Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It seems to certainly get into actual plot after almost 30 episodes. Too bad Genm is two months behind for me to watch it for real, while keeping up with /m/ threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
>when you don't really care about owning the ToQ Buckle but you want a Shield Express for your fleet

<this, too, is all Decade's fault>

Blaze Dragon posted:

Z's appearance is definitely when ToQger gets really good, and the villains go from "okay" to "by far the best part of the show". He's such a great character and adds super interesting character interactions to the villain side that weren't there before, and it just feels like the writers put significantly more effort into the important villains from there on too.

Even in the few episodes since he showed up (having not watched any more since my last post) there's been some of that with Grita taking an active role in a mission, Noire switching to look for sparkling darkness, and whatever is going on with Schwarz and the hammer monster and what he plans to do with it and his or Grita's feelings

Already so much more complex than "I will make more darkness than you"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Junpei posted:

wait hold up rewind Saber is getting good?

No, it's still terrible.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Is anybody subbing Girl Gun Lady?

Someone is.

https://renshuusubs.wordpress.com/

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Even in the few episodes since he showed up (having not watched any more since my last post) there's been some of that with Grita taking an active role in a mission, Noire switching to look for sparkling darkness, and whatever is going on with Schwarz and the hammer monster and what he plans to do with it and his or Grita's feelings

I do wish they did a full villain team role call like Nero wanted in the movie.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's too bad that Wagon is literally intolerable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sweet, thanks.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
ToQger 16-18

okay, you all weren't kidding. Akira rules so far. great introductory episodes

Xelkelvos posted:

I do wish they did a full villain team role call like Nero wanted in the movie.

dang. that'd be sick

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's too bad that Wagon is literally intolerable.

yeaaaah, she's not great and really sticks out like a sore thumb

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't want to judge an entire series based on the first few episodes but so far Ultraman Geed absolutely kicks rear end.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

I don't want to judge an entire series based on the first few episodes but so far Ultraman Geed absolutely kicks rear end.

It's REALLY good. I think one of the best of the New Generation Ultras for sure (I like Orb a bit more but I'm also old and Orb definitely goes for Showa era fans). Riku is a great character and his arc through the show is fantastic. His actor, Tatsuomi Hamada, has been the youngest actor to play an Ultra (he was 17 when Geed was filmed!) and also has been an enormous Ultraman fan since he was super young, and even played a character when he was 10 in the Ultraman Zero movie. You'll enjoy the entire series.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Also, Geed's actor being 17 and a babyface is really funny when he guest-stars in Z and looks five years older despite only like two years separating the productions.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I saw him at the 2019 TsubuCon and yeah he was already changed quite a bit from when Geed had aired.

He does actually seem really wholesome though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Really enjoying reading your reactions. ToQger was such a fun show. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gripweed posted:

Believe me, it only gets better. Geed's an absolutely excellent show and my favourite Ultraman.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Even the Ultraman Geed movie is pretty decent as it gives all the characters a chance to shine, including Reito.

Throwing in Gai Kurenai and Juggler is just icing on the cake.

In Ultraman Z, it's implied that Geed's Secret Base survived the self-destruct at the end of the TV series (tbf, this was also established in the movie) and now acts as transport for Riku and Pega to fight for justice across the Multiverse.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kamen Rider Genms: The Presidents has been subbed and it's exactly what one might expect with the return of Dan Kuroto.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

That's some good taste in Kamen Riders.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

Kamen Rider Genms: The Presidents has been subbed and it's exactly what one might expect with the return of Dan Kuroto.

Oh boy, is it. Kuroto's still the absolute best and seeing Gai get owned is so good. I'm not convinced that was the writers wanted me to feel but that's exactly how I felt, Kuroto's the good guy here entirely because he utterly destroys Gai.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Zero: "Hey Da - - *urk* "

Seven: "These fine people need to see my CAPE, boy"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

A good day of parenting for Seven.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The transformation sequence for Ultraman Zero Beyond is so loving long.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
can't believe the new bad guy in Zenkaiger is just called... Stacy.

I have a relative named Stacy! That's not an intimidating name!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Gripweed posted:

The transformation sequence for Ultraman Zero Beyond is so loving long.

It's only the first sequence where he has to fuse the individual capsules of Ginga/Orb/Victory/X into G/O for New Generation Alpha and X/V for New Generation Beta, then Fusion Rise with the Alpha and Beta Capsules.

After the New Generation Fusions, he only has to fuse with the Alpha and Beta Capsules.

Also, time in the space spent transforming we see as taking forever in subjective time takes a fraction of a second in 'real' space, according to Z..

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Geed transformations are the closest to being OK of all the recent Ultraman transformations I've seen. Putting a bullet into a thing is a much more dramatic gesture than lightly tapping a stick to the bottom of an action figure's foot or gently waving a card through a hoop.

But it's still not great. What is the point of having the Ultraman's spawn out of the bullets at the beginning if they're going to appear again at the end in a flash? Their appearance at the end is unrelated to their appearance at the beginning! And pausing the scanner over each bullet lessens the momentum too. Especially since the scanner doesn't read the names in the pauses like Z's scanner does. So there's no reason to pause! Just swipe it in one go like OOO's belt.

Now I know that the transformations are stock footage that helps pad the episodes run time, but losing the Ultamans spawning from the bullets and swiping the thing without pausing would drastically improve the transformation while only shortening it by at most like three seconds. There are multiple transformations each episode so they would need to come up with 10-15 seconds of extra footage each episode. And for that they could easily use a different episode padding technique; just show Laiha doing some martial arts stuff in short shorts and a tank top. Ultraman Geed is hardly shy about doing it already, adding another 10-15 seconds of it each episode wouldn't be a huge change.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I always wondered-so I read somewhere that in Japan, the Sentai toys that sell are the roleplay gear-weapons and changers and the like-while in America, Power Rangers toys that sell are action figures and Zords.

I wonder what causes that shift in toy sales from one area to another?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Junpei posted:

I always wondered-so I read somewhere that in Japan, the Sentai toys that sell are the roleplay gear-weapons and changers and the like-while in America, Power Rangers toys that sell are action figures and Zords.

If I had to guess from my own experience being a young Ranger fan, parents don’t want to buy their kids big plastic swords to beat their little brothers with. Always wanted that Power Canon set but never got it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah Japan has role play toys but also figures, Mecha, etc. Being able to henshin and BE Kamen Rider is a big part of the whole experience.

Also on this past episode of Zenkaiger: Magine’s little dance :3:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Junpei posted:

I always wanted the gloves that made the whoosh-whoosh sounds while you excitedly wave your arms around (one part of the MMPR production I miss in today's shows), but the rise of PR sort of came along with the decline of toy guns at K-Mart and the end of plastic weapons in general. The country was becoming the America we have today, so you can see why, but in Reagan's era you could still sort of see a little bit of the old "kid cowboy with a fake gun" sort of thing at Toys R Us. The generational shift to t he Clinton era regulated the orange tips and whatnot while beginning the pressure on retailers to remove them and the tough-on-crime hardening of police to get us to here. Thanks, boomers!

It wasn't too big of a problem for PR. They liked to promote the marital arts as being key over the weapons, given that your usual PR episode has uncostumed karate exhibitions by guys who know karate more than they do acting. Also the Zeo weapons kinda suck rear end so after the MMPR movie they pretty much forgot about 'em.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Does the west also even bother trying to replicate the fancy toys that make noises that Sentai get nowadays?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dino Fury's got a morpher, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N09cd_t8ZDg

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
BTW: Anyone who compares PR and Sentai, especially anyone talking about everything up to about RPM, would do an absolute disservice to not mention the significance of unmorphed fight scenes. It's really a pivotal change that seemingly everything revolves around, from their different standards for actors to the sorts of toys they prioritize to how much footage they use.

And of course it had such an effect on Koichi Sakamoto that you can tell when Sakamoto's hands are on a Sentai/Rider production by the characters suddenly throwing down out of costume. It always hits me as hilarious that in his Ex-Aid movie he had Lazer enter the picture with a JDF kick from out of frame. It's even funnier that Lazer's actor eventually adopted that spinning JDF roundhouse for the "watcha name?" part of the henshin a few times, replacing the superkick he started with if I remember it right.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Toy pics are out showing TwoKaiser's design

https://twitter.com/RangerBoard/status/1382591265712246784

I guess seeing the actual context in the show could change my mind but right now it's just kind of like "I, uh... hmm"

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 15, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I guess seeing the actual context in the show could change my mind but right now it's just kind of like "I, uh... hmm"

Huh, I wonder if it's just a shoutout or if he has some connections.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think some of that was revealed earlier in terms of the names and now we're actually getting some first glimpses of the actual design. It definitely is a choice to put those together and I assume it's also toy related in some aspect because I can't otherwise think of what those three have in common. Mind, it's at about about the same level of ZyuOhTheWorld's connection between its component animals

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TsuburayaGlobal/status/1382604607935811585

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Homora Gaykemi posted:

It's weird, but I don't hate it? I definitely think Gai would dig it.

Gokai Christmas. :allears:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And a teaser to boot:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=e8t11bHQOQg

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm pretty happy about the fact that his transformation gear isn't based on previous Ultramen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

That makes sense as Tiga didn't have any callbacks to previous Ultramen either, just the original in one of the later episodes.

Good to see Sakamoto back for another turn, should be interesting to see how he directs Trigger in light of the above.. didn't know he was an American citizen, no wonder his English is pretty good..

Interesting that they borrowed the idea of using the transformation tool as a host-usable weapon from Nexus..