Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m all about Tramontina for nonstick, and a lot of folks here agree. Most durable nonstick pans I’ve owned, and pretty cheap too.

Tramontina Professional Fry Pans (12-inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQR0/

I got this one a couple months ago, I think based off of this threads rec. The cruisenart it replaced had a nice hard coat anodize on the outside which was nice, but I’ll never go back after using the Tramonita without the interior handle rivets. Cleaning this thing is a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

barkbell posted:

my mother and aunts all went in on the set of nonstick all clad for my sisters wedding registry. it actually pains me to see how much money they spent on nonstick

As much as a like my stainless all-clad pieces I wouldn't buy their non-stick stuff. Why spend a premium for something that won't last 3 years?

Although I think their non-stick stuff works with induction tops. I haven't looked into prices for that stuff so maybe it's more competitive there.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you pick through the wall of nonstick skillets at a tj maxx you can find lots that are induction ready. That’s where I got my current one - it’s a t-fal with a metal handle that also claims to be oven safe to something like 500F. It was ~$20 like all the others

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 9, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I really like the Misen one I've got.

but it fell off its hook last night (onto linoleum) and it's clearly out of round now.

I keep hoping they'll get their poo poo together, but alas

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:swoon:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

That ugly bastard up top gets all the work. I can tell.

E: oh that's colander.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

That ugly bastard up top gets all the work. I can tell.

E: oh that's colander.

Well all the other poo poo is brand new but I didn't really feel the need to replace a colander.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Nice pans. Take out your recycling!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

Nice pans. Take out your recycling!

Christ you're worse than my girlfriend!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Clark Nova posted:

If you pick through the wall of nonstick skillets at a tj maxx you can find lots that are induction ready. That’s where I got my current one - it’s a t-fal with a metal handle that also claims to be oven safe to something like 500F. It was ~$20 like all the others

i have bought almost all my kitchen poo poo at tjmaxx/winners for this reason

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m all about Tramontina for nonstick, and a lot of folks here agree. Most durable nonstick pans I’ve owned, and pretty cheap too.

Tramontina Professional Fry Pans (12-inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQR0/
Also on the Tramontina train. Used to just go to the local restaurant supply place and just pick the one with the handle I liked the best, but the Tramontina is the best cheap nonstick I've ever owned by a substantial margin.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yea, tramontina w/out inner rivets is the best

Tramontina Professional Fusion Fry Pan, 10-Inch, Satin Finish, Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VUYT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_C41SQ96D50QHR9F302FV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

1redflag posted:

Yea, tramontina w/out inner rivets is the best

Tramontina Professional Fusion Fry Pan, 10-Inch, Satin Finish, Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VUYT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_C41SQ96D50QHR9F302FV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

i'll have to get a couple of these once my current nonsticks wear out

my parents bought me a pair of swiss diamond nonstick pans and once they wore out they suggested i send them back for replacement under warranty but they're so expensive to ship i doubt its worth it. decent pans though

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Does anybody have an easy-to-read breakdown of the differences between the various Instant Pot models? I've been thinking about getting one but apparently there's like a dozen of them so I have no idea which extra features are worth the cost. Recommendations for one model or another also welcome, of course.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Wahad posted:

Does anybody have an easy-to-read breakdown of the differences between the various Instant Pot models? I've been thinking about getting one but apparently there's like a dozen of them so I have no idea which extra features are worth the cost. Recommendations for one model or another also welcome, of course.

Sorry, there was only ever one Instant Pot worth buying, but you can't get it anymore.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wahad posted:

i don't have a breakdown but unless you have some very specific cooking goals and no way to accomplish them with other appliances, i'm not sure any more expensive version of the instant pot than the default Duo or whatever's on sale right now is really that useful

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah the Ultra can be used as a sous vide and has a yogurt function and poo poo like that, but I never find myself using any of that. If you're just Instant Potting then get whatever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

eke out posted:

i don't have a breakdown but unless you have some very specific cooking goals and no way to accomplish them with other appliances, i'm not sure any more expensive version of the instant pot than the default Duo or whatever's on sale right now is really that useful

agree, imo the point of an instant pot is to buy an electric pressure cooker. i literally don't use anything on the device except for cooking at high pressure. very occasionally i might use the saute to melt butter or whatever before i engage pressure.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i've used yogurt function back when i was making it a bunch, but i think it's literally just 'sautee' followed by 'keep warm' for 12 hours and you can do the same thing that way

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Doom Rooster posted:

Sorry, there was only ever one Instant Pot worth buying, but you can't get it anymore.

All regular Instant Pots are Darth Vader Instant Pots tho

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Wahad posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/...ne-should-i-get

tldr: duo

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have the Breville one and it’s fussy and kind of annoying. Don’t buy it because you want a fancy instant pot. Just buy the instant pot.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I got the one with a separate air fryer lid, and I do use that a lot. I have also used the sous vide functionality on mine a couple of times and it worked fine.

this is that one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VT23JDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love buffalo wings, and they are basically dirt cheap if you buy them from a restaurant supply store in bulk and air fry them up in your instant pot in 20-30 minutes from frozen and they are actually pretty healthy so.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have one of the first instant pot models and it is still absolutely fine after at least 5 years of use. I can’t imagine using it for much more than pressure cooking, but the rice function can be a neat trick if you have a reliable type of rice and water ratio.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

All regular Instant Pots are Darth Vader Instant Pots tho

:hmmyes: a wheezing metal can full of cooked meat

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Clark Nova posted:

:hmmyes: a wheezing metal can full of cooked meat

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lawnie posted:

I have one of the first instant pot models and it is still absolutely fine after at least 5 years of use. I can’t imagine using it for much more than pressure cooking, but the rice function can be a neat trick if you have a reliable type of rice and water ratio.

tbh i just make rice with the pressure function. any white rice takes about 5 minutes at high pressure with a natural release.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

surprisingly i've had basically perfect luck with the instant pot rice button, which i had zero expectations for but produces really beautiful basmati (rinsed then 1:1)

haven't had nearly as good results with any other kind of rice though

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Instant Pot is the only way I make rice. Good results and you can throw in veggies and seasonings to make a pilaf.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

xtal posted:

Instant Pot is the only way I make rice. Good results and you can throw in veggies and seasonings to make a pilaf.

if you're doing it at pressure you can also put in a spacer and cook something like sausages at the same time.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I'm doing a kitchen remodel later this year. What are features or fixtures of your kitchens that you really enjoy, or would add if you did a remodel?

The most out there one I've heard from a friend that I'm considering is an under cabinet vacuum, so you can just sweep dust and crumbs up to the toekick instead of getting out the dustpan or vacuum.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm doing a kitchen remodel later this year. What are features or fixtures of your kitchens that you really enjoy, or would add if you did a remodel?

The most out there one I've heard from a friend that I'm considering is an under cabinet vacuum, so you can just sweep dust and crumbs up to the toekick instead of getting out the dustpan or vacuum.

my mil has one of those and has uniformly positive things to say about it fwiw. i would replace a lot of cabinets with shelving personally but that’s a controversial decision

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a galley kitchen and I get a lot of mileage out of the fact that we put our dishes and flatware directly across from where the dishwasher opens up. I can unload a typical wash load without moving any steps.

We also have a lot of open shelving instead of cabinets and I like that for visibility and general usage.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Cabinets to the ceiling. Absolutely no two ways about it. Anything else is wasted storage space and a home for filth. Obviously they aren't super accessible, but they're perfect for storing stuff you only use for holidays or occasionally.

I kind of like those little appliance garages. Lets you have a visually clean counter without having to haul out the KitchenAid from some low cabinet every time.

Is a pantry a possibility?

Turbo vent hood obviously.

I'm not a fan of open storage, ymmv. It looks fine, but I'm not sold on the livability. If anything you can do a china cabinet deal with solid doors on the bottom and glass doors on top for #aesthetic things. Lot less cleaning.

The larger tiles you use for the backsplash, the less grout you have to scrub with a toothbrush.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 15, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

really good vent fan

i have one right now that ain't bad but i'm talking about "strong enough that you can't set off a smoke alarm short of an oil fire" ideally

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

eke out posted:

really good vent fan

i have one right now that ain't bad but i'm talking about "strong enough that you can't set off a smoke alarm short of an oil fire" ideally

This right here is job one. Everything else is a luxury compared to a smoke-free house.

I like Anne Whateley's aesthetic. I'm a cheap slut for kitchen gadgets and have ended up putting racks in my basement for the stuff I don't use every day. I'd love to have enough storage to keep it all in the kitchen. A lot of ours is less useful to me because it's broken up into small segments. I'm not sure how I'd do it, exactly, but some sort of large-format covered storage big enough to store my giant sous vide cambro and my 8qt pressure cooker would be wonderful. If you don't collect huge objects for occasional use, you will of course wish to discount my input.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Big vent hood
48” range
Enough counter space to butcher a pig
Big enough island for guests to get comfortable and also not be in my fuckin way

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A closet rod to hold pots and pans is nice

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Two dishwashers at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Fuckin a