Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Grabbing buffs isn't so bad except once in a while you can't hit the drat head/tail for the entire subzone. Anyway, it's usually not an issue at all. You can pick up Power Prolonger to make your life easier if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

wuggles posted:

If you like flying around in the air and doing lots of little numbers I could also recommend the Insect Glaive. The main hurdle people have with IG is that you have to keep up buffs, but once you upgrade your kinsect once or twice it's easy to keep them up.

What do you mean by upgrade, do you just mean the kinsects you can buy later? (Namely the dual-colour ones.)

I've been messing with IG over the last day or so - seems fun, but need to get the hang of the aerial stuff.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Oxyclean posted:

What do you mean by upgrade, do you just mean the kinsects you can buy later? (Namely the dual-colour ones.)

Yeah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Insect Glaive is incredibly fun once you've gotten used to being a flying death whirl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF32DRg9opA

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont know if you meant to post the ducktales soundtrack or not but it owns so ill allow it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i dont know if you meant to post the ducktales soundtrack or not but it owns so ill allow it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc6AHtM8qKM
but the frog is the IG user.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Batterypowered7 posted:

E: I believe there's an auto-translated message that says "Let's trap the monster"

Yes there is, and unfortunately, there isn't an equivalent for "Please dear Lord let me carve this magnamalo"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Feels good to pick a sparkly off the ground and find out it's a plate

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
is doing the hub quests solo feasible in rise once the difficulty starts to ramp up a little? I'm not wholly opposed to multiplayer but I'm enjoying the village stuff on my own and since this is my first mh game and i'm super hot garbage at even the simple weapons i'm not interested yet in sharing my lack of skill with other people.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Princeps32 posted:

is doing the hub quests solo feasible in rise once the difficulty starts to ramp up a little? I'm not wholly opposed to multiplayer but I'm enjoying the village stuff on my own and since this is my first mh game and i'm super hot garbage at even the simple weapons i'm not interested yet in sharing my lack of skill with other people.

Absolutely. In some cases I find solo faster and easier. I once did a 4 person Mizutsune hunt where we failed after 13 minutes, so I decided to try out the sword and shield and solo'd it in 10 with a weapon I didn't use that much

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hub quests are 100% soloable and they're properly scaled from 1-4 people. village quests are intentionally lowered in difficulty, while the hub is 'normal'. the only thing i'd say is more fun with multiplayer is the rampages, but part of that is because it's less stressful that way and also carting doesn't matter in that mode.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Princeps32 posted:

As others have said, you can solo it just fine, but dont worry about not being great. If you play with randoms you are highly unlikely to be the worst person in the lobby, and if you play with goons they hopefully won't care and would even help you improve

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If you don't know the monster hang back a bit. No one cares if you spend the first few minutes dodging and figuring stuff out. Much better than carting. Everyone is paying so much attention at where their hits are landing to not knock each other over and what the monster is doing that they have little time to see you are just sitting there pretending to do damage.

what I'm trying to say is go at your own pace, not getting hit is more important than hitting.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Princeps32 posted:

doing all the hub quests solo is a lot of fun. the 1v1 nature of it helps you get a much better sense for the monster too, which carries over into multiplayer so you know vaguely where to stand and when to dodge.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Are there any recommended MH Youtubers to keep an eye on beyond Arekkz and gaijin hunter?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the most important thing is to do it the way you want to. there's no 'e-honor' bullshit. no one cares if you did every single mission by yourself first. if you want to then absolutely go for it and have fun. if you want to hop into a million multiplayer fights and get credits for everything then absolutely do that, instead. everyone learns in their own way and a lot of the fun with monster hunter is just learning what style of play you enjoy and getting better at it, no matter the path you take.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Kirios posted:

Are there any recommended MH Youtubers to keep an eye on beyond Arekkz and gaijin hunter?

SDShepard, Phemto, Canta Per Me, Team Darkside

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

the most important thing is to do it the way you want to. there's no 'e-honor' bullshit. no one cares if you did every single mission by yourself first. if you want to then absolutely go for it and have fun. if you want to hop into a million multiplayer fights and get credits for everything then absolutely do that, instead. everyone learns in their own way and a lot of the fun with monster hunter is just learning what style of play you enjoy and getting better at it, no matter the path you take.

Monster Hunter basically runs on fighting games or (real) Souls rules: All that matters is winning or having fun. Doesn't really matter what tricks, tools or help you use to get there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

quote:

Monster Hunter Megathread: The long-awaited sequel to Okami

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Speaking of being carted, I just gave up on Uragaan after being carted at least 10 times. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do to keep from getting splatted. He OHKOs me unless I am perfect with my dodges or blocks. Any advice?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If I have to hear those two kids making weird grunts while eating dango next to the village quest maiden one more time

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Oldstench posted:

Speaking of being carted, I just gave up on Uragaan after being carted at least 10 times. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do to keep from getting splatted. He OHKOs me unless I am perfect with my dodges or blocks. Any advice?

upgrade your armor. Uragaan packs a punch but he shouldn't be one-shotting you unless you're wearing wet paper

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Oldstench posted:

If you're getting one-shot then you REALLY need to upgrade your armor.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The biggest boosts to defense are going from LR armor to HR armor or spending Armor Spheres on that HR armor to upgrade it. The latter preferably once you've gotten a set together you plan to use for awhile but spheres are generally not too bad to acquire so if it helps you not get splatted it's still worth it to spend them on what you got.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Oldstench posted:

post ur build

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

the third rank of bubble dance make it so that if you dodge a few times you get inflicted with bubbleblight

That makes sense, I had first interpreted it as "inflict blight on nearby monsters" which confused me. Hell yeah I'm doing this, gonna bring back my WOW brewmaster monk in Monhun.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

That makes sense, I had first interpreted it as "inflict blight on nearby monsters" which confused me. Hell yeah I'm doing this, gonna bring back my WOW brewmaster monk in Monhun.

Double bubble trouble!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Oldstench posted:

He OHKOs me unless I am perfect with my dodges or blocks. Any advice?

dodge and block perfectly

(but yeah upgrade your armor)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oldstench posted:

In addition to "upgrade our armor," you might have more luck with a more defensive weapon like the lance, or a more evasive one like the Insect Glaive. I personally have more experience with the Insect Glaive, and it is drat handy being able to vault over Uragaan when he pulls his bullshit.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Is there a good starter HR gunlance I should look for? I've never played it and I think I kinda want to rocket boost around and blow monsters up.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Is there a good starter HR gunlance I should look for? I've never played it and I think I kinda want to rocket boost around and blow monsters up.

Bnahabra (Ice) was my first GL upgrade when I got into HR for ease of accessibility. If you're further along I'd recommend the Rathian Line for normal shelling. I used Rathalos for Long shelling until I was able to craft the Howlitzer.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

AFAIK raw and elemental damage don't apply to your shelling skills, so you pretty much want the highest shell level of 5 for whatever shell type you're going for. Fortunately there's one of each type, but unfortunately there's only one of each type, so you're pretty much locked in to Rathian (normal), Howlitzer (long), or the Corn Popper (wide). Or you could do a slaplancing build I guess

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Diephoon posted:

Bnahabra (Ice) was my first GL upgrade when I got into HR for ease of accessibility. If you're further along I'd recommend the Rathian Line for normal shelling. I used Rathalos for Long shelling until I was able to craft the Howlitzer.

I'm on Canyne II and am psyched for the Howlitzer. I got a lot of use from the Magnamalo GL too. I moved onto Canyne II for the blue sharpness (that lasts for about five attacks).

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Just following the bone line until you can start making the dog and corn gunlances worked out pretty well for me.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

the one you think looks the coolest

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Thanks! Bone and Dog gunlances here I come!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

post ur build

Phone posting so I can't look it up, but it's whatever decent LR armor I was running with a couple of pieces maxed so ~200 defense.

Silver Falcon posted:

In addition to "upgrade our armor," you might have more luck with a more defensive weapon like the lance, or a more evasive one like the Insect Glaive. I personally have more experience with the Insect Glaive, and it is drat handy being able to vault over Uragaan when he pulls his bullshit.

Switched from lance to charge blade. Maybe I'll switch back for this fight?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I have picked up Insect Glaive. I have to get used to it still but being all floaty and deliberate in the air is certainly unique! Is sheathing really the fastest way to get your Kinsect back after you've sent it out? Any recommendations on good glaives to make? It's been a hot minute since I've used this weapon, not since 4U, so there's a lot of new stuff to learn seems like. Really, any advice is good advice.

I actually find Lance kind of bad for Uragaan since it always takes chip damage from his rolls, aka the thing you really want to be able to block. Something really mobile would probably be best to just get out of the way of it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does sheathing recall your kinsect faster than ZR+A (or right trigger+O if you're playing World)?

In any case it's probably my favorite weapon. I love that it hits hard and fast and has great defensive potential if you get good at jumping over poo poo. Plus it gives you another little buddy which is what MH is all about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Oldstench posted:

Phone posting so I can't look it up, but it's whatever decent LR armor I was running with a couple of pieces maxed so ~200 defense.

Found your problem. Even the most basic high rank bone armor is gonna be a huge improvement.