Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Y’all seem real intent on someone getting fingered for murder here when the child soldiers probably die horribly to monsters with alarming frequency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This whole conversation is really an elaborate ruse to suss out HP and Alchemic Water's relationship. Auntie MingXing is going to send them both up the river.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

post the new comic you animals

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-21

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bussamove posted:

Y’all seem real intent on someone getting fingered for murder here when the child soldiers probably die horribly to monsters with alarming frequency.

Yeah they are waaaaaaaay too casual for this to involve any real belief in foul play.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I'm very surprised to see anyone thinking that this could be a murder investigation. The comic literally started with 3 magical girls being killed by a monster.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think Undine is going to get into any actual trouble here but Kokoro still just realised she tried to get out of a bad situation by dragging her girlfriend into it.

Put another way this whole situation has such a strong cop energy to it that it still feels like she ratted her out even though these agents are just doing search and rescue stuff.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm guessing Undine's going to spill the Goops on Auntie Mingxing.

Auntie is either not going to buy it or know exactly what Undine's talking about and offer her thoughts about what the government thinks Goops is.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Prediction: Mingxing looks at Kokoro and Undine interacting for a while, and then goes "Huh."

"Huh? Huh what?" Kokoro says.

"Oh, nothing, it's just that all this time I thought you were straight. Good on ya, girl."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Why would she think that? Kokoro's had a girlfriend before.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Depends how much they talked, I guess. Kokoro and Lime having dated doesn't seem to be public knowledge.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
It’s weird that there isn’t more suspicion of magical-girl-on-magical-girl violence in this universe. You’d think that a lot of teenagers with magic weapons and poor impulse control would lead to a lot of high-stakes infighting, but I guess Mary already said it was heavily discouraged, for...reasons we’re not aware of yet.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Ironic Twist posted:

It’s weird that there isn’t more suspicion of magical-girl-on-magical-girl violence in this universe. You’d think that a lot of teenagers with magic weapons and poor impulse control would lead to a lot of high-stakes infighting, but I guess Mary already said it was heavily discouraged, for...reasons we’re not aware of yet.

I'm pretty sure heavily discouraged because they are your physical line of defense between monsters and the populace.

It's like that conversation with Rue: The government doesn't need to be conspiring, they just need to be out of their depth and desperate to fight the monsters. And in this case, 'we will be incredibly upset at any Magical Girl caught fighting other Magical Girls' seems like it would most likely arise as a direct response to the need to have bodies between monsters and civilians.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, you know, super-powered fighting is bad and really dangerous both for those involved and probably those around them, especially when the ones fighting are, as stated, teenagers with poor impulse control.

There doesn't even need to be anything suspicious for them to have the position, "magical girls really, really shouldn't be fighting each other".

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Fair points, I guess I'm surprised that even given all those reasons that it doesn't just happen more often anyway, human nature being what it is.

It's also that I can't think of any other magical girl story where everyone in society knows that both the MGs and the monsters exist and it's just a part of the culture. In so many other examples of these stories, a teenage girl disappearing wouldn't lead to people being like "well clearly, she was eaten by monsters". It would lead to suspicions of foul play. So I can't blame people for defaulting to those expectations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Actually, considering how horrified HP was when she learned Cassidy attacked Undine ("You attacked her with your WEAPON?") makes it seem that HP at least considers seriously fighting another Magical Girl to be unthinkable, so tat's probably been drilled into them from very early on.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

jng2058 posted:

Actually, considering how horrified HP was when she learned Cassidy attacked Undine ("You attacked her with your WEAPON?") makes it seem that HP at least considers seriously fighting another Magical Girl to be unthinkable, so tat's probably been drilled into them from very early on.

I mean, it's very clear they all know what their powers are for, their entire society relies on those powers being used for that purpose, and that purpose is not fighting humans.

The idea of a magical girl who would use her powers against other humans would go against everything they're understood to be.

I don't know that you even need to be drilled in it. It's just not what powers are for to them, from before they ever get the dream.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

They all get their power from the same source, maybe the woman in white implants some subtle controls that make it very hard for MGs to contemplate attacking one another.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
It's probably even simpler, the Woman in White just tries to pick the ones who won't abuse their gifts.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

jng2058 posted:

When Kokoro and Harley sparred, Harley transformed, then instantly dismissed her brass knuckles saying basically "nope, won't be using these for this fight."

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

madjack posted:

It's probably even simpler, the Woman in White just tries to pick the ones who won't abuse their gifts.

Yeah, it's not like the MG powers are just given out randomly. There's a deliberate choice behind who gets them, and for good reason.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's not totally reliable, still. You could see Cassidy's problem coming even before she became a magical girl. And in chapter 3 there's a wanted poster for a magical girl too - apparently it was a character concept that Mary ended up scrapping because it would have been too similar to Chandra in Kiwi Blitz.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page! In which everything is very awkward.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

New page! In which everything is very awkward.

I don't know why this is something I'm fixated on but the ramifications of letting currently active magical girls power prosthetic technology is positively fascinating. How does the screening process for this work? Do you get put on a list and when it's time for someone to retire you get a phone call to have your current limb decommissioned and wait for a new MG with tech powers to become available? Since Techno Blitz isn't always transformed everything just works passively as well so in theory other magical girls could be enchanting stuff all over the city.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Picturing Mingxing’s hand powering down and dropping her coffee or something as Steampunk Princess retired with nothing but a “huh”.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, "retiring" in this case presumably means you become an adult and your powers stop working, which I imagine is something you can vaguely expect to happen around 18 but probably don't get a lot of specific advance warning about, so.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Most magical girls end up retiring by aging out of it, not by getting killed.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah it was meant to be a little joke I thought was funny but hey.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
beep boop beep boop

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

New page.

Congratulations to Undine and her new child, Egg Friend.

Also to Mingxing and her star-eyes at Kokoro actually opening up to someone.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bussamove posted:

New page.

Congratulations to Undine and her new child, Egg Friend.

Yeah you can tell Star Aunt is delighted by this surprise sign of growth.

Star Aunt is good people so far. Not sure what to expect out of this conversation though.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Cassidy Tailor. Nice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bussamove posted:

:allears:

It's pretty much confirmation that Mingxing has Kokoro's best interests at heart and that she's not about to try to peg the two of them for murder or something.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
when they interview Vedika she'll just do the "let me show you what I saw" thing won't she

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

:allears:

It's pretty much confirmation that Mingxing has Kokoro's best interests at heart and that she's not about to try to peg the two of them for murder or something.
Ok, I know we were all joking about Undine and Heartful Punch being sent up the river for holding hands. But why would any of these magical girls be suspected of murder to begin with?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Close acquaintances who just had a big fight with someone who then disappears would be one of the first suspects in an investigation of foul play. Statistically they are likely to have had something to do with it, especially if you ignore details of the specific situation like "Undine would never do that."

At least in the real world. The persistent threat of nightly monster attacks would probably change that calculus somewhat for their world.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Cassidy was so unlikable that everyone immediately expects that somebody shanked her.

They try to find out who did it, so they can give them a medal.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

When i say taken away for murder I mean it as a joke but... I'd be shocked if CDD didnt at least consider that Superpowered Teen Drama didn't lead to more than just going off alone that night, even if it's statistically unlikely.

Hell I doubt Cassidy was the only one in the city who suspected Undine of having something to do with her team's deaths; wouldn't surprise me if the CDD had to at least briefly consider it just as due diligence

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

rannum posted:

When i say taken away for murder I mean it as a joke but... I'd be shocked if CDD didnt at least consider that Superpowered Teen Drama didn't lead to more than just going off alone that night, even if it's statistically unlikely.

Hell I doubt Cassidy was the only one in the city who suspected Undine of having something to do with her team's deaths; wouldn't surprise me if the CDD had to at least briefly consider it just as due diligence

On top of that, everybody with powers in this world is a teen. Being a teen sucks even without fighting monsters every night. I'm sure the added resources provided for magical girls are at least partially to mitigate this, and considering the story of HP's birth it's likely a lot of incidents are covered up, but two magical girls having a fight that results in at least one of them getting injured or at worst dying seems...not unlikely? Probable enough that the CDD likely prepares for it frequently, whether or not it actually happens often?

I'm sure stuff like "a magical girl lashes out and intentionally or unintentionally destroys a building" is in their emergency plans too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I get the feeling that, if that had been what happened, this wouldn't be the first time the CDD had to cover up a murder.

And it would be a cover-up. They need society in general to be okay with trusting their safety to super-powered children and that's worth more than meting out justice. What happened to Cassidy seems like the kind of thing they would say happened to cover for a lethal argument.