Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

italian quid posted:

Yeah it's a pile of trash on MacOS, I had a recruiter want to connect using it and after 7 minutes it was just quicker to boot up an old windows computer and go through that.

I've had no issues with it and I use it all the time on my Mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you using it as part of your organization? The sense I got is it probably works better in that context but the program just ate poo poo and refused to launch in Safari based off a random email link.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Do you ever have meetings with people from other organisations- and is there a way to get rid of the 'guest' accounts. My googling leads me to believe this is all easier if you have an IT team and aren't just some random guy trying to set up a video call.

You'd think MS would learn something after failing with Skype, but there you go.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone here use Microsoft Teams? I have to use it for an upcoming call and it's being a pain.

I'm logging in with my email address (the same one I use for my Office365 account) but it keeps taking me to a "Welcome to Teams" screen where I have to select the name of an organisation I had a meeting with once months ago - presumably because they sent me an invite.

But that just sends me to another sign on screen for them which obviously I don't have a valid account for.

Is there anyway to remove that association? I've tried uninstalling the app but it does nothing.

It'll be in the settings for the account itself. Login to the account and you'll be able to remove it somewhere. I forget where exactly. Maybe on office.com

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
this is probably on the meeting organizer's side but i also use teams on mac all day with no issues with meetings both within my organization and originated by other third parties

all else fails just dial in and tell them their poo poo is broken

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is it possible to safely get Final Cut Pro X these days if your Mac is running Mojave and you haven’t bought the program before? The current version requires Catalina.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone here use Microsoft Teams? I have to use it for an upcoming call and it's being a pain.

I'm logging in with my email address (the same one I use for my Office365 account) but it keeps taking me to a "Welcome to Teams" screen where I have to select the name of an organisation I had a meeting with once months ago - presumably because they sent me an invite.

But that just sends me to another sign on screen for them which obviously I don't have a valid account for.

Is there anyway to remove that association? I've tried uninstalling the app but it does nothing.

Open it in a private safari/edge/chrome tab, ignore every request/suggestion to open it in the desktop app and see if it still fails.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Have to post this because I've been complaining so much about my 2019 16in MBPs battery life in this thread.

I finally found a fix that fixes the issue.

I'm still not entirely sure what's going on with the battery health reading but I'm not ruling out that Apple has the larger battery in the 2019 MBP not fill all the way up? Not sure but I just got a replacement and it reads anywhere between 95-97%.

Anyways, after a bunch of different attempts to get my battery life over 2-4 hours I finally found one that actually works.

I went from 2-3 hours of battery life on average to around 6-8 which I consider to be acceptable considering Apple advertising 10 hours of battery life at 75% brightness web browsing.

The solution is so stupid because basically all you have to do is reset the PRAM 3 times and then reset the SMC a single time after.

Don't know why it works but it did something for my machine so idk certainly worth a shot if you're having the same issue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-life-on-macbook-pro-16.2212813/page-11?post=28364649#post-28364649

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Have to post this because I've been complaining so much about my 2019 16in MBPs battery life in this thread.

I finally found a fix that fixes the issue.

I'm still not entirely sure what's going on with the battery health reading but I'm not ruling out that Apple has the larger battery in the 2019 MBP not fill all the way up? Not sure but I just got a replacement and it reads anywhere between 95-97%.

Anyways, after a bunch of different attempts to get my battery life over 2-4 hours I finally found one that actually works.

I went from 2-3 hours of battery life on average to around 6-8 which I consider to be acceptable considering Apple advertising 10 hours of battery life at 75% brightness web browsing.

The solution is so stupid because basically all you have to do is reset the PRAM 3 times and then reset the SMC a single time after.

Don't know why it works but it did something for my machine so idk certainly worth a shot if you're having the same issue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-life-on-macbook-pro-16.2212813/page-11?post=28364649#post-28364649
The 3 PRAM zaps followed by an SMC reset is a time honoured way to get Mac hardware stuff working. I remember having to do that on my PowerBook back in the day and I guess it’s still a winner.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mercurius posted:

The 3 PRAM zaps followed by an SMC reset is a time honoured way to get Mac hardware stuff working. I remember having to do that on my PowerBook back in the day and I guess it’s still a winner.

Good to know!

Looking at the mac forums, this seems to be a pretty common issue with the 2019 16in MBP. Not really sure why that is but hey I'll take it.

My laptop is actually working and I'm not in as big a hurry to replace it now lol.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

SlowBloke posted:

Open it in a private safari/edge/chrome tab, ignore every request/suggestion to open it in the desktop app and see if it still fails.

I can confirm this works. I did it for a second round of job interviews where they basically told me i wouldn't get the job if i couldn't get my camera to work. I was having the same problem as the OP, too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Xabi posted:

Is it possible to safely get Final Cut Pro X these days if your Mac is running Mojave and you haven’t bought the program before? The current version requires Catalina.

If it's anything like the IOS App Store then you have to buy the app on a new Mac and then it will be associated to your account, and then on your old Mac you can download the latest supported version.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Sad Panda posted:

It'll be in the settings for the account itself. Login to the account and you'll be able to remove it somewhere. I forget where exactly. Maybe on office.com

SlowBloke posted:

So I was actually able to log on using the browser version, yet still can't remove the guest account without logging in to - but my access has expired. It may also seem that personal accounts just can't use the Mac App by itself, you need a work account first - making blog posts like this more than a little misleading.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is there any reason qbTorrent is asking me to allow network connections every time I start it up? I used to use Transmission but it became a buggy mess in the last few releases, but it only ever asked me once to allow network connections.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Are there plans to make CrossOver native on Apple Silicon? Is that a dumb question?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sri.Theo posted:

It may also seem that personal accounts just can't use the Mac App by itself, you need a work account first

http://teams.live.com/ is for personal accounts(live) , https://teams.microsoft.com is for business accounts(azure ad). The app is for business accounts only.

EDIT: Newtek has remade their NDI app for android so if you need to do conferencing and you need a decent camera you now have that option(ios had that option for a while, free during the early lockdown), sadly it's quite pricey but unless you have a barebone android phone the selfie camera is likely better that whatever you can source for the price(or get in your mac)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 10, 2021

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

http://teams.live.com/ is for personal accounts(live) , https://teams.microsoft.com is for business accounts(azure ad). The app is for business accounts only.

EDIT: Newtek has remade their NDI app for android so if you need to do conferencing and you need a decent camera you now have that option(ios had that option for a while, free during the early lockdown), sadly it's quite pricey but unless you have a barebone android phone the selfie camera is likely better that whatever you can source for the price(or get in your mac)

Thanks for the clarity, I just think all the announcements and blog posts about personal accounts working on the Mac app should have had a massive asterisk saying “only works if you have a business account as well”.

I will make the browser app work, just not sure how it works with slides etc. Also still no way to remove that old guest account without being able to log in.

I did download the NDI tools when they were free and they work well with my iPhone X and would recommend them.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there any reason qbTorrent is asking me to allow network connections every time I start it up? I used to use Transmission but it became a buggy mess in the last few releases, but it only ever asked me once to allow network connections.
I've literally never had problems with Transmission, what bugs do you mean?

Edit: I think the asking on launch is due to lack of certificate signing. I know cross platform stuff like Jubler always asks.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sri.Theo posted:

I will make the browser app work, just not sure how it works with slides etc. Also still no way to remove that old guest account without being able to log in.

At least on chromium it’s 1:1 parity, only certain keyboard hot keys have issues

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Chris Knight posted:

I've literally never had problems with Transmission, what bugs do you mean?

The app has been freezing up whenever I start it on three different machines i own. I have no idea why!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MailTrackerBlocker (a plugin for Apple Mail) is telling me even Apple puts trackers into their emails; I just got the one for the Apple Event sent to the address I use when I buy stuff from Apple.

BTW, this is a handy plugin; it blocks trackers from activating and even tells you who is doing the tracking (MailChimp and Amazon seem to be the biggest offenders..)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I had no idea Mail even supported plugins.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://apparition47.github.io/MailTrackerBlocker/

Pretty good even installs and updates via homebrew if you want.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I have a weird problem:

A couple of days ago, embedded tweets in threads here stopped showing other than the abstract description text on iOS on my iPad (mini 2 12.5.2). I was up at my parents' and thought it might be a different ISP issue but I logged in on my mum's iPad and it worked fine. Works fine back here at my own place on my iMac but same thing with the iPad.

Did a load of searching around and it seems like I'm not alone but none of the suggested fixes work (cleared all caches/website data, rebooted a zillion times, turned off disabling cross-site abilities etc. etc.). No joy. I don't run any ad-blockers or anything on the iPad.

Tested on other sites with embedded tweets and it's the same so it's not just an SA thing. I'm completely baffled. Any ideas? Anyone having the same thing?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That question about tweets embedding comes up all the time in the Technical Support thread on QCS, and the answer is usually Twitter loving around with stuff (or ad blockers).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Comes up often in the Something Awful iOS thread as well, the answer is nearly always “Twitter hosed it up”

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Parallels released Parallels Desktop 16.5..

Good news is it'll run just fine and is written for the M1 chip

Bad news is it'll only run ARM-based OSes, like that Technical Preview they did, gonna have to wait for x86 emulation

Good news is that there's x86 emulation built into the Windows 10 ARM preview which is one of the supported ARM OSes

What does Parallels officially support on the M1? These guys:

Windows 10 on ARM Insider Preview
(Windows on ARM can run most of the regular Windows x86 applications. You can download the Parallels Desktop trial and install the application you need.)

Ubuntu 20.10, 20.04

Fedora Workstation 33-1.2

Debian GNU/Linux 10.7

Kali Linux 2021.1

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 14, 2021

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else getting a 'this webpage is using significant memory' message in safari. I keep getting this on both my macs when watching youtube, which is pretty much the only thing I use safari for anyway.

My mini has 32gb so I don't give a poo poo how much memory playing a single youtube video takes. Both are on catalina

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

track day bro! posted:

Is anyone else getting a 'this webpage is using significant memory' message in safari. I keep getting this on both my macs when watching youtube, which is pretty much the only thing I use safari for anyway.

My mini has 32gb so I don't give a poo poo how much memory playing a single youtube video takes. Both are on catalina

Yeah, I've had that on YouTube before. I usually just ignore it and never seen an impact. I don't see it often. It only seems to popup if I've been going down a rabbit hole of videos.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

track day bro! posted:

Discord trips it for me constantly.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Same with Tidal. Which is why they probably want you to just the desktop app lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I've had Safari start reload tabs way more often in Big Sur, I've just gone back to Chrome, which I've never noticed reload tabs.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Weird question: Could a VPN app mess up my configurations without me doing anything other than installing it?

I got VyprVPN over the weekend but I started having issues with my connection dropping even when I didn't even have the VPN app open; toggling Wi-Fi off and on fixed it. So I was thinking that, since it was the only thing I'd changed and the free VPN apps I had used didn't cause any problems, this may have had something to do with the VyprVPN app because of its "kill switch" function. (If you're running the VPN and want to make sure for privacy reasons that you don't automatically go back to your regular connection if the VPN connection drops, you turn on "kill switch.") Since uninstalling the VyprVPN MacOS app, this hasn't happened.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Binary Badger posted:

Bad news is it'll only run ARM-based OSes, like that Technical Preview they did, gonna have to wait for x86 emulation

Good news is that there's x86 emulation built into the Windows 10 ARM preview which is one of the supported ARM OSes

(Windows on ARM can run most of the regular Windows x86 applications. You can download the Parallels Desktop trial and install the application you need.)

Ubuntu 20.10, 20.04

Debian GNU/Linux 10.7

Kali Linux 2021.1

I literally loaded the new Parallels last night with Win10 ARM preview and ran an absolute pile of garbage software (the stuff my employer writes) and it runs perfectly fine under Windows' x86 emulation. It's like i'm back in the Alpha days and I'm running x86 apps on NT4 via Windows on Windows NTVDM! It's actually performant, too—it's perfectly usable. I have no idea how well it runs on an ARM-based surface, but this is an unoptimized, pile of garbage software full of legacy crap and it actually works pretty well in Parallels on the M1. I wouldn't depend on it if I needed 100% high performance, but subjectively it's no worse than running the same thing on a VM on a nearby intel MBP that's a few years old.

Now, the Mac version of this software running under rosetta is still way faster and snappier, but this isn't unusable. What a time to be alive.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 15, 2021

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Docker Desktop for Mac supports Apple Silicon - https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/15/docker-for-mac-apple-silicon/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple should try to use whatever leverage they have with Microsoft to get them to eventually allow the release version of Windows 10 ARM to run on VMs like Parallels.

it'll only provide mo' money for them from M1 sales..

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sure would be nice if they get around to supporting networking some day as well

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Ubuntu 20.10, 20.04

Debian GNU/Linux 10.7

Kali Linux 2021.1

So when can I run CEMU on my M1 Mini so I can play altered Breath of The Wild on it?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there a better PDF viewer than Preview? I am getting pretty frustrated with how Preview handles searching long documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is there a better PDF viewer than Preview? I am getting pretty frustrated with how Preview handles searching long documents.

May I recommend Skim? I stopped reading Preview a while back for similar reasons.