Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, growing up in the southern US, I always remember it being used as synonym for "hippie" or "bohemian".

I'm pretty sure it's still seen that way by alot of people, since the local cidery in my area is called Gypsy Circus Cider Company, and it definitely has a bohemian vibe (and I'm not aware of anyone protesting the name in the decade it's been in business, even after expanding into one of the major cities in the state).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like the hinchback of Notre Dame in which this discussion is based on is both sympathetic and racist as gently caress against the Roma.

Like they sing a whole song about how they are all hucksters and cheats

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

christmas boots posted:

Traditionally it hasn't carried the same negative connotations in the States that it does in Europe which hasn't really helped the word fall out of usage. Not that I'm saying it should still be used.

IIRC I didn't really even realize they were a distinct ethnic group when I was growing up instead of just a life style and the whole thing seemed pretty romanticized

It was a loving RPG class in games through most of the 90s

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

It was a loving RPG class in games through most of the 90s

lol wait what? This does not ring any bells to me.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

empty baggie posted:

I'm pretty sure it's still seen that way by alot of people, since the local cidery in my area is called Gypsy Circus Cider Company, and it definitely has a bohemian vibe (and I'm not aware of anyone protesting the name in the decade it's been in business, even after expanding into one of the major cities in the state).

Ok thing is, did anyone ask the local Roma if they minded the use of Gypsy or Bohemian? Are there local Roma or is this is like when white people use sketchy language in a closed room and go “well I didn’t hear anyone complaining”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

xtal posted:

It's so bad that has a derogatory verb form, and it's so common that you'll hear it in popular culture.

When I was a teenager people would use the word "jewed" in the same sense, which was horrible and racist, but Jew isn't an inherently derogatory term.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Ok thing is, did anyone ask the local Roma if they minded the use of Gypsy or Bohemian? Are there local Roma or is this is like when white people use sketchy language in a closed room and go “well I didn’t hear anyone complaining”

I'm not trying to defend it, but yeah, it's ran by a bunch of pseudo hippies in a very red area of a very red state.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

christmas boots posted:

lol wait what? This does not ring any bells to me.

Sorry, my mistake, it was a whole role playing game.

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/World_of_Darkness:_Gypsies

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

empty baggie posted:

A shocking number of Americans don’t realize that the Roma are even real. Seriously a lot of people mentally categorize them with leprechauns and mermaids and stuff.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I think that whole thing gets confusing since we still have shows with that word in the title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy_Sisters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Big_Fat_American_Gypsy_Wedding

Like, it's clearly still a slur! But combining having recent shows on major networks with that word in the title, as well as the fact that we basically learn nothing about Roma people in US public school other than "they were one of the groups that the Nazis wanted dead", I'm not surprised that a lot of folks don't know the history of that word and that they maybe shouldn't use it. A movie using the term in 1997 isn't surprising at ALL.

It's only in the past two years or so that the MST3K character Gypsy has been renamed GPC.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just that there seems to be a pervasive effort to expunge it, in fact they just renamed the MST3K character to

Powered Descent posted:

It's only in the past two years or so that the MST3K character Gypsy has been renamed GPC.

God DAMMIT

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Sorry, my mistake, it was a whole role playing game.

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/World_of_Darkness:_Gypsies

I mean let's not use WoD: Gypsy (or the Ravnos, or.. well, most WoD stuff that isn't about lily white people) to say it wasn't racist. WoD: Gypsy was how I first realized it was a lovely racist term. (I'm also from the Southern US and thought it was just like 'vagabond psychic' until I was in my early 20's.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

learnincurve posted:

There's ~1 million Romani-Americans or so

https://web.archive.org/web/20101019220031/http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2025316,00.html

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/zenalbatross/status/1382721639700385793

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
"It's that Bowling for Soup song, isn't it? Gonna get a hot MILF with a midlife crisis!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

I mean let's not use WoD: Gypsy (or the Ravnos, or.. well, most WoD stuff that isn't about lily white people) to say it wasn't racist. WoD: Gypsy was how I first realized it was a lovely racist term. (I'm also from the Southern US and thought it was just like 'vagabond psychic' until I was in my early 20's.)

I wasn't trying to say that's an example of the word not being racist, I was saying that's an example of Americans having no loving idea it was racist.

Edit: also this

letthereberock posted:

A shocking number of Americans don’t realize that the Roma are even real. Seriously a lot of people mentally categorize them with leprechauns and mermaids and stuff.

The other games they published at the time you played a werewolf, a vampire, a ghost or a magician.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

I wasn't trying to say that's an example of the word not being racist, I was saying that's an example of Americans having no loving idea it was racist.

Edit: also this

The other games they published at the time you played a werewolf, a vampire, a ghost or a magician.

In fact, I don't think anyone itt is saying that.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

There are people with this name, and it shows up in baby name lists.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/JohnCleese/status/1382035246875516928

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, I think it's an "explanation, but not an excuse" thing. No one (as far as I can tell) is trying to say it isn't a slur, only trying to explain how many people don't know it's a slur since the word has been used casually, even into the 2000s.

^^^ Speaking of slurs, John Cleese being an rear end in a top hat is how I learned a new homophobic one from the UK. "Poofter"

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Would it surprise anyone at all that we have far far worse words in the U.K. for travellers that make Gypsy seem like a fluffy kitten in comparison

Yeah, it's definitely still a controversial term, but I've never heard anyone who disliked travellers say 'gypsy' when they can say 'gyppo' or 'pikey' instead.

Unless they were a politician who stops just short of flinging the nastier slurs while still openly arguing for them to have fewer rights, like this guy.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Most americans exposure to "gypsies" are those TLC shows where very white non-travelling people who call themselves "gypsies" buy $10,000 wedding dresses for 14 year olds

Couple that with the american understanding that racism = skin color and its easy to see why americans don't see it the same way as europeans where being "white" seems more about splitting cultural hairs than melanin

Then add that everyone sees their own country's culture/viewpoints to be the center of the universe/correct...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean even then the 90s were a Wild West were you could be openly racist in media and no one really cares as long as you didn’t use the N word

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Bismuth posted:

Person in youtube comments arguing that nonbinary people should use "folx" because "folks" is for cis people, which is an incredibly online take since they're pronounced the same when spoken and messes with screen readers

Does it bug anyone else that when Online People decide they're gonna "get real" they start using the word "y'all"? Why?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

christmas boots posted:

IIRC I didn't really even realize they were a distinct ethnic group when I was growing up instead of just a life style and the whole thing seemed pretty romanticized
:hmmyes:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I'll pretend that was on purpose

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

Does it bug anyone else that when Online People decide they're gonna "get real" they start using the word "y'all"? Why?

y'all and folks, because they want to fit in I guess

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

As an offering to the thread for contributing to the slur derail, have some of this!

For context, Lindsay Ellis is a long-time "critical analyst" (whatever the term is) of media. I think she used to pal around with Nostalgia Critic until she nope'd out of that group?

So a few weeks ago, she posted this.

https://twitter.com/SequiturV3/status/1382745777655713792

Apparently this upset a lot of people. From what I understand, she was basically showing her rear end by saying "Movie about Asia featuring a lot of Asian cast members is basically like the made-by-white-people Avatar: TLA." People called her out, and I believe she apologized. That's cool and good, right?

Well, today, she posted this, and a lot of people are not happy:

https://twitter.com/EphramOliver/status/1382732467363270662

https://twitter.com/padmrey/status/1382752343347712005

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
"if you squint" was one of the most unintentionally hilarious tweets I've ever read

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Twitter is such a flaming garbage heap. And it's armed with pitch forks.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Scratch Monkey posted:

Theyre appropriating yee yee culture

Its the text equivalent of the anti-drug speaker sitting in a chair backwards to talk to the kids

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Lindsey bad probably

https://twitter.com/jourdayen/status/1382755669573574656?s=20

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

mng posted:

Twitter is such a flaming garbage heap. And it's armed with pitch forks.

Held by 15 year olds who have no world view outside of Anime.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Everyone’s fine with ratios until it hits their personal favorites

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
God help you if you insult cartoons on twitter. It could be some obscure Hitler fan comic and 12 people will lose it at you for 3 days over a perceived slight.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they think they're helping

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

That...corn? Mac and cheese? Is upsetting.

Also why does his avatar look like Martin Shkreli?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The only thing I miss about the deep south is the food, but man do I miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

That...corn? Mac and cheese? Is upsetting.
Looks like loose corn on grits which, as a Texan, is upsetting.

might also be distressing creamed corn

stringless has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Apr 15, 2021