Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

whoa so Balan Wonderworld is massive piece of poo poo huh

wonder if anything beyond the usual "not enough dev manhours/money to actually finish the drat thing" went on in development

I love those clear blue plastic desk fans

I mean, the ideas in it appear to be fully developed, it's just that the ideas are weird and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

hello posters, it is my birthday today, normally i get really down about my birthdays but i'm not feeling that anywhere near as much this year

i have not had time to squeeze in any videogames, my g/f bought me a copy of Limmys autobiography which I'm dearly looking forward to reading and some warhammer related things, perhaps i'll play some more subnautica or issac later, anyways, videogames are cool i hope everyone who posts here has a good one to play

Happy birthday!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Habby dirthpay!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

FROM Software's bosses are my favorite thing about their games.

I brute-force them with summons

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mutata posted:

I mean, the ideas in it appear to be fully developed, it's just that the ideas are weird and bad.

I dont know about fully developed. One of the games key gameplay mechanics is the ability to transform into different creatures, each one has its own unique ability. The problem with this is that only 2 or 3 of them are actually useful. No one stopped to actually playtest this stuff and realize that how they were designing the game didn't actually work.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I don't think I tried for longer than a single 30 minute session, and most were like 10 minute sessions. Maybe I need to just devote a day or two to it. I know Genchiro was my toughest gaming achievement before that. All of the souls games were easy in comparison.

I also got a better video card since I last tried so maybe that'll help too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

I brute-force them with summons

They're there for a reason!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

They're there for a reason!

Not in Sekiro though :D

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

redreader posted:

Yeah I don't think I tried for longer than a single 30 minute session, and most were like 10 minute sessions. Maybe I need to just devote a day or two to it. I know Genchiro was my toughest gaming achievement before that. All of the souls games were easy in comparison.

I also got a better video card since I last tried so maybe that'll help too.

It's tough to sit in the "okay I have to eat poo poo at this for a while to get good at this" mindset for a long time

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I said come in! posted:

I dont know about fully developed. One of the games key gameplay mechanics is the ability to transform into different creatures, each one has its own unique ability. The problem with this is that only 2 or 3 of them are actually useful. No one stopped to actually playtest this stuff and realize that how they were designing the game didn't actually work.

Or people did say that and Yuji Naka didn't listen.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I said come in! posted:

That's fair. I just mean that everything functions and everything seems 'finished', at least in a mechanical sense. Not the kind of thing that would suffer by running out of time. They just made a bad game.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

JollyBoyJohn posted:

hello posters, it is my birthday today, normally i get really down about my birthdays but i'm not feeling that anywhere near as much this year

i have not had time to squeeze in any videogames, my g/f bought me a copy of Limmys autobiography which I'm dearly looking forward to reading and some warhammer related things, perhaps i'll play some more subnautica or issac later, anyways, videogames are cool i hope everyone who posts here has a good one to play

For they’re a jolly boy fellow

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Happy birthday JollyBoyJohn I hope you have a fantastic day

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Happy Birthday, JollyBoyJohn!

I'm enjoying Enter the Gungeon (Beat the third floor for the first time, Last night!), 7 Days to Die with friends, Don't Starve Together with friends, CoD: Blops cold war with friends sometimes, and uh, Dwarf Mining Rock and Stone with friends, Whatever that's called.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mutata posted:

That's fair. I just mean that everything functions and everything seems 'finished', at least in a mechanical sense. Not the kind of thing that would suffer by running out of time. They just made a bad game.

You bring up a fair point as well!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

redreader posted:

Not in Sekiro though :D

Yeah, it's a differently designed game

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

redreader posted:

I'm enjoying Enter the Gungeon (Beat the third floor for the first time, Last night!), 7 Days to Die with friends, Don't Starve Together with friends, CoD: Blops cold war with friends sometimes, and uh, Dwarf Mining Rock and Stone with friends, Whatever that's called.

Deep Rock Galactic and it owns

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Anyone completed "The Longing" yet

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Okami: for some reason I didn't expect Issun to get any character development so returning to his home is very interesting!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cruelty Squad is a trip

"Definitely my favorite TempleOS launch title."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1388770/Cruelty_Squad/

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Happy birthday jollyboyjohn

And yeeeyy! Well done for beating Sekiro, Fridge!! Looking forward to watching these vids once I am done too! :3:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Learning that dotemu isn't pronounced .emu is the biggest joke this April.

mutata posted:

Balan reminds me of Stretch Panic in that this would've been a weird bargain bin title in the PS2 era that would make a decent rental but it's 2021 and $60.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dote Mu

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Probably changed it once they stopped primarily being an emulator porting house?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

wuggles posted:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Happy birthday jollyboyjohn

And yeeeyy! Well done for beating Sekiro, Fridge!! Looking forward to watching these vids once I am done too! :3:

I think it goes without saying that I'm looking forward to watching your playthrough!

I had to go to bed before you finished your latest steam but I went back and watched the rest of it. The way you took down the consumed king from half health with zero estus left was incredible! I got so stuck on that boss that I had to put the game on hold for a while!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redreader posted:

I think Enter the Gungeon is a strong competitor for best action roguelike.

I wish it had a bit more in it though, Isaac spoiled me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone a few days ago informed me that there is a Nier Automata live concert, and it is very very good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj4w4YmeIaA&t=5931s

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Someone a few days ago informed me that there is a Nier Automata live concert, and it is very very good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj4w4YmeIaA&t=5931s

Emi Evans is a cool person and my friend. If you enjoy her work you should check out her non-video game stuff with her band Freesscape

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Emi Evans is a cool person and my friend. If you enjoy her work you should check out her non-video game stuff with her band Freesscape

:hmmyes: :hai:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The worst part of Persona is the dungeons. Give me the story on rails, the daily calendar and the investigating weird poo poo without the long corridors of dungeons please.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of P4G though.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If Persona was just the story it'd probably just be forgotten as a below average visual novel, it's the combination of elements that makes it so popular.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I felt like P5 was on the right track with dungeons that are unique set pieces but then they kind of ruined it with the series of randomized tunnels that you have to complete by the end and it's like... why? WHYYYYY???

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
P5R vastly improved mementos, then it added on the stamps which mean you sometimes need to just go up and down and up and down and up and down to get the last 4 stamps or whatever if you want to fight the extra boss.

The proper dungeons are better except when they add utterly awful 'puzzles' that don't take much in the way of puzzle solving skill to do, but are just insanely tedious. Especially when puzzle areas are still full of random fights.

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

without dungeons where would you get the pokemon?????

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Acerbatus posted:

If Persona was just the story it'd probably just be forgotten as a below average visual novel, it's the combination of elements that makes it so popular.

Plus idk that id permit myself to enjoy a straight up dating sim.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The dungeons are the best part

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They made a Persona 4 anime if you just want to watch an abridged version of the story.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The problem with Persona 4's dungeons is that they're procedural, but the procedure never does anything interesting. Basically every Mystery Dungeon game has special kinds of "rooms" you encounter that do different stuff, and P3P kind of tried to implement this by significantly increasing the number of special floors that have some sort of gimmick to them. If the game just generates a set number of corridors, but isn't even doing an infinite amount, then why not just hand-make them and drop the random dungeon layout entirely? It made more sense in P3 where there was like 250 floors total and making all those would be a huge pain, but P4 has way less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

They made a Persona 4 anime if you just want to watch an abridged version of the story.