Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tricky Ed posted:

Two dishwashers at the same time.

I've never had so many dishes at one time that I needed more capacity but just for fun I daydream about installing a 240 outlet and sneaking in a restaurant dishwasher

Or finding a machine from before energy savings regulations that had Party Mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Nah the point of two dishwashers is that you never unload them: You take clean stuff out of one as you use it and put dirty stuff straight into the other. You can get magnet labels with 'clean' and 'dirty' on 'em and you swap them over when you start a cycle so you know what is going where.

Mrs. Barfish's work break area has this. If I had stupid money I'd do it too because I *hate* unloading dishwashers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

StarkingBarfish posted:

Nah the point of two dishwashers is that you never unload them: You take clean stuff out of one as you use it and put dirty stuff straight into the other.

That’s so lazy it’s making me cry with jealousy

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Some cultures just use the dishwasher to store clean dishes and wash everything by hand, so globally it all offsets itself.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

VelociBacon posted:

Some cultures just use the dishwasher to store clean dishes and wash everything by hand, so globally it all offsets itself.

When I was a kid we did this (I grew up in a cult and there was some pseudo mystical bullshit about dishwashers, microwaves also)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I like Anne Whateley's aesthetic.

Who is she and what is her aesthetic? Google says it’s William Shakespear’s wife / mistress

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

Two dishwashers at the same time.

I suggested this but my current dishwasher isn't okay with it :(

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

A closet rod to hold pots and pans is nice

Why did I never think of this.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Probably because a regular pot rack is handier and doesn't require a closet/alcove. A regular pot rack is great though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Probably because a regular pot rack is handier and doesn't require a closet/alcove. A regular pot rack is great though.

But I have a closet near the kitchen with a broken door!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Then it's perfect!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Man, I'd love to have a kitchen with dedicated pot / pan rods above the stove, probably easiest to integrate that into the range hood so long as it's not a cabinet-mount one

Seriously, who uses the cabinets over the range hood?

Also, something to make it easier to get at things on the bottom shelf of floor cabinets. Like a slider thing so you can just slide out the stockpots instead of having to get down and rummage for them at the back of the cabinet.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Canuck-Errant posted:

I use it to hide things from my 5'2" SO

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I would love to have a blind corner pullout cabinet, and a corner lazy Susan that glides correctly would be nice. I put a pot rack in using 1 inch conduit and spray paint. It looks great and saves a ton of cabinet space. My kitchen only has 3 drawers, two of which are only 4 or 5 inches wide, so I’m hanging a lot of utensils from the rack as well.

If I had more money than god I’d find a local artisan carpenter to do custom cabinet inserts. My uncle did all this for himself a long time ago and all of his cabinets have sliding drawers and vertical racks that are a dream to use.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

We did sliding drawers/racks in all the low cabinets. The sliding is nice but you lose a lot of height from the sliding drawers inside.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xtal posted:

I'm 17" taller than my partner, they have a dedicated kitchen step stool thing so I can't hide anything anywhere.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm doing a kitchen remodel later this year. What are features or fixtures of your kitchens that you really enjoy, or would add if you did a remodel?

The most out there one I've heard from a friend that I'm considering is an under cabinet vacuum, so you can just sweep dust and crumbs up to the toekick instead of getting out the dustpan or vacuum.

Huge rear end vent hood. Love my new one, gently caress a recirc.

Pull out drawers with baskets in your big floor cabinets. gently caress reaching in.

If you have a corner cabinet, get those swing out shelves.

I don't have a hidden garbage can, and I'm about over it. Do it if you can.

Undermount sink, as big and deep as you can.

I agree with the one who said cabinets to the ceiling. I have 3 foot of open wall above mine and it's pointless. I would love to put some transluscent window doored cabinets above them with LED puck lights in them.

One huge, huge plus- LEDs EVERYWHERE. Strips under your wall cabinets are great for your counterspace. Strips inside your floor cabinets with a contact switch are awesome. If you get those LGB REDs, you can even do seasonal colors when you want to.

As far as excess accessories I can't defend the price of but really love, I put in a hot/cold water dispenser with our new counter and I frigging love it. Filtered cold water on demand, make hot tea or coffee instantly, cut cooking time by starting off with near-boiling water.

Make sure you get the big sink mentioned above if you do, otherwise that many faucets may lead to a cluttered look.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

As far as excess accessories I can't defend the price of but really love, I put in a hot/cold water dispenser with our new counter and I frigging love it. Filtered cold water on demand, make hot tea or coffee instantly, cut cooking time by starting off with near-boiling water.

Oh man, a hot water dispenser is an excellent idea. Filtered cold water dispenser I'd say less essential but still good - I guess I just drink more room temp than cold water v :v: v

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Who is she and what is her aesthetic? Google says it’s William Shakespear’s wife / mistress

I was referring to this post:

Anne Whateley posted:

Cabinets to the ceiling. Absolutely no two ways about it. Anything else is wasted storage space and a home for filth. Obviously they aren't super accessible, but they're perfect for storing stuff you only use for holidays or occasionally.

I kind of like those little appliance garages. Lets you have a visually clean counter without having to haul out the KitchenAid from some low cabinet every time.

Is a pantry a possibility?

Turbo vent hood obviously.

I'm not a fan of open storage, ymmv. It looks fine, but I'm not sold on the livability. If anything you can do a china cabinet deal with solid doors on the bottom and glass doors on top for #aesthetic things. Lot less cleaning.

The larger tiles you use for the backsplash, the less grout you have to scrub with a toothbrush.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GD_American posted:

Do a remote mount blower for the hood as well. Our fan for the vent hood is on the roof so you can’t hear the motor. At full power (which required a make up air damper to make sure we didn’t create too much negative pressure in the house) it’s still reasonably quiet.

So the hood is just a metal box in the kitchen with controls and the little grease filter traps, and the motors/fan etc are outside the house.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ultra Carp

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ultra Carp
To the people suggesting a pantry: We have a vertical cabinet with shelving, we're gonna replace it with a vertical pull out pantry on sliders. We use the shelves all the time but stuff way at the back gets forgotten about.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I have a galley kitchen and I get a lot of mileage out of the fact that we put our dishes and flatware directly across from where the dishwasher opens up. I can unload a typical wash load without moving any steps.

We also have a lot of open shelving instead of cabinets and I like that for visibility and general usage.

Open shelving is great, but our cats would get all over the stuff. They are bad enough leaping into the closed cabinets when the doors are open! Also, over time grease tends to land on stuff.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Also, something to make it easier to get at things on the bottom shelf of floor cabinets. Like a slider thing so you can just slide out the stockpots instead of having to get down and rummage for them at the back of the cabinet.

:hellyeah:

GD_American posted:

Pull out drawers with baskets in your big floor cabinets. gently caress reaching in.

If you have a corner cabinet, get those swing out shelves.

Undermount sink, as big and deep as you can.

I agree with the one who said cabinets to the ceiling. I have 3 foot of open wall above mine and it's pointless. I would love to put some transluscent window doored cabinets above them with LED puck lights in them.

One huge, huge plus- LEDs EVERYWHERE. Strips under your wall cabinets are great for your counterspace. Strips inside your floor cabinets with a contact switch are awesome. If you get those LGB REDs, you can even do seasonal colors when you want to.

Make sure you get the big sink mentioned above if you do, otherwise that many faucets may lead to a cluttered look.

eke out posted:

really good vent fan

i have one right now that ain't bad but i'm talking about "strong enough that you can't set off a smoke alarm short of an oil fire" ideally

Pretty much all these are planned. I already had a big-rear end vent hood installed last year. It is profoundly different when frying and searing. I was most proud of cutting the uh, shroud? The rectangle metal thing that conceals the vent pipe to match the angled yet slightly uneven due to being made of wood ceiling.

quote:

We've got a slide out under sink garbage can right now. The recycling can just sits out. We're probably going to do a slide out cabinet that holds both a garbage can and a recycling can.

Speaking of garbage, compost question:
Compost
Does anyone have a good solution for compost? We have one of those little metal compost bins

And I really don't like it. It's gross to have it on the counters even when it's closed. The lid jams up because it got dropped at some point. I do see the advantage of it being really small, which is that you'll never get lazy and have a whole trash can of compost rotting in your kitchen. But I don't like having to interact with it, e.g. jamming an egg carton in it, having it near the food prep area etc.

Oh yeah, our laundry room is right below the kitchen. We might make a chute to throw rags down.

LED's under the cabinets + an outlet strip under cabinets is going in.

quote:

Strips inside your floor cabinets with a contact switch are awesome.

:psyboom: blowing my mind here

I've heard the hot/cold water dispensers are cheaply made and break down, but it still seems worth it. I am able to fix and replace that stuff myself so it's not like I'll have to call a plumber every time.

We have a divided overmount sink right now and HATE IT. We're planning on doing stainless steel with a giant welded in undivided sink.

Sink chat:

I'm considering a commercial style restaurant sink faucet:

Not this big, maybe, but that was the first one that popped up on webstaurant store. Has anyone done this? Liked it, hated it, not really worth it?

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 15, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ultra Carp

VelociBacon posted:

I'm 17" taller than my partner, they have a dedicated kitchen step stool thing so I can't hide anything anywhere.

I got one for my wife but right now I have it in the basement for construction so she's stuck asking me to get stuff down again :yeshaha:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
My countertop oven just took a poo poo, so I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade to the Anova Precision Oven. Anyone got any recommendations for cool combi oven stuff I can try when it comes in? Besides bread, I already know it's great for bread and stuff.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have the OXO compost bin and like it quite well for what it is. It’s not too big and the lid detaches easily so the whole thing is easy to fit in the dishwasher. I usually flip the lid open for prep time and empty the container when I’m done for the evening, but the lid keeps smells inside really well as far as I can tell when it’s not overflowing.

SimplyHuman released a bin that I’ve had advertised to me a bunch on social media. It looks like it’s magnetic so it can hang on the side of a trash can or be picked up and set on the countertop as needed.

If I had infinite counter space I would probably have holes for compost, trash, and recycling right in the butcher block so I can scrape waste away easily.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I just throw my scraps into a compostable bag and store it in the freezer. Then chuck into the compost bin at the end of the week.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That sounds super gross and I have less than zero extra freezer space to devote to literal garbage.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm doing a kitchen remodel later this year. What are features or fixtures of your kitchens that you really enjoy, or would add if you did a remodel?

The most out there one I've heard from a friend that I'm considering is an under cabinet vacuum, so you can just sweep dust and crumbs up to the toekick instead of getting out the dustpan or vacuum.

A glass rinsing spout by the sink. Just turn the glass upside down and push down and boom, rinsed glass.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ive had a commercial style faucet with the segmented metal hose with the coil spring wrapped around it. it was the absolute best to just grab it and move it around wherever and pairs well with a huge sink.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Chemmy posted:

Do a remote mount blower for the hood as well. Our fan for the vent hood is on the roof so you can’t hear the motor. At full power (which required a make up air damper to make sure we didn’t create too much negative pressure in the house) it’s still reasonably quiet.

So the hood is just a metal box in the kitchen with controls and the little grease filter traps, and the motors/fan etc are outside the house.

This is the next project I have planned for my house but I haven’t really looked into it much yet and wasn’t sure how available it was residentially. Do you have any advice as far as brands or things that you would have done differently? Did you do the install yourself or contract it out?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I used a wine bucket for compost, but the handles broke off.

I've since switched to a KitchenAid mixer bowl that I found on the street (still no idea what the gently caress)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

That sounds super gross and I have less than zero extra freezer space to devote to literal garbage.

:shrug: I found keeping scraps frozen vs. rotting in a bin on the counter more palatable. I never found a compost bin I could keep on the counter that didn't feel gross. But the bulk of my scraps are the leftover produce bits from peeling and chopping. As for freezer space, I made the trade off of giving up some freezer space as making daily runs to the outdoor compost bin was more annoying to me.

For those those wanting more isolation, you could always use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Full-Circle-Collector-Freezer-Compost/

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

tonedef131 posted:

This is the next project I have planned for my house but I haven’t really looked into it much yet and wasn’t sure how available it was residentially. Do you have any advice as far as brands or things that you would have done differently? Did you do the install yourself or contract it out?

Ours is perfect. I had a contractor do it. We went with Wolf to match the appliances.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

xtal posted:

I use it to hide things from myself, because I have a bad memory

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vim Fuego posted:

:psyboom: blowing my mind here

I've heard the hot/cold water dispensers are cheaply made and break down, but it still seems worth it. I am able to fix and replace that stuff myself so it's not like I'll have to call a plumber every time.

I was a little disappointed at something that cost that much using a combination of compression fittings, stab fittings, an unsecured tube over a barbed nipple ( :psyduck: ) and one actual camlock fitting. One other warning- the Insinkerator one uses everyyyyyy bit of its inch and a half hole. Plan your run out before you install.

As for the contact switch, this simple:

https://youtu.be/F_sv3XY5bY0

Except dont even bother running house current. Tuck one of these in back and run the wire to it.

https://www.amazon.com/CO-RODE-Batt...870493113&psc=1

They’re LEDs. They don’t draw poo poo. You’ll have that door open like a minute at a time. AAs are just fine and save a ton of hassle.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

I keep my cook books there. Don’t use them very much since most recipes are internet accessible but they are handy enough for the odd look.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I've looked into the kitchenaid stand mixer thing a few times and it's just a giant mess, with the multiple model ranges, the metal vs nylon gears, and the cheaper motor vs the more powerful one.

can someone just tell me what model I want? is there a current-production model with the more powerful motor and the metal gears, or a historical model that I should look for on ebay/craigslist/whatever? I think the risk of hard jamming it and burning out the motor is less than the danger of the nylon stripping, so I'm fine with that. Or is that not really worth the price premium? are the costco bundles sufficiently cheap here that it's just worth getting that and not worrying about it?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've looked into the kitchenaid stand mixer thing a few times and it's just a giant mess, with the multiple model ranges, the metal vs nylon gears, and the cheaper motor vs the more powerful one.

can someone just tell me what model I want? is there a current-production model with the more powerful motor and the metal gears, or a historical model that I should look for on ebay/craigslist/whatever? I think the risk of hard jamming it and burning out the motor is less than the danger of the nylon stripping, so I'm fine with that. Or is that not really worth the price premium? are the costco bundles sufficiently cheap here that it's just worth getting that and not worrying about it?

what will you be making with it and in what sorts of quantities?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Hope this is the right place for this. The wife had a slow cooker that she liked, but she doesn't remember what it was. The one we use now is pretty terrible (smaller, has rubber that holds it closed, always smells like mexican food.)

Is there a goon-census on a good slow cooker? Not too worried about price. Would like one that's enough to feed a family of 6+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Hope this is the right place for this. The wife had a slow cooker that she liked, but she doesn't remember what it was. The one we use now is pretty terrible (smaller, has rubber that holds it closed, always smells like mexican food.)

Is there a goon-census on a good slow cooker? Not too worried about price. Would like one that's enough to feed a family of 6+.

Whatever is on sale at Costco/similar is probably your best bet! I've personally never really noticed a difference between them but I suppose it would come down to being able to program specific temps and times.