Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got a Dell streak for free because my company ordered 10 trillion Dell laptops. still wasn’t worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

not knowing if system instability was because of these or bad caps because someone stole a formula and lol apparently the rumor is that was stolen again

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

i remember seeing a guy with the original galaxy note on the bus and being aghast at the size. it looked dumb as poo poo, like he was talking on a paperback book.

samsung actually cancelled the note line, so at least one of those two companies has realized the error of their ways

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

carry on then posted:

samsung actually cancelled the note line, so at least one of those two companies has realized the error of their ways

was it canceled because of the exploding batteries? like how does your product recover from worldwide YOU CANT HAVE THIS ON AN AIRPLANE

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

The Galaxy Note reminded me of the weirdest Thinkpad:

The IBM TransNote. The pad of paper had some kind of digitizer that stored an image of whatever you wrote, and the screen was a touchscreen. I think it cost more than three grand new.

(Sent from my Samsung™ Galaxy Note 8)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fart Sandwiches posted:

was it canceled because of the exploding batteries? like how does your product recover from worldwide YOU CANT HAVE THIS ON AN AIRPLANE

they just rolled it into the main phone line. you can buy a model of the s21 that supports their s pen now so why bother making a whole separate line

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

and cyrix processors!

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

psiox posted:

and cyrix processors!
CyrixInstead

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sagebrush posted:

i remember seeing a guy with the original galaxy note on the bus and being aghast at the size. it looked dumb as poo poo, like he was talking on a paperback book.

When I worked at Sarnsung ten years ago and we were working on the S Tab (or as we called it the rear end Tab), we joked about how we should put a boombox picture on the 10" one and carry it on a bus blasting music. What was fun was that the SoC it used for the data plan version naturally also supported voice telephony under the hood, so we had 10" screen phones to call each other with if you changed a firmware build flag.

I remember dismissing the 7" phablet as a cruel joke they were playing on the world, when now I genuinely wish for a decent 7" tablet as a bedside device after using my Nexus 7 forever.

When the Galaxy S etc were all coming out, I asked my skip manager if they realized that Apple was just going to sue the poo poo out of them because the copying was so on the nose, but was told not to worry because it was the lawyers' problem and the design teams' bed to lay in. Turns out I was right and so was he.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OG style smartphones just feel tiny now, like a 4" screen is a baby phone for babies with tiny baby hands.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Some tech director for Google or Motorola or something trying to get people to publicly describe Android and iPhones circa like 2009 as Superphones to differentiate them from smart phones, because they were such a leap again from what smart phones were from ye olde cellphonees of yore

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Being stoked at the transformational use of ssh on my O.G. G1 to connect to a screen session of irssi or to janitor my web site, while in the back seat of a car

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Visual Source Safe, and the use therein at my first job out of college because the tech lead didn't "trust" merging, by my new grad rear end who didn't know any better, because source control was (and still is) considered ancillary to the purposes of computer science.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

was trying to find the pissflaps sarnsung tweet but found this intead

https://www.amazon.co.uk/piss-flaps-Samsung-Galaxy-Plastic/dp/B010QQQR2W

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Carthag Tuek posted:

hell yeah the only way to play

“draw a really detailed obscenity and then write the word below it” was a popular isketch strategy too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Volmarias posted:

I remember dismissing the 7" phablet as a cruel joke they were playing on the world, when now I genuinely wish for a decent 7" tablet as a bedside device after using my Nexus 7 forever.

the ~7 inch tablet form factor is really great for flying because it fits perfectly on a kneeboard. you can't see charts squinting at your phone and the 10 inch ipads are too big for a small cockpit imo.

in all other situations it's awkward, though. too big to hand-hold and too small for a grandmaputer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Some tech director for Google or Motorola or something trying to get people to publicly describe Android and iPhones circa like 2009 as Superphones to differentiate them from smart phones, because they were such a leap again from what smart phones were from ye olde cellphonees of yore

nvidia tried very hard to make this stick when tegra was first a thing and their pr people would get upset when i mocked them for it at every opportunity when we talked

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

was it a verizon commercial with the bit about your wife loving the new tegra cores or something like that the last 10 years feel like a fever dream

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

they were known as phablets then right

it kinda predated the ‘everyone is on their phone 90% of the day’ cultural shift tho

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

they were known as phablets then right

it kinda predated the ‘everyone is on their phone 90% of the day’ cultural shift tho

yea

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
which bad ipad competitor had the most laffs

the playbook, which you couldn’t use without a blackberry linked up
the touchpad, which was actually good except for the part about hp and leo
the original samsung tab 7, which cost as much as an ipad, and also when they used “units shipped” as a metric showing that it was extremely popular
the dell steak for reasons above
the hp tablet that ran full windows 7 and had a ctrl alt delete button

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The tab 7 but only because I worked on it, and somehow wasn't anywhere near the worst person writing the firmware for it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

which bad ipad competitor had the most laffs

the playbook, which you couldn’t use without a blackberry linked up
the touchpad, which was actually good except for the part about hp and leo
the original samsung tab 7, which cost as much as an ipad, and also when they used “units shipped” as a metric showing that it was extremely popular
the dell steak for reasons above
the hp tablet that ran full windows 7 and had a ctrl alt delete button

the playbook worked fine without a blackberry, though you didn't get messenger without one, i don't think. i got a free one and and used it for media because the speakers were good. this was also, for the time, a plus about the touchpad. i feel like the steak was also thick, but maybe i've been apple poisoned all phones were thicccc at the time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i also got a free playbook and it was a nice piece of hardware that did absolutely nothing useful. its number one selling point was that it ran !FLASH! and it came out like five months before apple announced that they would never support flash on ios, instantly putting it on death row.

i still have it, but it may not work any more because of the bug where if the battery got heavily discharged the charger circuitry would shut down and you could never charge it again.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah tbh i browsed the web pretty well and hilariously actually did flash decently especially considering it was a tablet. but flash was terrible and they clearly spent a bunch of money doing it as the anti apple and it was just such a dumb movt

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

well i for one approve

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

wasn't the process for becoming a developer for the Bb playbook more involved and invasive than like applying to grad school too

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

mediaphage posted:

the playbook worked fine without a blackberry, though you didn't get messenger without one, i don't think. i got a free one and and used it for media because the speakers were good. this was also, for the time, a plus about the touchpad. i feel like the steak was also thick, but maybe i've been apple poisoned all phones were thicccc at the time

ar the beginning you couldn’t use messenger or email without a blackberry

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh yeah i forgot about the email since i never hooked up exchange to it and just use web stuff

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

At the end, they decided to create an emulation layer so that you could run Android apps on your BB tablet, since no one wanted to write for it. They got developers to work with them by the interesting strategy of "emailing every play store app contact address and begging" which sadly did not appear to work out for them.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

and of course all those blackberry tablets in a warehouse somewhere bricked themselves when their batteries ran down

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0cm-u-z8Kc

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

mediaphage posted:

oh yeah i forgot about the email since i never hooked up exchange to it and just use web stuff

it couldn't hook up to exchange either, still needed a loving BES at that point

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

so many dumb moves. it really could have been fine imo because as mentioned the hardware was totally ok for the time

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

There was absolutely no use case for a tablet that only ran non-existent Blackberry apps and had a significant chance of become permadead if you forgot to plug it in for a weekend, when it cost exactly as much as the equivalently specced iPad or Samsung. If you bought one for $50 after it was shitcanned then sure.

"Technically it was a functional electronic device some of the time" yeah ok

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

was it the xoom tablet or the blackberry that came with a sim slot saying LTE COMING SOON in it

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

was it the xoom tablet or the blackberry that came with a sim slot saying LTE COMING SOON in it

The Xoom. The first and second tablet I owned, and I didn't realize how heavy it was until I tried to pick up someone's tablet of some different brand and almost flipped it off the table because it was so light. I bought both of them as cheap refurbs, the first one had the "LTE COMING SOON" plastic insert in the SIM slot.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

meat sweats posted:

There was absolutely no use case for a tablet that only ran non-existent Blackberry apps and had a significant chance of become permadead if you forgot to plug it in for a weekend, when it cost exactly as much as the equivalently specced iPad or Samsung. If you bought one for $50 after it was shitcanned then sure.

yeah but that was still the era of people saying "why does anyone need an ipad when these are perfectly fine? steve jobs stealing another idea from bill gates!!!"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

meat sweats posted:

you’re really misreading my point here which was that compared to a lot of devices at the time the hardware was great. the software sucked which is why it was a failure. normally non ipads had lovely hardware and lovely software both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mediaphage posted:

you’re really misreading my point here which was that compared to a lot of devices at the time the hardware was great. the software sucked which is why it was a failure. normally non ipads had lovely hardware and lovely software both.

is that not still the case?