Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Yeah. It's ambiguous from how it's portrayed in the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So something doesn't sit right to me. I had an idea about what it might all mean, but there are enough points that weaken or contradict my theory that I can't call it a slam dunk either, so instead I'm going to pose some questions.

Q: What is the purpose of the Sanctuary?

Imma be honest, this is a good question because the Sanctuary seems to have a bunch of disjoined and unrelated effects and it being powered by Echidna's body makes approximately 0 sense since they were activating it well before her death in the flashback.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Imma be honest, this is a good question because the Sanctuary seems to have a bunch of disjoined and unrelated effects and it being powered by Echidna's body makes approximately 0 sense since they were activating it well before her death in the flashback.

I thought the Sanctuary was powered by the original Ryuzu, and it was just the temple's trials that were connected to Echidna's body/vessel. Wasn't that the whole point of Ryuzu and Betty's sad goodbye when the attack started?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

AlternateNu posted:

I thought the Sanctuary was powered by the original Ryuzu, and it was just the temple's trials that were connected to Echidna's body/vessel. Wasn't that the whole point of Ryuzu and Betty's sad goodbye when the attack started?

But why would Echidna's body disable the barrier? It's clear it was a central component to it since it was only once the runes connecting it to the Sanctuary were destroyed that the barrier disappeared. That doesn't make any sense if it was already started and operational before she died.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
If there are two Echidnas it is entirely possible the second one altered the original system after the fact to incorporate the trials and tied it to the original's corpse.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. It's ambiguous from how it's portrayed in the anime.

When I watched I definitely took that first screenshot to literally mean "I stabbed your family" lol, guess it was more ambiguous than I thought

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
He let it happen, swooped in to save them after Ram got her horn cut off, and then spilled the beans to Ram (and not Rem) after taking them in.

Whatever greater plans he had (or still has) beyond the Sanctuary required Ram, it seems.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A couple questions regarding the anime vs WN (no real spoilers for anyone who has seen the full new anime season):

- Doesn't Subaru use the sloth witch factor more than once in the WN? I feel like I remember him using it 2 or 3 times, as opposed to once in the anime.
- I feel like I remember there being more stuff involving the Ryuzu clones, but I could be misremembering.

The one thing I think worked a bit better in the WN is that the various "character gives inspiring speech to other character" scenes felt much more spaced out in the WN, while it feels a little awkward having these big moments literally like 1+ times an episode during the latter half of this season. This isn't really the anime's fault, though, since it had to compress all this content within a single season.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think the pacing of it in the anime wasn't great. Every episode having an inspiring speech was fine, but they also tended to have the lengthy character backstory explaining why the character was making the speech happen immediately before the speech itself, which feels like a cheap slog once you get to the third or 4th time they've done it and gets confusing quickly. Switching around the timing of some of these events/when the backstories are explained would've helped a lot

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey so I’m nearing the end of season 2 on Crunchyroll and I’m pretty confused. The english s2 dub has 44 episodes but the original has 50…?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

They don't dump the English dubs all at once, so once you catch up you get to enjoy six weeks of cliffhangers as they release each episode.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Wicked Them Beats posted:

They don't dump the English dubs all at once, so once you catch up you get to enjoy six weeks of cliffhangers as they release each episode.

This is loving horrible news. Thank you for explaining. I just caught up last night. Maybe I'll watch it again or something, this is my first anime and I have super enjoyed it. Waiting a week per 30 minute episode is horrifying after binging the entire rest of it.

Just so I'm clear here, when season 3 drops, we have to wait for the English dub and THEN have to wait again for the whole thing to get slow rolled at one per week? hosed up if true.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 9, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Taima posted:

This is loving horrible news. Thank you for explaining. I just caught up last night. Maybe I'll watch it again or something, this is my first anime and I have super enjoyed it. Waiting a week per 30 minute episode is horrifying after binging the entire rest of it.

Just so I'm clear here, when season 3 drops, we have to wait for the English dub and THEN have to wait again for the whole thing to get slow rolled at one per week? hosed up if true.

Why not try the subs?

I can’t say I’ve watched the dub for this show, but the dubs are typically much worse.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Re Zero dub is fantastic

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Why not try the subs?

I can’t say I’ve watched the dub for this show, but the dubs are typically much worse.

My main concern is that I'm so used to the dub voice actors that the show would feel weird/disconnected if I went sub now.

RevolverDivider posted:

The Re Zero dub is fantastic

Obviously I have no clue about anime but I agree that the dub version has been great! This show has really floored me, it's so loving good.

It's so good that it makes me want to read the novels, but that would also spoil the show I think...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Man so I'm rewatching this from the beginning... again, this is my first anime at the ripe age of 35 and it has really gripped me.

This is probably a common opinion (I would read the thread but I get spoilered every 2 seconds) but the scene in season 1 that starts with the first encounter with Betelguise or whatever and ends with Puck at the castle is loving sublimely awesome.

Everything about the end at the castle in particular is just loving nuts. The music selection, the perspective, Puck atop the castle, the accumulation of snow over the red, rolling credits. Ridiculously amazing.

The real cherry on top of that scene for me is that when Puck decapitates Subaru, he does it with no dramatic anime magic. His head just... falls off. Cue credits. That is absurdly masterful use of defied expectation, and brings home the true hopelessness of the situation as the world ends. There's no more time or need for the formality of animating the magic itself; it's just over.

There's probably no way this show is ever going to get better than that, but that's ok. Eagerly awaiting the final dubs!

I watched a couple with the wife but she doesn't seem into it. That's ok though, it's kind of awkward to have to explain all the anime titties and waifu stuff

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm so happy for you! It's only uphill from here with this series.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Bossy Emilia is best.
In retrospect, I kinda expected Emilia to become way more pissed at Roswaal, as if 'she had never felt so angry in her entire life'. (When I read the WN chapter I was hootin and hollering; I don't quite feel that here.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Did the anime ever cover how Emilia is mentally like 14 years old or something? Don't remember that being mentioned and I think it came up in the WN at some point (in a way that simultaneously made Emilia's character make more sense and made Subaru's romance with her ethically dubious).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

Did the anime ever cover how Emilia is mentally like 14 years old or something? Don't remember that being mentioned and I think it came up in the WN at some point (in a way that simultaneously made Emilia's character make more sense and made Subaru's romance with her ethically dubious).

Kinda, she's mentally in her mid teens, physically in her late teens, and biologically over a hundred, and is also a bit odd cause she was heavily sheltered and alone for several years. But Subaru lets also not forget is a teen too. He's 17, assuming she is 14 in mental years, that is only a 3 year difference, and it's not like he has any way of knowing that stuff.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Emelia's character makes a lot more sense when you realize that at the start of the series other than a talking cat and creepy clown, she's had zero friends or parental figures in her entire life until she regains her memories at least. So of course she throws herself at the first person to express unambiguous affection for her.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mentally stunted and weird due to a long period of isolation? drat she really is the perfect match for Subaru

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Mentally stunted and weird due to a long period of isolation? drat she really is the perfect match for Subaru

I feel like this is a recipe for toxic codependence which would be kinda cool to see explored.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thought there was supposed to be an announcement a few days after the last episode aired. Any news for OVAs?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Thought there was supposed to be an announcement a few days after the last episode aired. Any news for OVAs?

I did some googling and apparently nothing happened at whatever event people were expecting something to happen at.

I can't imagine them not doing a Season 3 at this point, but I'm not holding my breath for announcements either.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like this is a recipe for toxic codependence which would be kinda cool to see explored.

The last two arcs have been all about specifically veering hard off this outcome (which Roswaal had been aiming for).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Conspiratiorist posted:

The last two arcs have been all about specifically veering hard off this outcome (which Roswaal had been aiming for).

Sorta true but we mainly have seen this I feel on Subaru's side of things and only a little bit on Emilia's side of things, and most of that was like a "bad end".

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

In the episode where Emilia's backstory is revealed and she "fights" Pandora, Pandora mentions that they need to stop fighting so that (paraphrasing) "something bad doesn't happen".

She's clearly not referring to Emilia's super-ice form (I think...?) because she's not vulnerable to it and doesn't seem to care that much when it happens anyways. That seems to imply that what she's actually worried about is Emilia converting into the Witch of Envy which happened before at the Sactuary... is that right?

The overall insinuation this season appears to be that current Emilia is the witch of envy and there's some time fuckery, which is on-brand for envy's powers (despite people continually insinuating that she's her daughter or wahtever) :shrug:

Another random thought: isn't it a plot hole that Beatrice "saved up her mana" forever in her bid to destroy the rabbits (and then become useless I guess afterwards)? We're told on numerous occasions that all magical beings of sufficient power need to vent their mana (Puck and later Ros) but Beatrice just gets to stockpile mana for 400 years?

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 21, 2021

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Taima posted:

Another random thought: isn't it a plot hole that Beatrice "saved up her mana" forever in her bid to destroy the rabbits (and then become useless I guess afterwards)? We're told on numerous occasions that all magical beings of sufficient power need to vent their mana (Puck and later Ros) but Beatrice just gets to stockpile mana for 400 years?

I try not to think too hard about things like this, but I imagine one could just reason around this by saying she has abnormally large mana capacity or something.

It's pretty transparently supposed to be an excuse for why she can't teleport any future threat to the infinite bloodthirsty rabbit void.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Speaking of those wabbits, someone made a godamn academic paper on their population growth.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Taima posted:

I think you can interpret it as "she saved up to maximum capacity and then vented the rest." I'm not sure if it specifies that she's been increasing it for the full ~400 years.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IQM5EPf2Y0

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh Hell yeah.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
FINALLY! :toot:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

has a date been announced?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Nope, just announcing the season.

Though from the visuals they put out they will be covering arcs 5 and 6, which would take more than 24 episodes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

LostRook posted:

Nope, just announcing the season.

Though from the visuals they put out they will be covering arcs 5 and 6, which would take more than 24 episodes.

i suddenly have concern that it will only get 24 episodes

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If they cut the OP/ED as hard as they did last season we'll end up with like, 30 eps out of a 24 ep season.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
A leaker apparently called both the third season and the JRPG happening. As part of that it was noted that the third season would be somewhere between 30-35 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Arc 5 could fit in a single cour, but 6 is really dense and needs room to breathe.