Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
I’m just putting this out there. I’m tired of IPAs. Let’s see something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Can I interest you in a or maybe a or even just a good ol

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The most interesting development in the past few years of beer was probably the Brut IPA fad. Not for Brut IPAs themselves really, but because it was a move towards drier, leaner beers instead of the endless trend towards bigger, sweeter or smoother. The use of added enzymes was an interesting technique too. I maintain that Orval is one of the best, most drinkable beers there is, and almost unique in the way it blends a firm, but not extreme bitterness, abundant carbonation and complete dryness. It reminds me of sparkling wine in the way it's so "edgy" yet drinkable.

Saisons and sour beers sometimes move in this territory, but can easily get either flabby or too sour. I'd love to see beers in the mold of Orval exploring light tartness and the techniques used for Brut IPAs. There's a lot of room for good low-ish ABV lagers and pale ales too, but at the moment I find natural wine/the whole glou-glou thing to have overtaken beer in terms of drinkability, which should be corrected.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

internet celebrity posted:

Can I interest you in a

That can looks like it’s exploded.

I do appreciate many styles, but I’m tired of gimmicks. They just cover up the flaws in too many beers. There’s also no reason for the diacetyl in too many of these pilsners that breweries near me are starting to push. So if the choice is between a WC IPA and some other beer that is a stretch for a lot of these places, I’ll grab the IPA still every time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jhet posted:

They just cover up the flaws in too many beers.
why learn how to actually make good beer, no one actually gives a gently caress anymore. Just serve literal mixed drinks and tell people its your new ginger pilsner aged in ańejo barrels

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

internet celebrity posted:

Can I interest you in a or maybe a or even just a good ol

Ugh, just get me a bud light please

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Ugh, just get me a bud light please

Beer sins driving us...back into to Bud's light?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Beer sins driving us...back into to Bud's light?

I keep a keg of Genny Light on tap in my backyard now.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

*pulls you in close*

Buddy, what if i told you that vanilla milkshake had BOOZE in it? And tasted like burnt bourbon barrels?!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

This guy gets it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Honestly? Classic Belgian strong ales and good lagers. I've come full circle here

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Man, my local macro lager is such poo poo. It's meant to be a pilsner, and it only has traditional saaz hops in it, yet it is weirdly fruity and somewhat flabby. It tastes like a bad kölsch.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Sadly IPA's are super efficient at getting people drunk without it tasting like it. a 9% stout feels big and heavy whereas a 9% east coast IPA tastes like boozy orange juice.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

LionYeti posted:

Sadly IPA's are super efficient at getting people drunk without it tasting like it. a 9% stout feels big and heavy whereas a 9% east coast IPA tastes like boozy orange juice.

Cocktails still remain king here.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spuckuk posted:

Cocktails still remain king here.

but cocktails are for alcoholics

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

LionYeti posted:

:wtc:

What the hell are you talking about? Ipas taste like boozy herbal tea and are so hard to drink

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Just go back to the old styles. Pick up some beers from European breweries if you haven't before, or have forgotten them.

I usually pick up whatever is new from the few local breweries I like but also a couple of European beers from the older breweries, usually pilsners and such I have never tried before. Vander Ghinste Roodbruin was something I had recently, really good.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Yeah, when I drink beer these days I've been tending more towards lagers and pilsners because IPAs feel so played out. I have always loved stouts and porters best of all but gently caress there just aren't many around anymore that aren't just straight up milkshakes in a glass.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Having a bourbon barrel Framinghammer tonight and just not getting any bourbon from this at all. It's still good it's just not any better than the base beer

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Giggle Goose posted:

Yeah, when I drink beer these days I've been tending more towards lagers and pilsners because IPAs feel so played out. I have always loved stouts and porters best of all but gently caress there just aren't many around anymore that aren't just straight up milkshakes in a glass.

it's all about balance, which is not your typical hazy IPA's m.o.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Quiet Feet posted:

Having a bourbon barrel Framinghammer tonight and just not getting any bourbon from this at all. It's still good it's just not any better than the base beer

thats weird, that beer used to be a vanillin bomb back in the day, havent had it in a few years though

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
An odd question: what's a good mass-produced American wheat beer that's not too bitter?

There was a craft beer from Galveston Bay Brewery called Watermelon Wheat I liked a lot, and it appears they have stopped manufacturing it. The beer wasn't that bitter and had a very light essence of watermelon taste, but had more of a beer taste than fruit. They have a blueberry-flavored beer still being produced but it has a bitter finish.

For a substitute, I wanted to find a mass produced American beer that won't go away anytime soon, then experiment with adding my own fruit flavors to it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oberon

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Halloween Liker posted:

Just go back to the old styles. Pick up some beers from European breweries if you haven't before, or have forgotten them.

I usually pick up whatever is new from the few local breweries I like but also a couple of European beers from the older breweries, usually pilsners and such I have never tried before. Vander Ghinste Roodbruin was something I had recently, really good.

My local bottle shop finally lowered their prices on Rocheforts so I bought a bunch.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

nnnotime posted:

An odd question: what's a good mass-produced American wheat beer that's not too bitter?

There was a craft beer from Galveston Bay Brewery called Watermelon Wheat I liked a lot, and it appears they have stopped manufacturing it. The beer wasn't that bitter and had a very light essence of watermelon taste, but had more of a beer taste than fruit. They have a blueberry-flavored beer still being produced but it has a bitter finish.

For a substitute, I wanted to find a mass produced American beer that won't go away anytime soon, then experiment with adding my own fruit flavors to it.

21st Amendment out of San Francisco brews a Watermelon Wheat. Not sure how easy it would be for you to get (they were in grocery stores here) but might be easier than trying to add flavors. Though adding fruit syrups to Berlinerweisse is a thing that works well, so maybe you'll find something perfect.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Thanks, I saw that beer also thru a GIS. That beer is made by Bell's. One of the liquor stores near me may carry that particular beer, so I will check.

Also Bell's made a really good Cherry Wheat beer I found in the liquor stores about two years ago, but have not been able to locate that beer since then.

EDIT: That Bell's Cherry Beer was probably one of their General Store Exclusives, so doubt I'll see it again anytime soon:
https://www.bellsbeer.com/beer/specialty/bells-general-store-exclusive-series

Bell's also has a Cherry Stout but I don't believe that was the one I tried.

highme posted:

21st Amendment out of San Francisco brews a Watermelon Wheat. Not sure how easy it would be for you to get (they were in grocery stores here) but might be easier than trying to add flavors. Though adding fruit syrups to Berlinerweisse is a thing that works well, so maybe you'll find something perfect.
Thanks - I found the 21st Amendment Watermelon Wheat last night, and tried it, but it has too bitter of a finish.

I have really weird taste buds, I know lol

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 24, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Thanks, I saw that beer also thru a GIS. That beer is made by Bell's. One of the liquor stores near me may carry that particular beer, so I will check.

Also Bell's made a really good Cherry Wheat beer I found in the liquor stores about two years ago, but have not been able to locate that beer since then.

Thanks - I found the 21st Amendment Watermelon Wheat last night, and tried it, but it has too bitter of a finish.

[/quote]

Have you tried Sam Adams Cherry Wheat? It’s not awful.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Have you tried Sam Adams Cherry Wheat? It’s not awful.
Thanks, I tried the Sam Adams one, too: the cherry-taste for me was too "fake"? At least for my very finicky palate.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Blue Moon

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Thanks, as I may wind up with Blue Moon if I find no other substitutes. The Oberon may be a similar product, but will find out tonight once I locate the Oberon stock, and how well it mixes (calling stores now). Blue Moon definitely fits my criteria for being low on the bitterness scale.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Keep in mind that sweetness cuts through bitterness too, so even a bitter beer will likely hold up to whatever fruit juice youre throwing in it.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

nnnotime posted:

Ah drat, good luck with your hunt, weird taste buds or not, there's no reason you shouldn't drink what you like.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

nnnotime posted:

Thanks, as I may wind up with Blue Moon if I find no other substitutes. The Oberon may be a similar product, but will find out tonight once I locate the Oberon stock, and how well it mixes (calling stores now). Blue Moon definitely fits my criteria for being low on the bitterness scale.

If you’re just mixing it with fruit juice or whatever save a few bucks and stick with Blue Moon or Shock Top.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

If you’re just mixing it with fruit juice or whatever save a few bucks and stick with Blue Moon or Shock Top.
Shock Top? I'll look into that beer.

I'm mixing the beer with this carbonated non-alcoholic Sangria Senorial beverage, about under 3oz. It works well as it as adding a mild fruit flavor without tasting like plain juice was added, so it doesn't taste candy-sweet.

https://www.mexgrocer.com/brand-seh...ink%20industry.

The store I ended up at today had 12 cans of the Galveston Bay Watermelon Wheat left. But I recall the last time I bought the same beer from this store, 5 of the cans blew up in the bag when I got home. So this time I wrapped the cans in plastic and turned my car A/C on high and put the wrapped cans on the floor, where the A/C was directed.

Here's reviews for the Galveston Bay Watermelon Wheat. I don't agree the fruit flavor tastes too strong:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/42321/241508/

The store also had a Bell's Bright White, so bought a 6-pack to see how it mixes with the Sangria beverage.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/8682/

I also Shiner has a berry-flavored wheat beer, called Weisse N' Easy, which I picked up the 12-pack for (only offering in stock):
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/143/464131/
From the reviews I don't think I'll like the beer as the drinkers comment the berry taste is very distinct. As I'm instead looking for a beer-like/fruit balance. But I'll find out in a few hours...

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 24, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Have you ever tried a fruited NEIPA? We talk poo poo about them all the time and I personally hate all IPAs, but if you want something that tastes like beer and also fruit juice, its at least worth trying the style

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

nnnotime posted:

Shock Top? I'll look into that beer.

I'm mixing the beer with this carbonated non-alcoholic Sangria Senorial beverage, about under 3oz. It works well as it as adding a mild fruit flavor without tasting like plain juice was added, so it doesn't taste candy-sweet.

https://www.mexgrocer.com/brand-seh...ink%20industry.

The store I ended up at today had 12 cans of the Galveston Bay Watermelon Wheat left. But I recall the last time I bought the same beer from this store, 5 of the cans blew up in the bag when I got home. So this time I wrapped the cans in plastic and turned my car A/C on high and put the wrapped cans on the floor, where the A/C was directed.

Here's reviews for the Galveston Bay Watermelon Wheat. I don't agree the fruit flavor tastes too strong:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/42321/241508/

The store also had a Bell's Bright White, so bought a 6-pack to see how it mixes with the Sangria beverage.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/8682/

I also Shiner has a berry-flavored wheat beer, called Weisse N' Easy, which I picked up the 12-pack for (only offering in stock):
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/143/464131/
From the reviews I don't think I'll like the beer as the drinkers comment the berry taste is very distinct. As I'm instead looking for a beer-like/fruit balance. But I'll find out in a few hours...

Do you like sours? Everyone’s making fruited sours these days, should be relatively easy to find one you like.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nnnotime posted:

:thunk:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Not sure why this particular beer blows up that easily. Appears to expand if the temperature gets right over 80 degrees. The beers were attached to the hard-plastic holders, so there is increased pressure against the tops if the cans expand.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Do you like sours? Everyone’s making fruited sours these days, should be relatively easy to find one you like.
I tried a few, but they sours didn't grab me.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nnnotime posted:

Not sure why this particular beer blows up that easily. Appears to expand if the temperature gets right over 80 degrees. The beers were attached to the hard-plastic holders, so there is increased pressure against the tops if the cans expand.

There's a whole thing right now with exploding beers because breweries are putting unfermented sugars (fruit) in their unpasteurized beers which is dumb and dangerous and wasteful.