Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

He really wants to get that career 2pt% under 20

https://twitter.com/BadgerMBB/status/1382378346076635138

Everyone who wanted to give players an extra year because the tournament got canceled can go to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

PotatoJudge posted:

He really wants to get that career 2pt% under 20

https://twitter.com/BadgerMBB/status/1382378346076635138

Hopefully someone knocks his block off next year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
This dude had real Duke fuckhead floorslap potential but they were just so bad this year nobody could get worked up about anything. Now we’ll never know. https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/1382406562938040326?s=21

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Somewhat expected, but Michigan folks really wanted this one to happen:

https://twitter.com/umichbball/status/1382433850261929987

Wagner/Livers/Smith/Brown are all going pro, and there's no tested Point Guard on the roster (though hella talent), so there might not be a big falloff. Michigan was pretty hot garbage when Eli wasn't out there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

elentar posted:

This dude had real Duke fuckhead floorslap potential but they were just so bad this year nobody could get worked up about anything. Now we’ll never know. https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/1382406562938040326?s=21

They wasted him so bad last year. No clue if he's going to get much of an nba look but he's a crazy good shooter

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1382456613689307136?s=19

Arizona is a great job but still pretty unexpected, he had it in his contract that he'd take over for Few and had turned down jobs before. He's been with few basically the whole time and most notably ran their international recruiting which is really where they built the program and is a thing Arizona has had some recent success with too

He just did a big profile with the athletic I think it was which in hindsight was probably him trying to get his name out for something like this

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 14, 2021

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Makes sense. Few is only 58 and will probably retire there. I guess Lloyd is 12 years younger but still.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't really know how to feel about this. The coaching search was so poorly done, and Lloyd was clearly the hire from the start, that it made the whole thing feel insulting and it made the black coaches who interviewed feel like tokens, and the fact that Pastner was named plan B almost had me angry. But this is the type of person I'd probably like to be hired, if I trusted the judgement of the person doing the hiring more.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's a great hire for Arizona

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

curried lamb of God posted:

https://twitter.com/kyleredwards_/status/1382389951833202692?s=20

Got some much-needed backcourt leadership, since Jarreau and Grimes are leaving

This is such a strange back-and-forth. He was in the portal when Beard bailed, then back off when Adams was hired, then back in the portal a few days later.

He needs to be used as a catch-and-shoot guard, I think. He can hit at a high rate when he doesn't over think things, but he's very disappointing when he tries to create for himself.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston already has Marcus Sasser for the catch and shoot kind of guard so I guess UH will be even more all-in on the volume 3-ball and rebounding next year. I know that's the way basketball is going but I'd think at some point you'd have to be able to go inside on days the shots don't fall...

UH fans also seem to think Miller Kopp from Northwestern will transfer in, I guess because his brother Maddox is on the football team?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
https://twitter.com/JoeyBrunk/status/1383579410704470019

Decent pickup for the Buckeyes, he'll provide some depth at the post. Does he have 1 or 2 years left? If he has 2, will he want to use them? He's got to be pushing 30 at this point.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
OSU needs bodies inside but that dude apparently being super in demand was very weird to me. He was never anything special at Butler and then last year he didn't really do much for a team that really needed a second big.

He'd only have the one year, this was his fourth so he's just using the extra year they gave everyone

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i would like to see joey brunk match up with jack nunge

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

MourningView posted:

OSU needs bodies inside but that dude apparently being super in demand was very weird to me. He was never anything special at Butler and then last year he didn't really do much for a team that really needed a second big.

He'd only have the one year, this was his fourth so he's just using the extra year they gave everyone

I thought he was hurt this year. I forgot that he's been around long enough Holtmann originally recruited him to Butler.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
CJ Frederick is in the portal and is going to wind up at Kentucky. Sucks real bad for Iowa who really needs to find size and shooting in the portal now somehow or we"re gonna be the worst team in the Big Ten. Big pick up for UK, one of the best shooters in the country.

Can't blame CJ for wanting to go home and play for what was probably a dream school but does seem like Kentucky was pretty much recruiting him while he wasn't in the portal yet which is kinda lovely, not that anything will come from it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Is antigua going back to Kentucky as well? If he brings Curbelo with I am going to vomit.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

Can't blame CJ for wanting to go home and play for what was probably a dream school but does seem like Kentucky was pretty much recruiting him while he wasn't in the portal yet which is kinda lovely, not that anything will come from it.

Yeah, it's really apparent that this is happening all over the place and the NCAA doesn't give a poo poo.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Gonzaga getting five-star one-and-dones takes some adjustment but not as much as the likely #1 pick of a future NBA Draft being named Chet

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

elentar posted:

Gonzaga getting five-star one-and-dones takes some adjustment but not as much as the likely #1 pick of a future NBA Draft being named Chet

he's not going to be the number 1 pick but he's still a crazy good pull for gonzaga

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah, it's really apparent that this is happening all over the place and the NCAA doesn't give a poo poo.

if you don't want your dudes poached then maybe don't have good players that anyone wants on your team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm gonna steal boo bouie and the shittier nance child and then we'll see who is laughing

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

MourningView posted:

CJ Frederick is in the portal and is going to wind up at Kentucky. Sucks real bad for Iowa who really needs to find size and shooting in the portal now somehow or we"re gonna be the worst team in the Big Ten. Big pick up for UK, one of the best shooters in the country.

This has been rumored for a while but looks like it's actually happening. No idea about the contact part, but like others I wouldn't be surprised if it happens a lot. Seems like quite a few players seem to already have a destination in mind when the enter the portal.

Kentucky seems to be mentioned with just about every guard that enters the portal. They already got Kellen Grady from Davidson. They've already spoken with De'Vion Harmon and Mac McClung, were heavily involved with Justin Powell, and Marcus Carr and Adam Miller have both been mentioned as possibilities. Outside shooting and consistent point guard play is what they were missing last year, and they seems to be going to the portal to address that.

gvibes posted:

Is antigua going back to Kentucky as well? If he brings Curbelo with I am going to vomit.

There's rumblings about this too. A coaching spot would need to open up, and I don't foresee anyone getting fired, but Joel Justus or potentially Tony Barbee could be looking for head coaching jobs. I would love to have Antigua back.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Early contact seems inevitable with more permissive transfer rules. People break the rules when recruiting coming out of high school, don't see why that would be any different transferring in college. Same incentives exist.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kentucky also linked to Tyty and I feel like Kansas needs him more

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

were heavily involved with Justin Powell
Any ~insider info~ from the Kentucky end about why he didn't end up there? Or why he left Auburn in the first place -- it's been assumed that he just had a really lovely year with the concussion not only preventing him from playing but completely disrupting his life for weeks and going closer to home made sense but nobody's reported anything more specific.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Any ~insider info~ from the Kentucky end about why he didn't end up there? Or why he left Auburn in the first place -- it's been assumed that he just had a really lovely year with the concussion not only preventing him from playing but completely disrupting his life for weeks and going closer to home made sense but nobody's reported anything more specific.

Only thing I heard was he was waiting to see if the SEC was going to drop their intra-conference one year sit out period to align with the NCAA's rule before making a decision, and Kentucky got Grady in the meantime, so Powell went another direction (but still in conference, anyway). No idea if there was anything else behind the scenes. I know fans were excited to possibly get another kid from Kentucky on the roster, but looks like we might end up with that in Fredrick anyway.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

I fuckin hope not, need Josh Whitman/Brad Underwood (not sure who would actually decide there tbh) to give him a raise to keep him around.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Miller kopp is a Hoosier now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lol

https://twitter.com/UIowaCompliance/status/1384605659010830336?s=19

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Aggies have had 8 players enter the portal so far, including last year's leading scorer, seems weird.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Huh had missed that we were even in this
https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/1384628280637149186

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
so i swear i'm not actually mad about the fredrick thing kids should be able to transfer wherever they want as many times as they want especially if they're not going to get paid etc etc

but also, once again, lol

https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_ATH/status/1237043007234486274?s=19

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Orlando Antigua to Kentucky seems all but official at this point. Hearing Chin Coleman is also on his way out, possibly (likely?) to Kentucky as well. Cool. Cool cool cool.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Wonder if Adam Miller will follow him?

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

americanzero4128 posted:

Orlando Antigua to Kentucky seems all but official at this point. Hearing Chin Coleman is also on his way out, possibly (likely?) to Kentucky as well. Cool. Cool cool cool.

Jeff Goodman reporting Tony Barbee is the frontrunner for the Central Michigan job, which opens up the spot. From Kentucky side it doesn't sound certain Coleman will follow Antigua, so you may be good there.

I'm excited about Antigua coming back. He was probably the best recruiter in the early Cal years. Between him leaving and other schools going after one and dones, UK hasn't been to a final four since. Not saying correlation equals causation, but

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Antigua is an elite recruiter. Losing him sucks, but I heard he's getting a hell of a raise, so I can't blame him or anything for getting paid while he can. Sucks that we may be losing both our top recruiters in the same off-season. Hard to replace that.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Yeah, very good recruiter, and probably a better big man coach.

Not sure what happened at South Florida.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Trey Alexander unexpectedly decommitted from Auburn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Tony Barbee is taking the Central Michigan job as expected. Joel Justus is taking an assistant coach job at Arizona St. So there are 2 jobs open at Kentucky. Antigua will be one, not sure on the other as it seems like Coleman will stay at Illinois. Barbee was not in one of the three assistant positions so they don't necessarily have to replace him at all.