore game Afterparty was not as well received so they're going back to the hit.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It is a game about getting stuck in time loops to the point where the new game plus is another iteration of the time loop, a sequel in still another iteration of the time loop is a natural fit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oxxidation posted:

being unfun gets you a pass in a lot of horror games, clunkiness is practically a genre mainstay. but the medium is just badly designed all over - lame puzzles, repetitive environments, outside threats are usually limited to scripted chase sequences, and of course that spoilered section. a man's girlfriend was captured and killed by the nazis and the trauma of that apparently drove him to molest kids. the game expects this to be a sympathetic moment. it also ends on a smash-to-black cliffhanger, because of course it does

Jesus loving Christ, yeah okay avoiding this one like the plague.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

pseudorandom name posted:

It is a game about getting stuck in time loops to the point where the new game plus is another iteration of the time loop, a sequel in still another iteration of the time loop is a natural fit.

True, yet I played the new game+ part and I'll say that was conclusive enough that a sequel is just... unnecessary, to the point of spiting on the original work.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Rebel Blob posted:

SuperGreatFriend, the legendary goon who did the Deadly Premonition LP, did a blind runthrough of The Medium. It lives up to the negative impressions people have been posting about it.

Also should be noted for anyone not familiar that one of SGF's fortes is making terrible horror games entertaining, but The Medium was such a dreadful boring slog that even he couldn't really save it. I tapped out during part 4 or 5. Though watching it slowly sap away his will to live was admittedly a little amusing

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 15, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
From what I saw, Song of Horror might be more what I'm looking for. There is also Lust from Beyond which looks like From Beyond the game.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm asking this over here too since it gets quite a bit more traffic but I'm closing in on 600 hours on Dyson Sphere Project and I'm getting to a point where I can see considering maybe playing something else, some weeks or months down the line. Excluding Factorio and Satisfactory, what games are going to compare to DSP? I don't mean strictly "space factory game" but I like the gameplay loop and progression model especially, where you get to a point where there's a billion things in your world and you're like "I made all of these things". I don't know if I'm looking for gameplay as much as a vibe.

again, different gameplay, but in the x-series of space games, you can build up an empire, but the galaxy is already existing. at least in the last good one which is getting a free expansion* soon, x3. *if you already own the other dlcs

you can set up shop in nearly empty or maybe completely empty systems, i can't remember which. so almost everything at your star would be yours, but the rest of the gameworld would not.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

lets hang out posted:

Getsu Fumaden roguelite is coming out in early access next month, includes a free port of the famicom game, hopefully translated to english?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDcMVvtPh4

Thanks, this looks really cool.

also lol konami :allears:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I only now noticed that Ghostrunner is on a 50% sale and I wanted to give a shoutout that people should get it. It's a level-based FPS where you play as a cyberpunk-ninja and it has some strong Mirror's Edge + Super Meat Boy + Hotline Miami genes in it and is one of the best FPS platformers ever made. It has tight design, great controls and will absolutely test your reflexes but at the same time thanks to its immediate respawn mechanic after you gently caress up it does't feel tedious and you want to give it one more try (and then one more etc.). The game has a demo so you can try it out first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6aMIXm0cE&t=12s

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Having watched an LP of the Medium, I can confidently say it has almost nothing to recommend it. The story is bad, the gameplay is bad, the puzzles are bad. The graphics are serviceable.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Palpek posted:

I only now noticed that Ghostrunner is on a 50% sale and I wanted to give a shoutout that people should get it. It's a level-based FPS where you play as a cyberpunk-ninja and it has some strong Mirror's Edge + Super Meat Boy + Hotline Miami genes in it and is one of the best FPS platformers ever made. It has tight design, great controls and will absolutely test your reflexes but at the same time thanks to its immediate respawn mechanic after you gently caress up it does't feel tedious and you want to give it one more try (and then one more etc.). The game has a demo so you can try it out first.

...Is the full retail game like, way way way better than the demo they released? Since that demo totally sunk it, it was basically unresponsive platforming with a dash of insta-death so you just keep replaying the sequence till you've memorized it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Downloaded the demo of outriders and goddam that's some tediously generic flimflam

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Serephina posted:

...Is the full retail game like, way way way better than the demo they released? Since that demo totally sunk it, it was basically unresponsive platforming with a dash of insta-death so you just keep replaying the sequence till you've memorized it.

That’s the point, it’s FPS Hotline Miami. Just not your cup of tea, game’s really good but just like the demo.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TZxTwRQY_M

:dafuq:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

All of my monitor refresh rates are like that too, it's really weird

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Serephina posted:

The gameplay gets way more intense but the mechanics stay similar to the demo. It doesn't sound like it's your thing and that's ok but at the same time I don't agree about the unresponsive platforming, to me it feels extremely responsive and that's one of the things the game is widely praised for by people who enjoy it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I'm curious why they didn't just round it, or why even mention it when they uploaded it in 30. I thought it would be 60 at first and felt really weird looking at it, like they had messed up frame pacing or something, but it wasn't like that after all.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The thing that gets me about Days Gone is I still don't understand why they hired Sam Witwer, who can act and then asked him to phone it in as hard as possible.

But also it's extremely funny that technically you're playing Starkiller in the zombie apocalypse.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Old TV legacy rate. Probably recorded via capture card that uses old TV rate for reasons.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You can preorder Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 now, it drops in June.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oxxidation posted:

Yus that's pretty gross and nobody should use any mediums to try to give acceptance or justification to any kind of real life horrible situations. Games just need to stick to being games sometimes and not try to push some creepy narrative that actually hurts real people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AI War 2

quote:

The TLDR Of The Paradigm Shift

"Everything is the same but also different" is a good way to phrase this, I think.

Most of the central concepts of the game are the same -- how combat works, how the economy works, what techs there are, how you upgrade in broad terms, and so on. Much of the new version should feel very very familiar, which is of course the idea. If you are a player with next to no hours under your belt, the two versions are pretty much indistinguishable except for the many UI improvements.

And yet. If you have a dozen or more hours in the game, this is going to feel like VERY alien territory for a short while. Essentially everything you ever knew about the meta for the game is changed in very drastic fashion, and even some of the major goals of the game (like Global Command Augmenters) don't exist anymore.

Word from most of our beta testers has generally been along the lines of "holy cow, this is vastly better in almost every way." (The second bit of opinion is also "hey, the game got a bit easier -- so many bump the AI difficulty up by 1 from what it was before for whatever your play level was.")

Anyhow. The game's meta allows for more playstyles, is more flexible, is more fun, and is still plenty challenging if you tune your difficulty or add extra factions. As to what changed and why, I'll get into the major items down below.

We also have a wide array of under-the-hood improvements for you in this build, plus tons of new mods by independent mod authors. Our second paid expansion for the game, Zenith Onslaught, is coming May 18th with an absolutely gargantuan amount of content.