Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

the yeti posted:

At one time at least there was also a lot of talk about fall danger (either the fall itself or a leg getting caught and popping off) for adult tarantulas which I think informed a lot of cramped enclosures. With slings I think it's fairly legit that their ability to find prey you offer + moisture concerns make a small container sensible?

Goons i got the fuckin itch again. Where do cool kids get their tarantulas these days, I haven't bought one in a decade or better.

I'm not good to ask because mine is coming from some rando breeder in Florida but I probably should've gone through these guys:

https://fearnottarantulas.com/

seems very legit and thorough, make sure you read the whole LAG guarantee though, those always have a lot of fine print

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I got my GBB from https://www.jamiestarantulas.com/

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

isopod doing a tiny cronch

https://i.imgur.com/rNm0YmG.mp4

when it's really quiet in here I can hear the little chomping noises :kimchi:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

There's barely anything I love more than the quiet sound of isopods or roaches chewing on a little snack :swoon:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I thought that was an entire hunk of cheese at first until I realized how everything in that picture has to be. From the side it looks a bit like a wedge of parmesan.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Your new spider may be reclusive and nervous after travelling.

My new spider after travelling:

(I got them out of the cup with only one heart-attack-inducing break for freedom)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Do you have to replace LED UV regularly like tube bulbs?

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005
Sigh. I think today is the day my campground rescue ball python will pass.

Henry's 2 weeks into IV antibiotics for an RI and only getting worse. Poor thing is reduced to laying stationary and breathing heavily with his mouth hanging open.

Sorry little dude, for the couple months I had you, you were a great friend.

inputfailed fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 20, 2021

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

mango sentinel posted:

Do you have to replace LED UV regularly like tube bulbs?

They should last a good deal longer, but they do burn out eventually.

High wattage lamps in particular, make sure they have adequate cooling.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

inputfailed posted:

Henry's 2 weeks into IV antibiotics for an RI and only getting worse. Poor thing is reduced to laying stationary and breathing heavily with his mouth hanging open.

That sucks, man, and I am sorry. You gave him somewhere good to live for as long as he had.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

inputfailed posted:

Yeah, he was incredibly lucky you found him all things considered. You did good.

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005
He's made it through the day, and even seems to be feeling a bit better... He definitely hasn't given up yet!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

You've got at least several hundred legs rooting for you two over here

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I'm rooting for the little camping trooper, but even if he takes a turn for the worse, you gave him a good home and that's all you could really ask for.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
SHelled out (no pun intended) $55 for a new platform for my turtle. This one is 100% acrylic (even the screws and nuts) and hangs from the edge of the tank instead of attempting to float. Finally something that can support an adult turtle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
He/she really seems to be enjoying that heat lamp.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Post a pic of turt swimming

Some pics of Blue, plus her terrarium.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 28, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

SHelled out (no pun intended) $55 for a new platform for my turtle. This one is 100% acrylic (even the screws and nuts) and hangs from the edge of the tank instead of attempting to float. Finally something that can support an adult turtle.

nice, I went through so much bullshit coming up with solutions for my Eastern Painteds. From hanging rigs built out of 1/4” pvc pipe with ikea cutting board platforms bent into ramps that they couldn’t scramble onto, to my current setup, where I superglued some of those floating Zoo Med docks to bases made out of 4” PVC elbow pieces

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!

MillennialVulcan posted:

Post a pic of turt swimming

Some pics of Blue, plus her terrarium.

Oh she’s beautiful!! What a gorgeous chonky amphibian.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

My girlfriend has a painted turtle and we are wondering if maybe she (the turtle) looks overweight. I've looked up feeding recommendations online and she definitely has been feeding too much (1-2x a day) and does not feed the turtle vegetables at all (she says turtle will not eat veggies).

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Machai posted:

My girlfriend has a painted turtle and we are wondering if maybe she (the turtle) looks overweight. I've looked up feeding recommendations online and she definitely has been feeding too much (1-2x a day) and does not feed the turtle vegetables at all (she says turtle will not eat veggies).

Although I am not a turtle expert I know that having the skin bulge out around where the limbs retract is a sure sign that our friend is eating a bit more than they ought to. The painted turtle will have a better time with a more balanced diet, perhaps fewer feedings, and definitely some better exercise opportunities.

Edit: Listen to the goon who has had turtles over me. I'll leave this here just in case, but I defer to more practiced herp keepers.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 2, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Machai posted:

what’s she feeding?

none of the painteds that I’ve had have ever been good veggie/fruit eaters. I’ve done well by coaxing them onto pellets or wet food that they like, in terms of getting them to eat healthy.

I really like the Mazuri aquatic turtle diet, and my painteds appear to like it too. I also trust Mazuri as a food brand. I’ve had much more mixed success with other kinds of processed turtle foods, the black soldierfly-based stuff has been hit-or-miss (but I want it to work because it looks particularly nutritious), and “buffet blend” type meals tend to encourage too much selective eating and the pellets are never anybody’s favorite.

I’ve found that painteds can be pretty stubborn eaters. They all tend to love dried red shrimp, and often tend to selectively eat them if tossed in with less appetizing but more healthy stuff like pellets. It takes some training over weeks and the selection of a good food that they like and will readily eat.

I also feed bugs (I need to get better about this)- I currently just buy them canned because :effort: and roommate. I also like to feed diced fish (cod and tilapia can be had for very cheap), occasional raw or cooked unseasoned shrimp, and the rare canned tuna (in water only) treat.

It can take weeks to train painteds to accept a varied diet but it’s super worth it for their long term health. My current pair were rescues from a school and it took a long time to get them off of pretty much exclusively eating 1) dried red shrimp 2) one specific lovely pellet blend.

I feed 3-4x/week. I also pretty much didn’t feed at all during winter, though they were offered food when they were awake numerous times (they were up and basking pretty much all of Feb but weren’t particularly hungry I guess). I currently have them in a colder part of the house that got into the low 50s during winter so they hibernated eagerly and seemed to do good North American turtle behavior.

Edit: also- this is longshot stuff, but if your girlfriend’s turtle is an adult female (tail looks long, but thin, and painteds—particularly captive ones— can often be pretty cryptic wrt sexual dimorphism) she might be ovulating and carrying eggs—which she will need to expel, preferably in a nesting box. Egg binding and improper laying can be fatal, so it’s worth ruling out.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 2, 2021

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

Edit: also- this is longshot stuff, but if your girlfriend’s turtle is an adult female (tail looks long, but thin, and painteds—particularly captive ones— can often be pretty cryptic wrt sexual dimorphism) she might be ovulating and carrying eggs—which she will need to expel, preferably in a nesting box. Egg binding and improper laying can be fatal, so it’s worth ruling out.

Thanks for your help!

I asked and the turtle has not laid eggs in the ten or so years she has owned it. She says the previous owner told her it was a female turtle and hadn't questioned it. So...male it is I guess.

We will be working on not overfeeding all her animals. She has a habit of doing so and now that we live together I can try and help figure out better diets/ feeding schedules.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Machai posted:

Thanks for your help!

I asked and the turtle has not laid eggs in the ten or so years she has owned it. She says the previous owner told her it was a female turtle and hadn't questioned it. So...male it is I guess.

We will be working on not overfeeding all her animals. She has a habit of doing so and now that we live together I can try and help figure out better diets/ feeding schedules.

Nah, it’s probably a female. Egg stuff is still poorly understood so just keep an eye out for any suspicious behavior. Turtles in their 20s and older have been known to lay eggs or become egg bound after years of never showing anything

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Hey axolotl owners, we just got one and live in Texas and it's looking like we need a chiller. We got it in a 20 gallon tank and are in the process of fixing the water. We have two fans blasting it and it's still getting up to 70F and it's still spring. We are looking to redo our beardie tank which is a 40 gallon breeder tank for it. From some research it looks like we need at least a 1/4hp. Are there any recommendations? Leaning towards this guy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHHP71...&language=en_US but that is just based on the first result on google axoltlenerd.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What kind of fans do you use? Because this is what I had: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006O6FA22/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 over my tank, on a shelf above, on full power. But this was for a 55 gallon tank, it might be overkill for a 20!

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Cowslips Warren posted:

What kind of fans do you use? Because this is what I had: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006O6FA22/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 over my tank, on a shelf above, on full power. But this was for a 55 gallon tank, it might be overkill for a 20!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01559O0WY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had two of these about a foot above the tank. Inside house temp is set at 72, tank temp has crept up near that even with fans on high because is in a front room. That looks like it would be a great option though.

Our FIL who we took over it from, (he got it for our nephew) is willing to split the cost with us. My partner has spend the last month working on the tank since he completely drained it and washed the filter before bringing it over. And we are sizing for the bigger tank since it would go back eventually into the bookshelf space I built for the bearded dragon.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I know I used one of those little clamp fans when I have my axes in a small 10 gallon tank, but I did end up rehoming the ones I had, most because I was always worried that one day their fans would go out if our AC went out too. I don't know if the females were quite full grown when I rehomed them, but I did at one time have four axolotls in the 55 gallon with that yellow fan I posted, and sometimes the water would get about 73, and then I would put in iced and Frozen water bottles to drop it down a little. Literally were awesome animals with a ton of personality, they would come up to the side of the tank when they saw me and want food, but the temperature was the deciding factor in me rehoming them to someone who had a coldwater setup. That, and the fact that I had flooded the market with their babies about a year and a half prior, which apparently kick started a few axolotl groups in my city.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

take me you ANIMAL posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01559O0WY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had two of these about a foot above the tank. Inside house temp is set at 72, tank temp has crept up near that even with fans on high because is in a front room. That looks like it would be a great option though.

Our FIL who we took over it from, (he got it for our nephew) is willing to split the cost with us. My partner has spend the last month working on the tank since he completely drained it and washed the filter before bringing it over. And we are sizing for the bigger tank since it would go back eventually into the bookshelf space I built for the bearded dragon.

if you don’t want to drop $500+ on a chiller with your FIL, do you have a basement? Preferably unheated? I would try moving the tank down there. From there you can also try doing things like putting the tank in a small room or even a closet and specifically cooling it down with something like a Pinguino

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Very exciting last 24 hours for me; last night I had my first moult since starting to keep tarantulas in January. It was the first one I'd bought; she'd been in pre-moult about 3 weeks and I noticed her on her back yesterday afternoon. She was lying on a little web blanket she'd spun, which I know is pretty usual, but I found it enormously cute anyway. By the time I went to bed she was out but pretty curled up. Now she's in her burrow so although I saw her abdomen last night with the new hairs, I haven't really had a good look at her new "coat" yet. Looking forward to when she feels ready to come out.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Very exciting last 24 hours for me; last night I had my first moult since starting to keep tarantulas in January. It was the first one I'd bought; she'd been in pre-moult about 3 weeks and I noticed her on her back yesterday afternoon. She was lying on a little web blanket she'd spun, which I know is pretty usual, but I found it enormously cute anyway. By the time I went to bed she was out but pretty curled up. Now she's in her burrow so although I saw her abdomen last night with the new hairs, I haven't really had a good look at her new "coat" yet. Looking forward to when she feels ready to come out.

Very cool! I'm having a minor crisis of confidence after having my first failed feeding yesterday but my guy's butt is looking big so he's either full or possibly going into premolt himself.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

fuzzy_logic posted:

Very cool! I'm having a minor crisis of confidence after having my first failed feeding yesterday but my guy's butt is looking big so he's either full or possibly going into premolt himself.

Definitely sounds like potential pre-moult. Darkening abdomen can also be a pointer (mine's normally red-haired abdomen went pretty dark and shiny). Or it could be getting close to it and eating less often; one of my other Ts seems to be doing this. But either way, nothing to lose confidence or worry about - they can go and sometimes do go ages without eating. Just important to not leave live prey in with it for too long if you suspect it's in pre-moult.

edit: Tarantula is out of her burrow. She's gone back to her moult mat and has been chilling on it. :3: Still not seen her at full stretch but she's looking pretty from her legs and abdomen.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 13, 2021

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Definitely sounds like potential pre-moult. Darkening abdomen can also be a pointer (mine's normally red-haired abdomen went pretty dark and shiny). Or it could be getting close to it and eating less often; one of my other Ts seems to be doing this. But either way, nothing to lose confidence or worry about - they can go and sometimes do go ages without eating. Just important to not leave live prey in with it for too long if you suspect it's in pre-moult.

edit: Tarantula is out of her burrow. She's gone back to her moult mat and has been chilling on it. :3: Still not seen her at full stretch but she's looking pretty from her legs and abdomen.

very cool, what species? mine's fossorial so I only see him by craning my neck and jamming a flashlight in his face. And yeah I yank the prey if he won't take it after a few tries, otherwise they burrow, eugh.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

fuzzy_logic posted:

very cool, what species? mine's fossorial so I only see him by craning my neck and jamming a flashlight in his face. And yeah I yank the prey if he won't take it after a few tries, otherwise they burrow, eugh.

It's a T sabulosus, Guatemalan Red Rump. Terrestrial, but she has burrowed quite a way down underneath her hide, to the bottom corner of the enclosure. The zest of youth. Having said that, she is out and about most of the time (got less so during pre-moult).

I haven't got a fossorial, but I understand your experience is the norm. What species do you have?

On prey, if it's a burrowing critter like a mealworm I crush the head just in case. Reaaally don't want burrowing, like you say. Or any bite-capable prey near a moulting T.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 14, 2021

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

my hognose finally goddamn housed three pinkies after not eating since November, all i had to do was snuggle her in my hands for awhile, she is a prima donna

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I have a "problem"

My dog caught this Western Fence lizard, tail fell off, and he picked him up in his mouth 3-4 times before I got him away. This happens a lot and usually the lizard just takes off as fast as possible after they're rescued. This one refused to leave my hand when I tried to let him go. We thought maybe he was stunned or injured more than was visible so we put him in a small tank overnight. He seemed perkier the next morning so I took him out for release. He didn't take off from my hand right away, but after a minute or so he climbed off and over our back wall. Yay!

...Then today he came back and the dog got him AGAIN. Rescued him, no visible injuries, and I can't help but feel like he's coming back to visit. I can pick him up and he has no fear or struggle and just chills on my hand. I pet his head and he actually closed his eyes and went to sleep in my palm :3:. It's incredibly strange, we see those lizards here all the time and they scurry away if you even look at them funny. This one is acting domesticated! After a few minutes I put him back in the tank.

So why the hell would a wild lizard keep coming back to a place where it gets mauled by a dog? I'm kind of feeling like we have a new pet lizard - I'm worried if I release him again he'll just come back and eventually the dog will kill him. Is there anything wrong with keeping a wild-caught lizard like that? I checked and it's legal but I'm generally against capturing wildlife for pets. But he's coming back and hanging out of his own accord! And I think it's better than death by dog...

Finally, is there any way to feed them not-live food? I hate meal worms and I was against getting lizards because I didn't want to have to keep going out and buying crickets or whatever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hakarne posted:

Finally, is there any way to feed them not-live food? I hate meal worms and I was against getting lizards because I didn't want to have to keep going out and buying crickets or whatever.

You can try feeding canned or bag-packaged bugs, they’re readily available for cheap at Petco, etc. Can’t say if the lizard will take them tho, that’s often as much an individual/upbringing thing as it is species-related.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ok Comboomer posted:

You can try feeding canned or bag-packaged bugs, they’re readily available for cheap at Petco, etc. Can’t say if the lizard will take them tho, that’s often as much an individual/upbringing thing as it is species-related.

Thanks, I'll check that out! I'm not optimistic since he's wild though. I wish he'd go back to nature (and stay there) but I don't want to release him to almost certain death, he's a cool lil' dude.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hakarne posted:

Thanks, I'll check that out! I'm not optimistic since he's wild though. I wish he'd go back to nature (and stay there) but I don't want to release him to almost certain death, he's a cool lil' dude.

I mean, I doubt he’s really that attached to you

Try releasing him again, or releasing him farther away from your home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

It's a T sabulosus, Guatemalan Red Rump. Terrestrial, but she has burrowed quite a way down underneath her hide, to the bottom corner of the enclosure. The zest of youth. Having said that, she is out and about most of the time (got less so during pre-moult).

I haven't got a fossorial, but I understand your experience is the norm. What species do you have?

On prey, if it's a burrowing critter like a mealworm I crush the head just in case. Reaaally don't want burrowing, like you say. Or any bite-capable prey near a moulting T.

neoholothele incei "gold," if you scroll up there's a good pic. I try to plant the worms right on a web tunnel so they're good and stuck before I take the tongs off, the prey response is uh, not explosive, it can take the little goober a good ten minutes of staring and prodding before he decides the thing's edible