Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I've been super busy with shearing jobs so I've forgotten to post about Biscuit 2.0. I was running out to a job on the 27th and looked over to see a cormo about to lamb. She had no udder development at all so I knew I was going to have to stay to feed the lamb its first meal so I messaged the client that I was going to be late. Pulled the lamb, tubed her some colostrum and was only 30 minutes late!

Bitty beep was under 4 lbs at birth and only just hit 4 lbs this past weekend. Her mom was thoroughly grossed out by the prospect of being a mom and never developed an udder so she's my lamb now. She's been in and out of my bathroom because she's been so fragile but seems to be doing ok now. She is extremely cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw6s0RCfO_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR4H_nOuBEs

I went to my parent's house for Easter yesterday and the beep had to come with me. My mom was so excited :3:

All the excitement wore her out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
That is an extreme amount of cuteness holy poop.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Her mom was thoroughly grossed out by the prospect of being a mom and never developed an udder so she's my lamb now.
Is the no-udder-development thing likely to happen again to this ewe?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is she just jealous about how cute Biscuit 2 is?

E: Sry I'm also curious. I also want to know if she yells at you.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 6, 2021

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's sad the ewe essentially abandoned the lamb, but the lamb is adorable and will now love you forever.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm not sure, it was a really weird year and I usually am pretty willing to give second chances but I'm planning on downsizing the cormo flock this year and she's going to be a hard sell to anyone looking for a breeding animal. My gut instinct is that this was a one time thing but I couldn't guarantee it.

ILL Machina posted:

Is she just jealous about how cute Biscuit 2 is?

E: Sry I'm also curious. I also want to know if she yells at you.

She has a cute tiny baa. The terrible "AAAAAAGHHH" is one of the triplets I'm supplementing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twnpKrwDQqE

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

To be quite fair if I had a family member who was all "oh no I have to bring this cute little lamb with me to the get together" they would be the single most popular member of the family.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bitty beep was under 4 lbs at birth and only just hit 4 lbs this past weekend. Her mom was thoroughly grossed out by the prospect of being a mom and never developed an udder so she's my lamb now. She's been in and out of my bathroom because she's been so fragile but seems to be doing ok now. She is extremely cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw6s0RCfO_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR4H_nOuBEs

I went to my parent's house for Easter yesterday and the beep had to come with me. My mom was so excited :3:

Well now you just gotta call that sweet little thing Beep. And hug her and pet her and smoosh that little face and aaaagh :magical:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Aaaaaaah that is an extremely cute baby!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

HI

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I was wondering how the lambs were doing. Dear god, this one is adorable.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

That is one painfully photogenic baby sheep. Good lord, my heart.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Too drat cute for my wrinkly heart to manage. Since this one is being hand-raised, will they be able to join the others once weaned?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Too drat cute for my wrinkly heart to manage. Since this one is being hand-raised, will they be able to join the others once weaned?

Yes, I keep bottle lambs in the barn as much as possible so they learn to sheep. I've got two more ewes due to lamb in a few days so when they pop I'll introduce her to those lambs. Right now the other lambs are much bigger than her and she's kind of delicate so she's in a separate pen where she can see them but not interact unsupervised. I think it's important for sheep to know how to be happy with their own kind, even if their mom sucks.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Yes, I keep bottle lambs in the barn as much as possible so they learn to sheep. I've got two more ewes due to lamb in a few days so when they pop I'll introduce her to those lambs. Right now the other lambs are much bigger than her and she's kind of delicate so she's in a separate pen where she can see them but not interact unsupervised. I think it's important for sheep to know how to be happy with their own kind, even if their mom sucks.

Good advice for any species IMO.

Do you notice any difference in behavior with bottle lambs once they are grown up? It sounds like you've done this before, so I am sure you have some sheep somewhere who are socially happy with their own kind but also acted a little different towards people? Are they more affectionate/beg for more food because of the association, do they lean hard into their new sheep life or nothin?

Edit: Thanks! That's really heartening to know, that they thrived so much that you had a hard time finding them unless they sought you out. Very cool!

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 6, 2021

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Chaosfeather posted:

Good advice for any species IMO.

Do you notice any difference in behavior with bottle lambs once they are grown up? It sounds like you've done this before, so I am sure you have some sheep somewhere who are socially happy with their own kind but also acted a little different towards people? Are they more affectionate/beg for more food because of the association, do they lean hard into their new sheep life or nothin?

I'm not OP of course, but as I remember it our average bottle-raised bummer lamb was pretty hard to pick out of a flock, but my personal pets (if they survived, the "pets" were the ones that needed the most babying) would come up to you.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Went out to the barn this morning to find Woodrose doting on a gorgeous little lilac ram, just like I’d asked for! Got them penned up and went about my other chores. Saw a second lilac ram walking around the barn. Pansy, an old granny who didn’t lamb this year, had lured him away and he bonded to her instead of his mom 😠 Now Woodrose doesn’t want him and he doesn’t want her and I have to go through the whole hassle of convincing her if she wants her favorite boy she needs to deal with both.

The lambs are in a little dog crate together so she can't separate out her favorite, the changeling is rubbed down with her placenta, and Woodrose has some vaporub on her nose so they'll smell the same. I just need to convince her that 2 is the right number of lambs now.

She is slowly improving, mostly because she hates me more than she hates the lamb. She still tries to nudge him away but her resolve is weakened. I'm hoping I'll only need to force the issue for a day or two before she caves and just deals with both of them.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Woodrose has some vaporub on her nose so they'll smell the same.

Oh drat, I had forgotten about this particular trick. Mom never really used vaporub on us kids, but she definitely put it on the sheep!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

It's interesting to read about the tricks to get the animals to behave the way you want, though I must say placenta and vapourrub sound a bit less disgusting than the fresh dead baby lamb coat.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

So a little while back I asked Instant Jellyfish to send me some jacob wool and some pictures of Twofer, and this is what I ended up with! It was very cool working with fibre from animals I feel like I know personally and I'm super pleased how he turned out :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Organza Quiz posted:

So a little while back I asked Instant Jellyfish to send me some jacob wool and some pictures of Twofer, and this is what I ended up with! It was very cool working with fibre from animals I feel like I know personally and I'm super pleased how he turned out :3:

:eyepop: That's gorgeous!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Organza Quiz posted:

Thank you for posting this! I was going to and then got busy (the story of my life). It really is so fantastic and made me so happy to see :3: You're very talented!

This Wednesday I'm is going to a professional photographer as part of a model call. Will my sheep destroy this man's fancy studio? Probably.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thank you for posting this! I was going to and then got busy (the story of my life). It really is so fantastic and made me so happy to see :3: You're very talented!

This Wednesday I'm is going to a professional photographer as part of a model call. Will my sheep destroy this man's fancy studio? Probably.

You better be taking that hand-raised sweetheart of a baby lamb with you. We need more photos of her! :shepface:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

First things first, I'm finally done lambing! Reba had a lovely single ram lamb yesterday and I'm glad that's a wrap. I have no idea who the father is besides it has to be one of the jacobs.

Next, the boys were so good at the photo studio! The photographer said they were better than a lot of dogs he's worked with. He was so excited to meet them :3: His name is Greg Murray if you want to see him post the rest of the shoot but here's the one picture he's posted so far. I'm was a natural model.

I thought about bringing Beep but I didn't have anyone to help me handle the boys and three sheep handled by one person was going to be too much. She is extremely cute and good though.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

First things first, I'm finally done lambing! Reba had a lovely single ram lamb yesterday and I'm glad that's a wrap. I have no idea who the father is besides it has to be one of the jacobs.

Next, the boys were so good at the photo studio! The photographer said they were better than a lot of dogs he's worked with. He was so excited to meet them :3: His name is Greg Murray if you want to see him post the rest of the shoot but here's the one picture he's posted so far. I'm was a natural model.

I thought about bringing Beep but I didn't have anyone to help me handle the boys and three sheep handled by one person was going to be too much. She is extremely cute and good though.

This is art

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Next, the boys were so good at the photo studio! The photographer said they were better than a lot of dogs he's worked with. He was so excited to meet them :3:

I've always wondered how getting professional studio shots of animals goes. Looks like this set was easier than I would have guessed. I'm looks so handsome!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How did Reba manage to get knocked up on the sly?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How did Reba manage to get knocked up on the sly?

I didn't latch a gate quite right and the rams escaped. Of all the many ewes I have the only one to get bred was 12 year old Reba. I should have given her the morning after shot but it totally slipped my mind until 4 months later when she was looking suspicious.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I forgot to post this Beep video. She’s showing off her teefers because rubbing her cheek is triggering a suckle reflex. She is exactly as soft as she looks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNQClHpdF7Q

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You actually named that sweet little thing Beep :allears: :stwoon:.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I forgot to post this Beep video. She’s showing off her teefers because rubbing her cheek is triggering a suckle reflex. She is exactly as soft as she looks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNQClHpdF7Q

I had almost forgotten that Sheep don't have upper front teeth

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

That video is ridiculously adorable...

Is Biscuit doing ok with their new family?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ILL Machina posted:

Biscuit is doing great! He's always cuddled up with his brother or mom and you wouldn't even know about his rough start if you saw him.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Biscuit is doing great! He's always cuddled up with his brother or mom and you wouldn't even know about his rough start if you saw him.

Squeeeeee. What a tragic but heartwarming story. You should try to use him in your occasional education if you can! No one will forget him ever and I have to assume new ranchers could use the case study.

E: sorry I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about. I just want everyone to know him.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 16, 2021

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I love all the pictures of your sheep/goats I really just want to walk across the country and pinch their cheeks! They are that adorable!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

I had to turn it off because it sounds like my cat that will howl into my ear while I am sleeping. Not a nice thing to wake up to but oh well.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I had to turn it off because it sounds like my cat that will howl into my ear while I am sleeping. Not a nice thing to wake up to but oh well.

The one where she's scratching his chin? Beeps not making any noise, but you can hear...major or mina?...in the bg of the chin scratching vid.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Read this whole thread and its been adorable and educational. Its really funny how baby animals are so smug about their own cuteness. They know how adorable they are, its wonderful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How is Beep doing? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How is Beep doing? :ohdear:

Beep keeps on beeping.

The other sheep find her super annoying so I'm low-key looking for a home with another bottle lamb for her. I like her but it's more important that she has sheep friends.
I don't know why anyone would find her annoying :rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx2uIa2YYwQ

She's so cute but so incredibly dumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y_AKi-7obY

The sheep got into the wrong pasture the other day and Scout had to help me move them back. They were being real ornery but we got them out in the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kgu0kpjT0w