Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ill wait for h.269

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

h.265 is good for file size. dont do webm

vp9 and h.265 are at the same level. hardware support for h.265 is a little more widespread

av1 is the next gen codec, but encoders are still somewhat slow and hardware support only recently started rolling out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress av1 it's stinking garbage i send that code to poo poo hell

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

At some point codecs are going to be good enough. Like how many K's and bits of color depth are we humans really going to be able to resolve visually? With storage and internet speeds increasing more than processing speed, at some point it'll be all you need.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cdn dude voice: as long as content sources are billed by the TB they will never, ever stop working to make codecs more efficient.

if it costs you 1 million dollars of devs per year to save you 2 million dollars of egress bill, you win

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
i for one welcome our HDR overlords

i mean, i'm not sure if i need 16 bits of colour but i definitely appreciate going above 8

same goes for 4K

if resolutions and colour depth stays the same it would still be fine if we'd get the file sizes down some more

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

spankmeister posted:

At some point codecs are going to be good enough. Like how many K's and bits of color depth are we humans really going to be able to resolve visually? With storage and internet speeds increasing more than processing speed, at some point it'll be all you need.

"b.b.b.but my animes need the clarity and depth only 48-bit colour can provide!"

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I'm going to write a Laser Squad clone, for the ~17th time, except this time I'm definitely going to finish it. Definitely.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

gonna be completely honest my plan to try making my own DOS entirely originated from watching season 1 of halt & catch fire

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I'm writing my own 6502 assembler and code formatter. At the point where it works and I am now focusing on a visual studio code plugin to do highlighting, go to definition and so on. Most of that is up and running as well but I'm enjoying myself trying to get the vice emulator hooked up so you can do debugging, set breakpoints, etc

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

spankmeister posted:

eventually GANs will be good enough that video files will just be half a kilobyte of text describing what is in the video and your computer will render it from scratch for you.

basically this but even more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVa1xRaHTA0

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I mean sure but OTOH every time I open YToobe I'm surprised by how ugly everything looks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah it's a race to the bottom to see what kind of crap quality people are willing to accept.

Netflix is terrible also.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

spankmeister posted:

Yeah it's a race to the bottom to see what kind of crap quality people are willing to accept.

Netflix is terrible also.
I dunno, a lot of people don't give a rat's rear end because, i dunno, we've had sex

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

i dunno, we've had sex

speak for yourself

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

hbag posted:

speak for yourself
Oh fuuuuuuuuuuck

Everyone gives you poo poo about being so young, but even when I was a teenager with a combo of AIDS and satanic panic's social reactionarianism and rampant homophobia, fuckin hats off to you for surviving this, the worst year

o7

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
not really a spare time project since it's a work thing but some colleagues and i just published a paper on the effects of climate change on an australian pokemon

https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/2041-210X.13591

it's been getting a bit of news and blog coverage, and last week i got to do a press conference for the japanese media with a translator and everything

of particular interest is figure 1, which my colleague drew

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i saw your post on facebook of that article trig and sent it to a few friends, pretty cool :)

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

ol qwerty bastard posted:

eventually GANs will be good enough that video files will just be half a kilobyte of text describing what is in the video and your computer will render it from scratch for you.

basically this but even more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVa1xRaHTA0

I remember Vernor Vinge predicted this in the 90s in A Fire Upon The Deep or maybe A Deepness In The Sky, for video calls between starships

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'd snap my fingers to hurry his prediction of an org like Friends Of Privacy flooding the online world and social networks with random stuff about everyone so that trying to Internet detective people basically gets you Grandpa Simpson pulling an endless stack of conflicting membership cards out of his wallet.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i had a ground loop issue between my computer and my audio rack that holds my big fancy interface

Did you know?

Now you do.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Hope your poo poo is grounded properly at both ends, ground lifts are a great way to kill stuff with common mode overvoltage.

I solved that problem by getting a used fiber optic USB extender http://www.icron.com/products/icron-brand/usb-extenders/fiber/usb-2-0-ranger-2324/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah those appear to be nine hundred dollars? this was free

And yeah the problem is that things _are_ grounded but there's enough cable run on the USB headers in my PC case that they pick up noise. I tried avionics spec braid between case and rack to no avail

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
sounds like those prices are not grounded in reality

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

got a new terminal you know I had to do it to em

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1382524460314599426?s=20

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

NICE!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i wanna get my hands on something like that but i am unfortunately broke as gently caress and the very cheapest ive seen something like that go for is around £200

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

yeah it was p expensive but if you're a big nerd like me who loves greenscreen terminals, this one's got TWO 19200bps serial ports (and VMS lets you multiplex two terminals onto one port holy poo poo!), a full 12-bit palette with 16 simultaneous colors, regis vector graphics, enough ram to hold a bitmap screen of sixels, and tektronix 4010 emulation!

regis graphics is sending vector graphics commands to the terminal as a string of ASCII characters so you can whip up charts and graphs easily (or, i'm thinking, basic wireframe animation...)

sixel graphics is similar but encoding 6x1 bitmaps in a 7-bit datastream instead of vector commands, so you can put COLOR BITMAPS onto a terminal very slowly

and the tektronix 4010 was an old storage tube display that was popular for CAD

i mean i have a VAX, i can't not have a fancy DEC terminal to go with it

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 15, 2021

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I remember managing a heap of those old terminals back at my second job, sadly they had got so old the monitors kept dying in the most noisiest and smelliest ways

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

You Am I posted:

I remember managing a heap of those old terminals back at my second job, sadly they had got so old the monitors kept dying in the most noisiest and smelliest ways

how long did it take for a monitor to die? i had to maintain sco software that still ran on vt100s and the terminals were easily 10+ years old (this was back in the 90s)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DaTroof posted:

how long did it take for a monitor to die? i had to maintain sco software that still ran on vt100s and the terminals were easily 10+ years old (this was back in the 90s)

my vt340 is from '89 and the vt420 i have is from '91, you can repair or replace everything in them but the CRT itself (unless you happen to have a supply of those somewhere)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I learned enough JavaScript and WebGL to make a hideous spinning cube for my website

http://hideousrobots.com

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 17, 2021

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

instead of texture mapping make it wireframe with a flame effect for powerful 90s pascal energy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
a rotating skull on a rotating cube. 90sception

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
i'm waiting for the text to start sine wobbling up and down

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

instead of texture mapping make it wireframe with a flame effect for powerful 90s pascal energy

but then where am I gonna put the official company logo? :xd:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im making uhhh fuckinnn YOSBBS with jonny 290
it's pretty fuckin cool so far

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
A while back I thought it would be fun to make some tutorials / intro stuff about doing sound programs, so I made a couple of videos, with lil web pages to go along with them. I figured I would do 5 and then get people to look at them but honestly I got kinda disheartened after the first 2.

I figure it's time I showed these to some people who I don't know and see if I was even going in the right direction. The idea was each video would cover some basic element of writing these kinds of programs, and they would be accompanied by a static web-page with some .js files that have really simple reference programs. The idea isn't really to make a library that people can use, but just to have some code you can look at and say "oh that's what they are doing." stuff to like copy and paste, and then re-write and add your own flavor. Then maybe to also include other lil pages to show other things you can do.

here is the first one, it's 10 minutes long and just talks about how the tutorials will work, and the basic idea of a callback based sound program:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQcNrJ9WuQ

here is the second-one, covering oscillators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN48Up80RgA&t=505s

They are kinda bad, production wise, cause I really don't know what I'm doing. Also I recorded them during high allergy times and I sound really bad and keep sniffling. If any of yall watch these and have any suggestions, or reviews or anything I'd be glad for the input.

the other videos on that channel are just random hobby projects I was documenting.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
First example page doesn't work, at least not on Safari

edit: Safari's Javascript console says it can't find AudioContext

changing the code that creates the AudioContext to
JavaScript code:
window.AudioContext = window.AudioContext || window.webkitAudioContext;
const ac = new AudioContext();
works

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 17, 2021

Adbot