Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

wolrah posted:

$deity please let this be true. Samsung has great hardware but I refuse to touch a third-rate single vendor OS when the whole point to me is the apps. If they bring their hardware back to Wear OS it could be the thing to finally kickstart the market. Especially if their SoC division gets involved and finally forces Qualcomm to put more than the bare minimum effort in to the category.

Yeah I gotta say I tried a galaxy watch and I really liked it except that I could not use stuff like the keep app and google maps for biking. If they swap to wear os I'll probably give it a shot, especially if the performance is better than my Fossil Sport (which probably wouldn't be too hard to achieve)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The thing is, every time I see that rumor cited it's that Samsung will use Android for their next watch, not WearOS. Obviously there's the whole CTS thing and all that entails along with how the OHA works but I just find it odd.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

The thing is, every time I see that rumor cited it's that Samsung will use Android for their next watch, not WearOS. Obviously there's the whole CTS thing and all that entails along with how the OHA works but I just find it odd.

I just assume most people don't know it rebranded from Android wear.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hey now, one of those new Motorola eBuyNow watches will have Qi charging and a 4100. I'm not in a rush to replace the Asus ZenWatch 2 I've been using, but I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Everyone keeps talking about the wireless charging, but no one's been talking about the two nubs visible on the back which seem like they should be some sort of sensor package. Stress or ecg?

Still though, I think I need to see google put some more commitment behind WearOS before I buy another one. These are probably all likely to be stupid high prices too and I've had way too many WearOS watches burn through their battery longevity before I drop $300 on one of them. One thing that Samsung does right about the Galaxy watches is screw on back sealed by a gasket instead of glue. It's possible to replace their battery without destroying them which should be table stakes for a watch.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Fully believeable that Samsung is pivoting off of Tizen. They've been having some insane sales on their watches (more than usual).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Everyone keeps talking about the wireless charging, but no one's been talking about the two nubs visible on the back which seem like they should be some sort of sensor package. Stress or ecg?

Those nubs look to me just like the ones that are on the current 360:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Those look like fasteners and are recessed.

I mean, could be the same thing, but there are some differences.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Those look like fasteners and are recessed.

I mean, could be the same thing, but there are some differences.

I was assuming you were referring to the two dots to the left and right of the center dot. Those are sensors. In the picture, the four gold dots in a row are the pogo pin connectors for the magnetic charger and the four dots around the perimeter are indeed recessed screwheads for removing the back.

On the leaked image, all of the same can be seen minus the pogo pins since the watch charges wirelessly instead:

The screws for holding the back on have no pattern on them but I'm pretty sure it's just a rendering and not an actual photo. Either way it looks like the same layout in terms of rear fasteners and central sensor array as the existing watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OnePlus's watch is leaked to have an oxygen sensor, 46mm dial option, and warp charging.

There's not confirmation that is running WearOS, but they were working with Google on WearOS so I would say it's likely.

I'm so happy there's a 46mm option because too many watches look like toys on my wrist.

Warp charging is interesting and I wonder how they will implement it (and what the actual charging speeds are.)

Should know everything on the 23rd.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not going to be WearOS, it's going to be RTOS.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/03/17/oneplus-watch-may-not-run-on-wear-os-after-all/

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Gshocks are getting wear os, but will be expensive

The Verge: Casio announces first Wear OS smartwatch in iconic G-Shock lineup.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/1/22362099/casio-gsw-h1000-g-shock-smartwatch-wear-os-google-price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJWiKVgKvI

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 2, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's also no indication what chip it uses either.

https://www.droid-life.com/2021/03/30/samsung-really-might-be-close-to-launching-wear-os-watches/

There's more evidence to indicate some sort of Samsung involvement with WearOS, but I'm wondering if it more along the lines of being able to register a galaxy watch with tizen with the wearOS app. We'll just have to see what happens.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

bull3964 posted:

There's also no indication what chip it uses either.

I keep seeing places make a big deal out of it, but it looks like a very, very, very light re-casing of the Pro Trek.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fairly reliable leaker (except for the last false prediction that cause him to shave his eyebrows off) Jon Prosser has some info on an incoming Pixel watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioX3XTRomM

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Fairly reliable leaker (except for the last false prediction that cause him to shave his eyebrows off) Jon Prosser has some info on an incoming Pixel watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioX3XTRomM

I'm tentatively hyped. Still using a Pebble.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I have a weird use case. I don't particularly like wearing watches, but I've recently gotten an ebike and rediscovered the joys of riding. I'm not looking for anything crazy (I think), I'd like to be able to run GPS, GPay and be able to get a notification if someone sends me a message or calls.

I'll have my phone with me so it wouldn't need to do this stuff stand alone, but the phone is normally tucked in my backpack where I never hear it go off. Is there something reasonable and cheap that can handle this instead of the $200-400 full featured stuff like the Fossils I see recommended?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

pointlessone posted:

I have a weird use case. I don't particularly like wearing watches, but I've recently gotten an ebike and rediscovered the joys of riding. I'm not looking for anything crazy (I think), I'd like to be able to run GPS, GPay and be able to get a notification if someone sends me a message or calls.

I'll have my phone with me so it wouldn't need to do this stuff stand alone, but the phone is normally tucked in my backpack where I never hear it go off. Is there something reasonable and cheap that can handle this instead of the $200-400 full featured stuff like the Fossils I see recommended?

To me, it sounds a bit like maybe a Fitbit would suit you better than a WearOS watch, if that's all you want it for. The fitness tracking is better, they handle notifications and while they don't have Google Pay, a lot of them do have Fitbit Pay which does basically the same thing.

I'm not really sure what's in the current range so can't recommend a specific model, but I know there are a few that do all of those things.

e: I have a gen 5 fossil and while I really like the watch, I find the fitness tracking stuff is one of its weakest points, so because it seems like it's your main use case, is why I say this.

chippy fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 15, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The only WearOS watch to even consider would be one with the 4100 and Mobvoi is the only one selling one. That said, they consider themselves "fitness focused" so maybe check out the reviews of the TicWatch Pro 3 to see if the fitness stuff is said to work well enough for you?

I've read lots of reviews of it but I don't care about fitness so I can't speak to what they say in that specific area.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Really like my Pro 3 and it leaves little to be desired but I am a fat goon who has not looked at all at the fitness stuff and wishes I could turn off all the sensors so preserve battery life.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

pointlessone posted:

Sooo not WearOs and missing Gpay. I love my little amazfit bip U. battery last forever, can do standalone GPS get notifications. You can't answer calls on watch some of their other models (around $150-200) can I believe. I've used wearOS watches (charge every 2 days) , I've tried expreimental non wear watches (which sucked), and the Amazfit is the watch I've stuck with the longest without seeking another solution.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WearOS just isn't a good choice for anything other than basic step counting. Fitness features have been left to whither on the vine.

Fitbit and Galaxy watches are the ones to look at if you want robust fitness tracking and NFC payments.

All that said, Samsung is having an event on the 28th and everyone is predicting them coming back to the wearOS fold and fixing all of Google's issues. I remain skeptical and Samsung watches are usually expensive on launch, but it might be worth waiting the two weeks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Note that Fitbit Pays bank coverage is really poor outside of America

Gpay supports 45 banks in the UK, Fitbit has... 9

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Honestly, I'm less concerned about the fitness tracking aspect. If it works, fine, but visual gps and notifications are key. I just want some method of contactless payments because it seems like a cool feature to not need to dig my wallet or phone out to grab a Gatorade at a gas station.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

pointlessone posted:

Honestly, I'm less concerned about the fitness tracking aspect. If it works, fine, but visual gps and notifications are key. I just want some method of contactless payments because it seems like a cool feature to not need to dig my wallet or phone out to grab a Gatorade at a gas station.

you might want a GPS based bike computer if you want useful turn by turn directions. Your watch might not work well for this aspect they're pretty small to really look at while riding.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, I'm really torn on NFC payments on the wrist.

They seem cool and good, but my real world experience with them is that they aren't any faster than pulling out your phone and are more prone to issues.

Part of this is device performance. You have to actually launch the Google Pay app prior to tapping, so it's not a single hand operation. The app launch can be laggy. Then, if you want to use something other than the default card, you have to cycle through them. At least on my gen 5, if you do it with the crown, it doesn't actually select the card that you moved to. So your really need to use the touch interface.

Then, to finish up, you may have to hold your arm at an awkward angle to get it close enough to the POS terminal.

If I have to use my right hand to manipulate something in order to pay, it's just easier to use it to pull my phone of my pocket while unlocking it and have it pay without opening anything (when using default card.). When using another card, the power menu picker is so much easier to use than the picker in the watch.

If they wanted to make Google Pay really nice on the watch, they should have a way to link loyalty cards to payment types and then link it to GPS for good measure. I'm at the grocery store? Hit the pay button on the watch and it brings up my loyalty card for the store automatically and then cycles to my preferred payment type for the store with another tap.

Just another example on how Google could make wear so much better but haven't.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

pointlessone posted:

If by visual GPS you mean you want to see a map on the screen, Google Maps is the only thing I've seen that can does this on WearOS, and it doesn't do a good job of it. The screen's too small and it's laggy. All the ride tracking things (including Googe Fit) that I've used just show you stats on the screen while you ride, rather than directions or a map.

e: I agree with everything the poster above me said about contactless payments. I used it once or twice when I got the watch and then went back to using my phone.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Payment on my Huawei watch was slow and laggy, but reliable, moreso than my actual card. On my TW3P, its snappy as everything is on the watch, but only works sometimes.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

There's one card I use for almost everything in person, so my Fossil watch defaults to it, and I set one of the physical buttons to bring up Pay. That makes it very fast and extremely reliable. I feel like it's faster than pulling my phone out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you just have one card, that's fine. I play the rewards game though so I need to use my Amex at the grocery store to get the 3% there but the capital one at target to get the 1.5% unless it's in the last quarter of the year where the discover card is preferred to get 5%. And so on.

Yeah, I guess you can say I complicated my own use case, but being able to choose between three or so different cards tends to be a pain on the watch.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

repiv posted:

Note that Fitbit Pays bank coverage is really poor outside of America

Gpay supports 45 banks in the UK, Fitbit has... 9

Worth noting that Google bought Fitbit and Google Pay is now supported on the most recent watches.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Pay on my Oppo watch has been pretty smooth, I ended up binding the second button to launch it and that works well.

On the other hand Assistant is completely loving broken and straight up doesn't work. Anything that needs to talk back to the phone like setting a reminder? "Can't connect to phone". Extra fun, if you have your language set to oh I dunno, Australian English, it works even less! Any standard command like "tell me something interesting" just searches the web and shows the first image it finds instead.

There's a huge thread on the Google bug tracker about it and they haven't done poo poo. Some people can get things to work by setting the speech language to US English but that didn't work for me.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

It makes me sad how broken wearables on Android are every time I see my girlfriend's Apple watch in action. Maybe some of the future Samsung or the mythical pixel watch this year will finally give me a decent option.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrNemo posted:

It makes me sad how broken wearables on Android are every time I see my girlfriend's Apple watch in action. Maybe some of the future Samsung or the mythical pixel watch this year will finally give me a decent option.

I had a couple wearos watches and recently got a Samsung Active 2 when it was on big sale. It's definitely better than the wearos watches for what I use, largely because gps connectivity was inconsistent just enough to be annoying (sometimes had to restart watch for strava to get gps, sometimes it lost signal during runs). The only downside is it linking up with samsung health on my pixel 5 has like double or tripled the idle battery drain so that it only lasts a day now, I think because it's constantly getting gps location, but not sure.

Kind of an unfair comparison obv, but I had a Apple Watch series 1 with an iphone SE 2nd gen and it was not really better than more recent wearos watches, definitely not better than this samsung.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would get more upset about it if I understood what "in action" means.

Like, I want notifications on my wrist and some nuggets of information. The current crop of stuff does that without that many warts and some of the stuff that is bad (like battery life) is equally bad in Apple Watch land. It just needs streamlined and cleaned up to provide a good experience.

Good fitness tracking would be nice, but you do get that on Galaxy watches. I guess maybe the assistant on Apple Watches responds better, but then its Siri so it comes down to "why bother?"

I just struggle for the use case of a wearable with a gigantic app platform and whatnot. Maybe I lack imagination, but I'm not sure what I would be doing on it.

Wear should distil down to the core.

Fitness Tracking with health metric trending
Notifications
Optimization (Performance/Battery Life)
Smooth and quick setup experience

Get rid of the loving app store on the device itself. No one wants to be checking google play for updates on their wrist. No one wants to be searching google play on their wrist to find apps or watch faces. If the thing you are doing when you interact with the watch isn't a 90/10 split of consumption/input then you are doing it wrong and stuff needs to be pulled back to the phone.

Plus, the hardware has to not loving suck. Fossil group watches fail far too often for what they cost at full MSRP and they aren't repairable in the slightest. Galaxy watches at least have screws to remove the back so you have a prayer of replacing the battery yourself.

Let me tell you a tale of moving my Fossil Sport from one device to another this past weekend.

1) Unpair and reset, I wait for that process to finish
2) Pair to new phone. Pairing fails to copy google account the first time (should have nuked from orbit at that point, but I went further).
3) Finished setup on retry, watch is now down to 30% battery after starting full and is quite warm to the touch. Complains that it needs to be on the charger to finish setup. I do that, battery still draining slowly and the watch is like responding 30 seconds after a button is pressed or screen is touched. WearOS on the watch finally finishes updating and very very slowly and painfully I work through the tutorial. Now I have to wait for 9 other preinstalled apps to update, rendering the thing unusable while that happens. Watch finally starting to gain ground on battery. Thing is still laggy and warm. Out of the blue I get a prompt on the new battery modes (some post setup process? ) The watch face keeps waking up, dimming, the complications are there, then blank. Clearly things are getting kicked out of memory. Finally I reboot the watch after the update finishes and it's unresponses for a good solid 5 minutes afterwards until it finally finishes up what its doing and is happy again. Whole process about 3 hours.
4)Then I start having issues with it reconnecting to the phone after out of range. So I reset again. Can't get it to reconnect. Try over and over. Finally I have to boot up into recover and nuke the cache partition and factory reset the device again. Finally I can connect. I go through step 3 above again only this time it copied my google account on the first try. Still took forever to get it running somewhat responsively again. Basically another 3 hour process.

I mean, goddamn. Setting up a WearOS device is PAINFUL and time consuming and it seems like every time I reset a WearOS watch that's over a year old, it starts flaking out in some odd way. I went through two Misfit Vapors as the battery would crap out under load, eventually preventing it from even finishing the boot process.

Maybe Samsung will bring better hardware if they come back to WearOS. I don't really have any real complaints about my Watch 3 or Active 2 other than Samsung not following through on health features and then locking behind galaxy phones.

I realize that my first part seems be counteracted by my second part. I just want to be clear that the functionality that WearOS provides is fine, pretty much what I need. It's just the setup and fiddly bits that are bad.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Thanks folks, I appreciate the help. It sounds like wearos just isn't what I'm looking for. I'm just going to hold off on a wrist device and maybe figure out how to mount my phone to the handlebars instead.

But, maybe the Samsung will be good!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

pointlessone posted:

Thanks folks, I appreciate the help. It sounds like wearos just isn't what I'm looking for. I'm just going to hold off on a wrist device and maybe figure out how to mount my phone to the handlebars instead.

But, maybe the Samsung will be good!

Fwiw I used a Fossil Sport for bike nav and it was fine

It puts turn directions with distance on the face in large font, so you're not really looking at the map. It also vibrates when you're near the turn

I do have the complaints that the sport is kind of slow sometimes especially when opening apps but overall it worked for what I wanted - keep, maps, gpay, fitness tracking. Was the fitness tracking super accurate? No, but it works well enough

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 16, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The charge rings in my Fossil Gen 5 are bad enough I'm going to do an RMA. What do I have to do to get them to cover the shipping since it's their poo poo that's jacked?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Len posted:

The charge rings in my Fossil Gen 5 are bad enough I'm going to do an RMA. What do I have to do to get them to cover the shipping since it's their poo poo that's jacked?

Ask them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Every time i've gone through their online tool it tells me to ship my watch to them on my dime for a fix. but that was sometime mid last year i fought with it, maybe that's changed