Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Party Boat posted:

I have no idea what this means but I'm excited!

In practice it makes any kind of positional movement smoother, particularly if framerate drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

That’s totally not going to lead to a lawsuit.

Yeah, that sure seems like something Facebook's gonna be a tad unhappy about :eyepop:.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

How is hand tracking experimental feature in quest 2 these days? Do people use it for games and basic usage?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ughhhh posted:

How is hand tracking experimental feature in quest 2 these days? Do people use it for games and basic usage?

I think it's still pretty bad, every time I've tried it failed a lot.

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.

Turin Turambar posted:

I think it's still pretty bad, every time I've tried it failed a lot.

I see its use being more situational-laying in bed, don't want to grab controllers to control video play, etc. Seems a bit janky for game stuff but to be fair I've never tried it in a game

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Hand-tracking works reasonably well for me but it's very lighting-dependent and not exactly pinpoint accurate. I use it for menu-based stuff like controlling playback when I'm watching video in VR but I haven't found any other real uses for it beyond the couple of glitchy tech demos on SideQuest.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Xaintrailles posted:

I think you have to blow up all three (?) targets in one grenade. Gave me loads of trouble too.

So I went back, and what happens is, you walk through the door into the grenade room, and the targets aren't visible from where you're standing - you have to move across the room slightly and do a 180 just to see them, and there are multiple other windows in view with nothing in them that made me think there weren't any targets at all. It didn't even say anything about targets, just "here's how to throw the grenade", then restarts the instructions after you've thrown.

This doesn't seem very well playtested. Switching dominant hand doesn't correct half the controls, pin pulling worked maybe one in ten times, removing attachments involves twisting the gun sideways and even when I had it exactly over the tutorial outline it rarely registered, and it seems weirdly finicky about whether you need to use the grip or trigger for any given action, even when it doesn't matter. Absolutely infuriating to play.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Hand tracking is kinda cool on VR chat, it only works PCVR though

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Thank you for the Eleven Table Tennis recommendations. The community is really chill and nice, and my buddies and I had fun playing each other.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Oculus is really into the "That's a good idea, we're going to make our version and give it away" thing. That's probably better for the consumer but must suck for the VD guy though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lockback posted:

Oculus is really into the "That's a good idea, we're going to make our version and give it away" thing. That's probably better for the consumer but must suck for the VD guy though.

I have to assume that's why they allowed it onto the full store without sideloading for the last few months, some small goodwill gesture so he could make money off it before it was obsoleted. With that said it'll probably still have some utility for some people since AirLink is specifically coming to Quest 2, so people who are still using OG Quests will want it as well as the handful of mutants who might be using it on Oculus Go. Also anyone who wants to do Virtual Desktop stuff on a Mac for whatever reason.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ughhhh posted:

It's ok? Not great but it mostly works and is nice for moving through the OS UI if your controllers aren't immediately at hand. Handlab just came out and consists entirely of puzzles intended to be done via hand tracking, bit it's also designed with the jank in mind. You can use controllers if you're a coward.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So is air link confirmed to work with non-oculus store front games? I figured they would try to block that somehow.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Enos Cabell posted:

So is air link confirmed to work with non-oculus store front games? I figured they would try to block that somehow.

They don't block it with link cable and the Oculus software explicitly lets you launch steam games so I don't know why they'd suddenly block airlink.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fair point!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lockback posted:

I mean... the *idea* of using wifi instead of usb to do streaming is obvious. Not a lot to really copy there. Here it's a tweet from 2018, they already had a research project in that year:
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1046543227917148161

The hard part here is the implementation, the execution, not the idea itself.

edit: oh, here it's VD's creator being salty about it
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-air-link-120/

it makes me roll my eyes, because it was clear that eventually they were going to develop something similar.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 14, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Lockback posted:

They've been talking about wireless tethering for a while and it's a super obvious way to go. Regular rear end consumers were talking about the possibility since the Quest was announced, there was never any chance they wouldn't go there eventually.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I mean... the *idea* of using wifi instead of usb to do streaming is obvious. Not a lot to really copy there. Here it's a tweet from 2018, they already had a research project in that year:
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1046543227917148161

The hard part here is the implementation, the execution, not the idea itself.

it makes me roll my eyes, because it was clear that eventually they were going to develop something similar.

I'd imagine that Oculus may have made overtones to give VD some money back in the day, but got turned down. I've heard similar things from other apps in the past. That said, if Carmack was on the case back in 2018 it was only a matter of time. Plus Oculus/FB has infinite money to throw into a clean room reverse engineering setup so they can pretty much do what they please.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah there's some real naiviety in his statement, like of course when a thing gets popular a company always builds it into their own thing. Gmail came from the rise of webmail popularity in the early 2000s, literally everyone built their own videoconferencing system when Zoom took off, after Instagram launched every phone camera app suddenly had loads of filters. I'd wager he was hoping Facebook would just buy VD to incorporate into the Quest rather than build their own system which as has been pointed out, they've been talking about doing for years.

quote:

In 2017, Facebook copied the base functionality of Virtual Desktop on Rift and incorporated it in their platform, essentially making my app obsolete. I’m not surprised to see them do this again on Quest. They copied the fitness tracking app YUR last year and released Oculus Move; essentially killing the company. They also released App Lab as they saw how popular SideQuest was. That’s what they do. If you have a popular app on Quest today, expect Facebook to copy you and leave you in the dust. As for the fate of Virtual Desktop on Quest, we will have to see how Facebook’s solution competes. Judging by the number of issues plaguing Oculus Link today, I’m confident Virtual Desktop will remain a valuable solution for a while. I’ve also got a lot of cool features in the works that I can’t wait to share with the community.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The old adage of "good X copy, great X steal" is an adage for a reason.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'll keep using Virtual Desktop! Because I still have a Quest 1.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Poor bastard's real naive if he can't tell they're gonna squeeze him out slow rather than drop him overnight. Virtual Desktop's only so good as long as the integrated push-button solution is worse than it, and the moment it's convenient and viable to the playerbase there goes his community on the Quest more-or-less overnight.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VD is a great product. For the longest time it had less issue that Link (which sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect the cable, I had to rename a virtual audio device name because it seems they don't know windows can be in different languages, and for a time I had audio crackle issues). It loads fast, the UI is fine. Oh, and I much prefer the VD desktop software than Oculus!

But being an unofficial streaming solution, it has some limitations. It has some compatibility issues with some apps, there are others that fail because the app re-launches itself again at some point (as VD's has to inject in the app), and it doesn't support Oculus ASW.

So if theoretically Oculus can do what VD does but without these issues, and for free, as customer I won't complain. And if VD is still better in some areas, I still have it.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 14, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I imagine for a while at least VD will still work better in some cases, and will still be worth it.

As oculus shores up airlink though, that might go away.

Honestly if I’m the VD dev, I’d be less pissed about oculus building airlink (they’ve been hinting at it for a long time) and more mad that they didn’t buy my company for $FacebookMoney

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Or possibly mad that they said no when FB made the offer.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

We didn't comment it, but months ago there was a Capcom leak that said something about RE4 VR.
https://www.roadtovr.com/leaked-capcom-resident-evil-4-vr-oculus/

It was scheduled for April. Oculus has announced their games showcase for next week, in April. So I guess it will be announced there?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Makes sense, it is a format that doesn't yet have a version of RE4 so of course Capcom wants to fix that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Warbird posted:

The old adage of "good X copy, great X steal" is an adage for a reason.

It's a little different when the one doing the copying and stealing is an anti-competition monopoly that is complicit in genocide and the general breakdown of western society, though.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
If I was the creator of VD, I'd be pretty sour about facebook not buying my IP as well but they don't need it. Definitely a bummer, but a virtual desktop in oculus rift software and first party wifi streaming just seem like natural progression for vr platforms. It should come as no surprise.

He must have sold his software to a significant portion of Quest and Quest 2 owners. Honestly, gg was lucky to be ahead of them for so long.

Who knows though, Link kinda sucks sometimes - maybe they'll mess this up too

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

Or possibly mad that they said no when FB made the offer.

IIRC Facebook offered to buy it multiple times, but he refused.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Really if they've made multiple offers to pay you money for the functionality, you don't really get to complain when they go off and build the function themselves. Especially when it's such an obvious feature.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
Oh yeah if that's true he hosed up big time

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

You have really make that call unless you know how much they offered him. They may have offered him a terrible deal since they don't actually need his IP and only offered anything to look good.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

You have really make that call unless you know how much they offered him. They may have offered him a terrible deal since they don't actually need his IP and only offered anything to look good.

Yeah you're right, additionally there are many good reasons to not take facebook money

Whether it's a calculated risk or a moral position to not take the money I can't help but think that while he can bring additional value to current Quest users that it will be hard to bring new users to his software with a free and likely decent option on the table. Maybe there's money to be made on new HTC headsets etc

edit: ehh I let my speculation and reactionary "whaaat he didn't take facebook money??" take get the better of me. He could have already tapped the quest market sufficiently and taking their money ultimately gives them more power over wireless gaming in the entire space and that sucks. Idk how representative I am of the market but once I can buy a better standalone platform than quest, I will. And if I needed to buy VD again to play wirelessly, I totally would. Good on gg

playground tough fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 14, 2021

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
They probably didn't bother buying Virtual Desktop because they would need to reprogram everything from scratch anyway. The netcode was inefficient (just used simple TCP streams for everything). The desktop interaction capability was inferior to the native Oculus PC dashboard (it had to change your desktop resolution to work and didn't let to pull individual program windows into your virtual space). The hand/head prediction algorithms were worse than normal Link. It didn't link into the Oculus SDK (it used SteamVR) so it lacked stuff like ASW.

There is nothing Oculus would have gained by buying Virtual Desktop other than getting rid of competition. At least now people have an option for streaming for older devices or for interaction with SteamVR without going through the Oculus SDK (because SteamVR often breaks).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the wireless PCVR stuff seems like the kind of thing that was only a matter of time, it's honestly pretty crazy to think that there's people out there who have no idea this capability even exists because it's (as of now) hidden behind a third party app. It's an insane value add for an already great headset.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VR Chat avatar dynamics
https://twitch.tv/videos/986686220?t=3325s
I wonder in what this can be used...

I found it funny how well they know their audience. The technology is presented by a furry animal avatar and an anime girl avatar.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That anime girl is Unity-chan, lol. She's a free asset on the Unity asset store.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I feel for the VD guy, but he's already gotten my money twice over so I don't feel THAT bad. Besides, air link is exactly the kind of functionality that should be built in from the start.

It reminds me of the early days of home computers, like, the 80's and into the 90's you'd have companies who's whole business model was selling like, loving programs just to copy files, look at your directory structure, zip files, etc. Just the most basic rear end functions that SHOULD be a part of an OS over time. Even the infamous browser wars of the 90's with microsoft, i mean all the other shady poo poo they were doing that they should have gotten run out on the rails for aside, including a browser and internet functionality built in SHOULD have been added as standard at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

I feel for the VD guy, but he's already gotten my money twice over so I don't feel THAT bad.

Don't feel that bad because he has 660K downloads on Sidequest. The only to download it from Sidequest and not from the Oculus store is to apply the patch that allows for pcvr streaming, that precisely is the paid feature. Even if we discount 3/4 of them because repeat downloads by the same user or people downloading it without knowing what it is, at $15 a pop he made... 600k x 0.25 x 15 x 0.7 = $866.000. Not bad. That doesn't include a part since he was approved finally on the oculus store, two months ago I believe?, as from that point onwards, Sidequest was not needed.

In other news, Puzzling Pieces seems the first game to go from AppLab to official store.
https://twitter.com/PuzzlingPlaces/status/1382347955454218240

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 14, 2021