Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't "get" online community at all.

Like people have always talked about meeting friends or even romantic interests through some internet group or another and it had always baffled me. Why would that happen. Why would anyone want that to happen

In my entire life I have never once interacted with a person online and thought "boy I sure do want to do that more". I think the internet is best for drive-by hot takes to strangers and you move on with your life.

I have a real life social circle, a family, and a bunch of extended family members for social interaction. What in the wide world could some fake internet personality offer me

I've found, universally, that people with this take are insufferable to be around and people with the opposite take (who recognize that people online are just humans who are also using a computer) are chill people that are fun to be around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

That tracks

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Russia is the scariest country in the world

Spicy hot take considering America still exists

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Belgium

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Isn't a real country.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
No it exists, I got close to the border once. It's there. Lurking.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If they had just let Germany march through, WW1 would've been far shorter and taken a fraction of the human lives. Belgium is to blame for hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Also they put mayo on french fries. Gross.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

If they had just let Germany march through, WW1 would've been far shorter and taken a fraction of the human lives. Belgium is to blame for hundreds of thousands of deaths.

If Germany won World War 1, the Nazis wouldn't have come to power. Belgium caused Hitler.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also they put mayo on french fries. Gross.

Actually that's not gross, but rather good and correct.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't "get" online community at all.

Like people have always talked about meeting friends or even romantic interests through some internet group or another and it had always baffled me. Why would that happen. Why would anyone want that to happen

In my entire life I have never once interacted with a person online and thought "boy I sure do want to do that more". I think the internet is best for drive-by hot takes to strangers and you move on with your life.

I have a real life social circle, a family, and a bunch of extended family members for social interaction. What in the wide world could some fake internet personality offer me

It's weird, because years ago (before social media really took off) I was all about meeting people online, getting to know them, forming friendships, etc. Even met Mr. Fartsy almost 20 years ago here on these dead forums.

But now everyone is online, every friend and relative I've ever known in person, and I don't meet any new people online ever--I don't even try, and I agree it feels baffling now.

I'm sure a lot of that is just my age and realizing most people suck and it's exhausting to vet them on or off the internet, and if you do make an actual friend well that's one more relationship you have to nurture or else it just withers and dies and who has the time :smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Actually that's not gross, but rather good and correct.

This is how Mayoism starts...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Byzantine posted:

If Germany won World War 1, the Nazis wouldn't have come to power. Belgium caused Hitler.

A short WW1 that France loses also makes a communist revolution in France instead of Russia more likely. Communist France would be in a much better position than Communist Russia was, since it had a fully developed capitalist production mode like Marx said was necessary.

Basically, Belgium is responsible for untold human misery and death.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My brother always made me play Belgium in that super nintendo "super soccer" game where they were easily the worst team in all categories in the game. He'd get to pick germany (#1) or argentina (#2) if I started getting whiny about it and I never won a game.

Thanks, Belgium.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My brother always made me play Belgium in that super nintendo "super soccer" game where they were easily the worst team in all categories in the game. He'd get to pick germany (#1) or argentina (#2) if I started getting whiny about it and I never won a game.

Thanks, Belgium.

Nowadays, thankfully, France is the world football champ so kids don't have these problems

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nowadays, thankfully, France is the world football champ so kids don't have these problems

America is the football champion of the world, not France.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
edit: I'm a dumbass

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

YeahTubaMike posted:

edit: I'm a dumbass

That is an unpopular opinion.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gripweed posted:

That is an unpopular opinion.

:unsmith:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If you wanna sell Karli Morgenthau as sympathetic she needs to have some kind coherent idea or ideology. Does she want Thanos to come back for an another snap?

Karli Morgenthau is sympathetic because she has no idea who Thanos even was. She wants communism, equality, and justice, and she's right. Regardless of how she arrived at that conclusion.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you ever ate a booger as a kid, you're still disgusting decades later.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Same, but also for adults.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pinterest needs to be delisted from Google

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Pinterest needs to be delisted from Google

How is it soooooooooo slooooooooooow? It's impressive, really.

Also what even is it? It's just... IDK. It boggles my mind. You get a picture in GIS and click on it, and then... things happen and it's not the picture you get it's... 70s kitchens and Soviet Union and nothing you click on gives you the thing you click on, except when it does.

Is Pinterest hell?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It sure as poo poo ruined google image search.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I still can't believe Google killed the discussion search tool. It was the best way to find real recommendations from enthusiasts instead of pages of useless content mill noise.

Also you used to be able to exclude sites from your google searches in the settings, but they killed that too.

Man google sucks

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The only thing google cares about is showing you ads. If those ads happen to be on pages related to what you searched for then that is entirely coincidental.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Manager Hoyden posted:

I still can't believe Google killed the discussion search tool. It was the best way to find real recommendations from enthusiasts instead of pages of useless content mill noise.

Also you used to be able to exclude sites from your google searches in the settings, but they killed that too.

Man google sucks

Agreed. I’ve been a Bing man for years.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i use duckduckgo and for my next phone im going to just root it from the start and get rid of anything related to google and facebook (are there any third party whatsapp replacements?), but i want to keep some of the play store apps

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Does Bing still pay people to search? I remember that was a thing for a while.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Agreed. I’ve been a Bing man for years.

we found the son of a bitch who watched The Jay Leno Show

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pastry of the Year posted:

we found the son of a bitch who watched The Jay Leno Show

Jay was an rear end to Conan, no question, but the real blame for the entire Tonight Show succession dispute is on the NBC executives.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

His biggest sin is Jay's Garage being boring. I would love to just to walk around his garage and have him tell me little bits about all of the awesome cars he has, but for some reason Jay's Garage is the most boring show despite having all the coolest/most unique cars.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

His biggest sin is Jay's Garage being boring. I would love to just to walk around his garage and have him tell me little bits about all of the awesome cars he has, but for some reason Jay's Garage is the most boring show despite having all the coolest/most unique cars.

Yeah I really wish they would have literally anyone but Jay Leno host Jay Leno's garage

Not only is he boring, he's just a smarmy annoying old dork

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
That's because Jay Leno has the charisma of a bar mop. Not even the coolest cars on Earth can save that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He should let James May host Jay's Garage. May has like the opposite affect where even boring stuff is interesting.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

He should let James May host Jay's Garage. May has like the opposite affect where even boring stuff is interesting.

Maybe Jay could come in, give a short "funny items"-talk at the beginning of the show and then James May did the rest? :D

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh god this. He tells the same lame jokes over and over, completely glosses over any kind of interesting technical information, and any time he has to speak to someone else you can literally see his eyes glaze over and he just stands there going "uh-huh, yeah, hmmmm, uh-huh..." while he's waiting for it to be his turn to speak again.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Apr 14, 2021

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I looked it up and Jay Leno is worth 400 million dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gaius Baltar did nothing wrong. Selling out his race for Caprica Six tail was 100% justified; the humans were clearly an inferior race that deserved its fate. The cylons should have finished them on New Caprica.

Plus, there's evidence later on that human aggression started the war.