Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

rannum posted:

When i say taken away for murder I mean it as a joke but... I'd be shocked if CDD didnt at least consider that Superpowered Teen Drama didn't lead to more than just going off alone that night, even if it's statistically unlikely.

Hell I doubt Cassidy was the only one in the city who suspected Undine of having something to do with her team's deaths; wouldn't surprise me if the CDD had to at least briefly consider it just as due diligence

I mean the thing is that Undine was also injured in the attack that killed her teammates and Tessa's testimony on what happened would match Undine's minus the whole power transfer that occurred. Cassidy's suspicions were filtered through her disdain that someone else was getting intimate with Kokoro and I would hope the adults of this world don't have the same vague and baseless suspicions that Undine was party too or responsible for her team's death. I do think they are fully aware of her pink eyes and what that means though since the CDD clearly knows more about how magical girl powers interact and can be inherited as we saw with the coverup for Kokoro's mother.

I don't think it's implausible that magical girls in this setting have committed crimes using their powers even including murder. But by that same token if this were an investigation to figure out if Undine killed Cassidy it's awfully casual and understaffed. Each of these girls are living weapons and they sent in a retired MG and maybe a second one (or just a normal human officer we don't know about Beth). I mean maybe the prosthetic arm doubles as a weapon or they are hoping that with a school full of other magical girls nobody will do something stupid, but a murder investigation for this would probably entail asking the MG in question to come to a special facility rather than a counseling room.

As for Cassidy; what I think the CDD knows at this stage is that she participates in the after school training program and she wasn't with her teammates the previous night because an argument broke out at said training. But since they didn't call for Undine first I don't think Bud specified what really happened to Cassidy's teammates as Minxing only thinks to call for her after Kokoro mentions it. I definitely think they suspect Cassidy just got picked off solo rather than murdered by Undine. Even if Bud had gone into full detail for Lettie, she would have mentioned that after Undine left Kokoro went after her and it's already a known thing that the two are basically teammates. Would be hard to suspect undine for murder if she was also with someone else although you could argue nobody saw the two of them together during their patrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
One thing to keep in mind when discussing what the leadership of the society and cover-ups and conspiracies - this has been going on for at least one and very likely two or more generations. I don't recall anyone noting that HP's mom was among the first magical girls, and it seems like the status quo for magical girl civic defense was already in effect at that point. Which means that the original magical girls are likely at least in their 40s if not older - and thus likely to be pretty high up in the societal leadership schema themselves. As such, I think it's actually more likely that those older former MGs who've moved up the ladder in the due course of time are read into whatever the leaders of the city know about the situation. Now, there could still be a conspiracy at play, but it'd more likely be done by and with the support and approval of former MGs than anything else.

So while I'm sure there are investigations as a matter of course to make sure there's no foul play - and I'm sure Magical Girls have killed or injured others during such a long period of time - I don't see why there'd be particularized suspicion towards HP and Undine or any plans for a cover up over what happened to Cass.

Also, it's high school. Rumors would fly about an actual murder even in the case of a competent cover-up.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

habeasdorkus posted:

One thing to keep in mind when discussing what the leadership of the society and cover-ups and conspiracies - this has been going on for at least one and very likely two or more generations. I don't recall anyone noting that HP's mom was among the first magical girls, and it seems like the status quo for magical girl civic defense was already in effect at that point. Which means that the original magical girls are likely at least in their 40s if not older - and thus likely to be pretty high up in the societal leadership schema themselves. As such, I think it's actually more likely that those older former MGs who've moved up the ladder in the due course of time are read into whatever the leaders of the city know about the situation. Now, there could still be a conspiracy at play, but it'd more likely be done by and with the support and approval of former MGs than anything else.

So while I'm sure there are investigations as a matter of course to make sure there's no foul play - and I'm sure Magical Girls have killed or injured others during such a long period of time - I don't see why there'd be particularized suspicion towards HP and Undine or any plans for a cover up over what happened to Cass.

Also, it's high school. Rumors would fly about an actual murder even in the case of a competent cover-up.

My take on the conspiracy angle is that the government's mostly hiding that they have no idea how any of this works either. They're reliant on magical child soldiers and they clearly don't like it, given things like the quizzes they have Magical Girls fill out, but they also can't do anything about it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

My take on the conspiracy angle is that the government's mostly hiding that they have no idea how any of this works either. They're reliant on magical child soldiers and they clearly don't like it, given things like the quizzes they have Magical Girls fill out, but they also can't do anything about it.

I think that's probably true, and all the more reason that they'd have a whole lot of ex-MGs working for them! But that's more of the "this is top secret, please don't let the people know how we're flying blind" type of government secrecy.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-24

That was a fast update.

Mingxing is going to be in the same role as Cho was in KB, isn't she?

E: Actually, probably Reed's considering they both lost limbs.

madjack fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 17, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I was wondering of the blue poster behind Kokoro would pan out to anything

madjack posted:

Mingxing is going to be in the same role as Cho was in KB, isn't she?
What's KB?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

KiwiBlitz, another of the author's webcomics.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Potsticker posted:

KiwiBlitz, another of the author's webcomics.

Thanks, thought it was an anime reference.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You may notice some familiar faces that made cameos earlier.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I can't believe the Sleepless Domain world canonically has Shrek.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
shrek is a universal constant

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I like that Undine and Kokoro are sitting under posters that are thematically appropriate for one another.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

We've already seen most of the main cast of Kiwi Blitz as Team Blitz, but we also saw Frances Freeman (aka Steffi's Dad's Assistant) as a magical girl in part of a crowd shot at the school, and Reed Bahia is Rue's dad.

It is possible we've seen members of Alter running around, but didn't recognize them without being all animal-y.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

One possible reason the comic may be updating a little quicker than before - besides the break - is that the shots inside this office so far (from page 20 onwards) have had this note:

Mary Cagle posted:

Background assistance by Cheryl Young!

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Daktar posted:

I like that Undine and Kokoro are sitting under posters that are thematically appropriate for one another.

And the panel with both of them overlapping has a poster about teamwork being the key!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Between the carefully designed background room and the multiple dynamic angles that use it to its fullest, this is an intricately well-done scene for what could otherwise be some very humdrum "three people sitting in a room talking" pages.

Mary Cagle is very good at this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given all the angles and the super accurate projection of the 2D posters onto them, I'm wondering if they did a 3D mockup of the room with content posters on the walls for them to draw panels over.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Between the carefully designed background room and the multiple dynamic angles that use it to its fullest, this is an intricately well-done scene for what could otherwise be some very humdrum "three people sitting in a room talking" pages.

Mary Cagle is very good at this.

She's really putting her new background artist through their paces!

MikeJF posted:

Given all the angles and the super accurate projection of the 2D posters onto them, I'm wondering if they did a 3D mockup of the room with content posters on the walls for them to draw panels over.

AFAIK this is part of how Mary operates with interiors; she does a 3D model of the room as a reference. The posters are also separate images that she skews into place, but you probably guessed that already.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah Mingxing is definitely the Cho of this comic. Upbeat Cho.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Permalink to the new page.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
BSS: Batman's Scrappy Sidekick > Sleepless Domain: drat, That's a lot.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
Mingxing's seeing the whole goops thing as a coping mechanism. Not the best, but at least someone is forewarned if they find proof.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

madjack posted:

Mingxing's seeing the whole goops thing as a coping mechanism. Not the best, but at least someone is forewarned if they find proof.

How the gently caress are you getting this?

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

How the gently caress are you getting this?

Look on the right side of the last panel, the little expression lines next to Undine's head read to me like she thinks she isn't being believed.

Mingxing also seems.. not dismissive but she's just been told there's a murderous MG or something like it on the loose and that doesn't seem like the reaction of someone whos taking it completely seriously.

She'll probably try to look into it or something, but the the girls don't have proof of it yet.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That's just Undine being surprised by that reaction because who the hell says that to what she just explained?

Auntie Mingxing, that's who.

If the ex-magical girl now-cop doesn't believe a current MG about a new, dangerous monster showing up then she's an idiot and nothing has shown that Mingxing is anything but just kind of goofy.

This thread has some weird-rear end takes sometimes.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Bussamove posted:

That's just Undine being surprised by that reaction because who the hell says that to what she just explained?

Yeah, I guess it could be.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A coping mechanism can't call Kokoro on the phone with death threats.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Bussamove posted:

If the ex-magical girl now-cop doesn't believe a current MG about a new, dangerous monster showing up then she's an idiot and nothing has shown that Mingxing is anything but just kind of goofy.

This thread has some weird-rear end takes sometimes.
Default expectations from other media makes it easy to assume that the authorities are going to be in denial or otherwise unhelpful, because so many stories use that as a way to keep the action hinging on the protagonists. The specifics of this scene and Minxing as a character run counter to that, but I think a lot of us in the audience are still instinctively bracing for some kind of negative turn. Possibly not from Minxing, but the rest of her organization?

Subverting that sort of trope seems like something this comic would do, of course.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 22, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I was just coming to this thread to say that I'm actually quite pleased that Undine was coming straight out to authority figures with this rather than keeping it a secret. It's an open question as to whether the authority figures in this world can do anything to help with Goops, but it's still the right move to tell them.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

If there's any negative twist to this it might be mingxing believes it (or at least, enough to take it seriously as a Monster Threat) but might be a hard sell to the higher ups. Could easily be written off as coping and Kokoro just going with the story; Mingxing knows Kokoro wouldn't lie and is probably sympathetic to Undine enough to believe her but it might be different going up the chain.

Alternatively... we don't know the specifics of what Undine told her. Skipping the exposition is obvious thing to do, but it also leaves room for if she just goes something like... "Weird, specific goop monster keeps being seen, looks like a girl and seems to be leading monsters around" that side steps the harder to believe parts (it's talking, it has a grudge, it was able to contact Korkoro by phone, etc) while still getting the important specifics across

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The weird remarkably-similar-to-undine-but-with-kokoro's-nose twins in the hallway are really weirding me out and actually confused me at first. Sort of makes me realize how much the art style has drifted to the point where color scheme has become such a core identifying feature.

Or maybe it's just me.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

girl dick energy posted:

A coping mechanism can't call Kokoro on the phone with death threats.

I mean, if we're going to lean all the way into this theory that Mingxing is skeptical and cynical about Undine's explanation, no it can't. But an attention seeking teenager desperate to be believed who wants to convince a friend of their story could. Kokoro has yet to see Goops in person.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I mean, if we're going to lean all the way into this theory that Mingxing is skeptical and cynical about Undine's explanation, no it can't. But an attention seeking teenager desperate to be believed who wants to convince a friend of their story could. Kokoro has yet to see Goops in person.

On the other hand, Kokoro's threatening caller knew about Mitsuki. Mingxing would know just how significant that is.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

madjack posted:

Man, i thought jumping to conclusions is not an Olympic sport, yet this loving clown just made a loving world record.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ElMaligno posted:

Man, i thought jumping to conclusions is not an Olympic sport, yet this loving clown just made a loving world record.

Come on, pal, that's not very usagi of you.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ElMaligno posted:

I mean it's speculation, but imo it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean it's speculation, but imo it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Much in the same way that I could be vaporized one second after this post goes up by a rogue meteorite. Bring possible is not the same as being likely.

Seriously though, this thread has been chomping at the bit to identify the character(s) that will gently caress things up for everyone, to the point of slight derangement (See also 'Of course the cops know Cassidy was loving murdered even though there is no real evidence of the characters themselves knowing that for sure and they think Undine did it even though she had an alibi')

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 22, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

After weeks of confusion on whether or not people were being ironic about the fuzz actually suspecting Undine over Cassidy's disappearance and likely murder. The idea that Kokoro's cool aunt wouldn't believe them on this matter while also being a magical girl herself is really out of left field.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Its also speculation and within the realm of possibility that I will nail you to the wall with my massive hog but you don't see me posting about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

From the outside it would be really easy to dismiss Undine's experiences as grief-induced exaggerations, or even hallucinations. It's probably an easier sell than there being a person in the walls that can tactically direct monsters, that appears to have it out for Undine for some reason.

I think it comes down to whether she mentioned Kokoro getting the threatening call about her mother. Kokoro isn't under the same kind of emotional strain, and Mingxing of all people knows exactly how significant it is.