Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Oh, those poor things. At least they got to live out their days with a happy human caretaker.

On Kookaburras - I'm not saying to hurt them, but now would be the time I get aggressive about chasing them off. Flock is family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i was wrong! the kookaburras didn't get echidna. he got trapped in a small space and is now home safe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

perepelki posted:

i was wrong! the kookaburras didn't get echidna. he got trapped in a small space and is now home safe.

He is the Quail of Prophecy; The One Who Returned :worship:.

I'm glad they're okay. :unsmith:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

We think one of our chickens in egg bound, gave her a bath last night but no improvement this morning so it's off to the vet with her.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh poo poo, I am so sorry.

perepelki posted:

:unsmith:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Captain Log posted:

Flock is family.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Glad echidna is safe

Captain Log posted:

Flock is family.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

what a rollercoaster of emotions

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I almost had a heart attack today. The chicks are 5 weeks old and I have a temporary pen outside for them on warm days. It's pretty warm today so I had them out in it and I have the door open to the outside in the room I'm working in. I suddenly started hearing the chick distress call. I look outside the door and the red shoulder hawk that lives in my front yard was perched on top of the temp pen. I let out a loud gasp which scared it away! The temp pen has a top so they were fine but I was paranoid that the chicks could squeeze out through some of the gaps like a bunch of idiots so I spent a bunch of time securing it better. The whole time the hawk kept circling around every couple minutes.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

We think one of our chickens in egg bound, gave her a bath last night but no improvement this morning so it's off to the vet with her.

Good luck with your chicken!

It was pretty cold here and today of all days my broody hen decided to switch nests. She’s been absolutely rock solid on her chosen nest up til today. Her 2 real eggs and 4 golf balls were cold when I went out to check. I brought the eggs inside and stuck them in the incubator in hopes they will survive but I’m doubtful. I candled the incubator eggs and 6 of them are alive. We will see how many chicks we end up with for her to raise. Poor little egglings.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

those are two chicklets who are prepared to live a dangerous, yet glamorous life

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Joburg posted:

Good luck with your chicken!

We took her to the vet who gave her some antibiotics and we separated her from the other 2. We were keeping her inside at night because it was getting so cold here. Sadly she just died this evening, she was getting weaker and weaker and just sitting more and more all day.

Here she is having a bath, poor Ada.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

One of my chickens keeps laying eggs on the back doorstep. I appreciate you bringing the eggs closer to the house, chicken, but the nest box was fine???

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Very considerate, really

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Aramoro posted:

We took her to the vet who gave her some antibiotics and we separated her from the other 2. We were keeping her inside at night because it was getting so cold here. Sadly she just died this evening, she was getting weaker and weaker and just sitting more and more all day.

you did the best you could in her final days :sympathy: she would have really appreciated you keeping her warm and safe when she was feeling sick

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

RIP Ada. You were loved.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Aramoro posted:

:rip:

I'm sorry for your loss. You gave her a good life and did your best for her at the end :sympathy:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh no, I'm so sorry for Ada. Poor girl. :(

Nettle Soup posted:

One of my chickens keeps laying eggs on the back doorstep. I appreciate you bringing the eggs closer to the house, chicken, but the nest box was fine???

They're bartering for access to the special human place where scraps and treats and who-knows-what-other-chicken-delights are stored.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Sorry about Ada :(

I now have 4 broody hens. My plan is to give hen 1 the incubator chicks and order chicks for the other mamas. It’s going to be a wild time!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i'm going back to university to get funding for an ecologically restorative chicken sanctuary and private green cemetery

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

perepelki posted:

private green cemetery
for both humans and birds

unrelated:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

perepelki posted:

i'm going back to university to get funding for an ecologically restorative chicken sanctuary and private green cemetery

I would absolutely go in a plot next to my flock.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Captain Log posted:

I would absolutely go in a plot next to my flock.
actually

i'm moving back to the big city next year (the quail are coming too, i'm going to make it a thing). i'm thinking back to when i last lived in a city seven years ago, and one big logistical problem is a lack of pet semetaries. every vet offers cremation, but i don't want to cremate my pets and i'm sure many others feel the same way. a potential business opportunity!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i get asked occasionally if quail can be kept in an apartment, and the answer is that i have no idea. but soon i will.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

perepelki posted:

i get asked occasionally if quail can be kept in an apartment, and the answer is that i have no idea. but soon i will.

I know some folks out here in Portland who keep quail indoors. If they get plenty of time to roam around, they seem happy as clams!

The important things for a bird are -

- Part of a flock
- Full of food
- Intellectually stimulated

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Captain Log posted:

I know some folks out here in Portland who keep quail indoors. If they get plenty of time to roam around, they seem happy as clams!

The important things for a bird are -

- Part of a flock
- Full of food
- Intellectually stimulated
i will be living alone, and my dog loves quail poo so will clean up after them. i guess i could try it...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i want indoor quail right now, dammit. i miss those burbly little orbs.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

my cats would not be kind.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We are beginning fixing up our chicken pen v 2.0. The first one wasn't secure enough from hawks. This one is going to have an inner super max secure area that we could leave them in for a couple days unattended if needed. Thankfully, two of the sides are already against a previously built fence. The measurements for the large mediumly secured area are 60' x 30'. My post hole digger is going to get a lot of work!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

perepelki posted:

i will be living alone, and my dog loves quail poo so will clean up after them. i guess i could try it...

Our dog sometimes gets into the poop during cleaning of the chicken coop and it gives him the runs and stomach issues each time. We keep him away from it but aren't always successful. Not sure if your dog is gonna have a good time with eating that on the regular.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I like having chickens, but I don't think I could live forever with birds in my house. Five more weeks until my chicks can be permanently outside. They're just so dirty. Cleaning their cage twice a day, the feathers, the feather powder (which is bad for your heath), etc.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

That Works posted:

Our dog sometimes gets into the poop during cleaning of the chicken coop and it gives him the runs and stomach issues each time. We keep him away from it but aren't always successful. Not sure if your dog is gonna have a good time with eating that on the regular.
oh he already does, lol. it doesn't seem to bother him at all, but he's fifteen and was a semi-wild dog for most of his youth, so has a strong stomach and the bowels of a hyena

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i'm determined to keep the quail, they must remain a single flock, and luckily i don't have to move for a long while, so these are the outcomes i am contemplating in order to keep us all together until i can afford to buy a house with a backyard (lol):

- i get an apartment with a courtyard or a very sturdy balcony on which i can keep the quail in cages and also a potted garden to keep them entertained (best case scenario)
- i get an apartment with a flimsy little balcony that i can't trust with 40kg of soil and plants, but i can mesh in the whole railing and put a net over the top so the whole balcony becomes a coop
- i rent part of some rich old person's backyard
- i install the quail in a run in the grounds of a school (with permission) as a live low-maintenance educational resource
- i convince the university where i'll be studying conservation biology that the quail are important research subjects and deserve a safe spot of their own on-campus
- i live with the quail inside my apartment like a primeval european hedge witch (worst case scenario)

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

I don't think it would be terribly helpful wrt the technical considerations, but you might enjoy the book That Quail, Robert about an indoor quail.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

City of Glompton posted:

I don't think it would be terribly helpful wrt the technical considerations, but you might enjoy the book That Quail, Robert about an indoor quail.
thank you! i think i probably will enjoy that quail, robert

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

perepelki posted:

thank you! i think i probably will enjoy that quail, robert

Oh, poo poo - I read that book as a kid!! Not much recollection of it, except for the title, though.

More recently read "Enslaved by Ducks", which has been mentioned here before.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i just like the title! we always used to call felafel "that quail" or "that felafel", without having heard of robert. apparently there's something inherent in quail that insists they be referred to in such a way

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’ve been setting out a game camera to see how the chickens are getting out of the fence next to the road. Apparently I’m bad at setting up the camera and it was aimed at the sky mostly. But I did manage to get this picture of the majestic Bronco in profile.

And I caught a picture of what I assume to be an owl with how late it was in the evening.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

That is one contemplative chicken pic.

How do I get past this? I've got to get to the other side of that road!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the quail have learnt to squawk, and now they get raucous at me whenever i'm late with their morning grain. i get no peace