Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I watched One Piece in 2015 or so and it's really a tear jerker in parts. So brace yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hey I said “too”. We’ll all get together to post about One Piece Kai in 2040, don’t worry about it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm watching One Piece for the first time ever, and I just finished Episode 8, and I teared up a little when Shou Shou got his little bit of dog food from Luffy.

I’ll post with you friend.

Be prepared for a ton of those moments.

If you think you care about those characters now, wait until another 50 eps or so.

One piece has the best character development of any show I’ve ever watched.

You also have the advantage of knowing during the lovely slow parts of the show that it’s worth it for how insanely awesome it’s been over the last year. Should make it less of a slog.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I will say I never noticed the parts that dragged when I was marathoning it. It's a much more apparent problem when you're watching week to week.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Honestly, I watch a lot of hot garbage, so having one piece to watch instead of youtube is a bonus for me, even if it might drag a bit. Boy with slingshot seems like a good dude, and some day I will remember red headed navigators name.

e; I'm sorry, red headed thief

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Honestly, I watch a lot of hot garbage, so having one piece to watch instead of youtube is a bonus for me, even if it might drag a bit. Boy with slingshot seems like a good dude, and some day I will remember red headed navigators name.

e; I'm sorry, red headed thief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

Here this will help you remember everyones name.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

Here this will help you remember everyones name.

Good ol' Lolonoa Zolo.

I'm in Dressrosa, where the Eng dub currently is.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Now that the guy who sung the English version of We Are turned out to be a scumbag monster, the Pirate Rap can take back its rightful throne as the King Of The English Opening. Can’t believe we ever hated that theme...

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Last Celebration posted:

Now that the guy who sung the English version of We Are turned out to be a scumbag monster, the Pirate Rap can take back its rightful throne as the King Of The English Opening. Can’t believe we ever hated that theme...

Speak for yourself, many of us have been loyal to the Pirate Rap all along.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Do you mean the scrapped 4Kids version or the one from the Funimation dub? Either way, who sang it and what did he do?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Apologies, I shouldn’t presume that everyone was as wrongheaded as me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Larryb posted:

Do you mean the scrapped 4Kids version or the one from the Funimation dub? Either way, who sang it and what did he do?

Vic Mignogna sang We Are for Funi's first opening. He's a sexual harassing shithead.

Luckily, we got this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5elivsTUKg

I remember seeing this in 2010. So excited to see more of Shanks. Just had to wait almost a decade.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Larryb posted:

Funimation, there’s a thread on him here (Vic Mignoma) if you want the details but I’m not trying to be Captain bring down for new viewers so I won’t elaborate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Funimation, there’s a thread on him here (Vic Mignoma) if you want the details but I’m not trying to be Captain bring down for new viewers so I won’t elaborate.

Ah yes, I know all about Vic. I see your point then.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tolth posted:

Speak for yourself, many of us have been loyal to the Pirate Rap all along.

It's no Bink's Sake, but I liked it even when I wouldn't give One Piece a chance due to the cartoony art style and everyone armed with super soakers.

Which is weird because in retrospect Vegapunk developed water guns would probably be decent weapons in One Piece.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I really enjoyed One Piece: Stampede. The only thing that missing that would have put it over the top for me would have been if Big Mom had shown up somehow.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It does feel a bit odd that NO ONE part of the For Emperors' crews showed up to this huge pirate gathering. I can understand why, if the Emperors themselves showed up, it'd be too easy to defeat Bullet. And I guess if one of their crewmates were there, they'd immediately call their captain to come help when poo poo went down.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

I will say I never noticed the parts that dragged when I was marathoning it. It's a much more apparent problem when you're watching week to week.

Oh, you haven't reached Skypeia yet?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

As great as this battle is likely to be (in the like year it’s going to take to start knowing the pacing), I’m very sad to leave Oden’s story behind.

One of the best characters Oda has produced. And the whitebeard/roger sections were among some of the best episodes in the series. I wish there were more.

I’m aware part of it is just finally getting to see it. But waiting legit 15+ years to see roger and crew, and getting such a wonderful set of episodes, makes me very happy. Toei is clearly giving great treatment to Wano and I hope it stays through the rest of the arc.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Haha, now I feel bad saying I'm so happy this arc finally ended.

Maybe it's because I know how it ends, I'm not sure. Maybe I just miss Luffy.

I'm pretty sure the spy is Kanjuro unless all the evidence is a red-herring and it's actually Kin'nemon.

I really like seeing previous holders of fruits. It's funny to think Toki kept her fruit out of circulation for 800 years. It feels tragic she jumped that much, but didn't make it to her original goal. She had so much valuable knowledge.

That's the funny thing about One Piece - there are protagonists who know everything, like Reyleigh, yet somehow all the mysteries are still mysteries.

Kind of messed up Toki left her daughter behind but sent her son into the future. Especially considering what she had to go through.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm not quite done with Dressrosa, I have 10 more eps to go, but Doflamingo has been defeated so I figure it's safe to comment on this all now. The thought occurred to me during the final flashback showing how Trebol and the others took in little Doffy.

Doffy...is Shigaraki and the Donquixote Family is the League of Villains. Only way better n both cases. A young, traumatized child was taken in and groomed into the finest instrument of pure evil. Like, unambiguously - no delusions of grandeur or nobility, they are both card carrying villains. Doffy is much older than Shiggy so he outgrew his selfish phase before we even meet him but in both cases the childish selfishness their handlers indulged them with blossomed into an ideology. An ideology of burning everything to the ground.

I'm not saying it's 1:1, plenty of differences between all these characters, I just feel like I'm onto something with the comparison and I bring it up mainy to illustrate how I find Doffy and the Family far more convincing and compelling than Shiggy and the League. Doflamingo and the Executives, in their own warped way, do really care for each other and have undying loyalty and faith in their twisted mission and leader. And had it not been for a fluke series of events involving a bounce man, they probably had every reason to have faith in their charismatic leader. And of course Doffy had every reason to consider the "Family" his only family and the only humans who weren't insects beneath his notice or care. He'd be nothing and alone without them, or so he would think in his hosed up mind.

my love for Doffy is no doubt colored by the fact he's voiced by Robert Mc Collum. He just always voices the best characters/villains, like Stain in MHA or Ssensui in YYH or Jellal in FT. I also was shocked that Senor Pink got such a heartwrenching backstory to explain why he dressed like that.

in story questions, are Awakened Devil Fruits super rare, even among characters much stronger than Doflamingo?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

NikkolasKing posted:

in story questions, are Awakened Devil Fruits super rare, even among characters much stronger than Doflamingo?

You'll get more answers to "awakened devil fruits" later, but there was actually one mention earlier that most people overlooked at the time: the animal guards on level 2 of impel down are said to be awakened zoans. But yeah, in story terms, it's quite rare.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We're about to hit 1,000 episodes. As far as I know, there's nothing special planned for this week's airing, right?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Shadow0 posted:

We're about to hit 1,000 episodes. As far as I know, there's nothing special planned for this week's airing, right?

I'm hype for General Franky vs Big Mom

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Looking to watch the series from the start with a friend who hasn't seen it... any opinions on how One Pace handles the early parts of the series?

I watched the One Pace versions of Thriller Bark and later with a DIFFERENT friend and they seemed fine, but I want to make sure I show my new friend the best possible versions of the early stuff.

Thoughts?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO the first 150 or so eps are mostly pace fine, but if you're in a hurry one pace seemed fine to me. it also skips some fillers

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

One Pace should be fine. There's also a few specials that are remastered abridged versions of the early stuff like Episode of Nami and Episode of East blue.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm hype for General Franky vs Big Mom

Looks like it's going to be a while thanks to Robin. They did end up doing something though, and I thought it was a nice tribute. Pretty good episode.
I noticed this before, but they always seem to title the episodes whatever happens in the last 10 seconds / next episode.

I hate that the episode count is such a huge barrier for people. One Piece is pretty consistently very good (it desperately needs some kind of Kai treatment, for sure), but people see the number of episodes and decide not to give it a try, which is a shame.
The people that do eventually get into it always end up switching to the manga eventually too. :(

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, it's such a pain that the content is stretched out so much. I guess they feel they have to have a big buffer between the manga and anime in case something happens to Oda?

Speaking of which, the episode preview implies the next one is a filler/recap episode with Barto narrating what's happened in the current arc so far. Way to wreck the pace just when things were finally starting to come together!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

Yeah, it's such a pain that the content is stretched out so much. I guess they feel they have to have a big buffer between the manga and anime in case something happens to Oda?

Speaking of which, the episode preview implies the next one is a filler/recap episode with Barto narrating what's happened in the current arc so far. Way to wreck the pace just when things were finally starting to come together!

Didn’t we literally just have a recap episode not too long ago?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Yeah episode 1000 was more or less a clip show

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Probably to give them a chance to catch up.

I haven’t read the manga, but I assume we have a shitload more high priority fights, and if they’re all animated like last ep they probably need breathing room.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ep 1000 wasn't too bad. I appreciated the special OP and celebrating that the whole crew is finally back in one place instead of being scattered around Wano. Though could have done with less recap.

I guess the problem they have to deal with is if they want to animate the gently caress out of a fight it's going to take longer than a week to do it, so they have to insert filler segments and reuse scenes? A side effect of the required weekly episode releases to avoid losing the TV slot?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

its christmas you dweebs

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

its christmas you dweebs

Yeah, it's likely just to give all parties involved a bit of breathing room over the holiday break.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

its christmas you dweebs

It's Japan, so New Year's is probably the real issue here. 🍗

But it's not like we've had these kinds of episodes at this time in years past. At least not that I remember. If the crew is actually getting some time off, that's great. I'm sure they need it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

its christmas you dweebs

Most of Toei’s other shows are running normal non-recap episodes then, it’s New Year’s where most Japanese series’ usually take a week off.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Getting a bit tiring everyone stressing how important Momo is despite him never doing anything at all ever. Also he has a sister, who no one cares about, despite being just as much of the bloodline. Even the mom didn't bother sending her to safety in the future.

I guess it parallels the royal family of Japan and how they resisted to the very end to recognize women as potential heirs.

Also Momo doesn't even possess any inherited skills from his father.

It feels at odds with the rest of the theming of One Piece, especially like the Celestials. He's significant only through birth and has some mandate of heaven.

Maybe something will happen later, but for now, it's a bit silly.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I get the feeling Momo's "useless" dragon form will come in handy as soon as he finds his courage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
We saw in Zou he has some ability to use the voice of all things, and he has been getting better at pushing past his fear & PTSD to inspire & motivate his people.