Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

Nope. The reason he started this was a run of terrible adaptations of his work like the film From Hell. After that and LXG (let us not call it by the comic's title) in particular where a producer talked up how much Moore loved the movie, Moore started demanding his name not be used on things.

At first Moore didn't give a poo poo about terrible adaptations of his work, it was a free royalty check, and he probably didn't give a gently caress about LXG except he ended up getting involved in a lawsuit over it that was specifically about poo poo they changed from his comic being stolen from another writer (Tom Sawyer being in the movie). It was a frivolous lawsuit from an insane woman who also claims the scripts for Terminator and The Matrix were stolen from her, but he had to hire a lawyer because of it and that's what caused him to completely disavow any adaptation of his work.

He specifically requested his name not be attached to the Zach Snyder Watchman film in any way whatsoever, and gave his royalties to Dave Gibbons, so I don't know if they asked him or not about other Watchman spin-offs, or just continued to do that , but I'm sure he doesn't mind his name not being in the comic. That's honestly probably why it's Frank Miller and not Alan Moore in the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How could someone steal the script of the Terminator from her when it was stolen from Harlan Ellison

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

How could someone steal the script of the Terminator from her when it was stolen from Harlan Ellison

Every Hollywood film (and a lot of other media, but it always happens with movies) gets someone coming out of the woodwork to sue the studio for "stealing" their idea. It has happened, but ideas are cheap and easy. "What if I put a bunch of public domain characters together as action heroes!" wasn't an new idea when Moore created the League. The thing is, for anything that might have even the slightest bit of traction, studios find it way easier to say, "Okay, you had something similar. How about we give you ten thousand dollars and you go away," than to fight it.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Marauders #16. It's been consistently excellent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Glob in the centre panel just reassessing the whole situation. "Oh my gosh, Mr Shaw is hurt- oh, Ms Pryde is the one who hurt him... maybe he did something bad?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Marauders 16 was so loving cathartic.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Gaz-L posted:

Glob in the centre panel just reassessing the whole situation. "Oh my gosh, Mr Shaw is hurt- oh, Ms Pryde is the one who hurt him... maybe he did something bad?"

"I ain't loving with her, she's scary."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

All-Flash #1 (1941)

Scarlet Spiders #1 (2015)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Darthemed posted:

Scarlet Spiders #1 (2015)

Who is that? I’m inclined to say Ben Reilly buy he’s not blond

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
https://twitter.com/calebandrew/status/1382538412561887239

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

thetoughestbean posted:

Who is that? I’m inclined to say Ben Reilly buy he’s not blond
It's a blond Ben Reilly. Not sure if there's an explanation in an issue somewhere before this miniseries as to his hair color change.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Darthemed posted:

It's a blond Ben Reilly. Not sure if there's an explanation in an issue somewhere before this miniseries as to his hair color change.

Blondes have more fun.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

He's from an alternate world, that's all you really need.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Original Ben was blonde, he dyed his hair when he made the costume. What are you guys talking about?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rhyno posted:

Original Ben was blonde, he dyed his hair when he made the costume. What are you guys talking about?

Now my spider man knowledge might not be up to date but isn’t he a clone of Peter Parker, a brunette

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

thetoughestbean posted:

Now my spider man knowledge might not be up to date but isn’t he a clone of Peter Parker, a brunette

He got all the recessive genes :ocelot:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Relatable content from Iron Man #8.

Somewhat less relatable, from Batman: The Detective #1.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 15, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is that midnighter in a batsuit

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Somewhat less relatable, from Batman: The Detective #1.

looks like rockabilly batman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thetoughestbean posted:

I said right there that he dyed his hair. As Spider-Man Ben was blonde.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is the confusion here that while Ben did his hair, these panels seem like he's a clone who has yet to escape a clone facility so he should still have Pete's brown hair?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bucnasti posted:

looks like rockabilly batman.

Are the bat ears made of his hair? If not why not?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lobok posted:

Is the confusion here that while Ben did his hair, these panels seem like he's a clone who has yet to escape a clone facility so he should still have Pete's brown hair?

It's the other way around actually, he and Ultimate Jessica Drew are sneaking into a cloning facility.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Probably not as funny as it is in my head

Asbestos Lady, she won't kill you right away but in a few years, oh buddy...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey when it's the late forties and you've already had your fire guy fight a water guy you only have so many obvious options left.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

bessantj posted:

If that's from the storyline I'm thinking of (it might not be!), it was printed around the time asbestos bans and limitations on its manufacture were becoming a major talking point, after like sixty years of scientists knowing it was immensely carcinogenic but the industry successfully lobbying against regulation. So in that way it might be kind of analogous to supervillains themed around, like, hazardous nuclear waste that became en vogue when radioactive waste disposal was an issue in the spotlight.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lol, actually, on looking it up, Asbestos Lady was not invented for that flashback but is in fact an original WW2 era Human Torch villain, because of asbestos' flame-retardant properties. That's actually really funny.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense. who else is going to fight sets-you-on-fire-man?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Android Blues posted:

Lol, actually, on looking it up, Asbestos Lady was not invented for that flashback but is in fact an original WW2 era Human Torch villain, because of asbestos' flame-retardant properties. That's actually really funny.

Haha I was going to guess that actually.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is that Brick Frog from the Venture Bros?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

"Oh, and Namor was there too, but he's an rear end in a top hat."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zaodai posted:

Is that Brick Frog from the Venture Bros?

Haha that's Frog-Man!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's Frog-Man

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Asbestos Lady is possibly best known for giving us this classic panel:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Android Blues posted:

If that's from the storyline I'm thinking of (it might not be!), it was printed around the time asbestos bans and limitations on its manufacture were becoming a major talking point, after like sixty years of scientists knowing it was immensely carcinogenic but the industry successfully lobbying against regulation. So in that way it might be kind of analogous to supervillains themed around, like, hazardous nuclear waste that became en vogue when radioactive waste disposal was an issue in the spotlight.

I was thinking of this exact thing recently. Like the cocaine villain from the 80s. Have any new villains been created recently based on current cultural ills? Like is there a social media villain out there?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

In the third Batman: Arkham Asylum game (the bad one, I don't remember what it's called), there was a collectivist anarchist villain who really seemed to leverage that schtick. I vaguely recall him being called like Vox Populi or something?

Edit: I looked things up. It was Arkham Origins, and the guy's name is Anarky, who evidently appeared in Detective Comics 608. For what that's worth

Double edit: he's from the late 80s I guess, but goddamn if he didn't give me real flashmob social media organizing vibes in the game

mercenarynuker fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 16, 2021

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

I was thinking of this exact thing recently. Like the cocaine villain from the 80s. Have any new villains been created recently based on current cultural ills? Like is there a social media villain out there?

Most social media companies are run by the worst scum of the earth and are very villainous.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

mercenarynuker posted:

In the third Batman: Arkham Asylum game (the bad one, I don't remember what it's called), there was a collectivist anarchist villain who really seemed to leverage that schtick. I vaguely recall him being called like Vox Populi or something?

Anarchy has actually been around in comics since 1989, so he’s not a quick grab at the zeitgeist. I’m trying to remember the name of the absolute dogshit team of “woke” villains that Sam Wilson fought as Captain America but all I can remember is one of them throwing a grenade while shouting about trigger warnings.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bucnasti posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Ah yes, the "annoying mini-games in a pretty good game otherwise"-themed villain.