Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was shocked at how much of a beast my Stinger was in deep snow, even with all seasons on it (The winters needed to be replaced and there was less than a year left on my lease so I said gently caress it - I have the Focus for when it's really bad). Thing just did not give a gently caress and passed stuck SUVs left and right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Prius AWD is going to be mostly useful for getting unstuck, going up a slippery hill, or driving on a road that is somewhat managed in a snowstorm like an interstate or major highway. Due to ground clearance you'll run in to the snowplowing problem relatively quick (where your bumper acts as a snowplow and builds up a nice big pile of snow) and basically no amount of power and traction will solve that issue.

My general opinion is that if you really need AWD for poor weather traction you are relatively likely to need more ground clearance as well. AWD for high power applications, that's a different story.

True it’s the same predicament I’m in, but my job literally involves driving worst condition imaginable through high snow depths so now I want a ludicrously expensive 4x4 pickup (more specifically hopefully talk myself into a used sr5 because paying 35k for a used trd off-road is lol).

But that’s a recent development for me, before I took this job, I still lived in winter climate and went to the mountains and 99.9% of the time snow covered mountain actually boils down to slick but recently plowed road that almost any car on snow tires can handle. Buying lifted vehicles comes with a whole lot of disadvantages for slick highway driving if you ask me and not even considering it in the dry.

Anyways gently caress it let’s all buy Broncos with lockers for 45 k

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you're buying a taco you might as well buy new

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ethanol posted:

True it’s the same predicament I’m in, but my job literally involves driving worst condition imaginable through high snow depths so now I want a ludicrously expensive 4x4 pickup (more specifically hopefully talk myself into a used sr5 because paying 35k for a used trd off-road is lol).

But that’s a recent development for me, before I took this job, I still lived in winter climate and went to the mountains and 99.9% of the time snow covered mountain actually boils down to slick but recently plowed road that almost any car on snow tires can handle. Buying lifted vehicles comes with a whole lot of disadvantages for slick highway driving if you ask me and not even considering it in the dry.

Anyways gently caress it let’s all buy Broncos with lockers for 45 k

Let’s buy Bronco sports without lockers for 45k. Ford Edge, but edgier

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My ‘14 Chev Cruze is starting to have regular issues and we have moved to a new house that has a long, steep driveway that was difficult to get up this winter, so I’m thinking about selling it and buying an SUV (or at least something with 4 wheel drive).

Is there a go-to Goon favorite Compact SUV? My brief research suggests that the Honda CRV is pretty good, but I know that car review sites tend to focus on features and gloss over the practical stuff...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

My ‘14 Chev Cruze is starting to have regular issues and we have moved to a new house that has a long, steep driveway that was difficult to get up this winter, so I’m thinking about selling it and buying an SUV (or at least something with 4 wheel drive).

Is there a go-to Goon favorite Compact SUV? My brief research suggests that the Honda CRV is pretty good, but I know that car review sites tend to focus on features and gloss over the practical stuff...
I feature that will determine your vehicle's prowess to traverse an incline is called "tires". Invest in that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's definitely possible to have a long enough and steep enough driveway that tires alone won't cut it. Growing up, I had a long driveway that had a very sharp right hand bend (maybe 70-80 deg?) immediately going in to a steep uphill. A few days each winter it would be possible to make it around and up in the Legacy or Forester with AWD and winter tires, but not the Accord or Maxima with winter tires.

But yes, if you don't have winter tires, winter tires is the first step. If that still isn't enough because you have a true sumbitch of a driveway, really any of the Forester / CR-V / RAV4 / CX-5 are good.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't doubt your story/experience, but it is ironic to me that the AWD is being recommended to just be able to park your car in your garage. I can't imagine any situation which on its face sounds more opposite to offroading on steep mountain inclines, whatever you see in the SUV ads, etc., than parking your car in your garage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

someone never lived in a rural area, I see

plus, nobody's recommending AWD up front

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
If I live in NY and want to purchase a rust free 95-01 Ford Explorer what would be one of the least headache inducing ways? Find a non-local dealer with one for sale, purchase, then find auto shipping company? Go to a local dealer and ask them to search? Find someone on craigslist locally that imports them for sale and ask if I can get in on that? I don't know where to start.

I AM able to buy a plane ticket somewhere to fly back but I'd rather keep it within a 5-7 hour drive back.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

silence_kit posted:

I don't doubt your story/experience, but it is ironic to me that the AWD is being recommended to just be able to park your car in your garage. I can't imagine any situation which on its face sounds more opposite to offroading on steep mountain inclines, whatever you see in the SUV ads, etc., than parking your car in your garage.

For real the time I most appreciate my GX470's 4wd and AT tires is parking / getting unparked from the street parking in front of my house and our hilly, also usually unplowed side roads. That's not why I got it, but it's nice and definitely more capable than any of the fwd or rwd cars I've had with snow tires.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The thread has a rightful suspiciousness of AWD requirements, but I think the first question to ask is what tires does the current car have.

The short answer for default CUV recommendation is Rav4.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cage posted:

If I live in NY and want to purchase a rust free 95-01 Ford Explorer what would be one of the least headache inducing ways?

Those things rusted if the bag of groceries you put in them had salt in it. I'm only being a little bit facetious. They made a ton of them, they were cheap and nobody particularly cared for them because they were what they were. Even one without rust is sure to be a basket case of deferred maintenance that's been teenageer-driven for a decade now.

I'm really curious why you would what one of these things.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Motronic posted:

I'm really curious why you would what one of these things.

Same here.

Just because I'm bored, I looked for 95 to 01 Explorers within 200 miles of San Antonio, which is a pretty rust free zone, and I found 4 for sale total. The most expensive was 2800 dollars. It's going to cost more to ship the drat thing up there than what its worth.

This one is in the Dallas area, and is probably one of the nicest ones left out there. There's a total of 8 on Dallas Craigslist right now.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/d/arlington-2000-ford-explorer-eddie/7301266249.html

They weren't fantastic cars to begin with, and most have been retired at this point.

It's probably worth checking the Phoenix metro area for rust free examples as well, but I don't know how many are left out there either. There were a couple high profile accidents with those and the firestone tires when I lived there, and it soured people on them.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I just miss mine.

Besides the rebuilt transmission I needed it was a solid car with the 4.0. It was comfy, brakes were easy to change oil changes were easy. It was old enough that I didn't care about scratches or dents, I liked having space in the back. Only thing that went wrong in the 3 years that wasn't rust related was a coolant sensor.

A few I saw:
100k miles for $2,995.
98k miles for $3988
115k miles for $4995

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 14, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I had one with those exact wheels in that exact color. But 4 door.

It was a piece of poo poo. Go find one to drive and you'll be reminded that your nostalgia is rose tented.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Motronic posted:

It was a piece of poo poo. Go find one to drive and you'll be reminded that your nostalgia is rose tented.
I just sold it last year. :shrug:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Then I suggest you find better cars to drive so you have a basis for comparison. The were mediocre at best in every way for their time. Now they're 20 years past that time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I sometimes miss terrible abusive situations too. It's why I'm into cars.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Motronic posted:

Then I suggest you find better cars to drive so you have a basis for comparison. The were mediocre at best in every way for their time. Now they're 20 years past that time.
I drive a mustang so thats not happening. :v:

e: I guess I should've posted this in AI stupid questions instead, my bad. I don't need car specific advice just non-local car buying advice.

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 14, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

100%

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Motronic posted:

The were mediocre at best in every way for their time. Now they're 20 years past that time.

I have to remind myself of this everytime I see an SRT-4 for sale. I can't recapture my early 20's by buying an almost 20 year old car. My early 20's weren't even that great...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

skipdogg posted:

I have to remind myself of this everytime I see an SRT-4 for sale. I can't recapture my early 20's by buying an almost 20 year old car. My early 20's weren't even that great...

Same but with DSM cars

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

KillHour posted:

I mean, my whole life has just been a series of terrible abusive situations.

:smith:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

You still have that shed of Land Rover Disco parts?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kilonum posted:

I mean, my whole life has just been a series of terrible abusive situations.

Show us on the doll what Lowtax did to you

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

You still have that shed of Land Rover Disco parts?

Yes. They aren't aging well.

One of them even runs. (but doesn't stop.....no brakes)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

Let’s buy Bronco sports without lockers for 45k. Ford Edge, but edgier

I kind of like the bronco sport, it's got some obviously clearance issue but it looks like it holds its own. But I think I'd rather get a ranger unfortunately the ranger with options moves into the trd offroad price range.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're buying a taco you might as well buy new

if only they weren't 40k new, I'm just twiddling my thumbs hoping by summer prices might come down. but probably not until 2022 at this rate. i'd just rather spend 30k

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 15, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I'm still a few months away from being ready to pull the trigger, but here's what I'm looking at.

Prius (used, preferable by owner, and then take it to my local shop I trust to get a safety check).

Budget. ($8k-12K)

I know that a 2010 (the year of the remodel) is supposed to be a no buy year because of oil leak problems, what other than that, what should I be looking for? I don't want a model C or the V, but basically, something that I can buy and not think much about. I locally don't drive much (think a couple 100 miles a month tops) and then about twice three times a year I go from Oregon to LA or Portland or Vegas. I'm assuming in that budget I can find something solid that lasts me 5-10 years till full EV Honda and Toyota's come out?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

How quickly, and by how much, do new car model MSRP drop?

I'm interested in the RAV4 Prime, will there be any significant price drop in 6months? A year?

https://www.toyota.com/rav4prime/

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think you generally expect to lose about 20% day one, if I recall?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I'm interested in the RAV4 Prime, will there be any significant price drop in 6months? A year?

Edit: misread, thought you were asking about used pricing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

If you're talking about strictly new cars, the MSRP generally doesn't drop at all. The sale price on an individual car can vary depending on the day of the month, the month of the sales year, and economic conditions.

For a used car, here's one site's estimate of the Rav4's depreciation curve:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I was recently in the market, and my impression is that the RAV4 Prime is still pretty limited in availability and fairly high in demand. You'll probably be pretty hard pressed to pay much, if anything, under MSRP. Even the regular hybrids are moving pretty quickly, but definitely a lot easier to come by.

And MSRP never goes down, only transaction prices as models age out and demand drops relative to supply. Combined with the general supply chain fuckery going on right now, for the Prime specifically that could still be a couple years away before they transact for significantly under MSRP unless something changes drastically.

As appealing as the Prime is, I could not justify the price premium for one.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 18, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Deteriorata posted:

If you're talking about strictly new cars, the MSRP generally doesn't drop at all. The sale price on an individual car can vary depending on the day of the month, the month of the sales year, and economic conditions.

For a used car, here's one site's estimate of the Rav4's depreciation curve:

Specifically new car prices go down when the local dealership fucks up local supply signalled by having a relationship with a salesperson and grilling them at month end or quarter end or model year clearance about their stock not moving or if you're really close telling them to call you with month end deals. Or when the manufacturer fucks up global supply signalled by widely advertised rebates or incentives somewhere mid to end model year.

Like everyone is saying hybrid CUV is enough buzz words combined with global electronics fuckery that you're probably not gonna get coupons on a RAV4 prime this year.

If it gets bad enough the 2-3 year used are gonna sell very near new MSRP like ye olde hybrids.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
It seems like manufacturers have gotten somewhat better at managing production & inventory so they don't have to put monster rebates on the hood of every unsold car at the end of the model year. Throw Covid-19 and semiconductor shortages on top of that and it seems like a seller's market now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Number_6 posted:

It seems like manufacturers have gotten somewhat better at managing production & inventory so they don't have to put monster rebates on the hood of every unsold car at the end of the model year. Throw Covid-19 and semiconductor shortages on top of that and it seems like a seller's market now.

the first part is absolutely not true. perhaps marginally but end of model year or take delivery from inventory aged over X is still extremely common.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Number_6 posted:

I don't think Honda or Toyota were ever bad at managing inventory to the point where they needed monster rebates. That's half the reason for their hgiher resale values. Different story for GM or Chrysler though.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

My wife and I are looking to get a half ton pickup to tow a camping trailer. We are looking to spend around $20k give or take a few thousand, so our options are somewhat limited, but we think we've found three that could work. I'm hoping to get some direction on which to go with, as well as some ideas on what we should be paying (so that we know what we need to negotiate to). We're in Western Washington.

1) 2005 5.4 F-150 Lariat with 78k miles. We test drove it and it felt fine to drive, but we're worried about the age and brand (we both prefer Japanese). Sticker is $21,999.

2) 2010 Nissan Titan with 88k miles. Haven't seen this vehicle in person yet since it's being brought in from another lot to the dealership we were at today, hope to see it this week. Sticker is $23,999.

3) 2015 2007 Toyota Tundra with 140k miles. We were a little worried about the miles, but it is at a reputable local dealer. Hoping to test drive tomorrow. Sticker was $18,500.

Edit: My wife remember the Tundra's year wrong, and it was a 2007 when I checked the dealers website to look for it again.

Mef989 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Mef989 posted:

2) 2010 Nissan Titan with 88k miles. Haven't seen this vehicle in person yet since it's being brought in from another lot to the dealership we were at today, hope to see it this week. Sticker is $23,999.

No. Bad Mef. BAD!

The Titan is junk. The Tundra, if maintained and non-rusty is a good bet.