Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was talking on work slack about the Ever Given and idly wondered aloud how much of the cargo was perishable.

I almost added "The Wire style" but stopped myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Guaranteed that a bunch of people died in shipping containers behind this blockage though. Either on the Ever Given itself or one of the other ships that had to wait or go around the Cape because of it.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Gus is actually a good character. The way he treats Scott is the reason Scott feels stuck and decides to lie. Gus can't see past his own pretension. If he was willing to adapt, or at least recognize the hypocrisy of his supposed integrity he could've avoided pretty much everything. It's a much more nuanced story than it gets credit for.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
People always talk about the virtues of all these hidden angles to season 5 but it just never works for me.

Not to discredit those that can find virtue but even when I look look these things the Newspaper story just isn't satisfying and doesn't resonate with me.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
To be honest the only way I can believe journalists in fiction nowadays is if they are portrayed as the least curious and most gullible sycophant motherfuckers alive.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Season 5 if made this year would be about a journalist making a fake Twitter account and then reporting on what it says.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

algebra testes posted:

People always talk about the virtues of all these hidden angles to season 5 but it just never works for me.

Not to discredit those that can find virtue but even when I look look these things the Newspaper story just isn't satisfying and doesn't resonate with me.

Yeah, I mean, it's okay. But it felt off the same way the last season of so many HBO shows feel off. I think the shortened season was a lot of it, but folks earlier in the thread mentioned that it also felt like David Simon was too close to the subject, and I think that's right, too. So maybe he did tell a nuanced story about Gus failing journalism, that's a perfectly valid read, but for a general audience, it didn't resonate. I'm sure it did though with every journalist from the 70's - 90's who saw their institution hollowed out as expensive veterans were bought out and replaced with trust-fund kids working cheap.

Anyway. Five is almost universally accepted as the worst season of the show, and I agree with that, but it also has some of the best scenes in the series. I wish I liked it more.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So while it's not as much of a masterpiece as The Wire - and other than the Sopranos and Twin Peaks, nothing is so can't complain there - I've been watching and enjoying Homicide: Life on the Streets.Seeing it for the first time. I was wondering, do we have an old thread in the archives or whatever for it? I'd love to read Goon thoughts on it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So while it's not as much of a masterpiece as The Wire - and other than the Sopranos and Twin Peaks, nothing is so can't complain there - I've been watching and enjoying Homicide: Life on the Streets.Seeing it for the first time. I was wondering, do we have an old thread in the archives or whatever for it? I'd love to read Goon thoughts on it.

I don't know about a thread but I think it's valid discussion for this thread, seeing as it relates to The Wire. I went through it a few years back and enjoyed it more than I thought I would, considering it was a dialed down network show. It wasn't perfect but I thought it was enjoyable (the movie too) and you can definitely see the seeds of The Wire in there which was fun. Also the episode with Robin Williams is genuinely great, what a performance. And some of the more progressive elements with the characters was a pleasant surprise.

I recently started reading the David Simon book Homicide too, which I think is far more like The Wire than Life on the Streets, even though some of the episodes of Homicide are directly lifted from the book. Good read if you dig The Wire.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, both of Simon's books are fantastic and well worth reading.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Goons, I just finished the 4th season for the first time and that whole thing was a hard watch. Anything with the kids was just such a bummer. Surely I'm not the only one that got depressed watching this season?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ending on Namond at the literal crossroads but having made it out, and Colvin getting ONE success at last really helped dilute a lot of the pain so many of the other characters went through. It's a surprisingly uplifting final shot, with the peaceful suburban street and the relative quiet after being so used to the city noise permeating every aspect of the season otherwise (or eerie silences following violence or signaling danger).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Stare-Out posted:

I recently started reading the David Simon book Homicide too, which I think is far more like The Wire than Life on the Streets, even though some of the episodes of Homicide are directly lifted from the book. Good read if you dig The Wire.

Homicide was "just" an okay book for me, only because it read more like a textbook for police school. It had a lot of dryness to it.

The Corner, on the other hand, was absolutely brilliant. You will see a few characters from The Wire within this book, and I feel it should be on peoples bucketlist. You will be transported to the streets and live the life of a junkie, a corner boy, a person clawing their way out and more. Simon refined his data and presents it in a more digestible way than he did in Homicide. HBO also made The Corner miniseries, which was the proto-Wire and is sorta worth watching as well. It uses some people from the Baltimore streets rather than actors, so it's a bit rough. HBO has never made it available for streaming and I had to get it from the depths of the internet in terrible low-quality presentation. I would read the book first.

As for the show Homicide, is it streaming anywhere yet? I've been wanting to watch that but could never track it down.

My only real complaint with the last season is McNulty acting completely out of character. It was just wrong, and the news reporter story weaving into it made that wrong. Marlo tho, that saved it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 29, 2021

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Philthy posted:

Homicide was "just" an okay book for me, only because it read more like a textbook for police school. It had a lot of dryness to it.

The Corner, on the other hand, was absolutely brilliant. You will see a few characters from The Wire within this book, and I feel it should be on peoples bucketlist. You will be transported to the streets and live the life of a junkie, a corner boy, a person clawing their way out and more. Simon refined his data and presents it in a more digestible way than he did in Homicide. HBO also made The Corner miniseries, which was the proto-Wire and is sorta worth watching as well. It uses some people from the Baltimore streets rather than actors, so it's a bit rough. HBO has never made it available for streaming and I had to get it from the depths of the internet in terrible low-quality presentation. I would read the book first.

As for the show Homicide, is it streaming anywhere yet? I've been wanting to watch that but could never track it down.

My only real complaint with the last season is McNulty acting completely out of character. It was just wrong, and the news reporter story weaving into it made that wrong. Marlo tho, that saved it.

Yeah, McNulty acted completely out of character going along with Lester's crazy bullshit :psyduck:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Strawman posted:

Yeah, McNulty acted completely out of character going along with Lester's crazy bullshit :psyduck:

Well, it was stupid for McNulty to start this idea, and then even dumber when Lester got in on it. It just wasn't who they are. Pain in the rear end, sure, but making up dumb psycho rear end biting serial killer? Meh.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Casting news for Simon and company's upcoming series.

John Berenthal, Jamie Hector (Marlo Stanfield), and Josh Charles. Haven't heard of that last guy, but Berenthal and Hector have chops.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/we-own-this-city-hbo-jon-bernthal-jamie-hector-josh-charles-hbo-the-wire-1234976830/

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh it's that guy from Sports Night; that show that I've never watched an episode of and yet whenever I see one of the leads in anything I immediately think "oh it's that guy from Sports Night" despite anything else I might have seen him in

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"Dead Poets Society" Josh Charles? He's been in a ton of stuff but never gotten much recognition. Still, not bad casting either way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Berenthal and Hector is awesome news, hell yeah.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

deoju posted:

Casting news for Simon and company's upcoming series.

John Berenthal, Jamie Hector (Marlo Stanfield), and Josh Charles. Haven't heard of that last guy, but Berenthal and Hector have chops.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/we-own-this-city-hbo-jon-bernthal-jamie-hector-josh-charles-hbo-the-wire-1234976830/

The Wire season 6

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lol yeah by the look of it, Simon is updating his theme from 'the cycle goes on' to 'poo poo just gets worse.'

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Catching up on the last year’s posts. Showing my gal the show, finishing S2.

Some notes: a dock worker had a South Park shirt that has Kenny decapitated and “they killed” or so visible on the shirt. Maybe incidental, maybe intentional. But a nice note.

Also, just thinking about Spiros’ “My name is not my name” vs Marlo’s “My name is my name!” That disconnect from identity that allows Spiros to move around and evade the law. Not unlike an actual corporation that is multi-National and can pick up and leave whenever.

I’m sure we covered some of this stuff but that was soooooo long ago.

What a good loving show.

Oh and Bunk’s “I’m just a humble motherfucker with a big rear end dick” sometime in the first season I think. Woody Harrelson’s character uses that line at one point in the first season of True Detective. Real police, true detectives.

Again, lots of just little details or complements to those details. I love The Wire. I’ve watched it a dozen+ times probably. Easily at double digits though.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Still waiting for a Chris and Wee Bey spin off.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Still waiting for a Chris and Wee Bey spin off.

I'd like a Bodie / Poot spin off like was discussed up thread

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Something that stuck with me... wow, from an Event Horizon review that's more than a decade old:

If you can't explain your ideas to an average layman, then you can't really lecture students and (more importantly) you can't convince anyone to give you money for your research. Parenti is a huge ivory-tower-elitist stereotype, and he's kind of out of place in a show that generally tries to deconstruct these sort of cliches.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 29, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

About halfway through my first watch of season 5 and watching Tommy Carcetti eat poo poo and hate his life makes up for him being an irritating prick throughout this series.

Cross-posting from the couch chat thread and based upon the opinion of posters there, I've been skipping through all of the Newsroom scenes since episode 2.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Eh, I wouldn't. They're the weakest part of the season certainly but they're still a big part of the show and the throughline of the season.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Eh, I wouldn't. They're the weakest part of the season certainly but they're still a big part of the show and the throughline of the season.

Same; they're the low point of the show but I can't recommend skipping them entirely, that'll leave big gaps in the plot. The lowest point of a great show is still pretty good really, just not up to the standards of the rest of it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Bosch, season 7 has a nice tie into The Wire

The gang detective Det's Bosch and Edgar talk with refers to a crime boss as a female Stringer Bell. They even have her throwing a burner phone out of a car.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Cross-posting from the couch chat thread and based upon the opinion of posters there, I've been skipping through all of the Newsroom scenes since episode 2.

LOL this is really silly, who would do this?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Also the newsroom arc directly intersects with the bubbles arc

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, watch it all, "All the pieces matter" as they say, plus even though it is the weakest part of the weakest season, viewing that is part of the overall experience.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Syrian Lannister posted:

The gang detective Det's Bosch and Edgar talk with refers to a crime boss as a female Stringer Bell. They even have her throwing a burner phone out of a car.

That was classic.
He binge watches the wire. :)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Human Tornada posted:

LOL this is really silly, who would do this?

It went kind of like this:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does anything in season 5 of The Wire involving the newsroom amount to anything other than a reboot of All The President's Men?

I love this show but if it doesn't, I'm tempted to just fast-forward through those scenes.

Also, I still love Snoop.

Escobarbarian posted:

David Simon has grudges from his time as a reporter and that’s basically it

Matt Zerella posted:

All the interesting stuff in season 5 is outside of the cops/newsroom. You can skip it.

And galvanize your hate for Herc.

I tend to disagree about skipping the cop stuff. To each their own otherwise; I feel like I could get the newsroom cliff notes from episode summaries. :shrug:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The newspaper stuff still has its good moments including a couple with Jimmy. Plus just watch them, it's only a portion of a shortened season and it's what the creators intended. If you're that pressed for time you probably shouldn't be watching five seasons of a 20 year old TV show in the first place.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Watch however you like, but I think it's all worth watching. :shrug:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Syrian Lannister posted:

This was such a loving dad joke.

Which is absolutely their audience, but still a bit eye opening.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

The newspaper stuff still has its good moments including a couple with Jimmy. Plus just watch them, it's only a portion of a shortened season and it's what the creators intended. If you're that pressed for time you probably shouldn't be watching five seasons of a 20 year old TV show in the first place.

I just watched Jimmy in the bar with the two reporters feeding them his bullshit homeless murderer story, so that's getting a bit more interesting.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I was not expecting the Omar story to end as it did and I was hoping there was going to be some sort of final showdown.

I just got to that part on my first watch myself and had to back up to make sure it was him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’m on season 2 of my rewatch, but I can’t remember if they ever explained Stringers red car from season 1. He takes a taxi to it parked in a nice neighborhood and drives to college when McNulty follows him. What was going on there.