Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I am so glad I don't like wheat, my rye preference has saved me so much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Glendronach are chill filtering their stuff now. Wonder why and also how this will impact the taste :/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

Glendronach are chill filtering their stuff now. Wonder why and also how this will impact the taste :/

That sucks! Where'd you read that?

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 5, 2021

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
There's a couple posts on reddit about Glendronach dropping the non-chill filtered label. I just picked up a bottle of 12 and it still has it, so if it's the kind of thing to bother you, might be time to stock up while old bottles are still on the shelf.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

spankmeister posted:

That sucks! Where'd you read that?

Just a scotch group I’m in. Someone noticed the bottle and asked them and just got this is return.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Bape Culture posted:

Just a scotch group I’m in. Someone noticed the bottle and asked them and just got this is return.

what a wonderful non-chill-answer

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Got my first vax shot a couple weeks ago and on the way home stopped off at a liquor store I don't usually find myself near. Snagged (well, overpaid for) a bottle of Elijah Toasted Barrel. I've been digging EC stuff lately -- a bottle of single barrel I picked up last fall and one of my local shop's store picks that they're selling for a very reasonable $30 -- and the Toasted Barrel is also really good (though more expensive and not as good as the B520 SB imo). I also picked up a bottle of their store pick Knob single barrel rye but haven't gotten around to opening and trying it yet.

This past weekend we went out for our first date night in quite a while and ended up at a bar we rarely go to, even in the beforetimes. They had a couple interesting things. I tried a pour of Weller Full Proof (the blue label); I'm kinda spoiled because I have a couple nearby shops that usually have Special Reserve in stock for MSRP and I keep a bottle or two around but it's been a while since I've seen any other Wellers (well, there was one CYPB bottle I ran across last fall but I wasn't willing to pay the stupidly high markup). The Full Proof was really good and 114 is about my ideal proof these days but I think I might prefer Antique. My wife said the Full Proof drank much hotter than (higher proof) OF1920 and I don't disagree. I also tried a pour of the 2019 George T. Stagg that I really, really liked. I'd only had Stagg Jr and while it's great, it's so high proof that it can be challenging. The GTS at ~117 was much more accessible and probably my favorite whiskey that I've tried in the last few months.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I am so glad I don't like wheat, my rye preference has saved me so much money.

Honestly rye may be the single most expensive category these days. It's almost impossible to find decently aged rye at a reasonable price point, particularly if you aren't looking for Canadian stuff.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

"A few well-heeled customers complained about seeing flecks of matter in our top-shelf offerings so we quietly started chill filtering everything but we aren't going to come out and say as much, and you can still pretend it's NCF if it makes you feel better."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vox Nihili posted:

Honestly rye may be the single most expensive category these days. It's almost impossible to find decently aged rye at a reasonable price point, particularly if you aren't looking for Canadian stuff.

I meant high rye mashbill bourbon.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Bape Culture posted:

I'm glad I've got a nice stock of the old stuff. As well as moving away from NCF the prices have shot up too since Brown Forman took over. There used to be some absolute bargains in the single cask range. Now, not so much.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Found some Wild Turkey 101 Rye at Total Wine for $21.50 per 750 ml bottle and instantly bought 3. Previously I've only ever seen the stupid 1 L bottles, always marked at $40, often sold out.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Found some Wild Turkey 101 Rye at Total Wine for $21.50 per 750 ml bottle and instantly bought 3. Previously I've only ever seen the stupid 1 L bottles, always marked at $40, often sold out.

When I moved I lost any stores nearby that carried that. It's not the best rye but drat solid for the price.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

I was looking at the Diageo collection of Distiller's Editions (Oban, Lagavulin, Dalwhinnnie, Glekinchie), and while some of them look interesting none of them have age statements.

Except for the Dalwhinnie Distiller's Edition, which lists it in a roundabout way by saying "Distilled in 2005. Bottled in 2020". Is there something to watch out for here?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Iirc all of them have an age statement like that. My Talisker does.

It's on the label though, not on the box.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I've got some older ones where it has the years on the box.

i.e. the Talisker DE I just grabbed is Distilled 1993, Bottled 2007 on the box and label. Pretty sure i have a Lagavulin DE of a similar vintage which is the same.

EDIT: The Talisker DE still had the price tag on it, £37.35 :thunk:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

I've got some older ones where it has the years on the box.

i.e. the Talisker DE I just grabbed is Distilled 1993, Bottled 2007 on the box and label. Pretty sure i have a Lagavulin DE of a similar vintage which is the same.

EDIT: The Talisker DE still had the price tag on it, £37.35 :thunk:

Oh yea I remember that one, I finished one of those earlier this year. Fake edit: no wait it was a Lagavulin DE 1994.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Currently enjoying a GlenDronach 8yo btw. It's very nice for its age, and I appreciate when distilleries put a young age statement on instead of NAS and some marketing wank name.

On the subject of GlenDronach, they have removed the "No Chill Filtration" statement from their bottles. So keep an eye out and get some of the old stock while the getting is still good.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Moving house in a couple of months and am having to provide an inventory of the bulk of my collection for the purposes of storage & insurance. Think it's gonna be up near 400 bottles so looks like I have some sort of a (nice) problem.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

biglads posted:

Moving house in a couple of months and am having to provide an inventory of the bulk of my collection for the purposes of storage & insurance. Think it's gonna be up near 400 bottles so looks like I have some sort of a (nice) problem.

:eyepop: And I was getting sideye looks from my girlfriend for having uh, 11 or 12 bottles right now

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

:eyepop: And I was getting sideye looks from my girlfriend for having uh, 11 or 12 bottles right now

My wife is worse than me now, a lot of the more valuable stuff I had (e.g. Macallan, Karuizawa) I sold 3 or 4 years ago whereas she's managed to keep a hold of a lot of stuff. So when I say I have 400 bottles, it's more like WE have 400 bottles, and of those 400, about 15 would make up half of the value. I think there's about 25 bottles open as well. Gonna have to get through them so we don't have to move them too.

Finding a few that I'd forgotten about. An IB Brackla cask strength that neither of us could remember a thing about, there's also more Glenlivet, Dailuaine & Bruichladdich than I thought.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

biglads posted:

My wife is worse than me now, a lot of the more valuable stuff I had (e.g. Macallan, Karuizawa) I sold 3 or 4 years ago whereas she's managed to keep a hold of a lot of stuff. So when I say I have 400 bottles, it's more like WE have 400 bottles, and of those 400, about 15 would make up half of the value. I think there's about 25 bottles open as well. Gonna have to get through them so we don't have to move them too.

Finding a few that I'd forgotten about. An IB Brackla cask strength that neither of us could remember a thing about, there's also more Glenlivet, Dailuaine & Bruichladdich than I thought.

Holy poo poo!

Casu Marzu posted:

:sever:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Double that number and you could literally have a ton of bottled whiskey!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:lol: It's less the actual amount of bourbon and more the fact that a new bottle has shown up every week for the past like month and a half :shepspends: There's been so many nice bottles showing up on shelves lately.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

:lol: It's less the actual amount of bourbon and more the fact that a new bottle has shown up every week for the past like month and a half :shepspends: There's been so many nice bottles showing up on shelves lately.

Nice bottles show up all the time, sometimes you just have to stop buying everything that catches your eye, prioritize, and drink what you have. I say this as someone with 120ish bottles, who's picking up a private SAOS bottle release and probably whatever else my good store throws at me this weekend.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Follow up, that store got the full trip of Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Blanton's picks in and I'm not passing those up at a good price

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Almost went for an ECBP today but at 100 euro it's a little rich for my blood

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Follow up, that store got the full trip of Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Blanton's picks in and I'm not passing those up at a good price

Let us know your Venmo so you can pick us all up a case of blantons.

...totally joking. Those eagle rare picks are gone within hours here when any store gets them in.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Let us know your Venmo so you can pick us all up a case of blantons.

...totally joking. Those eagle rare picks are gone within hours here when any store gets them in.

Yeah of course all three were limit one per person, and the Blanton's wasn't even on the shelf

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I've found one store that has Eagle Rare somewhat reliably but they keep raising the price. $30 - $35 - then $40! I went today and saw they had a bunch but the sign said $50!! I mean I really like Eagle Rare but $50 is competing with alot of other quality products.

I grabbed one anyway (And a buffalo trace for $33). Cashier rang it up at $40. Ran back and grabbed 2 more bottles. I'm guessing I won't have that same luck next time :(

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Is anyone here familiar with Wild Turkey?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Control Volume posted:

WT101 is in the very first post of this very thread.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I have had Wild Turkey

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I, too, have had Wild Turkey

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Yes. If you're gonna troll make a better effort.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I have also had Wild Turkey and shall never have Wild Turkey again.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Legend has it that an Austin Nichols corporation executive dipped into a barrel from a batch of bourbon that they were distributing from the Old Ripy distillery to bring along with him on a turkey hunt. The other people on the hunt loved it so much that the next time he was invited they told him "make sure you bring some of that wild turkey bourbon" and the Wild Turkey brand was born

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Control Volume posted:

Go on...

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Is Wild Turkey a knockoff of Famous Grouse or something? What kind of name is Wild Turkey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

Is Wild Turkey a knockoff of Famous Grouse or something? What kind of name is Wild Turkey?

That’s Inglorious Pheasant actually

Wild Turkey is a rebrand for foreign markets