Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

feel like i'm in a star wars thread seeing a bunch of posters say "can't wait until they reveal who that darth vader guy is."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The scene: A vast and foreboding castle dominates the area. Inside, an elderly Hero looks upon his metal slime and whispers "Rosebud" with his dying breath.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

boss rush right before zoma that completely drained my party. brutal. have to come back with 99 herbs to make it to this guy at full strength.

judging by how every other big fight goes he'll probably wipe me anyway lol. also the trolls that spam blasto trying to delete one of your party members are gigantic cocksuckers

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

anyone ever play kartia: the word of fate? parish mentions it in the final fantasy legend episode of retronauts and it sounds fuckin sick

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

zoma himself is really hard if my memory serves

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I didn't really think to do this until my latest playthrough but when you have the change staff you can turn yourself into a hobbit and buy wizard rings from the elves. I think at higher levels there's a spell that does the same thing

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I"ve reached the point in Morrowind where I'm just buying books, and reading them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

re:coded is cool it's only the 3rd spin-off and theyre reusing so many parts of KH it's become an ouroboros of content that cannot be stopped. You will replay every level from KH1 again, with cubes, and then you'll do it in a slightly remixed version 5 times in the final level for Lore purposes, then as a reward you get to play them all again, but this time, everyone has lost their memories and the color palette is slightly different.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

re:coded is cool it's only the 3rd spin-off and theyre reusing so many parts of KH it's become an ouroboros of content that cannot be stopped. You will replay every level from KH1 again, with cubes, and then you'll do it in a slightly remixed version 5 times in the final level for Lore purposes, then as a reward you get to play them all again, but this time, everyone has lost their memories and the color palette is slightly different.

i remember getting 358/2 on ds and having to play missions on the agrabah stage like 20 times in a row and just turning it off and never playing it again

i was a fool

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

I didn't really think to do this until my latest playthrough but when you have the change staff you can turn yourself into a hobbit and buy wizard rings from the elves. I think at higher levels there's a spell that does the same thing

there is, it's a wizard spell. i don't think it has any other uses, lol

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

extremebuff posted:

boss rush right before zoma that completely drained my party. brutal. have to come back with 99 herbs to make it to this guy at full strength.

judging by how every other big fight goes he'll probably wipe me anyway lol. also the trolls that spam blasto trying to delete one of your party members are gigantic cocksuckers

There's an item in the castle that restores HP while walking (auroral armor does this too) and also no random encounters in the boss room. Tedious but possibly less so than loving with herbs.

Zoma's not much harder than Baramos imo.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah iirc I had a harder time with the boss rush before Zoma than with the man himself

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i remember losing to zoma but not to the boss rush dudes, but it's been a long time since i actually did Zoma's Castle, admittedly.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zoma deez nuts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The King of Aliahan: Ah, you've completed your quest to defeat Baramos. Before I record your deeds in the Imperial Scrolls of Honor, can I *snicker* interest you in (hee hee) Zoma?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

i remember losing to zoma but not to the boss rush dudes, but it's been a long time since i actually did Zoma's Castle, admittedly.

I looked it up and I think I was actually thinking of Dragon Quest 4, where one of the boss rush enemies before the final boss was a super powered Hellion that took me out a few times. But apparently hellions weren’t introduced in the series until 4. I played 1-4 pretty much back to back so they’ve all merged into one super-game in my memory.

Now that I remember that we’re talking about Bones, Soul etc I think Zoma is a little harder than those guys but not all that much, if you can beat the boss rush you can beat him

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Zoma deez nuts.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Zoma deez nuts.

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

dq4 chapter 5 definitely feels like the number one thing from the NES games that was probably improved in any updated versions. i've gotta go on a dragon quest when i'm done with all the yakuza games.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
i want to play saga frontier remaster right now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've never played DQ3 actually. What's the best version, SNES?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

gbc has more content and a minigame they cut from the mobile version, but mobile version is on switch and is the easiest to get

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hizke posted:

i want to play saga frontier remaster right now.

big This. i'm so stoked

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Zoma deez nuts.

lol

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Pablo Nergigante posted:

SNES is the best looking.
GBC has an extra post game dungeon but it requires nutso levels of grinding to finish (every monster in the game drops bronze, silver and gold medals and you need to collect ALL of them).
Mobile/Switch removed pacheesi if you care about that, I personally didn't miss it.

Everything after the NES release has the item bag.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

cutting pacheesi is a criminal act and the vandals who made the otherwise very good switch port deserve to be struck with reeds for it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

cutting pacheesi is a criminal act and the vandals who made the otherwise very good switch port deserve to be struck with reeds for it

extremely this. feed them to the orochi.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i remember getting 358/2 on ds and having to play missions on the agrabah stage like 20 times in a row and just turning it off and never playing it again

i was a fool

nervous sweaty laughter at this post revealing that 358/2 also has an agrabah level and is most likely, replaying KH1 again. Can't wait to see it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

there's a boss in recoded, 1st phase is Dark Sora, the 2nd phase is just fighting 3 copies of the boss at the same time, and the third and final phase, is that again. Sora's heart is weighted so heavily with reused Content that he battles his own clone multiple times in a row without change. he needs help

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Gbc and SNES are basically the same, gba isn't as high fidelity but is still charming, and I think the soundtrack sounds better on gameboy. The bonus stuff in gbc is for true psychos only.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the snes version is beautiful, but theres no official eng translation so you might have a rough time w that. the fan patch is solid but weird at times

also, the switch version has most definitely Changed The Numbers. like you get way better stats per level and the encounter rate is less insane. I remember on snes mages wouldnt have any real mp until later so they were loving useless, on switch they break 100mp really early and can actually cast their spells lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the SNES english fan translation basically used to live on all those weird flash emulation sites, which is kind of funny considering what kind of a game it is and how much all of those sites were "RIP your save when this site goes down in a week, probably." i wish they'd just release an official port somewhere.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mobile/Switch version has a contemporary localization, if you like that.

SNES, GBC, mobile, and Switch all use modern numbers that make it easier than the NES version. In fact, all modern versions are based on the SNES release.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Mobile/Switch version has a contemporary localization, if you like that.

SNES, GBC, mobile, and Switch all use modern numbers that make it easier than the NES version. In fact, all modern versions are based on the SNES release.

if this is true then maybe I just got a bad personality lol, definitely don't want a meathead priest

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I"ve reached the point in Morrowind where I'm just buying books, and reading them.
Reading the book about Nords and getting sad that Skyrim wasn't as cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

oh my god i killed everything up to zoma and left to recover and came back. the boss rush respawns. i want to die

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

oh my god i killed everything up to zoma and left to recover and came back. the boss rush respawns. i want to die

it does? i dont remember this happening to me

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

it does? i dont remember this happening to me

yeah it ended up not being a big deal though, i leveled a bit more and coasted through them lol

the fight with zoma was loving awesome, it came down to my sage and priest at 0MP hitting their heal items. zoma double taps my fighter and kills her, the next turn it was either risk it all on a zing with the last bit of hero's MP or have everyone attack and pray it would be enough. desperately looking thru inventories and I found the single yggdrisil leaf in the game sitting there forgotten in my priest's bag. popped it on the fighter, had my sage do a final oomph on him before she and my priest got blasted in a double ice breath. hero and fighter scored a double crit and killed his rear end. i loving screamed and shot my arms up in the air which really hurt cause i just got the vax. dragonquest owns

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

extremebuff posted:

yeah it ended up not being a big deal though, i leveled a bit more and coasted through them lol

the fight with zoma was loving awesome, it came down to my sage and priest at 0MP hitting their heal items. zoma double taps my fighter and kills her, the next turn it was either risk it all on a zing with the last bit of hero's MP or have everyone attack and pray it would be enough. desperately looking thru inventories and I found the single yggdrisil leaf in the game sitting there forgotten in my priest's bag. popped it on the fighter, had my sage do a final oomph on him before she and my priest got blasted in a double ice breath. hero and fighter scored a double crit and killed his rear end. i loving screamed and shot my arms up in the air which really hurt cause i just got the vax. dragonquest owns

Congratulations, hero

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

extremebuff posted:

Extremely sick. Congrats dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Gbc and SNES are basically the same, gba isn't as high fidelity but is still charming, and I think the soundtrack sounds better on gameboy. The bonus stuff in gbc is for true psychos only.

i just looked it up.

on the gbc version you need to grind every single enemy in the game until they drop their medals, which takes as long as beating dq3 10 times over, to enter a second bonus dungeon. it has largely the same monsters. your reward is a slightly harder superboss that drops a kazap-casting ultimate sword, and a I'm loving Crazy certificate