Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Yeah, they should have made XO manowar, Magnus, or maybe Turok instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The fact that we never got a hellaciously cheesy 90s Turok movie is honestly baffling.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

brocked posted:

Yeah, they should have made XO manowar, Magnus, or maybe Turok instead

And just cast Vin Diesel in all of them. The Viniverse.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I finally watched Russian Raid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3hYnIqxFaM

It's not great, but it's good. It's pretty much wall to wall action after the opening 20 minutes. Feels like it should be making more of an impact among action fans than it is.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Narzack posted:

Yoooooo, Robot Jox is on Prime.

It's a fantastic transfer, too. It looks great.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Robot Jox is especially good since, while it's obviously a dumb robot movie, it's also written by Joe Halderman, who's a serious Sci fi writer who's won every award in the industry. And so, in the middle of this incredibly cheap and terrible film, there's more than a few good and interesting sub plots that hint at a proper sci fi film just beyond the boundaries of these action figures hitting each other.

It also has the most abrupt ending I can think of outside of Shaw Bros. kung fu films.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Robot Jox is especially good since, while it's obviously a dumb robot movie, it's also written by Joe Halderman, who's a serious Sci fi writer who's won every award in the industry. And so, in the middle of this incredibly cheap and terrible film, there's more than a few good and interesting sub plots that hint at a proper sci fi film just beyond the boundaries of these action figures hitting each other.

It also has the most abrupt ending I can think of outside of Shaw Bros. kung fu films.

It's cool to imagine the movie that Halderman wrote. Like you said, you can really see the dna of it in the bar scenes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Jiujitsu is now on Netflix

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Wow, I didn't know A: That Stuart Gordon directed a robot movie, and B: Joe Halderman did any screenplays. I loved Forever War.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Wow, I didn't know A: That Stuart Gordon directed a robot movie, and B: Joe Halderman did any screenplays. I loved Forever War.

Robot Jox is is short and a lot of fun, definitely check it out.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Robot Jox fills me with glee.

As does as this slice of vintage Sammo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J53DYPaAm44

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'll be streaming a few films this Sunday in the CineD Discord's Horror Channel, everyone is welcome to come along :3:

:blastu: Sunday Chill Stream: Arnold Edition :blastu:
:blastback: Only on the CineD Discord :blaster:

All times are in EST, and may not reflect reality.

0900 Pumping Iron
1035 Commando
1215 Total Recall
1420 Conan the Barbarian
1640 Kindgergarten Cop
1840 The Terminator
2035 Terminator 2 Judgement Day (Extended)
2320 The Running Man

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Should I say it? I'm not supposed to say it. I'll just say it. Cyber Tracker 2 is even better than Cyber Tracker!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Another weekend, another Letterboxed review, this time of The Exterminator (1980):

In the 1970s and 1980s, approximately one million films were made about a Vietnam veteran returning home, being pushed too far, and turning vigilante. This is one of them.

Captured by the North Vietnamese, American soldiers John Eastland (Robert Ginty) and Michael Jefferson (Steve James) escape, with Jefferson saving Eastland's life. Years later back in New York, Jefferson is paralysed after being attacked by a street gang. Eastland sets out for revenge and finds himself drawn into a general war on crime.

The Exterminator is definitely a grindhouse experience, taking place in the grimy New York that was just outside the 42nd Street cinemas that films like this were shown in, and featuring the explicit nastiness - including sex workers being tortured - that the style is known for. For all that, it looks pretty good and has at least a couple of really great shots. Where it falls down is in its often disjointed editing, and in Robert Ginty not really being a charismatic presence at the centre of the film. There's also no real build-up to Eastman becoming a vigilante, he just immediately starts, and surely the best bit of any vigilante film is the bit where the protagonist finally flips out?

I recommend this to you if you won't mind its nasty edge. It's a solid film which isn't that far away from being something much better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
On like my twentieth rewatch of The Matrix Reloaded I finally noticed that Tiger Chen is in it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

On like my twentieth rewatch of The Matrix Reloaded I finally noticed that Tiger Chen is in it.

There was a sweet little mini doco on him on the massive ten disc box set, and he seemed like an absolutely lovely guy.

It also captured the moment where one of the other stuntmen in that scene discovered that he literally got to throw one punch before he was killed.

Those were great making ofs.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Who's in the mood for some Yuen Biao, the man made of springs? me, always and forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B970IhbbMbU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

ynohtna posted:

Yuen Biao, the man made of springs? me, always and forever

That's a great descriptor. He has that sense of incessant motion and bounce. I just rewatched Dragons Forever, and as much as I worship Jackie Chan, i think Biao's work in that movie is just so much better.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Narzack posted:

That's a great descriptor. He has that sense of incessant motion and bounce. I just rewatched Dragons Forever, and as much as I worship Jackie Chan, i think Biao's work in that movie is just so much better.

I’ve always thought Biao was the most physically talented of the trio. Jackie was always a little limited, comparatively, he’s just so good at blending his acting with his fighting that he could go further.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Sammo Hung made Yuen Biao jump off a two story building, then immediately deliver a line to a crowd of passersby in Millionaire's Express. I don't think anyone else could have pulled it off.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Jackie Chan is what comes out when Sammo and Yuen do a fusion dance.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

A long thread with cool gifs

https://mobile.twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1378092742895669255

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are they just all shots of Chow Yun Fat being the coolest dude to ever live? Because that's like top 500 favorite John Woo moments right there.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Jimbot posted:

Are they just all shots of Chow Yun Fat being the coolest dude to ever live? Because that's like top 500 favorite John Woo moments right there.

Some of them are also Philip Kwok being the coolest dude to ever live.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1378099296252354566

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What those gifs taught me is you need blanks and squibs for days or the director is a gently caress.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I love the scene where they're in the hospital corridor and Tony Leung's gun is pointing nowhere near where the shots are hitting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I love the scene where they're in the hospital corridor and Tony Leung's gun is pointing nowhere near where the shots are hitting.

The absolute most John Woo shot is in Hard Boiled when Mad Dog, horrified at his boss's callousness, shoots him, only for his gun to be empty. It's not completely empty, but it only has one bullet in it, and no one dies in John Woo land unless they're shot 37 times while they writhe in slow motion. the first time I saw that movie I was utterly unprepared for how insane it was, it was overload. When I rewatched it a couple of years later, I was amazed how much I didn't remember at all. It all blurred together in a big pile of 'holy poo poo that was awesome'. That scene was crystal clear, since it's such a clear sign that we're not in the real world at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This loving owns.

https://vimeo.com/294245457

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

It's pretty baller.

Roseanne Liang also directed Shadow in the Cloud, starring Chloe Grace Moretz. It's pretty exciting though a little uneven and the script is pretty basic imo, but people should watch it to support Liang as I want her to make more movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Russian Raid movie (literally called 'Russian Raid') is loving dope and really dumb. It's also incomprehensible narratively. It just forgets to tell you half the important elements of the plot. Or, possibly, it just hinges on a whole bunch of uniquely Russian cultural things.

Either way, the action is cool as hell and unique.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I want to watch John Woo's Red Cliffs, but I don't want to accidentally pay for the condensed international version with all the cut scenes - I want the two-part Chinese version with English subtitles. Amazon Prime is very confusing and not at all clear about what you're getting through their website (the runtime is only 2.5 hours but reviewers say its the full 5-hour over two parts). Can anyone provide some clarity on where I can go to get this?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wanted to like Jiu-Jitsu, but goddamn, it's so badly made. The talent is great, but the filmmaking is somewhere above "filmed on a phone in my backyard" and below the kind of direct-to-video movie that has Lance Henriksen in it for five minutes.

The other movies I watched this weekend were Wild At Heart and Wigstock, so I don't have any good news on the action front.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
My wife and I have attempted to watch Jui Jitsu twice now and I legitimately can't tell you anything about it. It's really really bad and I am pretty much the target audience for movies like that.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I have no idea where the Fast & Furious 9 thread is (no archives, sorry), but VD posted the new trailer to facebook. If you like live-action cartoons, and always wanted Vin Diesel to do GI Joe Extreme, you might like it. There are magic electromagnets involved.

He is definitely a master of interacting with CGI properly. There will be many awesome CGI sequences in F&F9. But I was half-expecting him to do the "now you know" line.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheScottAdkins/status/1382804234203230209

Consider me interested.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Since nobody's mentioned it so far, I am psyched to see Warrior got picked up for a 3rd season on HBO Max

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

brocked posted:

Since nobody's mentioned it so far, I am psyched to see Warrior got picked up for a 3rd season on HBO Max

Nice. Also, Jason Tobin is in the new Fast and Furious, so I'm glad he's moving up in the world.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Ditto.

Also, a few posts back, but I echo this sentiment:

Snowman_McK posted:

There was a sweet little mini doco on him on the massive ten disc box set, and he seemed like an absolutely lovely guy.

It also captured the moment where one of the other stuntmen in that scene discovered that he literally got to throw one punch before he was killed.

Those were great making ofs.

I think I'd put that Matrix ten disc set documentaries at AT LEAST my second favorite movie making-of. But that's just because the LotR docs are pretty much the gold standard. I actually just rewatched The Matrix Revisited, and am about to dive back in to Reloaded's stuff. If you watch closely, you can see Tiger Chen in the fight training group working with the actors in the prepro of the first movie, too.

Plus future John Wick directors.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nobody was really good. Odenkirk actually pulled it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Basebf555 posted:

Nobody was really good. Odenkirk actually pulled it off.

Seeing that in an an Atmos theater (25%) full of drunk college kids was a truly great time - movies as a shared experience really is the best.