Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Xun posted:

I've been struggling with this stupid quartz for ages. Spent 30 minutes trying to polish one facet only for it to scratch at the very end. gently caress this I'm buying a new 1200 lap for quartzes

I don't cut quartz for this reason, tried it once and was like "nope, never again!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Xun posted:

It's a random piece of synthetic "sky blue" quartz I got that actually looks just white in person. My 1200 lap scratches the poo poo out of it and tbh its pretty scratchy on harder stones too. Sometimes the facets barely look better than my 600 lap, I thought it just wasn't broken in but I've used it on multiple stones at this point and it still sucks
Ever hear of 'shitrine'? It's a particular batch if synthetic citrine that went around the market for a bit which was famous for being almost impossible to polish. You could identify it because heating it turned it blue (due to cobalt doping for...some reason?)
Point is some quartz, and especially some synthetic quartz, is just that way inherently.
Your time is really too valuable to fight with uncooperative material anyway. Or with synthetic quartz in general. If you want to do some quartz richly colored natural amethyst is still inexpensive but the end result with precision cutting has a great multiplier on value. Or if you want something weirder, some nice lavender quartz with that opalescent translucency also rarely fails to hit.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Ever hear of 'shitrine'? It's a particular batch if synthetic citrine that went around the market for a bit which was famous for being almost impossible to polish. You could identify it because heating it turned it blue (due to cobalt doping for...some reason?)
Point is some quartz, and especially some synthetic quartz, is just that way inherently.
Your time is really too valuable to fight with uncooperative material anyway. Or with synthetic quartz in general. If you want to do some quartz richly colored natural amethyst is still inexpensive but the end result with precision cutting has a great multiplier on value. Or if you want something weirder, some nice lavender quartz with that opalescent translucency also rarely fails to hit.

Yeah, but this particular 1200 does that on like CZ and corundums too :v: I'd actually love to get my hands on some rose de France amethyst or a pretty rose quartz, but since I've moved to europe I haven't really looked at what online rough vendors are around. Was hoping to hit up a gemshow or two at least but yay covid

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
What's a reasonable price for a 16" 3mm domed omega sterling silver necklace? The one I got back in the 90s finally broke, and I need a replacement.

I see prices from $30-$90 on Amazon. I would prefer to shop at an actual jewelry store, but the good local one just closed so I'll need to drive a while or order online. I would also prefer not to buy from Amazon but I'm not sure where to look online either.

Any ideas?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

effika posted:

What's a reasonable price for a 16" 3mm domed omega sterling silver necklace? The one I got back in the 90s finally broke, and I need a replacement.

I see prices from $30-$90 on Amazon. I would prefer to shop at an actual jewelry store, but the good local one just closed so I'll need to drive a while or order online. I would also prefer not to buy from Amazon but I'm not sure where to look online either.

Any ideas?

Have a picture?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Have a picture?

It's not in great shape and I think multiple links are near failure, but here!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Sun was shining so I took a photo of the rutilated quartz and gold pendant I got for my wife from a local jeweller a couple of years ago. It's about an inch and a half long but I need to get the mounts adjusted as it tends to hang to the side when worn.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Rutilated quartz is amazing stuff.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Lovely picture!

And +1 to rutilated quartz being beautiful stuff.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

effika posted:

It's not in great shape and I think multiple links are near failure, but here!

Sorry I totally spaced on this! I'd say amazon is an okay bet. If you can get to a local place that's great, but they'll be ordering it in from somewhere else.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I wound up with the $27 Amazon option just to see, and it's probably OK? At least for now, for what I use it for. I do wish I knew what was actually going on with the huge price spread, though!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Got a new 1200 lap and I'm about to start polishing attempt #3 on this lovely loving quartz. I don't think I could give it a better starting point so if this doesn't work I'm gona give up lol

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

effika posted:

I wound up with the $27 Amazon option just to see, and it's probably OK? At least for now, for what I use it for. I do wish I knew what was actually going on with the huge price spread, though!

My guess is just different companies having different profit margins, you'll probably be fine!

Xun posted:

Got a new 1200 lap and I'm about to start polishing attempt #3 on this lovely loving quartz. I don't think I could give it a better starting point so if this doesn't work I'm gona give up lol

Quartz can die in a fire! What kind of lap? :D

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Quartz can die in a fire! What kind of lap? :D

I got a 1200 lightning lap topper, it's definitely leaving a much smoother finish than my metal 1200 so fingers crossed lol

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Remember that lovely quartz? I finally loving finished it!! :toot:

I think my 1200 topper was going, replaced it and all those scratches went away

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Oh yeah, 1200 toppers have a reputation for that. Looks like it came out great!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Xun posted:

It looks like a flower! So pretty :sparkles:

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Xun posted:

Beautifully done!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nice job

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

EMERALD TIME.

Let's look inside an emerald.

Original rough.

Now cut (not by me). Note the inclusion on the upper left. We'll visit that soon.

Now, INTO ITS GUTS.

And finally...after it was set, and now being much harder to photomicrograph.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seluin posted:

Now, INTO ITS GUTS.

looks like a heart

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Seluin posted:

EMERALD TIME.

Let's look inside an emerald.

Original rough.

Now cut (not by me). Note the inclusion on the upper left. We'll visit that soon.

Now, INTO ITS GUTS.

And finally...after it was set, and now being much harder to photomicrograph.

Pretty

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sorry to necro the thread, but someone suggested in Stupid/Small Question that I might try here. Crosspostin' myself:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Hoping one of you folks could tell me what this carved pig is made out of?

He's about 6 in/15cm and weighs in at 3lb/1.2kg. Fairly polished, but not super-glossy.

I have no idea where or when it's from, though he's got a circle carved on his forehead like a bindi or a Buddha third eye kind of thing.

Appreciate any thoughts!

edit: for more pics

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Unfortunately it'a very hard to identify most stones from photos. It has a bit of a marble-like look though maybe?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Could be nephrite/jadeite, I've seen it that color before (search for white or pink jade or nephrite to see examples). Whatever it is, it has very very fine grain, which makes it harder to identify from a photo. Some variety of marble is definitely possible.

this is jade, for example:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 7, 2021

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Could be nephrite/jadeite, I've seen it that color before (search for white or pink jade or nephrite to see examples). Whatever it is, it has very very fine grain, which makes it harder to identify from a photo. Some variety of marble is definitely possible.

this is jade, for example:

Ah, see, that's what I was told by the friend who gave it to me, but then searching for more info on jadeite/nephrite kept giving me the classic dark green color.

I used to casually collect gems and minerals, but I needed a refresher on how luster is defined. After a crash internet course, I would definitely say Mr. Pig is greasy luster, which matches those minerals. My pics suck; Leperflesh's is more accurate to what a well-lit pic of this fella would look like, including the luster.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's also plenty of fake stuff masquerading as jade out there, but the weight you reported implies this probably isn't plastic or resin. If you feel like making sure, you can try a scratch test on maybe the underside of a pig foot or something, and you can check the exact density by discovering its volume (use a measuring cup and water, and check the water volume with and without the pig fully immersed). Should be in the range of 2.9-3.3, which covers both nephrite and jadeite.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

There's also plenty of fake stuff masquerading as jade out there, but the weight you reported implies this probably isn't plastic or resin. If you feel like making sure, you can try a scratch test on maybe the underside of a pig foot or something, and you can check the exact density by discovering its volume (use a measuring cup and water, and check the water volume with and without the pig fully immersed). Should be in the range of 2.9-3.3, which covers both nephrite and jadeite.

Does the pig have to pretend to pull her hair back before the water weighing?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, Mr. Pig is definitely stone, I already gave a little scratch test in his armpit for that.. Appreciate the heads up, though, and I might still do the water weigh if that'll tell me if it's jade/jadeite/nephrite? Were those ranges you gave specific to jade, or just "it's a rock and not Bakelite"?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jadeite has a density of 3.20-3.33 g/cc, while nephrite has a density of 2.98 - 3.33 g/cc, I combined them and rounded off to allow for a bit of slop in measurement. If you're in exactly that range, there's not much else it could be that would look like that. Marble is about 2.6 to 2.7.

e. for a scratch test, it should scratch (but not be scratched by) mild steel. Jadeite/nephrite hardness: 6-7 (on the Moh's scale), mild steel: 4-4.5. Take care not to go at it with hardened or heat-treated carbon steel etc., which can be considerably harder... 6.3 at the high end, which could scratch jade.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 8, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I would generally not recommend a hardness test on a finished piece. Inexperienced people often misread the results and there is a real chance of causing damage. Specific gravity is a lot better on both fronts though more involved to set up.
Wish you were nearby since I could just zap it with my raman spectrometer.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 8, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I only mentioned it since JD said she'd already given it a go. I agree it can be fraught.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Anyone know of a good place to find loose natural (not lab created) Alexandrite?

My wife and I went through a really traumatic childbirth with our daughter (she was a 1lb micro preemie and spent 4 months in the NICU, plus my wife’s c-section wound opened up and became horribly infected resulting in her having to walk around with a wound vacuum for six weeks). With her first birthday coming up I was thinking about buying a loose Alexandrite stone (baby’s birthstone) and have it set in a necklace as a (very late) push present for my wife.

I know natural Alexandrite is stupid expensive and am prepared to spend a couple grand.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 21, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't buy stone much but just randomly, you wouldn't happen to live near Tucson, Arizona would you? They have an enormous annual gem show where lots of people go to buy wholesale (my sister is going, she works for a jeweler who is bringing her to learn more about gem grading) and it's happening in a couple of weeks.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Nope, Houston here. I guess I’m looking for something like Blue Nile, but for weird gemstones?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Oof, wish I were going to tucson so I could help but it's just too risky atm. I did recently get one with a bunch of mixed stones but I suspect it may be a flux grown synthetic (the type that's less trivial to identify). I'll need to send it off to agta or whoever to confirm.
I do have some crystals which are much more affordable too.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I asked around and it sounds like you could try talking to this guy?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPGvvRjhfMS/?utm_medium=copy_link

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Bouillon Rube posted:

I know natural Alexandrite is stupid expensive and am prepared to spend a couple grand.

Sadly, a couple grand's only going to get you a stone with limited color change that's a quarter to a third of a carat (3-4mm) at best. If that doesn't bother you, you can try looking at multicolour or africa gems, both of which have larger than average alexandrite inventories. Multicolour's inventory is especially large, but the quality is all over the map, whereas Africa's inventory is smaller but more curated. Depending upon the size/quality you're looking for, you may be able to find something that fits your budget. Best of luck!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Yeah :( When people say that Alexandrites are expensive, they really mean it. The prices get wild for a good colour change in what would be considered standard jewellery sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Yeah :( When people say that Alexandrites are expensive, they really mean it. The prices get wild for a good colour change in what would be considered standard jewellery sizes.

Would you consider a lab stone? I have lab alexandrite and lab aquamarine in my wedding band and they're really lovely!