Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

Aw poor girl. I hope she feels better.

Give that girl some chicken or a burger, she's looks so thin.

I'll be honest, I really don't like comments implying that I'm underfeeding my dog

her weight is checked often with the vet

she maxed out a few years after I got her at like 73, right now she's in the low 60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
e: eh, never mind

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 11, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sorry if that was overly defensive, but I'm in a really sour mood right now.

The only other thing I noticed is that they trimmed her nails, and some of them are REALLY short - I'm wondering if this could be causing issues with traction? I've never seen them so short before. I don't think they hit the quick, but still.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
If anything I would think short nails would help with traction. I've heard long nails on dogs described as walking in high heels since it distorts how their feet are positioned.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

If anything I would think short nails would help with traction. I've heard long nails on dogs described as walking in high heels since it distorts how their feet are positioned.

Yeah, this is what I think. Either way, I'm sorry to hear about how Abby's feeling :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, this is what I think. Either way, I'm sorry to hear about how Abby's feeling :(

If they did hit the quick that would make the feet incredibly tender for a while which could influence her ability to walk.

Anyway good luck Abby girl :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh my god I just noticed this on the other back leg. there's this soft bulge, and in general the leg is larger than usual. Jesus gently caress I hope it's not a tumor :|

Only registered members can see post attachments!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

oh my god I just noticed this on the other back leg. there's this soft bulge, and in general the leg is larger than usual. Jesus gently caress I hope it's not a tumor :|

You would think they would have caught that when messing with her other leg. Did it appear suddenly?

The position is a bit weird but it could be something like bursitis, where the fluid sack surrounding a joint gets ruptured or inflamed. You wind up with a horrendous looking balloon near the joint. I got that on my elbow from a bike accident; took maybe two weeks to go away. I am not a vet, of course.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I hope so, the leg is clearly larger and "thicker" then the other back leg (the treated one). Yes it appeared suddenly, I was just noticing that that leg seemed a bit odd.

I did email the vet, but that circled area where greyhound fur is paper thin is definitely thicker on the other leg

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

david_a posted:

The position is a bit weird but it could be something like bursitis, where the fluid sack surrounding a joint gets ruptured or inflamed. You wind up with a horrendous looking balloon near the joint. I got that on my elbow from a bike accident; took maybe two weeks to go away. I am not a vet, of course.

Ah yes, thank you! I was struggling to think of what that was called. Happened to a friend of mine a while ago - hopefully it's just something like that, and not something more... ominous. I hope you hear back from the vet ASAP, either way

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks, this one shows the swelling pretty well

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Big, unexpected lumps are scary. Hopefully the fact that it came up so quickly means that it is a bursa. Holding thumbs for you guys and Abby.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The vet said that it was edema, she said it should improve in the next week or to, otherwise to let them know. Also avoid stairs and possibly get a harness to help her up. She did ask if there were splotches anywhere else on her body, which could indicate other issues, but thankfully there are not. She very recently had her labs done and things that may be of interest (like platelets) were all normal.

The vet also said that that leg is where she did an injection, so that could have some relation, but also just because of her age it could easily be from some minor trauma like hitting it on a stair (which has happened several times).

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

The vet said that it was edema, she said it should improve in the next week or to, otherwise to let them know. Also avoid stairs and possibly get a harness to help her up. She did ask if there were splotches anywhere else on her body, which could indicate other issues, but thankfully there are not. She very recently had her labs done and things that may be of interest (like platelets) were all normal.

The vet also said that that leg is where she did an injection, so that could have some relation, but also just because of her age it could easily be from some minor trauma like hitting it on a stair (which has happened several times).

Glad to hear it’s nothing major. Hope she is feeling more comfortable each day.

Our girl peed on the drat floor again last night at 2am. Wasn’t convinced she did a proper pee when I took her out just before bed and then she gulped a bunch of water down when we got back in (as we take the stairs, four flights, so I usually let her have a little when back) before I could stop her. I guess I should empty her water bowl to just a little for when she comes up before I take her down for the last time.

:negative:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks

on the bright side, I can verify that the cordura liner on this new mammoth bed works very well. Abby helped me test it by peeing on it overnight (my fault, I didn't take her out late enough last night), and I didn't notice it until just now. Most of the urine stayed on the outermost denim outer part, and the other denim cover over the bolster. The cordura liner was just a bit damp, and I just washed that under the faucet. The grey liner that covers the actual foam was completely dry. The two denim covers (which come together with velcro, which is much nicer than a zipper) go in the wash.

edit: yes, no water before bed is always a good idea. I might even try taking away water several hours before bed. Basically nothing after their last pee of the evening.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Walking around with Katie in the apartment complex is somewhat hazardous. She’s learned that the dumpsters are very interesting because often stuff falls out when they’re emptied and it “drifts” a bit around the area as it gets kicked around or driven over.

On Saturday she found what I think was the center of a pork chop and growled fiercely at me when I tried to take it away. She crunched that down but “thankfully” it came back up at 7:45 the next morning. Today she found a little chicken bone and that got crunched down before I could react.

Hopefully the bone won’t cause any problems but you really can’t zone out when walking her; somehow you have to stay ahead of looking for anything she might try to eat. It’s a lot harder when she’s sniffing around in grass and then 1 times out of 100 she’ll proudly come up with a glob of cat poo poo I have to pry from her jaws.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

My dog was interested in a tree the other day, which is nothing out of the ordinary, he's interested in literally every tree he sees. As we walked past this specific tree the second time, he managed to eat a dried fruit buried in the grass. It was down his gullet before I got to his face.

He seems to be no worse for wear, as this was a few days ago. :argh:

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 5, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Re: the no water after the last pee thing. Is it ok to then take them for a 30-45min walk first thing the next morning?

I guess I do the same when I think about it but not sure that’s helpful.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

When we first got Boudicca, she would constantly get sick with gastro. Then, one day, I realised that she kept going back to the same place in the park. It was also the same place where a homeless man had made his toilet. :barf: Once we stopped going to that park, her stomach issues miraculously stopped as well.

actionjackson posted:

Yay Abby! :woop: Is she walking better as well?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Red_Fred posted:

Re: the no water after the last pee thing. Is it ok to then take them for a 30-45min walk first thing the next morning?

I guess I do the same when I think about it but not sure that’s helpful.

I'd offer water before going out but it should be fine

Spartys gluttonous thirst and inside accidents were traced to his food causing kidney load. Switching to prescription food fixed it, after which we tried cheaper foods and since then he's been (mostly) fine

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Radiation Cow posted:

Yay Abby! :woop: Is she walking better as well?

A little bit. She has an easier time jumping on my bed now, but doesn't seem interested in lying on the ground anywhere. I'm just going to let her do that until the swelling goes away, and continue to avoid stairs.

I would definitely recommend the mammoth bed btw. For the time being I'm going to add one of those pee pads just for super extra insurance, so her bed layers will be

light blanket
thick blanket (tucked into bolster)
pee pad
bed cover
cordura waterproof liner
foam cover
foam

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
While we’re sorta on the topic of food, which kibble do you buy? I’m not sure if I should switch because her bowel movements are quite often very bad. The first time is usually OK but it gets progressively worse over the day.

Katie gets Purina Pro Plan Adult Essentials. It’s beef based which my adoption group heavily recommends. According to the Livingood book, I think it might have slightly too much protein? She gets canned pumpkin mixed in, which I think is the only thing that keeps her stools somewhat solid.

Katie has been chowing down on grass fairly regularly when we go out. She never throws up because of it even though she seems to eat quite a bit.

From my understanding there are three factors that are most likely:
* she still has these horrible drug resistant hookworms. The vet said not even to bother retesting her until 6 months, so she’s halfway through her minimum treatment. I know this impacts her bowels a lot but it’s hard to know how much.
* the food may be upsetting her because the nutrition is slightly off.
* a lot of greyhounds are apparently known to be grazers. Are there any other hounds in here that do this?

She loves this kibble and it’s what I use as her standard go-to treat. Should I hold off changing anything until the hookworms are gone?

david_a fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 13, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I used dog food advisor when deciding. I was skeptical when you said "Purina" but the ratings for it aren't that bad.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-pro-plan-dog-food-dry/#example-review

However I think it has wheat as one of it's primary ingredients? Can you take a picture of the ingredient list?

I know that once I switched Abby to a grain-free food she did much better. She gets taste of the wild salmon - taste of the wild has a bunch of varieties, all grain-free. If you do switch, you want to do it slowly so she can adjust. I will say that here we have a store that seems to have some deal with their manufacturer, as the prices are pretty good (like $50 / 30 pounds) where the other premium brands they carry are quite a bit more (like solid gold)

Dog food advisor shows ingredients for another Purina formula, and typically you want to avoid having anything red high up in the list, as they are listed in order of %

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 13, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Greyhounds poop at the rate of 2 poops/mile, where each poop gets progressively runnier and smaller.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We need 3 bags for a 30-45 minute walk. The 3rd bag gets used about half the time. I think he's out of poop after number 3 though. I've never seen him go for a fourth. And yeah I basically have to try and catch it as it comes out for number 2 and 3 because otherwise it's a mess that's not going to get thoroughly picked up.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
We carry half sheets of newspaper and try to slip it under his bum. He will always try for number 4 and can usually get a drip, but number is just going through the motions.

I wonder what would happen if I laced his food with psyllium husk fiber.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I threw away the bag but there’s an ingredient list on the Amazon page. My group doesn’t recommend the grain-free stuff; I haven’t really looked into it much. This was my adoption rep’s second choice for the dogs she fosters in case they refuse the normal stuff they buy (couldn’t find that one).

It sounds like maybe she’s not that different from other greys so it might just be the hookworm making it worse. I think I’ll reevaluate when they’re finally gone.

NomNomNom posted:

I wonder what would happen if I laced his food with psyllium husk fiber.

I actually used that in the beginning but it didn’t seem to do that much; the pumpkin was an immediate improvement.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Grain-free seems to be a contentious thing for some reason, but Abby has done great on it

I looked at the ingredient list, and I'm not a fan of a few things that are so prominent

quote:

Beef, Rice Flour, Whole Grain Wheat Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry By-Product Meal (Source Of Glucosamine), Soybean Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Beef Tallow Preserved With Mixed-Tocopherols, Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Fish Meal (Source Of Glucosamine), Natural Liver Flavor, Glycerin, Mono And Dicalcium Phosphate, Wheat Bran, Soybean Oil, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Biotin (Vitamin B-7)], Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product, Garlic Oil. O446917

I don't think anyone recommends corn very highly for dogs.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

We use Hill's Prescription Diet Gastrointestinal Biome on our vet's recommendation. It's definitely cleared up any GI issues that Boudicca had. Gello eats a raw food that our vet recommended. Both dogs have relatively normal poop and will definitely do at least four poops a day.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby is doing a bit better. She did not fall while relieving herself today and is able to easily jump onto my bed. She also seems to be figuring out her new bed, it's taken her a while to get used to the bolster when circling to lie down. I just took her out and then took away her water, which she was not happy about!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
In related news, we've gotten lazy about putting the lid down because Spartacus has been doing well.

Last night I heard him drinking from the toilet :cripes:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DarkHorse posted:

In related news, we've gotten lazy about putting the lid down because Spartacus has been doing well.

Last night I heard him drinking from the toilet :cripes:

lol I still make sure to close the bathroom doors for this reason

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Your dogs go into the bathroom? Ours are mortally afraid of it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
On that note how and how often do you bathe your hounds? Watson has only really gotten a sponge bath one in the 8 months we've had him, he's deathly afraid of the hose and the tub/faucet (which is funny because he's normally very brave and inquisitive)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We do it every 2 or 3 months. Take him into the shower with a detachable showerhead. He's gotten kind of used to it in that he will come when we call him and willingly walk into the shower. But he has a completely dejected face and just looks so sad the whole time.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I think our problem is that we have to lift him into the tub, he's not nearly coordinated enough to jump or step in by himself. He's okay being picked up but really doesn't love it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

once a year, but I don't have a yard for her to get dirty in

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Barley makes this face when she wants my food:

Re: poop foot, a couple weeks ago I woke up at 5:30am and fed Barley and Jody. I was in a just-awakened haze and my foot slid on something slimy on the floor. I turned on the lights and realized that one of the girls had stepped in poo poo outside, tracked it in through our kitchen, all down the hallway, and RIGHT UP INTO OUR BED. It was Jody. We took her outside and hosed off her paws, then put her paw through the MudBuster with some warm soapy water. Then I hosed off my foot, cleaned the floors with a steam cleaner, cleaned the bedroom rug, and washed all of our bedding. Then I showered myself paying extra attention to my foot. But after all that, how can you stay mad at this face?:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Why do you look like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby is on my bed pretty much all day

and now I'm lying down on it, and I let her jump on and slowly crowd me out so I'm just on the edge

just getting completely owned by my dog