Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Recognize that the railgun orbit targeting mechanic is stupid and unfun and doesn't make any sense and get the auto targeting mod, enjoy 4 GW of energy. Or build a poo poo load of fake suns and coat the poles of your planets in solar panels.

people have already talked up the benefits of perpetual day/night planets in this thread, but one of their additional benefits is easy 100% uptime on railguns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Venuz Patrol posted:

people have already talked up the benefits of perpetual day/night planets in this thread, but one of their additional benefits is easy 100% uptime on railguns

So I've heard. Haven't lucked out enough to find one yet.

Considering whether this energy exchanger array is even worth it vs just shipping the antimatter rods somewhere and running the stars there. Making them so slowly (while using my entire sphere output and then some) that the logistics ships will easily have an hour+ between them... but maybe the transport density will make up for it, and I suppose I can always just adjust the load requirement down and hope my power supplies don't collapse still. This is apparently the hell part of designing things.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SkyeAuroline posted:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Considering whether this energy exchanger array is even worth it vs just shipping the antimatter rods somewhere and running the stars there. Making them so slowly (while using my entire sphere output and then some) that the logistics ships will easily have an hour+ between them... but maybe the transport density will make up for it, and I suppose I can always just adjust the load requirement down and hope my power supplies don't collapse still. This is apparently the hell part of designing things.

A hold's worth of antimatter rods is substantially more energetic than a hold's worth of accumulators. In general I've found that accumulator setups are decent as long as you remember to eventually cut off the supply of new-manufacture empties to the interstellar network, but if you're going to be doing more than mining and charging logistics when an ore freighter dusts off you probably want another option partially in place and with the supplies to expand it, in case this turns out to be the weakest link in your network once things go under more load than you'd imagined when you initially designed them.

Every world where you're doing heavy lifting needs that contingency poo poo in place, and if you're already doing it anyway...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys got any performance tips? I have a pretty beefy setup but there just aren't many graphics options, and dropping the res from 1440 to 1080 doesn't seem to make a difference. I got everything else set to low but there are only like 3 options. 30 fps on my factory world is killing me

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How do you determine the number of solar sails needed to fill a sphere? Is there some formula or something? I'm not finding much googling around.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

How do you determine the number of solar sails needed to fill a sphere? Is there some formula or something? I'm not finding much googling around.

You just keep shooting sails at it until it is full of course! If it is taking too long, build more sails and guns!

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

TehSaurus posted:

You just keep shooting sails at it until it is full of course! If it is taking too long, build more sails and guns!

This is the only acceptable answer to your problem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Might I interest you in a mod :grin:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

zoux posted:

Might I interest you in a mod :grin:

Burn the witch!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
DSP is possibly the first game where I've reached the endgame on vanilla, installed some mods, and then instead of burning out until the next playthrough, turbocharged my drive to play the game.

Copyinserters was already a godsend for increasing the output of my rocket production, but replacing it with multibuild let me just copy & paste my intermediate product chains in other systems via Factorio style blueprinting.

It's amazing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

By the way, is there a way or a mod to just have rail ejectors fire when there are unfilled dyson shells available to shoot at?

I don't have a shortage in solar sails, but it's essentially just a waste and thus a drain on my raw-inputs to have a dyson swarm at this point in the game. And I'm starting to suck those raw materials dry real quick.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux posted:

You guys got any performance tips? I have a pretty beefy setup but there just aren't many graphics options, and dropping the res from 1440 to 1080 doesn't seem to make a difference. I got everything else set to low but there are only like 3 options. 30 fps on my factory world is killing me

Ask and ye shall receive I guess. Gives you three options: turn off sphere mesh, "calculate factories in parallel" what ever that means and disable shadows. With all three off I was running rock solid 60fps on a planet where I'd frequently drop below 30, but the sphere looks stupid without the mesh. That seems to cost between 10 and 15 FPS depending on if I'm looking at the sphere or not. My specs are Ryzen 3700/2080 Super with 32 GB ram, so I imagine it'll matter more depending on how much better or worse your set up is. I can live with ~50 fps so I can have the mesh turned on.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zoux posted:

Ask and ye shall receive I guess. Gives you three options: turn off sphere mesh, "calculate factories in parallel" what ever that means and disable shadows. With all three off I was running rock solid 60fps on a planet where I'd frequently drop below 30, but the sphere looks stupid without the mesh. That seems to cost between 10 and 15 FPS depending on if I'm looking at the sphere or not. My specs are Ryzen 3700/2080 Super with 32 GB ram, so I imagine it'll matter more depending on how much better or worse your set up is. I can live with ~50 fps so I can have the mesh turned on.

A note from the developer a few hours ago, though. Just for folks to be careful and all.

quote:

Unfortunately there’s already a bug. If you have paralleliseFactories enabled the game might crash when you complete a research. I’ll fix it as soon as possible

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
I tried BetterFPS yesterday and I was getting crashes within 10 minutes of starting my save file - good to know that it was related to paralleliseFactories.

Another mod I've used that has helped me is MoreGraphicsOptions - I noticed huge improvements on my home planet in particular and graphics quality didn't reduce that much.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

54 hours, Mission Complete. Definitely shelving this for a while but it was a nice experience. I look forward to improvements.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
I'm almost unlocking white cubes while preparing to start launching rockets into my Dyson Sphere, but I'm already thinking about what a new run would look like.

Has anyone tried a challenge run? My only thoughts are to try a low resource run, either with a <1 resource multiplier and/or a fewer number of stars on a random seed. Reduced resources forces a smarter interstellar logistics network and spreads out factories across more planets, but reducing the number of stars just seems like it'd be more tedious to get around the star cluster without adding any real challenge.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
mod every star in the cluster to be a black hole

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I did kind of that, my current game is using the NG + mod that lets you take your full tech tree and inventory into a brand new game. Starting with suns+antimatter, then deciding what you need to take along with you to start afresh and get back to antimatter and warpers before you exhaust your fuel is an interesting challenge. Plus the progression dynamic is so different when you start with mkiii stuff and ils towers.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Decided to stress test my interstellar mass manufacturing of sails and rockets by starting to finish up the dyson sphere in my starter system, and I very quickly realized that I'm not even remotely close to the launch capacity to deplete my stockpiles.
The thing that I posted about a while ago that ended up shooting me in the foot - namely buffering tier 1 processed outputs from raw materials - early/midgame also turned out to be a boon, because I also buffer and stockpile pretty much all finished products, so those 3 sails per second that I've been running since roughly the midgame have stacked up to a comical stockpile that is now being perpetually topped off by my new production line off-system that is churning out 40 per second.

My idea was to scale up rocket and sail production, and then just knock out a basic dyson sphere on any new system i start building in.
But the ejector/rocket launch setups you need to lay down just feels like a bit of a chore unless you just do it via blueprints. Accumulator import/export for a casual 150MW of power (more than I really need for any basic planet exploitation on non-processing planets) is just a lot easier.
The only thing that seems like it's left to do is set up a dedicated system for accumulator charging/disposition with its own dyson sphere on a high-luminosity star.

Also, I've scrapped my dumb spaghettified research hub to a dumb, but at least non-spaghettified research hub.

Research is starting to feel like a mix between cheaty and diminishing-returnsy. Every upgrade of veins utilization makes the output of my resource nodes just a bit beefier, while everything else doesn't really seem to make a difference anymore.
I'm up to level 11 of Veins utilization, which already cost like 28k white cubes, all other researches just don't really feel worth it anymore. Research speed doesn't reduce resource usage, by yielding more research per cube as it does in Factorio, right? So sinking cubes into that also feels kinda pointless, unless i KEEP scaling up research production, but that just lets me upgrade veins utilization a little bit faster.
And I'm already using less than 50% of ore at 210% mining speed, sooo...I feel like I might just stop research altogether.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you're that far down the infinite rabbit hole I don't know how you walk away before you get 0% vein utilization and can tap monopolar magnets foreverially to finally have enough green motors.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

That's what I was gonna say, veins utilization is basically "unipolar magnets become somewhat practical, also some other benefits". Would not pass that one up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some dude on reddit got to infinite resources at vein utilization 161

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

zoux posted:

Some dude on reddit got to infinite resources at vein utilization 161

That just makes the dispaly say zero. The actual lowest consumption is at level 348, where you have a 1/2^32 resource consumption rate.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

That just makes the dispaly say zero. The actual lowest consumption is at level 348, where you have a 1/2^32 resource consumption rate.

Ok but at that rate, recognizing that the max you can actually pull from a vein is 30/sec/miner I'm pretty comfortable calling that functionally infinite!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Roadmap update released

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Oh hell yes

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
this is a good start. Not exciting enough to get me to start a new game, but good stuff.

it's a bit poo poo that their multi-build solution still doesnt include inserters, tho.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Them looking at a 180 universal science per second save to figure out CPU bottlenecks is wild.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I stopped after finally getting the kinks out of my 30/s factory. Sticking most of it on one planet really kills my framerate. I kinda want to try another one with the lessons I've learned, and then target the system with like 5 moons on the gas giant for my final factory. 90/s feels like a good point to just let the game idle and get to the mythical level 590... which would take 3 months. I think I might want to scale up even more, and really figure out how to build to maximize performance.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
If you watch the video of the update, the dev mentions 'Combat systems' , so there is potentially more then what is shown coming.

I would like to see more things then what mods are currently providing though

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

awesmoe posted:

this is a good start. Not exciting enough to get me to start a new game, but good stuff.

it's a bit poo poo that their multi-build solution still doesnt include inserters, tho.

It's hard to say for sure since it's a translation, but I think the post implied that what they have working now is just single buildings, but what they have ready by the time of the patch may be more than that. This patch will almost certainly break mod compatibility and it would suck for blueprints to take a step backwards until the mods catch up though.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I've slowly been playing to try and not burn myself out way before more updates roll in. I'd like to be able to come back to it some day after more features get added, unlike Animal Crossing where I spent 300 hours in a month and I don't want to touch it again.

I'm getting super close to being able to set up my first interstellar logistics station so I can finally set up a lava planet mall and automatically transport materials back to my home planet. I'm quickly running out of iron at home, too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I know it's a minor thing but I am way, waaay too interested in the global starsector ranking map to show what people have done.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So many of you wish to be humiliated by my superior dyson spheresmanship, well it's your funeral.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Multithreading update excites me the most. There are certain other games in adjacent genres that are wrecked by poor lategame performance due to being single threaded (oxygen not included comes to mind immediately :()

The multibuild thing is going to break blueprint mods probably which will be unfortunate. Hopefully they can update quickly.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

zoux posted:

So many of you wish to be humiliated by my superior dyson spheresmanship, well it's your funeral.

In space, no one can hear you scream (for more green motor production)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Alkydere posted:

I know it's a minor thing but I am way, waaay too interested in the global starsector ranking map to show what people have done.

If they don't have a way to effectively filter mods then the leader board will be useless. If they do then people will find a way around it and it'll still be useless.

Plus you still have the people who admit to leaving the game running 24/7 since launch to get the upper tiers of science "legit" for experimentation, who will acknowledge that it's basically just crypto mining except they don't get anything for it. Nobody will catch up to that.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Khorne posted:

Multithreading update excites me the most. There are certain other games in adjacent genres that are wrecked by poor lategame performance due to being single threaded (oxygen not included comes to mind immediately :()

The multibuild thing is going to break blueprint mods probably which will be unfortunate. Hopefully they can update quickly.

It's astounding considering how well the game runs normally that they decided "no this isn't good enough, we're going to test a 10000 science/minute save to see where we can optimize some bottlenecks". Real dedication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Still no update, but the idea got lodged in my head so I went ahead and wrote up comparisons of the various transportable power methods. Might help someone out.