Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I see no sandwiches there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Italians using tomatoes isn't cultural appropriation or a problem. The problem is that Italians act as if anyone else using tomatoes is cultural appropriation and a problem, as if God himself on the 5th day planted San Marzano tomatoes on the ashy slopes of Mount Vesivius and that any other tomato used for any other purpose is a sign of tragic historical decline.

I can assure you no Italian thinks that way. Maybe Italian-Americans but those people shouldn't be considered.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

drrockso20 posted:

(I'm still of the opinion that canned green beans taste like how formaldehyde smells)
Besides tomatoes and beans (by which I mean the other beans, black, kidney, red, etc.) I'm not sure any single vegetable piled into a can is worth a drat. Maybe loose corn?

Oh right, water chestnuts and baby corn~

FFT has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Apr 14, 2021

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

Kaviar is great

Nope.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I am willing to die on kaviar hill :sweden:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

Besides tomatoes and beans (by which I mean the other beans, black, kidney, red, etc.) I'm not sure any single vegetable piled into a can is worth a drat. Maybe loose corn?

I was trying to think of some but I think you're more or less right

Canned lentils suck, they don't take long to cook from raw anyway

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

I am willing to die on kaviar hill :sweden:

You probably will once you smell your own breath.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is kaviar like krab in that it is legally distinct from the thing it sounds like?

FFT posted:

babby carrots

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Water chestnuts are not good. In fact they are bad.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

OwlFancier posted:

Is kaviar like krab in that it is legally distinct from the thing it sounds like?

babby carrots

Where are you getting canned carrots?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

FFT posted:

Canned beets are pretty good, so is cabbage in sauerkraut form.

I might be alone in thinking that about beets, based in the fact that when we were rationing food to like 1500 cal/day I could still get a literal entire plate of beets.

E: canned olives too, and if you hate canned green beans, try wax beans, they're even worse.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Elviscat posted:

Canned beets are pretty good, so is cabbage in sauerkraut form.

I might be alone in thinking that about beets, based in the fact that when we were rationing food to like 1500 cal/day I could still get a literal entire plate of beets.

E: canned olives too, and if you hate canned green beans, try wax beans, they're even worse.

You are not alone; I have sat down and eaten an entire can of sliced pickled beets at a sitting on many occasions.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Ima go gently caress over a big rear end can of beets now, thanks thread

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Where are you getting canned carrots?

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/259453337

They're not uncommon in the UK?

Very soft so no good if you like crunchy carrot but I like soft carrot so I'd eat em.

E: you can even get carrots and peas in a jar apparently.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/259453182

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Apr 14, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

these are really good served cold in/as some sort of salad.

the name sounds like a French person saying "le sewer" and it means sweat

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

lmfao

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FFT posted:

I'm the disgusting one who could just slam cans of salt-infused black olives back like they were snacks.

That said, water chestnuts and minicorns are absolutely the two vegetables that are completely and utterly unchanged by the canning process. Whether or not they're "worthwhile" depends entirely on your opinion of them, and as this thread has shown, opinions of those two foods is already violently divisive.

If Michael was the kind of Italians this thread was just discussing, he would have thrown a right hook as soon as you suggest gravy on pasta.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
can you even get water chestnuts that aren't in a can? maybe at an Asian market? i don't even know what an unprocessed water chestnut looks like.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The GOP Delusion
Sep 10, 2010

The security of Israel is a moral imperative for all free peoples.

uber_stoat posted:

can you even get water chestnuts that aren't in a can? maybe at an Asian market? i don't even know what an unprocessed water chestnut looks like.

They have glossy black skins and Asian markets will usually have them in a basket with a scooper. Peeling them is a pita so I usually get them canned even when fresh is available.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KataraniSword posted:

If Michael was the kind of Italians this thread was just discussing, he would have thrown a right hook as soon as you suggest gravy on pasta.

"Gravy" is a New York area term for Italian-American tomato sauce. https://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2014/04/sunday-gravy/

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

OwlFancier posted:

France or something raised a stink about it when Sweden joined the EU, but we still get to call our fish roe paste kaviar with a k.

It’s got smoked and salted cod roe, but also potatoes, sugar, tomato paste and seasonings.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grand Fromage posted:

"Gravy" is a New York area term for Italian-American tomato sauce. https://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2014/04/sunday-gravy/

Huh! Today I learned.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/ChristinaMcMc/status/1382390331312799746

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
eyyyy can i get some macaroni and gravy

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

I asked for "beige for goons" and my partner delivered:

Bonus points if you can guess everything.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Polyseme posted:

Bonus points if you can guess everything.

Fish, brown rice, and loving worms

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Quinoa and whitefish and... cheddar?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quinoa just looks so fuckin weird up close

Like a microscope photo of blood cells or something

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
quinoa and sardines served in a freshly used ez-mac container

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Quinoa tastes like dirt.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

yeah, it has those ridges on the sides of it, i prefer to not look too close. anyway quinoa is the only thing i can definitively ID.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Data Graham posted:

Tiny rolled up condoms.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I do not like quinoa

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Iron Crowned posted:

I do not like quinoa

yeah, you LOVE it. can't get enough of those microscopic little condoms

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

The Bloop posted:

Fish, brown rice, and loving worms

Incorrect, but he loved your post.

edit:Quinoa, Fish, soy-ramen packet, and sriracha-mayo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

KataraniSword posted:

I'm the disgusting one who could just slam cans of salt-infused black olives back like they were snacks.

That said, water chestnuts and minicorns are absolutely the two vegetables that are completely and utterly unchanged by the canning process. Whether or not they're "worthwhile" depends entirely on your opinion of them, and as this thread has shown, opinions of those two foods is already violently divisive.

By "gravy" they mean the stereotypical tomato and meat based "Sunday Sauce" as it sometimes gets called a gravy instead of sauce for some reason

Grand Fromage posted:

Yup

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

A discussion earlier in this thread has directly led to my now having an olive loaf in the oven.

Flour, salt, yeast, water, and an entire can of chopped black olives. :getin:

If this turns out, I will be one step closer to winning the Badass Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Between this and surströmming can we just take away Sweden's fish privileges? Meatballs only from now on out.

Did you forget about the horse meat incident?