Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I rather like the tick noise the watch makes when tapping things but the rest of the noises can gently caress off. Mine's been on mute since the day I bough it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I too am part of the #AlwaysMuteCrew

Well, not so much a crew as a collection of unaffiliated individuals who all choose to use their device the same way but the hashtag works better with "crew"

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am a teacher so #MuteCrew from day one. In fact, I forgot what my ringtones are until I had my airpods in and got a call.

I missed a lot of things with my phone muted (and sitting on my desk) but my watch keeps me up to date really well.

I am waffling back and forth about doing the beta test for the watch so I can use the watch unlock for the phone. It would be extremely useful in the classroom but I am guessing that it will not be public until summer time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For what’s it’s worth, I’ve been running the watch beta for a while with zero issues. And the watch unlock is an amazing qol upgrade.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For what’s it’s worth, I’ve been running the watch beta for a while with zero issues. And the watch unlock is an amazing qol upgrade.
Nothing to add to this. I’ve had no problems and it’s an amazing QoL upgrade.

:ninja:: also it’s on, what, like beta 6 or 7 now? Generally the betas are pretty drat close to Release Candidates at that point

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wouldn’t be surprised to see 14.5/7.4 in the next week or two.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Had to factory reset my S3 twice in a row to get a software update to go through. Really should bite the bullet and upgrade one of these days but damnit if I’m not too stubborn for my own good. :argh:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Protocol7 posted:

Had to factory reset my S3 twice in a row to get a software update to go through. Really should bite the bullet and upgrade one of these days but damnit if I’m not too stubborn for my own good. :argh:

Same on both the update issues and the desire. I was helping setup my Mom's S6 this weekend and it has me thinking about it...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah same, kind of tempted to upgrade. But really the hassle updating is my only issue, my S3 still works great and none of the new features sound game changing.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I’m going to hang on to the S3 until they quit updating it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

im on the net me boys posted:

I’m going to hang on to the S3 until they quit updating it

I was in the same boat but the SE was a cheap enough upgrade to make it worth it.

That’s was with a trade in though.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

MarcusSA posted:

I was in the same boat but the SE was a cheap enough upgrade to make it worth it.

That’s was with a trade in though.

I considered doing this in February when they were offering sweeter trade in deals, but the S3 has sentimental value to me.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Not gonna lie, I'm most excited for new watch bands next week. :shrug:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’m glad I’ll finally have a real reason to update my watch to the next watchOS version.

I hate I have to unpair it (and redo my Apple Pay cards) just for software updates.

But I’m drat excited about the iPhone unlock if Apple Watch is unlocked functionality. Especially while wearing a mask and using faceid.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I worked the last 8 months in retail , wearing a mask, and always having to type my lock code to unlock my phone. Of course the update where your watch overrides the mask issue with face unlock comes out the month after i get a work at home job and finally (after 12+ years) leave retail.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Duckman2008 posted:

I worked the last 8 months in retail , wearing a mask, and always having to type my lock code to unlock my phone. Of course the update where your watch overrides the mask issue with face unlock comes out the month after i get a work at home job and finally (after 12+ years) leave retail.

Yeah but you're out of retail, congrats!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You'll still get to use the feature a lot because we're gonna be living with mutations of this bullshit pandemic for the rest of our dumb lives.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Snuffman posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm most excited for new watch bands next week. :shrug:

I saw what are the supposed colors and I want that green one I think.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, I didn’t realize you could swipe left on the Time To Walk activity in the fitness app to remove it. I have just been quietly annoyed with it every time I go for a run for the last month.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I mostly deleted it because the little loading spinner whenever it refreshes infuriated me. I am too important to waste that 0.5 seconds!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

smackfu posted:

Wow, I didn’t realize you could swipe left on the Time To Walk activity in the fitness app to remove it. I have just been quietly annoyed with it every time I go for a run for the last month.
Oh thank you.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
A friend has a Series 4 with a cracked screen. Apple store guy told her that it’s cheaper to just buy a new watch rather than have it repaired. Is this really the case? Does anyone else fix these things?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The watches are basically unrepairable, it's just a big brick of glue and battery.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
It's why AppleCare for the watch is basically a no-brainer at $69.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Crayvex posted:

A friend has a Series 4 with a cracked screen. Apple store guy told her that it’s cheaper to just buy a new watch rather than have it repaired. Is this really the case? Does anyone else fix these things?

Yeah, imagine my anger when I shelled out extra for the Series 3 SS model (because I tend to scratch my non-sapphire watches), only to have the screen pop off 3 months after Apple care ended.
I think they wanted something like 400 CDN$ for a repair.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

7.4 out. Go unlock with masks on now.

e: RC is out, need beta profile.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 20, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Not showing up on my devices yet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

smackfu posted:

Not showing up on my devices yet.

It's the RC. You need the beta profile installed.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Does the watch sometimes forget to buzz anyone else about standing? I wish there was an even higher level than the current strongest haptic feedback, I can't tell if the watch sometimes doesn't buzz me, or if I'm so deep into my work I'm just missing the vibration.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

IAmKale posted:

Does the watch sometimes forget to buzz anyone else about standing? I wish there was an even higher level than the current strongest haptic feedback, I can't tell if the watch sometimes doesn't buzz me, or if I'm so deep into my work I'm just missing the vibration.
I have no reason to believe that it actually fails to buzz me ever at 10 before the hour, but I sure as hell miss it all the drat time.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
How can I turn off Snooze option from the sleep/wake vibration on the watch?

Searching the internet found a couple “just go to settings > alarms” but I tried that on the Watch, Watch App on phone, and settings on phone.

I just don’t want snooze to even be an option.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

How can I turn off Snooze option from the sleep/wake vibration on the watch?

Searching the internet found a couple “just go to settings > alarms” but I tried that on the Watch, Watch App on phone, and settings on phone.

I just don’t want snooze to even be an option.

It isn’t in settings. When you create or edit an individual alarm there’s a slider for snooze.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jesus, thanks. Not sure how I missed that, I thought it came back and had something to do with the sleep app. Got it sorted now, cheers :tipshat:

E: actually Alarm was just for the next day, to change all of them I had to go to Health, Sleep, Schedule, Full Schedule, Options, and the turn of snooze for all was there.

Hed fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 21, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does the Watch app on the phone act reliably for anyone when asking it to check for updates? 99% of the time it just sits on the ‘checking’ screen for me and does nothing.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It usually works fine for me (and then downloading and installing the update is a dicey hours-long process that may or may not work :emo:). It may just be getting slammed today

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seems to do it even on a random day when I’m not sure if I’m behind or not. Hopefully it’ll eventually find it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do we need the watchOS upgrade for mask-unlock?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Do we need the watchOS upgrade for mask-unlock?

Yes

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
ECG is finally available in Australia hurray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey there… I have a question.
WatchOS7.4 mentions airplay 2 to TVs and such which is great… I can get it to work, but I could get it to work before via means….

I assumed this meant I’d see the watch readout overlay on the tv, but I still do not.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this not what they have updated? And if not, what is the news here… just that you don’t have to screen-mirror any more??

Thanks!