Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My dream of a Redline/Fast and the Furious crossover movie is now one step closer to reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know the Fast movies basically pretend the first two don't exist but it is pretty lol that superspy/terrorist John Cena is all "I was always in your shadow, brother who spent his 20s running a gang that heisted semis full of TV/VCR combo units and was a small time street racer."

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I know the Fast movies basically pretend the first two don't exist but it is pretty lol that superspy/terrorist John Cena is all "I was always in your shadow, brother who spent his 20s running a gang that heisted semis full of TV/VCR combo units and was a small time street racer."

Idk age differences but stick with me. Dom kills the guy with a wrench, Jakob lives with no father or brother and that shadow over him. Dom gets out of prison and becomes big on the streets, Jakob runs off to the structure of military. Jakob works his way up to being a big deal and by the time he pulls his nose from the grindstone, there's Dom and his "family" doing big time global shenanigans with governmental backing. I get what you're saying but if Dom is such a big deal that it took until the 9th movie to even discover his brother existed, I should say the brother's gripe is valid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Count on that being the time when one of SpaceX's manned flights explodes.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

muscles like this! posted:

I can't stand this "protagonist has sibling we've never heard about who's now the villain" trope. They did it with 24 and didn't even cast Donald Sutherland as Jack Bauer's father smdh. Also happened in the Girl in the Spider's Web where Lisbeth Salander has become a superspy so therefore her heretofore unmentioned twin sister is a world class criminal mastermind. Feels like such an artificial way of establishing conflict between characters we've never heard of before.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 14, 2021

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I want to know what the Japanese title of F9 is. F8 was Wild Speed: Ice Break.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The MSJ posted:

I want to know what the Japanese title of F9 is. F8 was Wild Speed: Ice Break.

Wild Speed: Brother War

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
I haven't seen any of the F&F movies. Should I? If so, which ones?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

confused posted:

Just the second one. It otherwise starts bad and actively gets worse, particularly around the time The Rock turns up.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I'm by no means a superfan of F&F, but they are in fact good.

1-4 are schlocky, B-movie material that can be fun if you're really toasty, with 1 and Tokyo Drift being good standouts (I can tell you that 3/Tokyo Drift is going to be the goon favorite). 5 and 6 are really legit action movies and are great all-around. 7 and on are solid movies that are clearly banking on both the star power of their antagonists and escalating gimmicks, but still fun nonetheless.

Try Fast 5 first, then try the original.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Me: "So what's the hook/action set piece for this one?"
Sees magnets.
Me: "Sure, why not."

Also, Helen Mirren remains awesome.

I rewatched the original one. Holds up, mainly because its so low stakes.

Maybe that's why I haven't really seen 6 7 or 8.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
The first is Point Break with cars.

The 2nd is neon 2000s garbage.

The 3rd is a take on "white guy teaching the Japanese about honor" even down to a final duel, but with street racing.

The 4th is a callback but ends up being less engaging, mostly due to Vin Diesel.

5-7 are insane superhero teamup action where their superpower is cars.

8 is trying to bring back the magic of 5-7 and is mediocre.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

confused posted:

You should watch every single one of them. In release order, not timeline order.

If you need a companion to them, some of the guys at Giant Bomb did a commentary track for the first seven films.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Unoriginal Name posted:

The 3rd is a take on "white guy teaching the Japanese about honor" even down to a final duel, but with street racing.

The 4th is a callback but ends up being less engaging, mostly due to Vin Diesel.

Skip Hobbs & Shaw entirely.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

confused posted:

All of them because the payoff in Fast Five is worth it. From Fast Five on, it's up to you which ones you want to get destroyed by, but I still suggest all of them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Unoriginal Name posted:

This is perfectly accurate. I can't quite pinpoint why I didn't care for 8 as much, but I just found myself thinking that maybe the gimmick was done.

But drat, 5-7 are fun, with 7 probably being the high point, for me. 5-7 are basically about a team of immortals who don't know they're immortals, but act like they don't care if they'll die anyway.

I'm hoping 9 can be fun again.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Skip Hobbs & Shaw entirely.

This is also accurate. It's a buddy "cop" movie where they're both the loud mouth funny cool rear end in a top hat, and it's just a chore.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Hobbes and Shaw is kinda fun, just for how straightfaced they are about pretending that Jason Statham and Vanessa Kirby are close to the same age.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If Fast 10 is not marketed as FX and pronounced like "fax" just delete the franchise

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

why would that be pronounced like fax and not like effects

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

why would that be pronounced like fax and not like effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihsrN34WkME

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/scottEmovienerd/status/1382673650587987968

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cruise going out like Walker.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The statement "this Dom shrine" indicates the existence of multiple Dom shrines to experience the dom state of mind

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The statement "this Dom shrine" indicates the existence of multiple Dom shrines to experience the dom state of mind

There’s one established Dom shrine in each continent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Patrick Spens posted:

Hobbes and Shaw is kinda fun, just for how straightfaced they are about pretending that Jason Statham and Vanessa Kirby are close to the same age.

There's a similar thing in the mainline movies where they pretend that Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez went to high school at the same time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It's an Olive Garden.

...where you're family.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

Also 3 takes place between the end of 6 and it's epilogue.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This is why I always gonna give Vin a chance: deep down, everything he says and does comes from an incredibly sincere place and also he's a total loving goober.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
F8's biggest sin was spoiling every interesting moment in the trailers. i would have enjoyed watching it in theaters if i hadn't seen the entire submarine sequence already

oh also i think it's profoundly weird that the villain always has one buff woman in his employ that is sent to fight michelle rodriguez in the last arc of the movie. i feel like we as a society have progressed past the point where anybody would be particularly aghast if she got to knock a dude flat on his rear end

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 15, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm very pleased to have never seen one of these movies.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

kiimo posted:

You're missing out on some the best action & stunts of the modern era IMO.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Some of the best acting, too

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah Justin Lin is easily one of the best action directors working and Fast 5 is incredible even if you haven't seen the others.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kiimo posted:

Don't worry, you aren't missing out on anything.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

But at what cost

https://twitter.com/wsvn/status/1382750780097241093

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They do this on the 2nd one, by the way.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Maybe they're Blue Brothers fans.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Some of the best acting, too

I absolutely refuse to believe this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I absolutely refuse to believe this.

Yeah not really. They're dumb action movies, no one is really spending a lot of time actually acting, except maybe Jason Statham and Sung Kang, at times. I'd say the series has a bigger miss than hit rate, personally, 3, 5 and 6 are the only ones I'd call actually good, 7 is half-good, and the rest are mediocre to bad. 8 and Hobbs/Shaw were so terrible I wish they would have stopped the series at 7.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah not really. They're dumb action movies, no one is really spending a lot of time actually acting, except maybe Jason Statham and Sung Kang, at times. I'd say the series has a bigger miss than hit rate, personally, 3, 5 and 6 are the only ones I'd call actually good, 7 is half-good, and the rest are mediocre to bad. 8 and Hobbs/Shaw were so terrible I wish they would have stopped the series at 7.

I love the series, for the most part, but legit kind of hate 8 and Hobbes and Shaw. It's a fine line.