Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
If you really want to get on the next level they make these things for drinking in the bath, you can let some bathwater into it to keep the bottle warm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Cold sake is better.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I think its more that serving sake warm/hot masks some of the worst qualities of cheap sake and that's generally what you're going to get in the US if you order warm sake.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

If you’re buying nicer sake I think it’s way better cold. Heating sake is like super chilling white wine- it’ll make something that’s ehhh better to drink

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
...everyone is trolling about hot sake being better. Cold sake tastes of the heavens. Delicious, properly chilled sake is a cloud made of flavor. Hot sake tastes exactly like drinking bathwater. Why would you like that? How is that making it better?

Oh no...is this yet another thing I have wrong about drinking booze? Cause I think Jameson is delicious and I frequently get yelled at for that too.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Hot sake is mostly a thing in Japan because the buildings are all poorly insulated and drafty af, at least that's my guess. They do the same with shochu, cutting it with hot water when it's cold out.

I also tend to prefer cold or room temperature.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I think its more that serving sake warm/hot masks some of the worst qualities of cheap sake and that's generally what you're going to get in the US if you order warm sake.

That’s backwards from all other liquors and food. Normally you can’t taste things if they’re cold, but warm you can.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Well it sounds like we all agree that hot sake isn't that great. Drink it if you want but it's a waste of the good stuff. I suspect that cheapo sushi places serve it hot because American rubes think that's the True Nippon Way and it lets them get away with serving cheap poo poo.

Chemmy posted:

That's backwards from all other liquors and food. Normally you can't taste things if they're cold, but warm you can.

This is bizarre. Have you ever had a pasta salad in your life? Or like, deviled eggs?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
"can't taste" is a bit of a stretch but it's very much a known phenomenon that cold temperatures inhibit flavour release

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Well, sure, but no one was saying that you have to drink sake ice cold either. Saying that "all other liquors (sake isn't liquor fwiw) and food" work like that is a weird assertion to make.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, finally did it. I took about 15 unused Hello Fresh spice packets and combined them into a big blend of random spices that I've labeled HF Madness. At some point this week, I'm going to spin the wheel of flavor and see what I get.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

prayer group posted:

(sake isn't liquor fwiw)

It’s a sandwich

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

paging casu

THE SECRET RESISTANCE BEHIND THE WORLD’S MOST DANGEROUS CHEESE
https://theoutline.com/post/8843/casu-marzu-cheese-sardinia-illegal-dangerous

https://i.imgur.com/CuqVo8J.mp4

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I like hot sake but it routinely gets to -40C here in the winter so anything warm is welcome. Cold sake is fine in the warm times, I'll even get the pretty pink bottle with sakura on it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:snoop:

also that gif is amazin

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Drink and Fight posted:

Cold sake is better.

I will fight u

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

pr0k posted:

I will fight u

not if i fite u first

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm triggered.

My wife asks me to make carbonara. I make carbonara.

It turns out, if I may be so bold, great. Pasta has great bite, perfectly seasoned, sauce has a great consistency.

Serve to loving wife, whom I love.

"Where's the cream? Honey you are just not good at making pasta."

I do not have a drop of Italian blood. But, out of respect, I told her that all opinions are valid, HOWEVER, she is bad at eating pasta; I am not bad at making it. Also if she wants pasta with cream sauce she should ask for pasta with cream sauce.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 13, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Needs peas

looks tasty af

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm triggered.

It turns out, if I may be so bold, great. Pasta has great bite, perfectly seasoned, sauce has a great consistency.

I do not have a drop of Italian blood. But, out of respect, I told her that all opinions are valid, HOWEVER, she is bad at eating pasta; I am not bad at making it. Also if she wants pasta with cream sauce she should ask for pasta with cream sauce.

lmao that looks great. that’s a ballsy statement from your wife considering you just made her a plate of food.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anyone want to guess what I'm cooking?

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

black olive consomme

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm triggered.

Did you guys just get married? Is there like a trial period where you can still get it annulled or something?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Anyone want to guess what I'm cooking?

Black rice! Never seen water do that before - black and opaque, like ink.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

lmao that looks great. that’s a ballsy statement from your wife considering you just made her a plate of food.

We've been married for drat near 6 years now. She's generally very complimentary about my food but she's Korean and has bad opinions about Italian and Italian adjacent food. I think next time she makes Korean food I'm a complain about her not adding, like, siracha or something. :colbert:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

We've been married for drat near 6 years now. She's generally very complimentary about my food but she's Korean and has bad opinions about Italian and Italian adjacent food. I think next time she makes Korean food I'm a complain about her not adding, like, siracha or something. :colbert:

loool :discourse:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Did you make it with real guanciale? It looks fantastic.

e: does she like focaccia? I've never met anyone who didn't and it's Italian adjacent.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Eifert Posting posted:

I think next time she makes Korean food I'm a complain about her not adding, like, siracha or something. :colbert:

lol

*edit*
I'm in Japan and, while there are some amazing Italian restaurants, the poo poo a lot of the run of the mill places pull on Italian food is criminal.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 14, 2021

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm triggered.

your wife is banned from pasta

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Stringent posted:

I'm in Japan and, while there are some amazing Italian restaurants, the poo poo a lot of the run of the mill places pull on Italian food is criminal.

I think that describes Italian restaurants everywhere, including (maybe even especially) Italy. The amount of tourist trap garbage in the big Italian tourism cities is staggering.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I have had both the best and the worst Italian food in my life in Rome.
Sometimes on the same day.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

not even necessarily tourist traps. just because it’s italy doesn’t mean the restaurants are automatically always good. i’ve definitely had bad pasta and coffee in rome, in very much not tourist trap restaurants. the pizza was not bad but not amazing at most places too.

the good stuff can be very good though.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New name who dis.
I felt weird about being Manuel after... nearly two years of HRT. So, sup. I am craving gyro.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
congrats on the name change!

now I am also craving gyro.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mercedes Colomar posted:

New name who dis.
I felt weird about being Manuel after... nearly two years of HRT. So, sup. I am craving gyro.

:toot: congrats!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Mercedes Colomar posted:

New name who dis.

:woop: congrats! :toot:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Sandwich Scandal at the Heart of the World’s Greatest Golfing Event

:lol: I love people being super petty over recipes

quote:

The greatest event in sports history is missing a vital recipe: that of its original pimento cheese sandwich.

The problem began more than 20 years ago, when the Masters chose not to renew the contract for the tournament’s longtime pimento cheese vendor, Nick Rangos. Afterward, the caterer refused to share his private recipe, taking its secret to his grave in 2015. Although Ted Godfrey, Rangos’s replacement, worked tirelessly to approximate the original masterpiece, he also withheld his recipe after the Masters replaced him with in-house catering in 2013.

According to Godfrey, his quest to recreate Rangos’s original took months. “I can’t tell you how many 35-dollar cases of cheese we’d been through,” he told ESPN. After countless attempts failed to satisfy the concessions committee, a tournament worker stepped forward with a frozen batch of Rangos’s original pimento spread.

Then in 2013, the Masters changed course a third time, taking all concessions in-house—again, for reasons we cannot confirm. And again, the embittered pimento czar withheld the recipe from the Masters.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i'm generally against recipe hoarding (especially because most of the time your "grandma's secret recipe" is off the bag of white lily) but i 100% support it in this instance

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mercedes Colomar posted:

New name who dis.

Excellent name choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm triggered.

Enhance 224 to 176. Enhance, stop. Move in, stop.

Pull out, track right, stop. Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop. Enhance 34 to 36

Pan right and pull back. Stop. Enhance 34 to 46. Pull back. Wait a minute, go right, stop. Enhance 57 to 19. Track 45 left. Stop. Enhance 15 to 23.

Give me a hard copy right there.