Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They are a pain to grind rep with yeah, your best bet might be hoping they get into a war with the xenon in the north and selling their shipyard a bunch of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zereth posted:

Is there a good way to get rep with the Ministry of Finance by the way

They have very, very few stations so there's not much in the way of random missions to do or anything

I just set a a ship on repeat orders selling advanced composites to their warf and shipyard.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Last I saw there was a Xenon I in, uh, bright Promise

unfortunately i noticed this becuase it took out the trader I'd assigned to "buy whatever the Ministry shipyard needs" :mad:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you blow up that I near their stations it will make them quite happy :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If I understand correctly, once I get a ministry police license i'll get credit for blowing up criminals and such anywhere in teladi space, but that's some ways away since i need, like... 11 points of rep for that since I annoyed them with the license for the space the PHQ was supposed to have vanishing and all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought the regular teladi company sold the police license?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MIN doesn't own any sectors so a police license would be pretty worthless from them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When I make the Yaki a normal faction through xenon clearing, will they wage war with anyone or are they just going to mill around and act like the SCA?

Also lol HAT and ANT have been taking sectors somehow, I'm glad I claimed the Nop sector before people moved in

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I thought the regular teladi company sold the police license?
Nope. I thought that was weird until I looked in the encyclopedia to find out what the Ministry was and that they are basically the teladi police.

EDIT: Also i'm not sure why they're a separate faction. the Argon, paranid, etc don't have separate The Police factions.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Zereth posted:

Nope. I thought that was weird until I looked in the encyclopedia to find out what the Ministry was and that they are basically the teladi police.

EDIT: Also i'm not sure why they're a separate faction. the Argon, paranid, etc don't have separate The Police factions.

They do splinters though. It’s just that the Teladi splinter is fully integrated for some reason.

Argon have Antigone.
Paranid and Holy Order.
Patriarchy and FRF
Terrans and Pioneers.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

When I make the Yaki a normal faction through xenon clearing, will they wage war with anyone or are they just going to mill around and act like the SCA?

They don't really change after clearing out the Xenon. They don't act like the SCA though, and as far as I could tell they only attack the factions which are listed as their enemies. Which are iirc only the Terran and Segaris. They don't take any sectors of their own, and only have 2 types of ships - but still manage to hold their own against Terran destroyers.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think the MIN has police authority over the Teladi sectors, and the Argon have police authority over Antigon space (whenever I enter the Void from Getsu Fune, I get told I have items in my inventory that are illegal to the Argon Federation, not the Antigone Republic).

I am curious how hard it would be to mod in a custom Terran splinter faction. Not for any real reason; just for funsies, to do it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think the MIN has police authority over the Teladi sectors, and the Argon have police authority over Antigon space (whenever I enter the Void from Getsu Fune, I get told I have items in my inventory that are illegal to the Argon Federation, not the Antigone Republic).

I am curious how hard it would be to mod in a custom Terran splinter faction. Not for any real reason; just for funsies, to do it.
... The Pioneers? I've been buying all my terran ships from them, anyway, since i'm still in negatives with the Terran faciton itself.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

No, I mean a third one. A custom one. Uses Terran stations and such, but just new systems, new faction, etc.

Just for fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What do you mean it's a one way trip to Savage Spur 1 from 2? gently caress you!!!

e: No you stupid fighters, stay docked, and wait, like the command says, jesus christ. It's very dumb you can't have something set to a fleet AND tell them to stay docked. It overrides the docking ship AND the ship to be docked at's orders

I now have a fleet of 1 Syn, 1 Rattlesnake, 2 Falx, 2 Jians, my Katana, 5 Kukris desperate to die, and a Cobra to march across the galaxy and get murdered by Xenon lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 13, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does the carrier have a button in its loadout tab that lets you set whether its squads are launched or recalled? Stations do though I haven't fiddled with it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

Does the carrier have a button in its loadout tab that lets you set whether its squads are launched or recalled? Stations do though I haven't fiddled with it.

Yep, apparently the issue is the game interpreted the command "come here, assign to this ship, dock" as "come here, dock, assign, dock, undock, dock (???)" so they kept rotating out until I told them to knock it off for good lol

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I've come to the conclusion that fighters in a fleet (in the entire game really) are absolutely worthless. A few M class ships for chasing things down then nothing but destroyers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao I just realized my destroyers are faster than my support Falx and Jians

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

I've come to the conclusion that fighters in a fleet (in the entire game really) are absolutely worthless. A few M class ships for chasing things down then nothing but destroyers.

A few patch ago I had good success using Colossus full of Eclipse but now the fighters they just seem to get murdered

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I thought OOS fighter squadrons were a pretty competitive Destroyer swatter because having more entities than turrets short circuits the battle calcs. Maybe that's been tweaked lately.

Not really gonna beat destroyer bait while you drive another destroyer behind them to personally ram one up their tail pipes, but what can?

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
At the cost of 11 brave marines I have captured my first L Ship (SCA Phoenix Sentinel). I flew a Katana and did most of the ship-disabling in that. A Falx carried the marines.

Anyone use normal trade ships to carry marines? I've been thinking of using Baldrics because they are a lot cheaper...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I took down the amplifier while a K destroyer was bearing down on my fleet lol, I only lost a Falx on the way there, a Falx actually there (Yaki corvettes are insane lmao) and a Jian because the ai is suicidally stupid and thought "flee through superhighway" was "go the opposite direction and Independence Day the Xenon Destroyer"

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Xan posted:

At the cost of 11 brave marines I have captured my first L Ship (SCA Phoenix Sentinel). I flew a Katana and did most of the ship-disabling in that. A Falx carried the marines.

Anyone use normal trade ships to carry marines? I've been thinking of using Baldrics because they are a lot cheaper...

Yes, use traders to haul your marines on the cheap to jumpstart your career as a privateer. 3 Demeters will hold enough marines to max out your boarding party on any SCA destroyer, and they'll do it fairly cheap. They're about 1.5 mil a piece if you're sensible and don't get mk3 maneuvering thrusters.They're fragile though if they get jumped by a random Xenon or Khaak scout. After selling off the first captured destroyer or two I'll replace the Demeters with a Buffalo which can carry enough marines by itself and is practically a warship anyway.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

madfury posted:

Rattlesnakes hit hard and are usually full of marines. So you would need a Raptor or another Rattlesnake to cap one comfortably. Stick to Phoenixes and Behemoths. Kill engines first. Then hull to <80% and turrents from boarding side. Board, wait, transfer marines back, sell. If you dont have a destroyer or carrier of your own, then use corvette and 2 marine transports (about 40 marines are a safe number). Keep the first destoyer you cap, stick proper engines and pulse turrets on it, set all turrets to "Attack my target", set "Disarm turrets" shortcut and fill it with marines. Next target just use main guns to kill engines from behind, target turret surface elements and keep turning your turrets on and off. Use main guns to kill shields and hull and use turrets to defang. At least thats how I do it :)

Just captured my first Destroyer. It was a FAF rattlesnake. It was my first time using the boarding interface but I think I sent over ~50 marines and only 15 survived, but I got it. I sort of shortcut the advice you gave because I was already somewhat rich by the time I tried this. I had a maxed out Osaka as my ship. I had already used it to obliterate a rattlesnake earlier rather than capture it but the 2nd time I saw a FAF rattlesnake in Saturn I decided to try and capture it. Blew up its engines, then all of its turrets, took it down to 50% hull and sent the marines in. The only suspenful part was that, for the first time that I noticed, the local terran authorities decided to finally intervene and were shooting the poo poo out of it. I also had to re-blow up the engines. Ultimately I think I captured it with maybe 20% hull left. I was starting to get nervous.

~feels good~ though

Edit: Only 6 million though. Is the priced based on the state of the hull + weapons? Also learned an annoying lesson that you don't need to pilot the ship out there yourself so you don't need to assign your own captain. Thankfully the pilot I assigned was a mouth breather so I don't really care.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 14, 2021

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

timn posted:

Yes, use traders to haul your marines on the cheap to jumpstart your career as a privateer. 3 Demeters will hold enough marines to max out your boarding party on any SCA destroyer, and they'll do it fairly cheap. They're about 1.5 mil a piece if you're sensible and don't get mk3 maneuvering thrusters.They're fragile though if they get jumped by a random Xenon or Khaak scout. After selling off the first captured destroyer or two I'll replace the Demeters with a Buffalo which can carry enough marines by itself and is practically a warship anyway.

Thank you! I am sticking to Terran ships only this playthrough, so I tried getting 4 Baldrics as troopships and managed to capture a SCA Behemoth. My Katana did all the ship disabling again. Only lost 4 marines this time. This is a much more fun way to make some early game cash.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I've built my first wharf- so far just the dock (the containers and such are going up as I type as I let my factories grind out some passive cash for me)- and I hadn't realized that ships just will stop by, get repaired I presume, and fly away, leaving me with a small chunk of change. That it took no resources at all to repair.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Xan posted:

I was using Boas because they're hella fast and can carry 20 troops, fit them with Plasma turrets to assist with tougher targets - you need to watch them because they'll bounce off your intended, stripping their meagre shields and making them vulnerable to return fire from laser towers and turrets coming back online.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
In the boardings I’ve done, I’ve never seen a turret repaired. They always seem to prioritize engines, and I just sit behind the target and take those out as soon as soon as they come back.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I decided to see how the storyline (such as it is) progresses in the run-up to the new X3 expansion. Having already played X3 TC once, I decided to add one of those mega-mods, XRM.

It's actually pretty well done for the most part - some interesting new sectors, a bunch of new ships and corporations. The AI is a fair bit more aggressive, so it is no longer a rarity to see Xenon or Cock capitals attacking core sectors. This is balanced out for the most part by the races also having quite a bit more firepower. There's apparently a bunch of balance changes to weapons and ships, I honestly can't tell the difference.

The one big and good change is that there's an effective bounty system. This is great because its actually possible to make decent money in combat now. It feels good to take out a Xenon m6 that's been beasting freighters OOS for ages and get a nice big reward for it. Before, doing a combat oriented playthrough was pretty risky - if I did too much combat and neglected trading/factories, my combat rank would start spawning capitals in missions before I had the cash to outfit my own chonky boi ship.

Then there's the dumb part. For *realism* (I guess), docking computers and jumpdrives are now size XL and cost a cool 2 mil each. This is an utter pain in the arse, since it means the majority of the early game is spent slowly trundling around in SETA, and the cost of getting a UT or CAG up and running is basically doubled. It's still possible to build a trading empire but getting the ball rolling takes a long time.

It also makes the TP class totally redundant, since their only advantage was speed and they don't even have that without jump drives :v:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Does anybody know what happens to resources put back into build storage when disassembling parts of a station? Like if I do t build anything new do they just poof out of existence or do they just stay in build storage forever? Can I sell them off or will I have to manually transfer it all out?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They stay there. That's why you can rearrange a station after it's done building, you only pay a fee in time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah they go back into build storage and you can either make new modules out of them or load them onto ships and move them somewhere else.

It's a good system IMO.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Can anyone explain to me why when I'm choosing a loadout for a Terran defense platform why I don't have the option to pick any turrets? It shows me all of the various turret locations and compatibilities like a ship would but there aren't any options to pick from. Even shields don't have any choices.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Do you own turret and shield blueprints?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

Do you own turret and shield blueprints?

Goddamnit

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You need to own the blueprints to put them on a station I think. Ships, the wharf already owns the prints, so you have access to them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ice Fist posted:

Can anyone explain to me why when I'm choosing a loadout for a Terran defense platform why I don't have the option to pick any turrets? It shows me all of the various turret locations and compatibilities like a ship would but there aren't any options to pick from. Even shields don't have any choices.

You don't have the blueprints for any, you need to buy them separately; both M and L sizes

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Thanks everyone. Got it all sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Taerkar posted:

They stay there. That's why you can rearrange a station after it's done building, you only pay a fee in time.
You can what

Well I guess I should see if I can rearrange my hull parts factory and fit in an L ship dock