Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elviscat posted:

The stairs are going to be welded steel, with floating wooden treads.

It's my one really stupid absolute splurge on materials for this project, I want it to be a really cool centerpiece to this part of the house.

Oh, right, I remember that now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Elviscat posted:

The stairs are going to be welded steel, with floating wooden treads.

It's my one really stupid absolute splurge on materials for this project, I want it to be a really cool centerpiece to this part of the house.

Are you fabricating all that yourself or getting the kit from one of those stair/railing companies?

I'm eager to see those when it's done, we flirted with doing it for our place (which we're gonna have to sell bc my husband finally got an overseas post 6 months after we bought it) but price was prohibitive in our case.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm fabricating it all myself, I looked into kits and, yeah, cost prohibitive is right.

I'm in it for about $2,600 right now in steel, wood, and consumables, $1,200 in steel, $1,400 in wood treads reclaimed from old beams.

Railing parts and paint haven't been purchased yet.

Kinda like when I made the railing myself, materials+welder and consumables and tools<prefab kit. So now you have a "free" welder and an end product.

A lot of my motivation to do it this way is also that I'm enjoying hobbyist welding a lot, and it's a chance to practice and explore that while doing something productive.

E: as far as longevity on this place goes, I know I'm gonna own it for another 2 years minimum, after that it's a crapshoot.

Whatever skills and knowledge I gain now will hopefully go into another house, built from the ground up, that'll have a lot more longevity.

It'll be hard to sell though, I love this plot of land, and I'm attached to the house through sheer Stockholm Syndrome and time spent on remodeling.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 22, 2021

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I definitely get the Stockholm Syndrome. We bought our place in August and were trucking along, but an old repair on my hip started falling apart and threw a wrench into the whole thing. If everything goes right, we'll have the place finished just in time to sell it, so hopefully the renters of whatever real estate "investor" rear end in a top hat who buys it will really appreciate the thoughtful kitchen and dining room I designed and built.

I haven't cooked in a kitchen since we left our apartment :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

You actually use your 14in cutoff? Might just be me but I was very disappointed in mine, I haven't used it since I got my bandsaw.

I'm annoyed that the actual "metal saws" are significantly more expensive than a chop saw, despite running at a slower speed. And you can't put a metal saw blade on the chop saw because of the speed.

Elviscat posted:

My only bandsaw is a broken porta-band, so it's the chopsaw or an angle grinder, angle grinder works fine, but the saw is more repeatable, and makes a more uniform cut.

You, sir, need one of these:
https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Portaband-Tables-Accessories_c_35.html

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

BonerGhost posted:

I definitely get the Stockholm Syndrome. We bought our place in August and were trucking along, but an old repair on my hip started falling apart and threw a wrench into the whole thing. If everything goes right, we'll have the place finished just in time to sell it, so hopefully the renters of whatever real estate "investor" rear end in a top hat who buys it will really appreciate the thoughtful kitchen and dining room I designed and built.

I haven't cooked in a kitchen since we left our apartment :(

That hurts :(

Darchangel posted:

I'm annoyed that the actual "metal saws" are significantly more expensive than a chop saw, despite running at a slower speed. And you can't put a metal saw blade on the chop saw because of the speed.

You, sir, need one of these:
https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Portaband-Tables-Accessories_c_35.html

I think the metal cutting chop saws (blade not abrasive) are built like brick shithouses, explaining the cost. They make an awful racket too.

Fixing the portaband and getting a table for it are future problems. For now I have the chopsaw and 4 angle grinders.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Work kicked my loving rear end this week, so no progress until today, got both the lower stringers done, should have contoured them where they meet the downposts from the landing, trying to fill the gap the curve in the tubing creates while climb welding is a loving nightmare, and honestly beyond my abilities.

I can climb on the stringers and jump up and down and it shakes the wall, not any of the metal bits, so I'll call that good enough and buy some more grinding wheels.

Getting the angles figured.

A halfway decent bead.

Attachment to the landing.

Wider shot, you can see that I trimmed the downposts to match the angle of the risers, I was thinking of welding a plate on the bottom, but I don't really see a need, structurally or aesthetically.

Front view

Much more welding and grinding to come.

E:

If you look closely.at the third picture you can see that the last 3 inches of the inboard stringer are shiny, that's because I'm an idiot loving moron, and cut it from memory without double checking my spreadsheet for dimensions. So I got to butt weld a 3 inch repair in, it's nothing short of a miracle that it doesn't look like complete poo poo.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 28, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Triple post.

https://i.imgur.com/iO78PG5.gifv

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Opened the ceiling above the stairs for real today.

The wall is bowing out concerningly where the studs are seat cut to support the floor joists. *sigh* I'll find some way to reinforce that later.

I made my nebulous air hose/clothesline/water pipe less nebulous.

Those stubs are going to be left bitter for whenever I get around to putting a new bathroom in upstairs.

I coulda planned/routed all that neater, I probably shouldn't do plumbing in the evening when I need to get my water back on.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Bedroom feeling.... airy.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

Bedroom feeling.... airy.

Ah, going for the open concept bathroom?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Just have to get a little running start so you make it, it's trendy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Gaze into the void, and the void gazes back.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Dykem's such a pretty shade of purpley blue.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

1st long stringer in.

Held up by 1 very robust welding magnet.

As welded in as it's going to get tonight.

I was welding until 10pm, my neighbors for sure think I have a turbo meth lab/grow op going on.

A good face to greet the cops with.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

"What year is it?! Did we win at Guadalcanal?"

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!

Elviscat posted:

1st long stringer in.

Held up by 1 very robust welding magnet.

As welded in as it's going to get tonight.

I was welding until 10pm, my neighbors for sure think I have a turbo meth lab/grow op going on.

“Sir, we’ve had reports of intense screaming and a lot of late-night construction. We can see over your shoulder that a LOT of floorboards seem to have been recently replaced. What’s with the lack of stairs? Are you trying to keep people from going up or coming down?”

“I am not protected.”

“Alright, Johnson, he’s just an eccentric. Let’s go.”

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Main structure of the stairs is pretty much done, all welded up and whatnot.

Sadly I think this'll be my best climb-weld bead of the whole attempt, but I'm also pretty sure you could rip the walls the stairs are attached to down before you broke the welds, so oh well.

Drywallers have been contracted for some time in the first two weeks of May, so I better get my rear end in gear.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

In insane COVID shortages news, it's now impossible to buy a new 7¼" wormdrive Skilsaw with the magnesium shoe.

I'm filling in some tools holes because my ex roomate's coming to pick his poo poo up soon, and I had to buy a used one off Ebay.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Ugly welds can still be strong, don't worry about it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

True, thank you.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm draggin rear end, bouncing between projects, unfocused, I need to be ready for drywall in the next three weeks, it's gonna be tight.

Anyways, things that aren't technically an issue, but are going to bug me literally forever:

Every different size switch box is a different type.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

First step is mocked up/dry fit, looks like my idea for welded pegs will work fine.

I don't think I'll glue these until after drywall, don't want em getting messed up, I'll probably strap some scrap dimensional lumber in place as temporary steps, but I wanted to validate the process.

My super awesome drilling jig.

Setting the pins level and straight and level with each other is a huge PITA, very finicky, involves holding the pin level with my hand, tacking off with the MIG, banging around with a hammer, tacking off better, then finally coming in with the stick and setting it in its final position.

It's really hard to cut an oblique enough angle on the rod I'm making the pins out of, but that's okay, with a slightly shallower angle I can get a 3/32" rod behind it and fill the whole back of the pin with weld material.

E: rough sketch of the lighting arrangement, this place is going to be lit up like daylight.

Or not since everything will be on dimmers, also tons of 3 and 4 way switches, since almost everything in every room will be switchable from almost every entrance to that room.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 10, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Pro-tip.

If you're pulling an air cleaner out of the box, and drop it, don't catch it, especially don't get your finger between the falling sheet metal box and a chair back.

I'm gonna guess this trip to urgent care's gonna suck my productivity for the rest of the day.

E:

Possibly :nms:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Aaannnnnd, fixed.

:nms:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
OOF.

We had a LOT of training in our machine shop about "never try to catch ANYTHING". They didn't care what it was, if it started falling, just get out of the way.

It's definitely a natural reflex, though, and even as safety-conscious as I was, I still did it from time to time.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I normally have pretty good "pull fingers the gently caress away" instincts from my job as a mechanic, and crushing my hands under valves and 100lb blocks of inconel and poo poo, I guess they only kick in with things I don't own, and not in my own kitchen.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elviscat posted:

I normally have pretty good "pull fingers the gently caress away" instincts from my job as a mechanic, and crushing my hands under valves and 100lb blocks of inconel and poo poo, I guess they only kick in with things I don't own, and not in my own kitchen.

lmao, yeah, I hear that :v:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What dimmer switches are you going to use? I've got some Leviton ones (only wired in one so far) and the wall switch has a nice form factor IMO and I haven't had any problems with the phone app either (although they recently made a UI change that makes adjusting the dimmer take longer to access).

Dissolvable stitches or do you need to have them removed later? I have fond memories as a child rehabbing my thumb in warm salt water after the tip almost got severed in a door.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zarin posted:

OOF.

We had a LOT of training in our machine shop about "never try to catch ANYTHING". They didn't care what it was, if it started falling, just get out of the way.

It's definitely a natural reflex, though, and even as safety-conscious as I was, I still did it from time to time.

Yep, I have a nice scar on my hand where I learned that lesson in a professional kitchen too. Let falling knives fall.

Sorry about your stitches Elviscat, hope it heals up soon!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep, I have a nice scar on my hand where I learned that lesson in a professional kitchen too. Let falling knives fall.

Sorry about your stitches Elviscat, hope it heals up soon!

I've got a bit of a missing finger tip from when I was a fish monger, those knives are sharp.

Thanks! Should be about a full week until it's healed up. Until then I'm using a hammer like an English Gentleman.

Until it stops leaking I can't fit my finger in any of my work gloves because of the dressing, so I'm wearing a nitrile glove over one of these.

Only time in my life I've had to use the big version of something that looks like that :haw:

Here's some love notes I found today, they're significantly older than I am, and I think date the second floor expansion.

Just kinda hung out with my brother and shot the poo poo and pulled wire today, got about 1/3 of the wiring done.

The weather here is ludicrously nice, I go on vacation tomorrow, and it's gonna be a struggle to work on the house instead of laying out on my deck and drinking beer all day.

E: drilling holes in the walls I found 2 studs that I had just set in the wall and never screwed/nailed down, whoops.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

First flight of steps are almost done.

I devised a jig so I could stop holding the pegs in my hand and tacking them off with the mig.

Progress

They're coming out pretty good, fitment on the same drilled tread is good on all of them.

It's taking me about an hour a step, about 75% of that is cutting and leveling, cutting round stock at the required angle is a pain, it likes to bend blades/wheels.

Goal is to walk up to my bedroom tomorrow instead of using a ladder.

Next week I want electrical and interior HVAC done so I can call for inspection.

Week after that I'm looking to rent an excavator and get outside HVAC and drainage complete, maybe even start siding.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ok, I give up.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

Ok, I give up.

Hell yes. I love those and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had the right project.

Why are you using solid rod for the tread supports and not tubing?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I was worried tubing that was small enough to insert into the treads would be too bendy, and prices were comparable. It's way easier to weld without cutting a precision angle on the rod too, since I can just jam a stick back there and fill the gap with weld.

Also like all my "good ideas" I ordered everything for it after sitting around drinking all night.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well, too late now to change. Tubing and rods resist bending about equally. That material in the middle doesn't provide much strength.

Edit OK not equally... I found a little calculator online though and 1/8" wall 1 inch tubing resists a 1000lb load at 6 inches with a safety factor of 3, vs a SF of 5 at 1/4" wall vs 10 for a rod. 2" was a hell of a lot stronger, and closer in strength.

I support your drunken design.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 14, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well I didn't get them finished, didn't feel like suiting back up after dinner, made progress though, and all the pegs are cut.

This bandsaw kicks rear end, 16 cuts in 1" hot roll and the battery still shows full charge.

Progress:

I turned my attention to fixing this skilsaw I got on Ebay, and OF COURSE they chowdered that bolt to poo poo tightening it to 1,000 ftlbs, I had to remove the guard and I still couldn't get the drat thing out with a pair of 8" vice grips, so I had to resort to some egregious poo poo.

The bolt says "off" and has a drat arrow on it.

E: taking tomorrow off and riding dirt bikes.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 15, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well, life and work stuff has slowed me down, and taking advantage of a rare lovely week in the PNW spring.

But today was the last day I had to climb an incredibly sketchy ladder to reach my bedroom.

Now I can simply take the incredibly sketchy stairs with no railing and temporary undersized treads!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What the gently caress did they do to that poor bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I literally don't know if this house is structurally sound enough to continue.

Like I am seriously considering selling this house for next to nothing and giving up.

E: maybe I'm just freaking out, idk, I have no idea how to make this right.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 23, 2021