Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also i cannot stress enough: take a commission. when i was new to the game someone told me to avoid commissions until you were more experienced, and this is the worst Starsector-related advice i've ever heard. it's the exact opposite of the truth, it takes a lot more experience (and patience) to get by without one!

they give you passive income and access to rarer hulls and weapons and open the game up so much more than trying to go it alone. i tend to go Tri-Tach because high tech is best tech but pick whatever faction flies the things you want to fly

with a commission you can start saving up for a decent combat cruiser and an actually-good fit for it, which is really the turning point where bounties start being a feasible and profitable approach as opposed to exploration / trade

getting something like a Dominator, Eagle, Champion, Aurora, or Doom basically marks the beginning of the midgame imo. i didn't put it on the previous list because you kind of need to already have a handle on things to afford and maintain one, but this is basically the next step after "okay i have a decent little fleet of frigates and destroyers, now what?"

e: and if all of the above is TMI, name a hull and i'll post a fit :v:

I wasn't going to do it this run but i found a paragon derelict in a high alert system I was sneaking around in and now my costs are ballooning out of control. Gonna miss that 20 burn but i can't turn all that pew pew down.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the tips, specifically the commission thing, I was flying solo.

EDIT: I'm using the Corvus abandoned base to hide my poo poo. Are some other places to do so in the Core, in case I piss of the Hegemony (I think?)

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 14, 2021

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Just keep in mind, don't go to systems your faction is at war with if you don't think you can handle it. Breaking a commission is just 10 rep so just keep it as long as it's convenient.

There is one other stash place in one of the pather systems i think.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 14, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks for the tips, specifically the commission thing, I was flying solo.

EDIT: I'm using the Corvus abandoned base to hide my poo poo. Are some other places to do so in the Core, in case I piss of the Hegemony (I think?)

Yeah, there's one in Yma (Persean system, look for the Abandoned Siphon Station) and another in Mayasura (Persean + Tri-Tach, Abandoned Astropolis)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also i cannot stress enough: take a commission. when i was new to the game someone told me to avoid commissions until you were more experienced, and this is the worst Starsector-related advice i've ever heard. it's the exact opposite of the truth, it takes a lot more experience (and patience) to get by without one!

they give you passive income and access to rarer hulls and weapons and open the game up so much more than trying to go it alone. i tend to go Tri-Tach because high tech is best tech but pick whatever faction flies the things you want to fly

with a commission you can start saving up for a decent combat cruiser and an actually-good fit for it, which is really the turning point where bounties start being a feasible and profitable approach as opposed to exploration / trade

getting something like a Dominator, Eagle, Champion, Aurora, or Doom basically marks the beginning of the midgame imo. i didn't put it on the previous list because you kind of need to already have a handle on things to afford and maintain one, but this is basically the next step after "okay i have a decent little fleet of frigates and destroyers, now what?"

e: and if all of the above is TMI, name a hull and i'll post a fit :v:

commissions are bad now purely because colonies are a massively better source of money, ships and weapons and having a commission will inevitably gently caress over your reputation with most of the other factions and lead to your colonies requiring continuous babysitting

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah but you have the commission first, futz about doing high-paying missions second to build up rep and a colony nest egg, and then build colonies

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

cock hero flux posted:

commissions are bad now purely because colonies are a massively better source of money, ships and weapons and having a commission will inevitably gently caress over your reputation with most of the other factions and lead to your colonies requiring continuous babysitting

having colonies fucks your reputation anyways; as soon as you start making money everyone is going to constantly raid you for having market share and then get mad at you for winning (colonies also don't actually require babysitting in vanilla, just upgraded military facilities)

having a commission at least prevents that specific faction from sending expeditions, which means you retain one non-pirate faction on your side instead of none

e: also by the time you have colony money you can basically do whatever you want anyways, you've won the game

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 14, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

having colonies fucks your reputation anyways; as soon as you start making money everyone is going to constantly raid you for having market share and then get mad at you for winning (colonies also don't actually require babysitting in vanilla, just upgraded military facilities)

having a commission at least prevents that specific faction from sending expeditions, which means you retain one non-pirate faction on your side instead of none

e: also by the time you have colony money you can basically do whatever you want anyways, you've won the game

Yeah the loop is Commission/Missions>Colony>Explore far corners of the map.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Then start loving around with AI cores and burn the sector to the ground.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
just don't make a colony until you have 11 alpha cores and intel to find a fantastic planet. babysit until it's an impenetrable doom fortress and pulls in 300k/mo and you're golden.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Ah the fun way is to start your colony cluster as soon as possible and throw them to the wolves. The commission wage really helps with this strat

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Don't grow your starting colonies beyond size 3 and they're perfectly safe. A 15k income a month mining colony is cheap to set up very early on, and you can just forget about it while you do other stuff and enjoy the passive income. If you take the cheap governors that have no skills, you can reasonably earn 40k a month from 3 mining colonies while leaving a slot open for tech mining worlds that you can settle and abandon as needed.

e: If you take a commission, find a good enough planet in a sistem your benefactor has a strong hold on, and build it up as much as you want. They'll do a good job protecting your world against most threats.

my dad fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 14, 2021

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

If you are finding it hard to stash stuff in Corvus, you can turn any pirate space station into a free place to store good if you raid it enough times to cause it to decivilize.

Just a pro-tip.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm pretty sure that decivilizing places reduces the global economy, so you'd be indirectly hurting yourself in the long run.

Unless I'm wrong, and the economy would stay in full swing after a campaign of galactic genocide, in which case i need to revise my strats. :v

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It picks up again if you build enough colonies to compensate.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I thought your own colonies don't contribute to the global economy? That only the NPC faction colonies do. Your production is just determining your share in the market, but the value of the market is based on the sum of demands from NPC colonies.

Are you playing with mods that change any of this? I know a lot of people play Nex so much that they forget a bunch of its mechanics are not in vanilla.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tabletops posted:

What do you mean

I had saves in .91 that I could load on my desktop but not laptop. It was an issue that Alex had resolved for this version like over a year ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

God drat I love kadur chemrails.

Just slap as many as you can on something with ammo accelrators and batter things to death under a torrent of fragmentation rounds.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I wonder if pilots should be a discrete resource, like marines, with experience and maybe higher wages to represent their tragic mortality rates. Right now there’s zero reason to use recovery shuttles, take the fighter skill, or really, worry about fighter attrition at all.

If the fighter AI had a sense of self-preservation it would honestly be a major buff. Right now they’re likely to dive right into the center of a formation and get annihilated.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 14, 2021

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I haven't played this in like 7-8 years but I reinstalled and it's way more full featured to the point that I'm unsure what to do with a lot of it. Is there a guide to skill builds somewhere? I don't remember skills existing at all. Also, how rare are story points, should I be hoarding them or burning them on elite skills etc? I have no idea!

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

andrew smash posted:

I haven't played this in like 7-8 years but I reinstalled and it's way more full featured to the point that I'm unsure what to do with a lot of it. Is there a guide to skill builds somewhere? I don't remember skills existing at all. Also, how rare are story points, should I be hoarding them or burning them on elite skills etc? I have no idea!

i'm not sure of a skill builds guide, a meta is forming but hasn't been min-maxed completely yet.

story points come by really fast at the start and slow down later. they are technically unlimited, but by your 100th story point you'll be having to fight several large engagements to earn a story point, and forget earning them through exploration or trade experience.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Multiple industries in the same system don't increase commodity availability to colonies. But they do still generate revenue via export, right?

e: This is why I love mods.

Civilian-Hull Paragon, peaceful intentions only please

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 14, 2021

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

andrew smash posted:

a lot of the skill choices seem to pose one of two questions: are you building a small frigate fleet or a big capital fleet? and: do you like big guns or lots of fighters? if you know the answer to these questions then a lot of the choices will be clear.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Vengarr posted:

Multiple industries in the same system don't increase commodity availability to colonies. But they do still generate revenue via export, right?

e: This is why I love mods.

Civilian-Hull Paragon, peaceful intentions only please

(Mostly) correct. Imports are based off accessibility so different planets might have different bonuses/maluses but they'll all start the same. Exports are per planet.

You do get a bonus for handling demand within faction but I don't think it matters where the supply is coming from.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

My biggest complaint with the combat tree is... I keep flying unshielded death traps and I don't want to waste an entire skill point to get to the end cause... if you ain't a phase ship or you're not using shields, the second to last talent is 100% useless.

There are a few talents that I feel like should be trinary. Just cause sometimes the two options available just don't apply at all.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Once max level, highly recommend going into the settings file and changing story points per level from 4 to something like 10, come a bit slow otherwise.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Vengarr posted:

I wonder if pilots should be a discrete resource, like marines, with experience and maybe higher wages to represent their tragic mortality rates. Right now there’s zero reason to use recovery shuttles, take the fighter skill, or really, worry about fighter attrition at all.

If the fighter AI had a sense of self-preservation it would honestly be a major buff. Right now they’re likely to dive right into the center of a formation and get annihilated.

Imo fighters should not be targetable by non-PD medium weapons. Anything with a decent medium weapon load out just seems to obliterate strike formations without much trouble since fighters don't reliably dodge even slow projectiles

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
An object lesson for anyone as foolish as me:

I just did the academy mission where you have to hack the com relay. I stored my fleet at a Hegemony base. I had a nice fast, stealthy Afflictor all specced out and ready to go. Slight problem: not much cargo space on those things. Which would have been fine if I hadn't been hauling around my stash of AI cores rather than doing the sensible thing and storing them at one of my colonies. I was worried they'd get raided. It turns out you can't store cores in Heg facilities, and I couldn't be bothered to fly all the way back to my colony system to dump them. So I decided I'd throw them overboard, stabilise their orbit and come back to get them later.

I pull off the mission. I go back. No cargo pods. Looks like stabilising them does nothing to prevent just anyone from swooping in and taking them. Fifty gamma cores, a handful of betas and a couple of alphas all gone. And of course I'd quicksaved after I completed the mission.

So lesson learned, don't dump cargo you want to keep where someone's likely to come by and pick it up. Next time I will make sure it's stashed somewhere nice and secure, or at the very least drop it in a nebula or something. It's a bit annoying, but I thought it was a nice little emergent storytelling moment. Just a pity I can't get a clue as to who kidnapped my poor AIs and go rain hell on them.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I know Alex is probably sick to death of reworking skills, but this system still has some pretty major problems. It's a little bit annoying that the skill system itself was in place eighteen months ago but only now gets public playtesting, although that's probably because the story points are important to the skill system and working those into the mechanics probably took a good while. I think the core of the problem is that some of the skills are either too powerful, or too necessary, to the point where you need a really, really good reason not to pick them. And after you apply that across the tree, you actually don't get much room for experimenting left over.

You pretty much straight up need Officer Management if you don't want to have 20% reduced range in every late game fight (as I understand it, not quite at that point yet in my campaign). That's four points. And just like the skill from the old tree that gave you 10% more OP per ship, Special Modifications is a no-brainer. You don't just need a very good reason to take Automated Ships instead, you need an extremely good reason not to have 5 points in tech in the first place. An extra built-in hull mod is pretty much the same as any skill you want from the combat tree, and it stacks with them if it's something you care about. Why would you not take it? So between leadership 4 and tech 5 you've spent 9 skill points so you have 6 left. Again, takes a very good reason not to take either Field Repairs (just keep salvaging your lost ships over and over, never need to pay to replace them) or Derelict Contingent (requires building around it but the numbers are just completely broken). Giving you a whopping two points to experiment with. Giving up any of those to experiment more (such as going for the missile skill) feels like you're making the rest of the game that much harder for yourself. It shouldn't feel like that.

If the skills were all dropped down to no more than 10% here or there, they would still be effective especially when stacked, but it wouldn't feel like punishment to leave out the especially powerful ones.

Brainbread posted:

My biggest complaint with the combat tree is... I keep flying unshielded death traps and I don't want to waste an entire skill point to get to the end cause... if you ain't a phase ship or you're not using shields, the second to last talent is 100% useless.

There are a few talents that I feel like should be trinary. Just cause sometimes the two options available just don't apply at all.

From the blog post with the design goals, the options are specifically designed so that one is generally good, and the other is specifically good if you intend to make use of the conditions. I don't think it needs a third choice, but it wouldn't hurt to have it give you a different bonus when you have no shield.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think I prefer the previous skill system

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How would one go about, say, taking a Tri-Tach commission while still doing the Galatian Academy stuff? Are they always at odds with the Hegemony? (kinda guessing yes)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ciaphas posted:

How would one go about, say, taking a Tri-Tach commission while still doing the Galatian Academy stuff? Are they always at odds with the Hegemony? (kinda guessing yes)

I did the story with a Tri-Tach commission. It doesn't change anything, you just have to go dark into enemy ports if the story requires you to go there. It also does not keep Tri-Tach fleets from trying to erase you for asking too many questions. Makes sense, they're not the best employers.

The one time you need to deal openly with a faction, you get a temporary rep boost to keep their fleets from attacking you. Kind of like the Mark of Caesar from Fallout: NV.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Brainbread posted:

yeah, or if you don't like phase ships but want missiles and systems or the other dumb phase skill.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Omnicarus posted:

Imo fighters should not be targetable by non-PD medium weapons. Anything with a decent medium weapon load out just seems to obliterate strike formations without much trouble since fighters don't reliably dodge even slow projectiles

Here's a thought: what if fighters were immune to non-PD medium/heavy weapons unless the ship firing them has Integrated Point-Defense AI? To simulate evasive maneuvers.

At the very least they have to stop making kamikaze frontal assaults. A big Astral formation will often be savaged by accidentally flying in-between an enemy capital ship and whatever it is shooting at.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anyone know if there is a mod out to reduce/remove all the skill limitations?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Vengarr posted:

Here's a thought: what if fighters were immune to non-PD medium/heavy weapons unless the ship firing them has Integrated Point-Defense AI? To simulate evasive maneuvers.

At the very least they have to stop making kamikaze frontal assaults. A big Astral formation will often be savaged by accidentally flying in-between an enemy capital ship and whatever it is shooting at.

Just give them a percentage chance for non-PD like that to just pass through them. It's annoying anyway when a Talon soaks up your blaster shot, this solves two issues at once. But make it chance based because sometimes red leader eating a Hephaestus shot on his attack run is how that story ends.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

its good for fighters to get obliterated by huge capitol ship beams because this happened to me multiple times in freespace 2

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Some Academy nerd is asking me to scan a Nebula inside of a system. Neither the neutrino scanner or the Active Sensor Burst trigger anything, and I can't see a "!" symbol anywhere. I fear I'm missing something very obvious.

EDIT: Complaining did it. It's on the very edge of the map.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Fighters getting mercilessly slaughtered by flying into capship firing solutions is a core part of the sci fi space battles experience, all of these ideas are Bad.

THS posted:

its good for fighters to get obliterated by huge capitol ship beams because this happened to me multiple times in freespace 2

Avoid the beam and you won't get hit pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Plasma cannons are lowkey decent PD because the murderspheres go through fighters without stopping or slowing down. Several OHSHIT moments involving massive bomber formations and my Apogee were averted by going in reverse and firing the plasma cannon at them.