Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I would just like to point out that 27” 1080p monitor may seem crappy but it’s nice and big text and icons to boomers eyes, don’t immediately discount them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Reasonable points about boomer eyes. But they could also just scale fonts where needed with 1440p. I’ll have them look at a 1440p to see what they think before they jump in.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
My PC's having an issue reading my external USB drive. It doesn't show up by name, just as the drive letter, and any attempt to interact with it locks up Explorer - trying to open it, or even opening up Disk Management (which comes up blank) or CrystalDiskInfo (which just doesn't open). In Device Manager it does get recognized as a WD My Passport drive, though; I asked it to update the drivers but apparently those are up-to-date. I can't remove it safely because right-clicking on that icon doesn't even bring up a menu, so I've had to just pull the plug. I tried other USB ports as well as a new cable, but it's the same every time. This is my backup drive and though last week's backup was completed successfully it took twice as long as normal, so that was maybe a sign something was awry.

Dying drive? It's about 2.5 years old.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

pmchem posted:

My boomer parents need a new desktop PC to replace a very, very old Dell. The plan is to get them another Dell and a 27" screen to go with it. Use case is basically general web surfing and spreadsheets, plus some light photo/video archiving.

I could possibly kill two birds with one stone here by getting them a Dell "All-in-one" PC. For example,
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-27-7000-black-all-in-one-with-bipod-stand/spd/inspiron-27-7700-aio/na7700ejxlh
(not picking this particular model, but just linking for those who don't know what they are)

But, I've never bought/used an all-in-one PC before. I'm somewhat skeptical about having the screen be part of the PC, for repairability reasons. But I guess with the cost savings, they could get an extended warranty (heh).

Has anyone here bought or serviced a Dell All-in-one, and if so, what are your opinions on them?

edit: hmm apparently even the 27" AIO screens are only FHD (1080p), so, forget it
Consider a (refurb) SFF or MFF Optiplex. Pick one that isn't an anaemic dual core then chuck in a memory & SSD upgrade as required.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Glare Seethe posted:

Dying drive? It's about 2.5 years old.

Dying drive would be my guess, yeah. At least it should (hopefully) still be under warranty.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I assume the parents are fairly accustomed to windows. You can always strap a thin client to the back of a monitor as well, kind of a homebrew AIO without some of the inherent issues.

It depends though.. to some people, accustomed to windows means you have to show them the Chrome icon instead of the IE icon. Then you don't have to worry nearly as much about things breaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LRADIKAL posted:

It depends though.. to some people, accustomed to windows means you have to show them the Chrome icon instead of the IE icon. Then you don't have to worry nearly as much about things breaking.

Absolutely, all depends on the level of comfort, familiarity, and capability.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

Dying drive would be my guess, yeah. At least it should (hopefully) still be under warranty.

Thanks, I just dropped it off at the shop with the warranty and they'll take a look. Hopefully won't take too long to get it back, or a replacement. I guess they're formatting it as a first step and I've half a mind to just buy a new drive tomorrow so I'm not without a backup until they're done (and then at worst I've got two backup drives, which is fine or even ideal), but on the other hand I still have an old internal (from 16 months ago) and the older external and those should have 99% of the important stuff, so maybe I'll live dangerously and hope my SSD doesn't coincidentally die as well before I hear back.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Two backup drives - if your backup system supports it - is better than one. That way, if you have a catastrophic failure that kills your whole system during backup, you'll still have a slightly older backup which survived.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So I have an old HDD that in trying to get data off of

The drive spins when first connected, but after windows recognises it in Device manager it spins down and never shows up in file manager, I get an IO error when trying to initialise it in disk management too.

Is the drive proper hosed or is there anything I can do to fix this without shipping it to someone.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CyberPingu posted:

So I have an old HDD that in trying to get data off of

The drive spins when first connected, but after windows recognises it in Device manager it spins down and never shows up in file manager, I get an IO error when trying to initialise it in disk management too.

Is the drive proper hosed or is there anything I can do to fix this without shipping it to someone.

It's probably screwed up but it's hard to tell if it's the drive mechanism or controller board based on what it's doing. Was it in an external case you used the wrong power adapter on? If so there's probably a protection diode that's cooked that could be removed. Otherwise, it's hard to say definitively. Some folks buy the same drive and try to change the controller board but due to some of the chips on the board containing information about the drive's physical layout, it frequently doesn't work even if it's identical. If it's valuable enough to try this I'd consider sending it to data recovery since they'll do a better job of recovering whatever you lost.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Rexxed posted:

It's probably screwed up but it's hard to tell if it's the drive mechanism or controller board based on what it's doing. Was it in an external case you used the wrong power adapter on? If so there's probably a protection diode that's cooked that could be removed. Otherwise, it's hard to say definitively. Some folks buy the same drive and try to change the controller board but due to some of the chips on the board containing information about the drive's physical layout, it frequently doesn't work even if it's identical. If it's valuable enough to try this I'd consider sending it to data recovery since they'll do a better job of recovering whatever you lost.

It was an internal drive, it's a really old drive and really all that was on their was music. If there was a quick fix I'd try but not worth sending it off to someone for extortionate amounts of money tbh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there such a thing as a cheap, affordable IP KVM? I’m looking for a way to remotely access PC’s while they’re installing windows or Mac OS (so Remote Desktop software solutions are out of the question).

What I’m looking for is a KVM that has a web interface. All I need is a video feed, keyboard and mouse pass through and a way to switch between machines and to access all of that over the web.

Searching for IP KVM might not be the right thing because I’m seeing 32 port monsters that cost $2 grand that allow you to make the KVM-switch-to-PC wiring connection over Ethernet.

That’s not exactly what I’m looking for, all of the PCs I need to deal with can be right next to the KVM switch and won’t need to be extended over Ethernet.

As long as I can access those PC’s remotely over the internet, switch between them and get KB/M pass through, I’m good. I’m thinking 4 ports, 8 at the max.

Ideally something like DRAC would work, but I’m talking end-user machines that don’t have that tech.

Does something like that exist in the couple hundred dollar range? I need the Belkin of the ip kvm world, not the Cisco, lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
This popped up on craft computing a couple months ago, a pi based ip kvm

https://youtu.be/CyEpshm16HY

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh the dreaded YouTube face. But thank you I’ll check that out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Upon watching, that only takes one source in. If I want 4 sources, I have to buy 4 of them at $300 a crack.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Upon watching, that only takes one source in. If I want 4 sources, I have to buy 4 of them at $300 a crack.

Well, it's only about $100 in materials for one, but yeah

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh yeah I suppose if I go the diy route. I just went to their store and looked at the prebuilt model

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You connect it to a 4 device KVM with keyboard control.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But I couldn’t switch that kvm remotely on the web as far as I understand it

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

But I couldn’t switch that kvm remotely on the web as far as I understand it

If the KVM supports switching by keyboard it should work. Assuming it's a key sequence the TinyPilot can easily send.

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007
I finally got a job that pays. I want to replace my desktop and play un-optimized games like rimword with a bunch of mods or roguetech. My budget is say 2k. What should I buy?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

stoicheian posted:

I finally got a job that pays. I want to replace my desktop and play un-optimized games like rimword with a bunch of mods or roguetech. My budget is say 2k. What should I buy?

Probably a Ryzen 5600X (5800X is also in your budget but probably a bit overkill, though it is easier to find in stock) with a B550 motherboard and an appropriate amount of RAM for your needs (16 or 32 gigs, depending). Hold on to your current video card because the GPU market is very, very stupid right now.

Come on over to the PC building thread if you'd like more specifics.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

Probably a Ryzen 5600X (5800X is also in your budget but probably a bit overkill, though it is easier to find in stock) with a B550 motherboard and an appropriate amount of RAM for your needs (16 or 32 gigs, depending). Hold on to your current video card because the GPU market is very, very stupid right now.

Come on over to the PC building thread if you'd like more specifics.

While this is good at this point buying a pre built is legit the only way to acquire a video card in any reasonable time frame.

A few weeks ago there was a PC with a 3080 for like 2k which is almost impossible to find.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm about to move from a(n AMD) B350 board with two DIMM slots to a(n Intel) B460 with four

I know from the manual where to place the two sticks of RAM that I have to get dual channel even with just two slots filled, and I don't feel like I need any more RAM than the 16 GB I already have, but it's not clear to me if there's any kind of benefit at all to filling all four slots. Is there?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm about to move from a(n AMD) B350 board with two DIMM slots to a(n Intel) B460 with four

I know from the manual where to place the two sticks of RAM that I have to get dual channel even with just two slots filled, and I don't feel like I need any more RAM than the 16 GB I already have, but it's not clear to me if there's any kind of benefit at all to filling all four slots. Is there?

please correct me if i'm wrong but my impression from a recent LTT video on motherboards is that there is absolutely no performance gain and possibly a performance penalty depending on the board, unless you have a CPU/mobo that can take advantage of quad channel. similarly you'll get better speeds at more stable voltages with 2 versus 4 because the ram's uh i think it's VRM controller (?) has to push to four instead of two.

honestly pretty marginal as i understand it - if you need the extra ram go for it otherwise i don't really see the point.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dual rank (distinct from dual channel) can improve things on AMD boards, I assume Intel will behave similarly, but only in CPU bound scenarios. It is generally harder to overclock 4 sticks than 2 but I don't know if that matters at all if you're not doing extreme OC.

Probably not something worth worrying about, unless you know your ram needs are going to increase dramatically before ram prices come back down.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can't memory tune on a B460 anyway, so that's a moot point.

Okay, so no appreciable perf upgrade, and I don't need more RAM. Gonna stick with what I've got.

Thanks folks.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Also depending on how old they are, your sticks may already be dual rank! CPU-Z can tell you in the SPD tab.

Most 16gb kits these days are single rank but I have a kit from late 2015 that's dual.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
With dual rank kits, you want to only ever use two sticks. A dual rank stick acts like two regular RAM sticks, meaning it causes more load on the memory controller - with four slots filled with dual-rank sticks, you won't be able to achieve the max speed potentially.

Also, don't forget to enable the XMP profile for your RAM in the Bios, otherwise it will just run at standard JEDEC speeds and not the speed that is printed on the packaging. This is very much an essential step.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought my keyboard was all of a sudden dying when I started to have phantom alt key presses (that don't show up on the onscreen keyboard!) that persist after restarts, with up to date drivers, every other device removed, unplugged replugged, key removal, key brushing, key vacuuming, key turn this loving keyboard the gently caress upside down and shake the hell out of its, but I finally launched the keyboard software that comes with a heatmap thing (it's a logitech 513) to see if these alt presses were showing up while I typed there and now it stopped happening.

I know the software can write lighting profiles and macros to the keyboard do you think it reset like some broken keyboard firmware or something?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking of upgrading to one of those dual-fan air coolers, like a DeepCool Gammaxx 400 Pro

except, as I understand it, each fan needs its own header, but I only have a single CPU fan header

am I supposed to:

* get a splitter for the CPU fan header?
* just plug one of the fans into the case fan hub? should it be the push fan or the pull fan?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You're supposed to get a splitter. Usually, one is included with dual coolers.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Bit of a dumb question, and I guess I'm mostly looking for reassurance here, but how bad is it that I'm running a backup to a HDD while the adjacent building is being demolished with a jackhammer...? :\ It only occurred to me halfway through that the vibrations are probably not great for a spinning platter drive. I'm gonna let it finish cause I'm otherwise without a backup and it's nearly done, but still. I'd like to believe modern hard drives, particularly portable ones like this My Elements, are a lot more resistant to this sort of stuff. I've put it on some dense fabric in the meantime to hopefully soak up a little of the vibrations.

It's probably fine but maybe not do it again, I guess?

Really hope they wrap up this demolition soonish because it's a loving nightmare. And that the inevitable subsequent construction work won't be as bad or I'll actually have to start looking for a new apartment.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Glare Seethe posted:

It's probably fine but maybe not do it again, I guess?

This. The cloth helped a bunch I'm sure

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Thanks. The jackhammer's gone today (after three days in a row) so hopefully that's done, but in any case now that I at least have a completed backup I feel a little safer, I only do weekly backups anyway and can easily skip a couple if necessary.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Drives made for NAS applications supposedly have vibration sensors because they're made to deal with the vibrations from other drives in the same cabinet. Whether these drives just park the heads whenever vibrations get too bad, spin down like an unbalanced washing machine, or do some other magic with the rotation speed to avoid harmonics and resonance, I have no idea about. The NAS thread might know more about that.

Edit: I'm bringing up NAS drives because the LaCie branded external drives I bought some time ago actually contain Seagate Ironwolf Pro NAS CMR drives inside them.

Vir fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 22, 2021

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I'm looking for advice on buying a KVM switch because I've never used one and have zero clue what's good. Here are the two (Win10) computers I'm looking to switch between:

PC 1: personal computer with DVI and HDMI video outputs
PC 2: work laptop with HDMI and Thunderbolt outputs

Other stuff:

- Keyboard and mouse are Logitech and use the "unifying receiver" wireless system on my personal computer. I like them and would like to be able to use them on both PCs.

- Monitor: subject to change/upgrade. Currently old-rear end HP with DVI and HDMI inputs.

- Audio should remain completely separate and not flow through the KVM, with my personal computer using speakers and the laptop a headset, i.e. the current setup.

I don't have a dock for my laptop, but could get one through work in case that helps.

I think that about covers it... any suggestions besides "just get the most popular one on Amazon?"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Full KVMs can be expensive and bulky so if you don't absolutely need a one-button solution I'd generally recommend a just using a USB switch for your inputs (I got this one a while back and it's done the job just fine, although it seems to have doubled in price since I bought it) and connecting both machines to separate inputs on the monitor. DVI obviously isn't ideal but if you're upgrading the monitor ones with two HDMI inputs are pretty common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Hello, my 13 year old ViewSonic monitor finally died. It was paired with an ancient desktop with a GTX560Ti. I have no desire to re-do my entire setup, because I don't really have a lot of time to play video games these days, but I would like to use the desktop, and maybe play games on it sometimes when the opportunity arises.

What's the best option for a monitor that's affordable as in bare bones features, but not cheap as in poor build quality? I don't need anything high end, because a 10 year old graphics card isn't going to be able to take advantage of it, but I also don't want some office supply monitor with an atrocious refresh rate that's going to come with a bunch of dead pixels.