Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Perry will make it in but whether it takes him 3 years or 30, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Flyers should quit hockey, it's too exhausting

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
https://twitter.com/Sportsnet650/status/1382111499657871361?s=20

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Furnaceface posted:

He has 39 against both of these teams.

e https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/o/ovechal01/splits/ sort by goals

looks like he could realistically add 5 more franchises to his list and pass Esposito for the record before he retires, with 35+ career goals against Florida/NYR/Pittsburgh/Buffalo/NJ. 30+ against Ottawa and Montreal too

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

looks like he could realistically add 5 more franchises to his list and pass Esposito for the record before he retires, with 35+ career goals against Florida/NYR/Pittsburgh/Buffalo/NJ. 30+ against Ottawa and Montreal too

He is going to spend the end of his career playing for a single season on each one of those teams and then retire with them all at 39.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Corey Perry and Taylor Hall have to be serious HHOF considerations because aside from Jose Theodore and a couple guys from the 50s they'd be the only Hart trophy winners not in the hall. Just one of the many reasons it was so incredibly stupid they won and why it shouldn't be an award for good players on mediocre teams that make the playoffs.
Similarly, it's hard to say how much effect the Hart trophy has on making the Hall. It should be a legitimate boost but from the 60's to the 90's every guy who won it was the most obvious of obvious inductions, almost all of whom won it multiple times. Rollins and Theodore really stick out among winners.

For borderline guys who needed their MVP to get in, maybe Lindros? He still had to wait and he definitely seems like a tier above Perry.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Yeah, because when your team wins one playoff round in 6 years (soon to be 7) you need to lock up that GM for a long, long time.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

grack posted:

Yeah, because when your team wins one playoff round in 6 years (soon to be 7) you need to lock up that GM for a long, long time.

Just gotta keep him on for 3 more years so he can overtake Quinn

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Furnaceface posted:

He has 39 against both of these teams.

e https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/o/ovechal01/splits/ sort by goals

This led me to look up Kane's stats against Columbus since Sprague is always wishing he would stop playing in them and he has 71 points in 54 GP against the Jackets.

e2: Holy poo poo Crosby has 122 points against the Isles. I assumed the Flyers were who had the the most points against but that is only 110. :v:

Going into last night, Kane had 14 points in seven games this year.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

Corey Perry and Taylor Hall have to be serious HHOF considerations because aside from Jose Theodore and a couple guys from the 50s they'd be the only Hart trophy winners not in the hall. Just one of the many reasons it was so incredibly stupid they won and why it shouldn't be an award for good players on mediocre teams that make the playoffs.

Tay Tay is about to turn his career around in Boston and win a Stanley Cup, so it won't be an issue

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I just remembered that Andreas Athanasiou scored a goal and an assist in his first game after being traded from the Red Wings last year, then didn't get another point the rest of the year. Ominous...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Tay Tay is about to turn his career around in Boston and win a Stanley Cup, so it won't be an issue

The only thing Taylor Hall helps teams win is the first overall pick so congratulations on your impending losing streak to end the year to miss the playoffs?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This looks pretty much set for the playoffs, unless Boston goes on a losing streak and lets the Rangers sneak in at the last second. With Boston still having two games in hand, that seems doubtful though. The East is gonna be a bloodbath once the playoffs start and whomever emerges to round 3 is going to have the scars to prove it. There’s talk of a condensed first round that might have some back to backs, so having two starting quality goalies may be the key to advancing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/citchmook/status/1381947786883522560?s=21

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

There’s talk of a condensed first round that might have some back to backs, so having two starting quality goalies may be the key to advancing.

Wouldn’t a condensed first round put them further ahead of the North division? I’d hope they use that to catch up the divisions to nearly the same schedule with the disruption.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/RealGlenMacnow/status/1382333452943523844?s=19

They can't do anything right

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Time for Gritty to be traded to a better team.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I hate this team so much

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Strap in for a few years

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1382105215525122049?s=20

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Flyers are a dogshit garbage franchise but most hockey players are robots who are trained to shun the spotlight and we can’t assume that Lindbom would be comfortable with them using his illness that way

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can we start an athlete exchange program where hockey players spend six months with an NFL player so they can develop a personality? NBA players would be a good partner too.

Also I'd like to see an average NFL linesman on ice skates.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Cartoon Man posted:

This looks pretty much set for the playoffs, unless Boston goes on a losing streak and lets the Rangers sneak in at the last second. With Boston still having two games in hand, that seems doubtful though. The East is gonna be a bloodbath once the playoffs start and whomever emerges to round 3 is going to have the scars to prove it. There’s talk of a condensed first round that might have some back to backs, so having two starting quality goalies may be the key to advancing.

Boston has almost a third of their remaining games against Buffalo (5 of 16) plus two against the Devils. There are no free wins in the NHL obviously but on paper that should be a boost for them down the stretch. There's a mini series where they host the Rangers twice which might end up being big games if the Rangers can keep it up and the Bruins are just ok.

I figured the condensed rounds would likely only affect the Canadian teams so that they can catch up to wherever the American teams are at since they'll probably be starting later.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

xzzy posted:

Can we start an athlete exchange program where hockey players spend six months with an NFL player so they can develop a personality? NBA players would be a good partner too.

Also I'd like to see an average NFL linesman on ice skates.

sorry for your boring players I guess?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Jamwad Hilder posted:

tay can't even legally turn a boat around.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Cartoon Man posted:

Boston has 5 games remaining against Buffalo and then 2 against everyone else (3 against Isles) and have completed their season series against the Flyers. Missing for them would be exceptionally impressive. Rangers have 2 to 3 games left with everyone except Pittsburgh with that season series completed. Kind of a toss up with who has the 'easiest' schedule...I think Pittsburgh might. Only 4 games remaining against the other playoff teams. Then probably the Isles with 6 though less Buffalo games left so probably tied with Boston. Caps have 7 against the other top 3 in the div and the least games against Buffalo.

That said I'm not sure who I would want to play in the first round as it is. Caps upgraded and have decent scoring depth in a bunch of former Pens. Boston obviously added Hall to their top 6 and if that gives them even a modicum of scoring balance they are going to be good. Palmieri/Zajak are adds for the Isles, but I think that gets them close to where they were when fully healthy. The Pens....I have no idea what you're going to get. Some nights they put it all together and look like the team that went back to back. Other nights they get .800 goaltending and have zone breakdowns that would make you think of Philly or Buffalo. Even with full health I don't know what to make of the forward core. :shrug: anyone can win the div and it's really really hard to pick who survives.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Boston has 5 games remaining against Buffalo and then 2 against everyone else (3 against Isles) and have completed their season series against the Flyers. Missing for them would be exceptionally impressive. Rangers have 2 to 3 games left with everyone except Pittsburgh with that season series completed. Kind of a toss up with who has the 'easiest' schedule...I think Pittsburgh might. Only 4 games remaining against the other playoff teams. Then probably the Isles with 6 though less Buffalo games left so probably tied with Boston. Caps have 7 against the other top 3 in the div and the least games against Buffalo.

That said I'm not sure who I would want to play in the first round as it is. Caps upgraded and have decent scoring depth in a bunch of former Pens. Boston obviously added Hall to their top 6 and if that gives them even a modicum of scoring balance they are going to be good. Palmieri/Zajak are adds for the Isles, but I think that gets them close to where they were when fully healthy. The Pens....I have no idea what you're going to get. Some nights they put it all together and look like the team that went back to back. Other nights they get .800 goaltending and have zone breakdowns that would make you think of Philly or Buffalo. Even with full health I don't know what to make of the forward core. :shrug: anyone can win the div and it's really really hard to pick who survives.

Last two games of the season for the Rangers are Boston. Could be pretty interesting if the Rangers can keep picking up points, but Boston has to drop a few.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1382368070996484101

Excellent train wreck of a season Buffalo, real cherry on top of that whole poo poo sundae.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So that he'll be ready for next season with his new team, one presumes.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He should demand to be unprotected for the Seattle draft.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

So that he'll be ready for next season with his new team, one presumes.

Come to butthead.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/darrendreger/status/1382368640893353987?s=21

Hiring a billionaires son who only got his foot in the door due to nepotism should turn Buffalo around quickly

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eichel said gently caress it and left

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

ThinkTank posted:

Eichel said gently caress it and left

"yeah coach my uh, neck hurts, i can't come in today, or ever"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm pretty sure he's gone in the summer.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ben Bishop and Alexander Radulov are done for the season.

Ben Bishop played two(?) games in the bubble, then didn't play at all this season. Radulov is getting surgery, he's played a handful of games this season.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/darrendreger/status/1382368640893353987?s=21

Hiring a billionaires son who only got his foot in the door due to nepotism should turn Buffalo around quickly

I thought he turned out to actually be a decent executive but thats mostly from half-remembered articles about when the Penguins fired everyone.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1382370671443992581?s=20

Speculation has been rampant about Eichel injuries since he missed most of training camp with a generic UBI and then didn't look like himself most of the season. This neck injury looked like it was sustained in his last game of the season mar 7th against NYI. It would be nice to know if he had been nursing other injuries all season.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jack Eichel decided to return to his home planet.

Note: Jack Eichel died on his way back to his home planet.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Oh neat, early hockey. Coyotes-Wild starts in half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Completely unrelated but I was looking at the Capitals roster and saw Lars Eller is 31. I've been thinking of him as an old guy for years and he's the same fuckin age as me.