Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bobulus posted:

It is I, returned every year to demand to know why I *still* can't get a light-player mug in the Homestuck store.

this reminded me of the artists stating they went with a light mug because it was the most vriska thing they could think of short of a mug with her face on it, and i had a good chuckle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

posting it on your dead Patreon is weird,

Small correction: It was posted from the game kickstarter, not the comic patreon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Here's the video of the Odd Gentlemen demo version.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M2mmkMx8Wkwp1VU_5IpMKDvngmUFS0IG/view

Leaving aside the glitch (once you play Simon and fail you can't interact with anything in the interface), this looks so much worse than the 2D version. I don't mean in visual execution, I mean in charm.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

No, it's worse than that. That's the NYC Studio version. The one that existed after Odd Gentlemen.

The Odd Gentleman version was like this:

edit: this seems like a shitpost, but it's not.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bobulus posted:

No, it's worse than that. That's the NYC Studio version. The one that existed after Odd Gentlemen.

The Odd Gentleman version was like this:

edit: this seems like a shitpost, but it's not.

Ah, I misunderstood! Yeah, that's definitely a demo there, that Odd Gentleman demo.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Odd Gentlemen version was very obviously terrible, they had nothing to show for the money spent, and they knew it - that was why they were foisting off Hussie visiting their offices (and the business-speak in the excerpted emails is really obviously that). They knew as soon as the client was able to look at the dev builds in a non-controlled environment, he would instantly spot that they had achieved nothing.

I don't think you can blame all the development woes on that, but "the studio contracted to do the work spent upwards of a year not doing it, delivered nothing, and kept most of the budget" is a really huge hurdle for a project to get over.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Look like Sarah Z and the agency they make videos with are being sent explicit legal threats for parts of the video.

So that's fun. (From the pinned youtube comment):

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
The real Homestuck starts here.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's not said from who though.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
ha ha ha yessss

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

life_source posted:

The real Homestuck starts here.

Happy belated April 13th everyone!!!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Hiveswap beta is hilarious.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i'ven't watched the video and i shan't, but did they use the epic 400000 word blog post about how my sources tell me the mooney was spent on thai hookers? if it did then maybe it has to do with the legal threats but thats still overreacting

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MagusDraco posted:

Look like Sarah Z and the agency they make videos with are being sent explicit legal threats for parts of the video.

So that's fun. (From the pinned youtube comment):

I have never ever heard of Homestuck before but I guess I'd better go in cold and watch this before it gets a takedown

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ArfJason posted:

i'ven't watched the video and i shan't, but did they use the epic 400000 word blog post about how my sources tell me the mooney was spent on thai hookers? if it did then maybe it has to do with the legal threats but thats still overreacting

She did use it as a source but didn't take it as gospel. Which is why I'm a little confused about why she's the one threatened with legal action and not the blog post guy. Unless it was the Odd Gentlemen threatening the action? Who knows.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
The Kickstarter was used to fund the assassination of Gadaffi and this YouTube lady got too close to the truth

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
andrew hussie is in possession of material that will lead to the indictment of hillary clinton

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How does that align with the emails Hussie quotes showing that the Odd Gentlemen refused to meet with him? Or with the video he links to that shows how unsalvageable the early product was?

I think that Hussie's providing cites puts his explanation way ahead of that anonymous Tumblr (was it?) post.

While Hussie's explanation has a lot more details, the only one that contradicts the idea that he simply never gave The Odd Gentlemen anything concrete to work on until too late is his claim that WP fulfilled its deliverables by 2014, which is itself contradicted by his own Kickstarter updates claiming that the design docs were "almost done" in mid-2014. It's possible Hussie was just being charitable to his partners but at this point the relationship had already broken down and they were stonewalling him. But he positively admits that at least part of the delay was on him.

I think it's fairly clear that Hussie and Odd Gentlemen had very different ideas of what their respective obligations to the project were, and it seems likely that The Odd Gentlemen's interpretation was the more technically correct one. It's entirely possible that Hussie thought he had given them enough to work with by the end of 2013, and also that the cost of keeping on staff during the delays even up until that point was not coming out of the project budget.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
:munch:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

I think it's fairly clear that Hussie and Odd Gentlemen had very different ideas of what their respective obligations to the project were, and it seems likely that The Odd Gentlemen's interpretation was the more technically correct one. It's entirely possible that Hussie thought he had given them enough to work with by the end of 2013, and also that the cost of keeping on staff during the delays even up until that point was not coming out of the project budget.
How does that explain The Odd Gentlemen's refusal to meet with Hussie? If they simply hadn't gotten a timely script from him, they could have met with him and said "We've only had two (say) months of actual development time, and here's what that got."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, after he provided the design documents they still refused to meet with him and gave him excuses for months. We also know they were actively developing the King's Quest reboot at that time - they were in a making of documentary - and as a small studio it's unlikely they could have been in active development on two 3D adventure games at once.

It seems really likely that after the initial delays with the design docs, they just treated Hiveswap as a perpetual paycheck and decided to take the shot at the more prestigious King's Quest franchise when it came up.

That same documentary mentions that the rights holders wanted seed capital from the studio in order to give them the project, so TOG were so keen on that job that they actually paid money to be given the chance to take it. I imagine their plan (if they had one) was to put off Hussie with excuses for as long as possible, keep getting paid for Hiveswap until they'd finished work on King's Quest, then rush out Hiveswap with the remaining funds once the project they cared about was done.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's not said from who though.
Faygo, obviously

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Well this thread got a screencap in that video so we've exceeded expectations already.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Well this thread got a screencap in that video so we've exceeded expectations already.

it has been running for ten fuckin years and is probably one of the few places left where you can get a pretty comprehensive poster's history of the second half of homestuck's run

what a weird thought

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I once got probed in this thread for saying I shipped JohnVris in 2011 during the conversations where they talk about going on a date. Times have changed!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Android Blues posted:

I once got probed in this thread for saying I shipped JohnVris in 2011 during the conversations where they talk about going on a date. Times have changed!

patrician

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

What were people talking about?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Joe, the fifth kid. Can't remember his last name

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It was just the copy/paste from the kickstarter update.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Apropos of nothing, it feels like a missed opportunity that we never got an audio book of the epilogues narrated by Dante.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

M_Gargantua posted:

Does this mean we can testify in the event of a What Pumpkin vs. Sarah Z court case?

Because I want to make it very clear to both sides right now that I can be bribed into giving whatever statements you want.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i hope the screenshot captured me calling you all a bunch of loving losers

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ArfJason posted:

i hope the screenshot captured me calling you all a bunch of loving losers

It doesn't need to be stated: it comes with being a somethingawful poster.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im cool

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I loved getting that email from the long dead Kickstarter long after I stopped giving a poo poo about it delivering what it promised, giving me a miles-long "well actually" to something I'd mostly forgotten about.

Especially when it hit my inbox less than ten minutes after I finished the Sarah Z video.

Like, thanks for the answers to the questions I had half a decade or so ago, I guess.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Post the answers and the questions that we'd forgotten about

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

Post the answers and the questions that we'd forgotten about

Q: Why game take so long

A: game never got started

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://mobile.twitter.com/PopKMBs

I guess Hussie just does stuff like this now.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Whoa, 14 layers of irony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Spellman posted:

Whoa, 14 layers of irony

Irony is a lie, for whatever reason you're doing something you're still doing it.

It was sincerity the whole time baby.